• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamesRadar: Street Fighter V's backlash proves we value quantity over quality

Balb

Have any specific posters in mind? I was critical Titanfall when it was released. Specifically for the fact it was online only and didn't offer offline bot mode like other MP focused shooters. (Unreal Tournament, Counter Strike, etc.)

Yeah I don't really get this. A lot of people were critical of TF, and the game was abandoned fairly quickly even after the game was being sold for peanuts.

Pompadour

Do you believe SFV on PS4 won't beat at least SFIV launch on PS3?

I'm removing PC because we won't get PC retail data in UK.

Yeah, that could happen. I don't think SFV is relying on PC that much early on anyway because fighting games don't sell great on PC to begin with. I think Capcom only pushed Sony to allow them to publish on PC because they expect PC players to pick up the game super cheap a year down the line and then they can get their money from character or costume DLC.

Tripon

Yeah, that could happen. I don't think SFV is relying on PC that much early on anyway because fighting games don't sell great on PC to begin with. I think Capcom only pushed Sony to allow them to publish on PC because they expect PC players to pick up the game super cheap a year down the line and then they can get their money from character or costume DLC.

PC is for emerging areas like Latin America and China that go play on consoles. Of course the $60 entry price point is still high.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
My take is that arcade and local versus against the CPU weren't implement due to the fight money thing. Will Capcom allow people to get fight money on those modes? How much? Will it be unlimited? Fight money seems to be so important for Capcom that they are willing to let you lose all your SP advances due to server issues.

This behavior is bad for the consumer and should be confined to F2P games. Calling out Capcom is warranted imo.

It matters when their entire plan is to get people that are going to stick around for the entire lifecycle of the game and support it for years to come, as there's only one disc. I imagine they plan to make just as much off of characters and DLC as they do from day 1 sales.

This entire kerfuffle kind of baffles me, to be honest. Everything anyone complaining about will eventually be coming, in addition to being able to buy DLC that would otherwise be locked exclusively behind a paywall with in game currency. All you have to do was wait. The cry comes back, it should have shipped with everything I wanted on Day 1, and then the argument changes focus.

Basically, what everyone upset about this is saying they would rather have had the same game, with the same amount of content it's eventually going to get, delayed until march or september, depending on what you're caring about in particular. Then people like me go "Well, but I wanted it now, and I don't care about any of that stuff. Why not you just wait, and I can get it early to play the game" people seem to flip out and start arguing about the game being dastardly on principle or something. Just wait. Literally just wait one month. Is that really such an absurd thing to ask of people?

As for those who bought the game and can't return it, and feel blindsided by the lack of singleplayer modes, I can't get behind the argument that because the features have been standard for years, you can expect them in game without doing any research on the game at all. This isn't just about Street Fighter, but it's something I don't understand. Don't pre-order games you don't follow. Don't pre-order games you aren't completely sure about. Hell, just wait a single day and look at reviews and online buzz. You could have waited LESS than a day, you could have waited 5 hours and gone into a store and bought the game in the mid afternoon and you'd have been free and clear. I'm totally baffled at the intersection of people that care about a game so much that they need to pre-order it or buy it outright because they're so excited and can't wait for reviews, and haven't been following the game at all, in any form, and don't even know the most basic features the game'll ship with, or that it'll be updated with later.

As someone pointed out before, this approach means that your 60 dollar disc today, will be getting it's balance updates for free forever, multiple modes over time, and the ability to buy DLC characters with fight money over time. If you actually play the game for several years, it will be cheaper by far in the long run.

But instead I guess everyone would have rather the game be delayed half a year for everyone so that the people who just want to play arcade mode feel cater'd to.

This entire response reeks of "you're playing it wrong", but whatever. When I go shopping for cars, I don't really bother to ask if it comes with a radio. It's just something that's expected after so many years.

Anyway, I'm a patient person. I can wait. I'm sure Capcom would prefer that I didn't though.

ethomaz

Banned
I'm Brasilian and even I playing few matches (about 20) I just get against PC users.

I like to check everytime I play online and for now I just played PC users lol

Anedoctal I know... maybe PC users have better connection and that affect the matchmaking :)

Uthred

I think it's pretty hypocritical that people are shaming Street fighter, when Titanfall released with very little content and charged for DLC up until, the end of 2014.

Respawn concentrated on what matters online matches, servers, and keeping the content flowing as it progressed. But they charged you 59.99 for couple modes, and basically you could unlock everything in 1-2 regens.

Yet here we are with people all over metacritic, journalists ripping this game appart, yet when titanfall came out it was all" fuck yes, greatest thing ever".

Wish journalist, and video game personalities were more consistent.

Some serious revisionist history going on here, Titanfall got taken apart, also the majority of journalists are "all fuck yes greatest thing ever" about SFV. Which is where you get articles like this where they desperately try to cover their arse by mis-representing the position of people criticising the game.

and don't even know the most basic features the game'll ship with, or that it'll be updated with later.

Cool, I thought I knew the "most basic features" the game would ship with and while I personally dont care for them I didnt know there wouldnt be no arcade or vs cpu, as you clearly followed the game more closely could you provide a reference for where their exclusion at launch was mentioned? I mean theyre a staple of the franchise and the vast majority of other games in the genre and they arent listed on the development plan so one would assume they'd be included. But equally clearly the better informed people knew they wouldnt be included, so just wondering, how did they know?

But instead I guess everyone would have rather the game be delayed half a year for everyone so that the people who just want to play arcade mode feel cater'd to.

Yes that is clearly the position of the people complaining and the way the game was released is of course the only possible way it could have released.

TheYanger

arcade mode was not in the trailer that went over the launch features and right before the realase of the content map.

And when you click on the game on steam or PSN, or pick the box up at the store, does a capcom rep come and show you the trailer so that such complaints can be rendered invalid?

farisr

arcade mode was not in the trailer that went over the launch features and right before the realase of the content map.
Versus wasn't either. That's what confused the set of folks who didn't expect story prologue to be the arcade equivalent, and its own separate thing. They were like"well versus wasn't in the trailer, so I guess they skipped Arcade as well as its also a standard mode, and have decided on showcasing the modes that have unique/new features"

Ryce

I sort of anticipated the lack of an Arcade mode, but the absence of CPUs in Versus mode came as a complete shock to me. Like... how does that even happen?

Mik317

And when you click on the game on steam or PSN, or pick the box up at the store, does a capcom rep come and show you the trailer so that such complaints can be rendered invalid?

Cool, I thought I knew the "most basic features" the game would ship with and while I personally dont care for them I didnt know there wouldnt be no arcade or vs cpu, as you clearly followed the game more closely could you provide a reference for where their exclusion at launch was mentioned?

Just answering question, boss.

Zetta

This is true but I don't think it crossed anyone's mind that Arcade Mode let alone Vs CPU would not be in the game. Just imagine a Madden game with only online matches and with no VS CPU, that would be disastrous.

No, because all PS4 games install entirely to the HDD regardless if it's a PSN Store version or the Physical Disc copy.

Once the game installs to the console the disc is no longer used outside of boot up of the game as a form of ownership verification.

The big difference is that we can sell, trade, or still play the games for nostalgia using the discs, even when PSN will inevitably disappear from the console in the future. And we can instantly play the game while the game is installing onto the HDD after waiting for a minute or two using the physical copy (except for GTA V for some reason).

If you buy the digital copy of a PS4 game, you would have to wait until everything is downloaded & installed onto the HDD before you can even play the game, especially for large games.

Uthred

Just answering question, boss.

Then you should do a better job, perhaps by actually answering the question. Not explicitly outlining something is not the same thing as " their exclusion at launch was mentioned". Absence of explicit mention is not the same thing as explicit mention of its absence. Which is self evident.

Nothing unique about it as Capcom put out similar, if not more, amounts of effort into the home ports of project justice(jpn) and tech romancer among others.

Citing two obscure games (in the West, at least) doesn't make it any less unique. The focus was on streetfighter games released in the last 20 yrs.

Mik317

Then you should do a better job, perhaps by actually answering the question. Not explicitly outlining something is not the same thing as " their exclusion at launch was mentioned". Absence of explicit mention is not the same thing as explicit mention of its absence. Which is self evident.

If a trailer that goes over all of the modes in the game does not mention said mode...then one can easily infer that its not in the game..

Renekton

The problem is when you turn a series that, although it certainly can be competitive and multiplayer (as with Street Fighter), has never been only that, or that at all to many of its audience.
This is disputed.

People are having imaginary demographics of a large "casual base" willingly paying $60 on SF for the SP like COD, and somehow unaware of the infamous learning curve stigma of Japanese fighters.

Nose Master

Yeah, the main fighting engine is very solid. That's the most important part, but it sucks without any meat to it. It'd be like if a new Mario was released with amazing physics and controls, but no levels.

It will get better, but they very obviously rushed this out for the tournament press.

Oersted

This is disputed.

People are having imaginary demographics of a large "casual base" willingly paying $60 on SF for the SP like COD, and somehow unaware of the infamous learning curve stigma of Japanese fighters.

They are trying to reach 2 million sold copies till march. You do not reach these numbers with Evo contestants.

CmdBash

This is disputed.

There will be a casual base if capcom bothered to give a damn effort into making a creative single player mode. Same shit was said by a lot of starcraft 2 elitists and then it turned out that over 50% of people who bought the game didn't even touch the multiplayer.

Pompadour

They are trying to reach 2 million sold copies till march. You do not reach these numbers with Evo contestants.

So there's two groups of people buying SFV: those who bought to play single player and those who are flying out to Vegas in July?

The huge "casual" base that is buying SFV is buying it for online play. They aren't buying it for the single player and they aren't buying it because they plan on becoming a competitive tourney player. Yes, those two extremes overlap with the online playing majority but to suggest that anything but a minority only gets Street Fighter for single player is ridiculous.

If that were the case it would be so, so much easier to cater to that demographic. No servers to run, the balancing could be so much more relaxed, and they could use all that extra time and resources to dump dozens of extra characters into the game like other super casual fighters like the DBZ Budokai series or the Naruto Ultimate Ninja series. These are the franchises that are for single player fighting game fans.

Oersted

So there's two groups of people buying SFV: those who bought to play single player and those who are flying out to Vegas in July?

The huge "casual" base that is buying SFV is buying it for online play. They aren't buying it for the single player and they aren't buying it because they plan on becoming a competitive tourney player. Yes, those two extremes overlap with the online playing majority but to suggest that anything but a minority only gets Street Fighter for single player is ridiculous.

If that were the case it would be so, so much easier to cater to that demographic. No servers to run, the balancing could be so much more relaxed, and they could use all that extra time and resources to dump dozens of extra characters into the game like other super casual fighters like the DBZ Budokai series or the Naruto Ultimate Ninja series. These are the franchises that are for single player fighting game fans.

I think most people, casuals or not, want some meat on their games. You know, a 60 $ game when you pay 60$.

Garlador

I think most people, casuals or not, want some meat on their games. You know, a 60 $ game when you pay 60$.

Pretty much. When you sell a $60 game at full, retail $60, that comes with expectations. I would argue for a fighting game, Arcade mode and simple Versus are the bare MINIMUM of expectations.

Killer Instinct, oddly enough, got on my radar by being, in essence, F2P or $20 for the base Season 1 experience. They didn't just come out and go "we know we're not finished, but we're charging $60 anyway".

I think Capcom could've benefited greatly with a "hardcore" package at an entry level of $20 or so and, after content was finished and packed in, an actual fully-featured release at $60.

That's my opinion.

udivision

Maybe Capcom just isn't good at launching fighting games anymore?

SF4 was a decade ago, and that was good.
MvC3 had the "ultimate" edition debacle that left a sour taste.
SFxTK had the on-disc-dlc debacle and a lot of problems thanks to Cross Assault.
Maybe it was too much to expect SF5 not be marred with something.

TheYanger

If the average player was buying the game just to play online, the scores wouldn't be reflecting outrage and the threads wouldn't exist.

Mik317

".

I think Capcom could've benefited greatly with a "hardcore" package at an entry level of $20 or so and, after content was finished and packed in, an actual fully-featured release at $60.

That's my opinion.

How is this that different from what we have now? You are still waiting for them to finish all the content meaning you will be buying the game down the line anyway. The only difference is that the hardcore now has to pay for upgrades each time which could in fact fracture the community which was the whole damn point behind the rollout system.

Pompadour

If the average player was buying the game just to play online, the scores wouldn't be reflecting outrage and the threads wouldn't exist.

Do you think the majority of people who play SFV make threads on NeoGAF? Or on gaming forums in general?

I think the critic reviews reflect the game's value pretty accurately. It has a lot of problems but it's still a very good game. 7/10 or 8/10 is fair for Street Fighter V.

Hundreds of users posting 0/10 or 1/10 is an overreaction. But that's gaming culture so it's to be expected.

Renekton

Or there is a bigger core/semi-core base than we give credit for, or Capcom just misprojected. I think the casual demographic size for japanese fighters is being overblown by GAF just to make an argument look good.

There will be a casual base if capcom bothered to give a damn effort into making a creative single player mode. Same shit was said by a lot of starcraft 2 elitists and then it turned out that over 50% of people who bought the game didn't even touch the multiplayer.
Blizzard RTS inherently appeals more (and rewarding) to casuals than Japanese fighters, with the latter's famous stigma of learning curve.

I haven't posted about the game before, and this is coming from someone who was mildly interested in picking up SFV but decided not too when I found out about its state at launch: I'm not angry about the lack of content, I am just saddened by what it says about where the industry is heading.

Platy

I'm Brasilian and even I playing few matches (about 20) I just get against PC users.

I like to check everytime I play online and for now I just played PC users lol

Anedoctal I know... maybe PC users have better connection and that affect the matchmaking :)

Well ... SFV gives preference to people closer to you and the price diference betweet SF5 PS4 and SF5 PC is .... lets say that it is totaly understandable that everyone is on PC in Brazil

CamHostage

I think the fact of the matter is simple. Capcom could've waited longer to appeal to the mainstream audience, but burn the game's FGC appeal in the long run by having it miss major tournaments.

Or they launch the game now, appeal the FGC and hardcore fans, and potentially sour the mainstream audience and newcomer players.

It's too bad they couldn't come up with some sort of marketing solution, say a "Day Zero Edition" package made for an early release that clearly identifies the SFV available now as an unfinished product made for the fans who absolutely need it now.

Maybe they could have sold a package now that's made for the hardcore (they could have even done it as a limited edition with a trinket inside, make it an exclusive event that people are happy to get even if the game package is incomplete,) and then the official release is a different date where it's widely available and the more expected features are inset. You could only do that if you have a rock-solid game that will survive the lost time (otherwise you'd have a mass-market release at a time where people have given up on your game) but I feel like SFV could have done it.

To work, I think Capcom would have needed to actually go MORE expensive on the early-adopter package, rather than less. Make it an exclusive club. Add features to the early adoption (besides the ability to play long before release) that make it worth getting in early, and makes those who didn't get in jealous and desperate to play the game. Just going a cheap Early Access fee would have made it a demo that many would have opted out of by the time of the full release (because let's face it, lots of people who complain about things that aren't in a package wouldn't even use those features... of course, VS mode in a fighting game is an extreme version of that, but how many times will most people actually play through the Story mode of a fighting game these days more than once or twice before looking up the endings on Youtube versus how outraged are people that Story mode isn't there?) Make it a special package and you'd be building momentum come the major release.

Online, they could have done the Early Access-type release model like you're saying and delivered two milestone releases, and maybe that would have worked better. But they'd still have a communication challenge in getting only the "hardcore" to show up; many would still but Street Fighter V because it's Street Fighter, and be shocked by the missing features that they would have considered "standard", and they would have complained anyway because they don't understand why Capcom "removed features" to sell them later, or whatever the complaint would have been; the mass public doesn't understand the process of making a game and they would not understand the value Capcom put on features they prioritized over features they're delivering later (especially seeing as, as many have already pointed out, the features missing are what many would consider "standard" for a fighting game.)

Balb

I think the fact of the matter is simple. Capcom could've waited longer to appeal to the mainstream audience, but burn the game's FGC appeal in the long run by having it miss major tournaments.

Or they launch the game now, appeal the FGC and hardcore fans, and potentially sour the mainstream audience and newcomer players.

They were stuck between a rock and a hard place and that's all it comes down to. No matter what a segment of the audience would be alienated. They can maybe regain some ground with updates down the line, but first impressions are important so they're probably counting on hardcore fans to spread that word of mouth later on and view long-term potential as greater in the grand scheme of things. It seems Capcom's acquired so much bad will over the last few years that it may be an obstacle, unfortunately.

I feel like while I'll just get the game cheaper later on and when it's more feature-rich, there are some things being left out at launch that just make me scratch my head. Lack of an arcade mode or a 1-on-1 Player VS CPU custom match in VS Mode are big omissions. So I feel stuff related to that is worthy of criticism. There should be a balance but the scales are tipped more toward the FGC at launch, to the expense of most else.

Ironically despite their claim they wouldn't do a Super version or anything, I still feel the gates are open for a SFV: Goty/Complete Edition some point down the line...

It's pretty short-sighted to value a couple of very early tournaments for the FGC over having a successful launch that brings in more players if their intention is to make SFV a platform like League of Legends, which they appear to be trying to do.

Trojan X

Banned

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
It's pretty short-sighted to value a couple of very early tournaments for the FGC over having a successful launch that brings in more players if their intention is to make SFV a platform like League of Legends, which they appear to be trying to do.
They consider the Capcom Cup to be valuable marketing in of itself. You gotta offer a strong competitive scene and cover it accordingly to foster growth in that scene.

Though I must confess that I'm still not sure how catering to a group of players who avoid multiplayer play like the plague would help expand the player base for the competitive play.

Majukun

be the customers being passed if they are pissed.. it exists no disproportionate reaction,a single customer is either satisfied or he is not, and in that case is a right of his to complain.
we should really stop, both us and the specialised press, trying to defend developers.. since they have demonstrated in many occasion how they don't really have that much consideration for us in return.. so if something isn't how it should be, by all means please complain,only good can come from it,either because people who are not informed on the matter now are, or because widespread complaints who affect sales are the only language publishers and developers seem to understand.

Oersted

Or there is a bigger core/semi-core base than we give credit for, or Capcom just misprojected. I think the casual demographic size for japanese fighters is being overblown by GAF just to make an argument look good.

Blizzard RTS inherently appeals more (and rewarding) to casuals than Japanese fighters, with the latter's famous stigma of learning curve.

You do not reach 2 million sold copies within a month with only the core demographic. Lets not get crazy.

Some serious revisionist history going on here, Titanfall got taken apart, also the majority of journalists are "all fuck yes greatest thing ever" about SFV. Which is where you get articles like this where they desperately try to cover their arse by mis-representing the position of people criticising the game.

Cool, I thought I knew the "most basic features" the game would ship with and while I personally dont care for them I didnt know there wouldnt be no arcade or vs cpu, as you clearly followed the game more closely could you provide a reference for where their exclusion at launch was mentioned? I mean theyre a staple of the franchise and the vast majority of other games in the genre and they arent listed on the development plan so one would assume they'd be included. But equally clearly the better informed people knew they wouldnt be included, so just wondering, how did they know?

Yes that is clearly the position of the people complaining and the way the game was released is of course the only possible way it could have released.

To the first bolded point, in addition to arcade mode literally never being mentioned or shown, and not having a spot on any of the beta test title screens, there was also this trailer. Came out two weeks before release, there was a topic about it here on Neogaf.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXNeGrgXX-E

As for the bolded, considering Capcom needed Sonys money to make the game in the first place, the way the game released was actually the only way it could have released on the DAY it was released. My point is that people would have simply been happier had it been delayed, regardless of the price or any features therein. Had the game released at the same price, with the march feature list, in march, most of you folks wouldn't be complaining whatsoever, but instead, that stuff coming for free later, and the game being out to play for people like myself who just want to get in there, somehow that's a disaster. There's no functional difference.

You're essentially saying you'd rather have forced everyone to wait than have the self control to wait a single month or two yourself. It's ridiculous.

wat

I hope all these people who seem convinced that it was a life or death situation to get this game out ASAP are going to go to Final Round

No they just wanted to release the game before the fiscal year ends and they also wanted SFV to be main game. Cause that would've meant another year for USIV I wouldn't had mind that but they want people to move quickly as possible.

No they just wanted to release the game before the fiscal year ends and they also wanted SFV to be main game. Cause that would've meant another year for USIV I wouldn't had mind that but they want people to move quickly as possible.

Or they could have started the pro tour later if they wanted to focus on SFV.

There's no rule that the first event has to start in March. It would barely qualify as a "tradition". The Pro Tour is only two years old The grassroot events that the Pro Tour assigns importance to, existed years, decades before the CPT existed. And the current CPT doesn't even encompass all of them.

I have to say that if people are giving so much importance to the pro tour mindlessly, then the marketing must really be working.

To the first bolded point, in addition to arcade mode literally never being mentioned or shown, and not having a spot on any of the beta test title screens, there was also this trailer. Came out two weeks before release, there was a topic about it here on Neogaf.
Why would Arcade mode be featured in a "New Features in Street Fighter V" trailer? But hey, yknow lets go with your argument. You know what else wasn't mentioned in that trailer, Versus. But no I'm sure you will say, "oh well it was in the beta, so of course it would be in the game". Except for the whole versus CPU not being there.

gelf

As for the bolded, considering Capcom needed Sonys money to make the game in the first place, the way the game released was actually the only way it could have released on the DAY it was released. My point is that people would have simply been happier had it been delayed, regardless of the price or any features therein. Had the game released at the same price, with the march feature list, in march, most of you folks wouldn't be complaining whatsoever, but instead, that stuff coming for free later, and the game being out to play for people like myself who just want to get in there, somehow that's a disaster. There's no function difference.

You're essentially saying you'd rather have forced everyone to wait than have the self control to wait a single month or two yourself. It's ridiculous.

The biggest problem with this vid is story mode. It's not clear what form it takes, and it could easily be assumed that Story = Arcade mode as has been the case in many fighters. It certainly isn't clear story is a very small number of one round fights stuck on very easy mode.

Why would Arcade mode be featured in a "New Features in Street Fighter V" trailer? But hey, yknow lets go with your argument. You know what else wasn't mentioned in that trailer, Versus. But no I'm sure you will say, "oh well it was in the beta, so of course it would be in the game". Except for the whole versus CPU not being there.

By the same logic, why would training mode be listed in a new features trailer? It's not a new feature. Neither are Survival or Network battle.

Top Bottom