• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot: Kojima to leave Konami after MGSV, power struggle, communications embargo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Well that's that Konami you used to have a good run (pre PS3 Era) and some of your titles have been missed for so long but without Kojima I expect MGS to go down the same path as Capcom's Mega Man.

I wonder what's going to become of Silent Hills now...

Branson

I fucking love Metal Gear. But at the same time I want to see something else from Kojima. Hopefully this lets him do that. I see this as possibly a good thing. Bad if Konami milks the franchise after this.

I met Hideo Kojima back in an industry event in Koln in the autumn of 2006, where he was signing autographs for fans.

The queue was abating towards the end of the night and Kojima was talking in Japanese to a management type, so I walked up. I shook him by the hand and said I just wanted to quickly thank him for his games, and he smiled and nodded and said something quietly about me being too kind. The manager turned away to look down the hall, and Kojima suddenly gripped my hand tighter than I ever though possible, so much so that I let out a tiny yelp, and pulled me right next to his face to whisper 'Everything I do is pain'. All the love had gone from his eyes. The manager turned around, but by that time Kojima has let go of me and was smiling and nodding and mumbling something in broken English; 'so kind, th-thank you', etc.

I watched him from afar, other fans occasionally coming to greet him. My hand was still red the next day.

lol

Nzyme32

The good thing is that it seem Kojima is very connected thanks to being very public and in control of the work he has done and the people he has collaborated with. I'd assume the majority of people would be supporting him and ready to help him out when he needs it after all he has done.

Sami+

CY3iJ4l.png

God I hate this shit so much.

Konami has really worked hard for this end. It is amazing that they have lasted this long in an enviorment where Capcom and Sega are barely keeping their head above water.

They have spent the last decade making bad desicions.

Elandyll

Banned
Save him from what?

In some ways, it would make a lot of sense for SCEJ to offer a spot to Kojima in house. After Ueda's depature a few years back, they could be looking for a Veteran?

On the other hand, I could very well see Kojima being done with big corporations that determine his ideas and work.

Like ... for ever?

But on the third hand ... he probably likes to have nice budgets to take his time on gigantic projects.

:shrug:

It's just sad he won't be able to oversee his last baby from beginning to end, as it looks like his hands will be tied as far as MGS V's promo will go.

PS: If I was Sony, Id have been in touch with Kojima about this like yesterday, and have already contacted Konami about a possible deal on buying or co-publishing MGS, Silent Hill and ZOE. But what do I know? :)

HA!

But honestly, I wish Kojima the best...I now secretly wish that he and Yu Suzuki would team up to make a game together (...not Shenmue).

THAT would be awesome. But yeah, it couldn't be Shenmue. Shenmue is very slow paced and even relaxing at times. MGS has always been the opposite, even if it isn't a run-n-gun game.

HeelPower

Silent Hills dies before it was ever born. Brings a whole new meaning to that fetus in PT.

PT was indeed too good to be true.

One of the greatest ways to reveal a game + 100% free and playable demo with great visuals+ ambitious revival to a Franchise strongly in need of new life.

This is just unlikely now.

Gleethor

Konami doesn't care about video games anymore, that much is clear. I wish they'd sell their IPs to someone who does, doubt it happens.

great exclusive for Gamespot. There's your games journalism, people. As far as Kojima leaving and metal gear ending (dead to me anyway) I say FUCKING FANTASTIC NEWS. Now Kojima can actually do something different.

Afrodium

Banned
Honestly, I think this is great news. Kojima's a visionary who has been forced to make Metal Gear games far longer than he wanted to. I'm excited to see what he'll be able to do with pure creative freedom.

thefro

Sad. Will be very interesting to see where everyone decides to land at.

I don't see a great fit at most of the Japanese third parties (either they're in the same boat as Konami where Kojima wouldn't have control, or they don't have the funding).

aerts1js

Quoting this as it's important for people to realize.

Konami wasn't a console gaming company that did mobile games and health stuff on the side.

It's a mobile gaming/health company that did console games on the side.

This isn't a mortal blow in the least.

When people say RIP Konamii I'm pretty sure they meaning the gaming side of it.

If Microsoft wanted to try again with Japan, trying to land Kojima's next game as an Xbox One exclusive would certainly help.

Assuming of course that is something Kojima would be amenable to doing.

So Kojima finally breaks free from Metal gear series through corporate politics. It might not be the way he imagined it, but I think it is for the best. He can work anywhere he wants.

Wakka212

Kojima will be totally fine after this. Konami is what we should be worried about haha

I really wanted that Silent Hills game to become a reality though...damn.

Sami+

The good thing is that it seem Kojima is very connected thanks to being very public and in control of the work he has done and the people he has collaborated with. I'd assume the majority of people would be supporting him and ready to help him out when he needs it after all he has done.

Yeah, I'm comfortable knowing he'll be fine in the end. He's secured his place in video game history.

He's up there with Miyamoto and Yokoi imo. A genius and a visionary.

Elginer

QwHwyKU.jpg

Told my buddy about this today. We've been friends since we were 12 (we're both 35 now) and remember playing MGS, MGS2 and MGS3 over and it just kind of hit us how much fun these games were and meant to us. Hell, he just bought a PS4 cuse I told him a new Metal Gear was coming out. Man, this fucking with my feelings hard if this is true.

Nzyme32

Guys...

Listen...

*whispers*

What if... Kojima went on Kickstarter?

200w.gif

This is the great thing though - he could do it, and people would support him.

Konami have spent years using Kojima's games and his name heavily as a marketing tool, making him more of a central figure to Metal Gear and other games over Konami's own name. Kojima will have no problem getting back on his feet, I just hope he can take as many of his team as he can with him

Sephzilla

Kojima and company are basically red hot gaming free agents right now. I don't doubt for a second that Sony and Microsoft aren't already trying to get a hold of him and lock him down.

Xpliskin

Publishers must already start lining up.

His phone will blow up between now and December.

The sad part is that Silent Hill and MGS's future is very uncertain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom