• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot: Kojima to leave Konami after MGSV, power struggle, communications embargo

Status
Not open for further replies.
THAT would be awesome. But yeah, it couldn't be Shenmue. Shenmue is very slow paced and even relaxing at times. MGS has always been the opposite, even if it isn't a run-n-gun game.

Of course, I'm not thinking of either franchise when I say both of them should work together. I'm just thinking Suzuki has plenty of ideas, Kojima has plenty of creative freedom once he's out of Konami (plus add to the fact that he could get funding for any project from anyone that wants to work with him)...it could be something truly special, but alas only a dream.

Hideo is a talented man and still pretty young. He'll be fine. Konami hasn't been heavily invested in consoles for years. They could drop that whole division and still be fine.

Somnid

Do people really think Konami is in trouble? Konami is more than a game company and they'll be fine. Don't hold your breath waiting for them to die and their IPs to be picked over by your favorite vultures.

Cliffnotes: Please read ShockingAlberto's posts.

A company in some ways is a collection of talent, if you have no talent then you won't do very well and Konami has lost effectively all of their gaming talent. Also, when people are leaving the company because it sucks it's demoralizing and new people don't want to work for you. So while you can coat it that the company is pivoting, in reality they're in uncharted waters and not killing it on anything in particular but have certainly lost their original strength. They might not wind up dead in the end but they are very much finished from a gaming standpoint.

Free from KONAMIDIE... Free from the System... Free from ID Control. Our minds free from their prisons. That is the haven I've yearned for, you're pretty good Hideo Kojima. Now form a new studio and kickstart one of your many projects you have always wanted to do, I'm down with that.

Nintendo get on this.

Regardless, I wish him the best he seemed like a good man.

He just might. I remember reading in PSM about 10 years back they had an article where the editors were giving their wildest predictions for the future. One of them believed that Kojima would leave Konami and work for Nintendo. This was right after Twin Snakes launched exclusively for the Gamecube.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Oh god it's worse than I thought. This news cuts deep. Such a shame that Kojima's prolific tenure at Konami will possibly end on a sour note :(

OG Loc

Kojima and company are basically red hot gaming free agents right now. I don't doubt for a second that Sony and Microsoft aren't already trying to get a hold of him and lock him down.

I really don't think Kojima wants to be locked down by another giant corporation. I wouldn't be surprised if he took a long break from making video games as a whole. Try new things and all that.

Sadist

Sure, Konami may not be done with it though assuming they keep the rights.

It wouldn't be completely unexpected to see some other reincarnation of the series as a new IP from Kojima in whatever studio or independent project he starts up later
Oh, I wouldn't worry too much about him. He'll get snatched up.

Konami though? The guy in charge of Metal Gear after MGSV will have one doozy of a job. Metal Gear was the one constant of the publisher in the past few years and looking at other series who got different directors or went in different directions... this might be the beginning of the end for Konami.

Nintendo, jump on this opportunity. Fuck Konami
giphy.gif

Could you pick a worse studio than Nintendo? The least story driven studio with the Kojima. Fucking lol. Can't wait to see what he does next.

Sephzilla

I really don't think Kojima wants to be locked down by another giant corporation. I wouldn't be surprised if he took a long break from making video games as a whole. Try new things and all that.

I don't think he'd get locked down at all but I imagine people are trying. I don't think he'll leave gaming at all, in fact I wonder if his output might increase now that he can try out new ideas

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
No way a proper Rising 2 is happening now either. Even if Konami greenlighted the project, Platinum seem the type who would refuse out of respect for Kojima.

Goddammit. Nothing good comes from this.

Jarmel

Banned

He loves gaming. Hell he had other videogame concepts that he very much wants to do. He's not going into retirement.

SMZC

This really is the last MG game, at for me. No way I'm touching the franchise after Kojima leaves, would never be right.

I don't understand these comments. We have absolutely no idea how any non-Kojima Metal Gear games could even turn out. As for the integrity of the original author's vision, Metal Gear never had that. Kojima himself more than once set out to change his original vision only to appease the fans. If anything, some new blood could do wonders to the series.

Pretty excited to see what Kojima does outside of this series too, although it sucks for those who were looking forward to Silent Hills.

I really like Kojima and really, really love Metal Gear. I even got a FOXHOUND patch tatoo on my right arm. This news hit me so hard that I feel like crying. It's just unbelievable. End of an era.

aerts1js

I don't understand these comments. We have absolutely no idea how any non-Kojima Metal Gear games could even turn out. As for the integrity of the original author's vision, Metal Gear never had that. Kojima himself more than once set out to change his original vision only to appease the fans. If anything, some new blood could do wonders to the series.

Pretty excited to see what Kojima does outside of this series too, although it sucks for those who were looking forward to Silent Hills.

Metal Gear IS trademark Kojima. That's why fans love the series so much... this isn't like call of duty or assassin's creed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom