• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamesRadar: Street Fighter V's backlash proves we value quantity over quality

Pompadour

Do you think there will be as many SF5 threads in Gaming Discussion in June as there are right now?

Were there that many SF5 threads in Gaming Discussion in October? 4 months in the past?

Is the guy who wrote the GameRadar article going to be writing about this game in June...was he doing it in October?

Gee it's like release date is special somehow. I can't figure it out

Yes, games sell their best at launch but not every company has to chase that model. I don't think Capcom is, either. I think they released it now at $60 to try and eat their cake and have it too. I'm sure they'll be fine in the long run.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
That isn't even my biggest complaint though. The microtransactions and currency is BS as well as the clearly hidden costumes in the story mode that Capcom will charge for later, but the online aspect is just the worst. It's like they took a step back even on competitive play.
No rematch, no spectator, no easy invites to games, this CFN is just a mess and not to the fact that even playing with my friends locally, it will abruptly stop since we were disconnected from the server(in a local game). A game with 4 betas and it still doesn't work.

As I said before, when you're in a match, we're good. But everything else is so bad.

The dlc stuff doesn't bother me at all. Just part of a game as service approach, and really needed for fighting games going forward as they dont need/can't really support multiple sequels a generation anymore as it fractures the base, and ruins the e-sports scene by not giving each base games a solid 5-7 year block for the meta to develop.

As I said elsewhere, I think they just botched this release/approach by not going all in on the game as a service model and trying to also cater to whatever they mean when they say "casuals."

They should have just called it Street Fighter or Street Fighter Online. Only included local and online vs., vs. cpu and training mode, and either launched for $30-40, or gone with the KI model. That would have avoided the backlash, made it clear what they were focused on, and went directly after that market of players of all skill levels who will play for years and buy dlc. They also should have scrapped the fight money, so they don't eat into that revenue stream from the hardest core players earning most content for free.

With a non-numbered name they can just update the base game every year or two like they seem to be planning with SFV anyway, including big graphics updates when new generations roll around, without splitting the base and thus just become a permanent fixture on the e-sports scene.

Mik317

Do you think there will be as many SF5 threads in Gaming Discussion in June as there are right now?

Were there that many SF5 threads in Gaming Discussion in October? 4 months in the past?

Is the guy who wrote the GameRadar article going to be writing about this game in June...was he doing it in October?

Gee it's like release date is special somehow. I can't figure it out

Yes?

What are you even arguing now?

Alex will more than likely get his own thread when his trailer releases. So will the other 5 characters. Story mode probably will as well. New threads for new news is legit a rule on this board. And considering most of the threads about the game now are just people angry about the same shit, that will be an improvement. Various SFV threads have been posted since this game was revealed. If there is new stuff announced, then yeah threads will continue to be posted.

The Adder

Banned
The dlc stuff doesn't bother me at all. Just part of a game as service approach, and really needed for fighting games going forward as they dont need/can't really support multiple sequels a generation anymore as it fractures the base, and ruins the e-sports scene by not giving each base games a solid 5-7 year block for the meta to develop.

Capcom could avoid this like NRS does by diversifying their fighters. NRS has Injustice and MK. How long have people been begging for a new Darkstalkers?

Mik317

Capcom could avoid this like NRS does by diversifying their fighters. NRS has Injustice and MK. How long have people been begging for a new Darkstalkers?

and MKX will probably stop getting support when Injustice 2 is released. Not sure if that is a positive. Capcom is not as healthy as many think.

The Adder

Banned
and MKX will probably stop getting support when Injustice 2 is released. Not sure if that is a positive. Capcom is not as healthy as many think.

The problem on that end is that NRS' scene isn't large enough to support two active communities at once. Capcom's scene has already done it.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

I don't know that would help that much with this specific type of backlash--but diversity is always welcome. SF is such a huge brand, so it's always going to get more scrutiny as it has more mainstream appeal.

Darkstalkers is much more niche, and probably appeals more to hardcore fighting game fans who mostly aren't irate about SFV, while a lot of the people very upset of it probably haven't even heard of Darkstalkers.

The arcade/mode survival thing, I don't know what to tell you. Unless we're talking about World Tour, Weapon Master, Tekken Force or VF4 Evos quest arcade, nearly every single player mode in a fighter has been just a lame diversion that often has unlocks behind it that force you to grind through them. You may see a big difference between survival and arcade but I sure don't, they're both lame modes.

As for the bolded, man we're not talking about RPGs here. We're not talking about adventure games. We're talking about an entire genre built on people playing against each other. I wouldn't tell someone without decent internet or local friends to get into MOBAs or arena based first person shooters, or hearthstone, or any other primarily multiplayer game either.
I see a big difference because it is one. Three round matches to simulate a second player versus one round matches to test your versatility and health management. You don't care, and yknow what that's fine, that's okay, you don't have to like either mode. You don't have to like fighting the computer. But plenty of people do like engaging with that stuff as you can see it being present in all kinds of fighting games.

I know exactly what genre we're talking about. Fighting games. Fighting games like Super Smash Bros., that somehow has an arcade mode and versus cpu despite being more well known as a 4 player game. Fighting games like Mortal Kombat, Persona 4 Arena, Blazblue, Guilty Gear, Skull Girls. When someone was not there to play with, what do you think happened? Did arcade cabinets, just yknow, stop working? Did SNES carts crumble to dust? Fighting games have never ONLY been multiplayer games. And this genre was never ONLY built on and for the FGC. Being primarily multiplayer focused is not a freaking excuse for Street Fighter V to be missing basic stuff. It'd be one thing if SFV somehow replaced it with something better, but Capcom did not do anything.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I've been reading this threads for some time, and I honestly can't understand people saying they should have delayed the game.

I mean, just wait for it to have the amount of content you expect, you'll end up paying less for a better game.

If people are fine paying 60 usd for a bare bones game, let them have their fun, we can do as if the game is in beta or early access, and wait for it to be complete, and we will even get a better price.

Oneself

Of course we value quantity over quality.
Just take a look at all the open world games we're getting; almost all of them are filled with shitty content, boring side missions, terrible controls, subpar mechanics and are still getting great review scores. Not counting all the buggy ones...

That being said, I'd take a complete physical edition of SFV anytime. If the physical version I bought contained only a download code it wouldn't change a thing.

The Adder

Banned
I don't know that would help that much with this specific type of backlash--but diversity is always welcome. SF is such a huge brand, so it's always going to get more scrutiny as it has more mainstream appeal.

Darkstalkers is much more niche, and probably appeals more to hardcore fighting game fans who mostly aren't irate about SFV, while a lot of the people very upset of it probably haven't even heard of Darkstalkers.

I was commenting more on producing product while avoiding harming the meta of your games. If they made SF as the generational big title and DS (or some other fighter) as a smaller, budget title, I think they'd be able to thrive. Keep the combat quality across both, use DS as a proving ground for things they're looking to implement in the next SF. Make DS a barebones $40 budget title, or maybe even do it KI stylr. Arcade, survival, online. That way they have a bunch of things hammered out for SF and they can do the game up right.

But that'll never happen.

Mik317

I was commenting more on producing product while avoiding harming the meta of your games. If they made SF as the generational big title and DS (or some other fighter) as a smaller, budget title, I think they'd be able to thrive. Keep the combat quality across both, use DS as a proving ground for things they're looking to implement in the next SF. Make DS a barebones $40 budget title, or maybe even do it KI stylr. Arcade, survival, online. That way they have a bunch of things hammered out for SF and they can do the game up right.

But that'll never happen.

ok. This I do agree with. That would be a great idea

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
That I do agree with. To get back on solid financial ground, Capcom needs to (in order of importance):

1. Not fuck up Monster Hunter. Be ready to go multiplat or jump ship to Sony ASAP if the Nintendo NX doesn't take off quickly.

2. Get Resident Evil back on track. They need to nail RE7.

3. Get over this launch backlash with SFV and have the game sell a lot of DLC over the rest of the generation.

4. Diversify with lower risk, lower budget titles be it Darkstalkers, Mega Man games etc. Lot's of room for that today with the success of smaller digital titles on the digital console stores and Steam.

The Adder

Banned
That I do agree with. To get back on solid financial ground, Capcom needs to (in order of importance):

1. Not fuck up Monster Hunter. Be ready to go multiplat or jump ship to Sony ASAP if the Nintendo NX doesn't take off quickly.

3. Get over this launch backlash with SFV and have the game sell a lot of DLC over the rest of the generation.

4. Diversify with lower risk, lower budget titles be it Darkstalkers, Mega Man games etc. Lot's of room for that today with the success of smaller digital titles on the digital console stores and Steam.

I think a lot of companies could keep their fans happy with a solid 3 tier system across their genres

Low-cost, high-margin super budget or ftp titles for the casuals.

Budget niche titles for core consumers,

Full-priced broad appeal titles.

Then it's down to knowing what titles fit best in what roles and you avoid pissing anyone off.

LowSignal

I've been reading this threads for some time, and I honestly can't understand people saying they should have delayed the game.

I mean, just wait for it to have the amount of content you expect, you'll end up paying less for a better game.

If people are fine paying 60 usd for a bare bones game, let them have their fun, we can do as if the game is in beta or early access, and wait for it to be complete, and we will even get a better price.

I Don't want Capcom or any other company to think that it's OK to release a game in this state on a regular basis. Content aside the servers were not ready and a list of other things just didn't work as they should. Just because some people are OK with the state of the game doesn't mean the criticism SFV is getting is wrong. It kills me that someone gets hyped up reading a 9/10 review and when they get the game it's not what they expected. I think a lot of people on both sides bring up valid points but at the end of the day as consumers we have to stand up and be heard.

If you don't like the game as is, just wait. It'll get cheaper, and better over time. Why is everyone flipping their shit and acting like that's not a suitable response? Have you never waited for a game ever in your lifetime? Does everything need to be day 1 for you, and that day 1 needs to have all the features you personally desire, even if other people don't care? Just wait! That's all you have to do! You'll even save money!

I don't disagree with almost anything you've said honestly, but I'm curious. If for whatever bizarre reason SFV released with all of the SP content, and no MP of any kind for the first month or so; would you wait? Or would you still by it day one because any SF now is better than none at all, but still be miffed at the lack of no MP modes?

I feel like this is the case for some people, who thought there would be more offline stuff than not, but love SF and wanted to play the new one Day 1. (Yes, someone loving a fighter and not wanting to play with other people sounds weird, but clearly it exists). It's not as big of a deal as people are making, but I think a lot of people are just caught up i the argument wave now.

Releasing unfinished products is kind of Capcom's new standard these days. Just found out this morning that the Mega Man Legacy Collection's launch issues aren't likely to ever get patched, even though they were guaranteed to be fixed by the developer.

I don't doubt for a second that if SF V doesn't sell well early on, Capcom will abandon it after its first year.

Releasing unfinished products is kind of Capcom's new standard these days. Just found out this morning that the Mega Man Legacy Collection's launch issues aren't likely to ever get patched, even though they were guaranteed to be fixed by the developer.

I don't doubt for a second that if SF V doesn't sell well early on, Capcom will abandon it after its first year.

I don't think so. Look at how long SFIV lasted. You can't really compare something like a collection of old games that people have 10+ different avenues to play it on at the moment, to a new game that has a 6 month road map already in place. They want this to succeed like IV did. I'll agree though, that the MM collection having issues is bunk, and if it doesn't get patched after promises from the developer then it's just some serious BS.

I don't think so. Look at how long SFIV lasted. You can't really compare something like a collection of old games that people have 10+ different avenues to play it on at the moment, to a new game that has a 6 month road map already in place. They want this to succeed like IV did. I'll agree though, that the MM collection having issues is bunk, and if it doesn't get patched after promises from the developer then it's just some serious BS.

I'll admit it's probably a bad comparison. I'm just losing what little faith in Capcom I had left.

Oersted

Yes, games sell their best at launch but not every company has to chase that model. I don't think Capcom is, either. I think they released it now at $60 to try and eat their cake and have it too. I'm sure they'll be fine in the long run.

Most companies have adopted to both. Try to sell as early as possible(shortterm profit) and try to keep it relevant as long as possible( gaming as service, paid DLC, season pass etc).

Street Fighter V is such a game.

A Monster Hunter portbeg in a Street Fighter thread.

Of all the things Capcom is doing wrong right now, you want them to mess with the one IP they're actually having great success with. Awesome logic there pal.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Of all the things Capcom is doing wrong right now, you want them to mess with the one IP they're actually having great success with. Awesome logic there pal.

Huh? I said to not fuck it up. What's going for them there is great, they just have to be ready to switch gears quickly IF the NX flops. They don't need to do anything until then.

A Monster Hunter portbeg in a Street Fighter thread.

And nope. Again, they just have to be ready to switch gears if the NX bombs. And definitely not a port beg. I tried MH4U on 3DS and didn't like it at all. Not my cup of tea. I just want the franchise to do well as Capcom needs it and I like some of their other IPs like SF.

Huh? I said to not fuck it up. What's going for them there is great, they just have to be ready to switch gears quickly IF the NX flops. They don't need to do anything until then.

Nah, you said they should go multiplat or jump ship if the NX doesn't take off quickly. Well, the 3DS didn't take off quickly and Monster Hunter has been a massive success on the platform. Monster Hunter is huge in Japan and the NX is by far the best home for it over there, especially since it's going to have a handheld SKU.

Tripon

Monster hunter staying on the Vita is an interesting what if. But if you want to discuss that or MH going multi plat, you should make a thread about that.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Nah, you said they should go multiplat or jump ship if the NX doesn't take off quickly. Well, the 3DS didn't take off quickly and Monster Hunter has been a massive success on the platform. Monster Hunter is huge in Japan and the NX is by far the best home for it over there, especially since it's going to have a handheld SKU.

Semantics. I think the NX will bomb hard if it doesn't do well right out of the gate. It doesn't have to be a huge hit or anything, but it can't be an abject failure like the Wii U or have a bad start like the Wii U. Nintendo is on too sketchy of ground with core gamers in the West for that to happen.

I do agree they should be fine with the handheld in Japan, and definitely should focus the next MH on that. They just need to have a plan B for the sequel after that if the handheld doesn't sell in the west. And I'm very skeptical with how much 3DS sales dropped of vs. DS in the west (especially the US) and how rarely I see portable game consoles in public anymore when I saw them regularly even 2-3 years ago (lots of 3DS's around here, airports etc.).

Monster hunter staying on the Vita is an interesting what if. But if you want to discuss that or MH going multi plat, you should make a thread about that.

Nah, no interest in talking about it personally as I hate the game. And I certainly wasn't implying that. They 100% made the right move jumping to Nintendo. I'm just skeptical of the NX and the market's ability to support 3 players in the console industry in general.

We just got off a bit about talking about what Capcom needs to do to turn things around. Which is of interest to the thread as it's key to them being able to support SFV with great content for several years. :D

It is amusing to see that your top priority concern is a "What if NX goes the way of Vita" scenario.

How so? They did a great job of switching gears from PSP to 3DS this go around. All I'm saying is they need to be able to switch gears again if needed. And are going to have to at some point as handhelds continue to dwindle in sales. Unless they want to only focus on Japan anyway.

Anyway, I've said my piece repeatedly on the topic, and I'm done wrapping up some work and I'm going to go enjoy SFV and let the haters hate and stay out of these type of discussions from now on. :D

Oersted

And nope. Again, they just have to be ready to switch gears if the NX bombs. And definitely not a port beg. I tried MH4U on 3DS and didn't like it at all. Not my cup of tea. I just want the franchise to do well as Capcom needs it and I like some of their other IPs like SF.

It is amusing to see that your top priority "concern" is a "What if NX goes the way of Vita" scenario.

That I would agree with. SF is never going to be for casuals. The skill floor is just much higher than games like MKX. The time links for combos etc. are much harder to get down. There aren't easy stun moves like Scorpion's Spear or Minion Grab to guarantee combo starts etc. etc.

All they really did is make it slightly more accessible than SFIV by moving links from 1 frame to 3 frames. So from 1/60th a second to 1/20th of a second. Easier, but still super tough for a casual to pick up.

Their messaging should have been more along the lines of wanting SFV to be the premier fighter for playing against others, locally or online, at all levels of competitiveness.

What they really need/want to do is get people playing MKX, Guilty Gear etc. against others to move to SFV. They clearly don't care much about people playing MKX just for the single player content, given the comparative lack of SP content SFV will have even after the updates come. And that's fine. They want people who are going to keep playing online and buying DLC more than those that buy for the SP and drop the game and never buy any DLC.

But they really botched the PR. They're not going for casuals. They're also not wanting to say it's just for the FGC. It's simply geared to people who want to at least put in some effort and get better playing against others. Not people who just like the SP content in games like MKX.

The problem is, the game wasn't marketed as such, and people expected it to have an adequate amount of single player content.

There is quality in the servers that are working.

All I could think of is this.

anchorman-60percent-e1408743416815.png

Krabboss

All I know is any user review that complains about the single player content should be ignored in its entirety and, ideally, tossed into the digital trash where it belongs.

Toxi

Banned

LOL dis shit again

Monster Hunter sells best on portable devices. It's going to go to cell phones if Nintendo doesn't pan out before going on your PS4.

Platy

All I know is any user review that complains about the single player content should be ignored in its entirety and, ideally, tossed into the digital trash where it belongs.

Yeah because nothing say "buy more fighting games to support the genre !" than buying a fighting game for the first time, started playing, being owned 5 times with things you don't even begin to understand how are made and feeling like shit

Renekton

SFV would've never been green lit if it was as niche as you've been arguing in these thread.

SFIV was only green lit because an independent consulting firm audited there IP and saw they weren't maximizing the SF IP.

Your argument doesn't have much basis.
Then how did Dark Souls sell millions? Did it offer core concessions to casual/mainstream?

SFIV was greenlit due to positive reactions to SF style cameos in Onimusha.

Platy

Then how did Dark Souls sell millions? Did it offer core concessions to casual/mainstream?

SFIV was greenlit due to positive reactions to SF style cameos in Onimusha.

Dark Souls is the corest niche ever and it plays to that niche. It sold bad considering overall most sold games on the system, but it sold INCREDIBLY for what it is.

Street Fighter is one of the most famous videogame IPs on the planet. It is THE most famous of it's genre next to Smash Bros and Smash sells RIDICULOUS numbers. It is the poster boy for the huge fighting game genre.It CANNOT sell Guilty Gear numbers or the genre might even die

Dark Souls is the corest niche ever and it plays to that niche. It sold bad considering overall most sold games on the system, but it sold INCREDIBLY for what it is.

Street Fighter is one of the most famous videogame IPs on the planet. It is THE most famous of it's genre next to Smash Bros and Smash sells RIDICULOUS numbers. It is the poster boy for the huge fighting game genre.It CANNOT sell Guilty Gear numbers or the genre might even die
Nah, MK can take care of things.

danmaku

As I said elsewhere, I think they just botched this release/approach by not going all in on the game as a service model and trying to also cater to whatever they mean when they say "casuals."

They should have just called it Street Fighter or Street Fighter Online. Only included local and online vs., vs. cpu and training mode, and either launched for $30-40, or gone with the KI model. That would have avoided the backlash, made it clear what they were focused on, and went directly after that market of players of all skill levels who will play for years and buy dlc. They also should have scrapped the fight money, so they don't eat into that revenue stream from the hardest core players earning most content for free.

With a non-numbered name they can just update the base game every year or two like they seem to be planning with SFV anyway, including big graphics updates when new generations roll around, without splitting the base and thus just become a permanent fixture on the e-sports scene.

I agree, but I don't think Sony would've have funded a SF spin-off, they wanted a mainline SF with a number attached as a big exclusive.

I just noticed tonight I have a screenshot on my PS4 of the moment I got the trophy "Quantity over Quality", taken at the exact moment the horrible Vega vs Chun Li story mode art was on my screen where Chun Li is smuggling bowling balls in her shirt and Vega looks like a rough sketch of a drunk guy at Mardi Gras

Darius

Banned

SF4 sold well on PS3, X360 and was also a million seller on 3DS despite having an outdated roster. It also generated extra income from arcades with its different machines. While SF5s reception doesn´t exactly instill confidence that it will follow the same success, as in volume sold and userbase on PS4 alone, compared to previous "console/arcade" performances.

MH is a different topic altogether, it continues to sell great and is the main reason Capcom are still in black financially. As we have seen proof in the past it´s also a very handheld centric IP, similar to Pokemon, so I really don´t see that big of an opportunity going multiplat, especially looking forward to next gen, considering PSV is pretty much dead in the West, on its last legs in Japan and possibly also a dead-end as far as handhelds go.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
LOL dis shit again

Monster Hunter sells best on portable devices. It's going to go to cell phones if Nintendo doesn't pan out before going on your PS4.

Jesus christ. Read the rest of my posts. I fucking hate Monster Hunter. I couldn't care less what platform it's on. And even if I did I wouldn't need to port beg since I have a N3DS XL (and a Wii U and a Vita and an XBOX 1) and not just a PS4.

I just want it to do well for Capcom so they can keep making huge money on it to support other stuff they make that I do give a shit about. If that means going mobile if the NX fails, then so be it. Though I don't see how the controls would be worth a damn on mobile.

They're going to have to figure something out eventually as portable gaming is dying fast everywhere but Japan. Maybe the portable will keep selling well there, and with the cross platform play on the NX system western gamers could just play it on the NX console. Again, provided the NX platform doesn't bomb.

I agree, but I don't think Sony would've have funded a SF spin-off, they wanted a mainline SF with a number attached as a big exclusive.

SF4 sold well on PS3, X360 and was also a million seller on 3DS despite having an outdated roster. It also generated extra income from arcades with its different machines. While SF5s reception doesn´t exactly instill confidence that it will follow the same success, as in volume sold and userbase on PS4 alone, compared to previous "console/arcade" performances.

While true, I didn't mean my idea as a spinoff. Just that would be THE only street fighter going forward. Make a big platform with regular free and paid updates like the MOBAs etc.

MH is a different topic altogether, it continues to sell great and is the main reason Capcom are still in black financially. As we have seen proof in the past it´s also a very handheld centric IP, similar to Pokemon, so I really don´t see that big of an opportunity going multiplat, especially looking forward to next gen, considering PSV is pretty much dead in the West, on its last legs in Japan and possibly also a dead-end as far as handhelds go.

As above, my point is just that they need to have a plan B for what to do if there isn't a successful portable next gen or the gen after. That market is drying up fast outside of Japan. So they have to figure out how to get it to sell on consoles or make it work on mobile if the NX portable fails to sell.

It's pretty obvious that people are caring more about quantity of games than the quality of games. I think it's the idea that games should be longer, or have more content because of the tech that games industry have nowadays.

Oersted

It controls well on iOs, you have no fucking clue what you are talking about. But then again, you hate Monster Hunter right? You, who went on record with let the haters hate and stay out of these type of discussions from now on.

Do you have any reminiscence of selfawareness?

Gaogaogao

it proves that everyone wants something different from a fighting game. mortal kombat gives the non competitive casual masses what they want in the form of substantial single player modes. none of that in sf5.

also, in order to enjoy a fighting game, you need to find a character you like, but you cant necessarily do that with so few characters.

Top Bottom