• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamesRadar: Street Fighter V's backlash proves we value quantity over quality

KingBroly

Banned
So since sfv is most likely a financial failure imo do you think they will keep supporting the game after this year or we gong back to usfiv?

They killed USF4 after 6 months of support on PS4. They have too much invested in this to go back.

But I never imagined how badly they'd bungle this game's launch.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I don't get the backlash myself. Capcom should be applauded for being the first company to add Trophy support to an Alpha release. Got 20% myself!

Can't wait until SFV's release later this year!

Ray Down

Banned
I just don't think it's unreasonable to be upset that this game is lacking basic features that have been in like every fighting game for the last 20 years, including previous games in the series. And okay, they're going to update the game with things like Story Mode and Challenges in the future, that's great. But some of these missing features, particularly Arcade Mode and Vs. CPU, aren't even planned to be in an update, which is just insane.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/...ficulty-settings-story-mode-reportedly-works/

If this is to be believed (If not there no way Capcom isn't working on it now) they are working on it, what probably holding it up if true is how they incorporate FM gain into it.

Skilletor

I've Played Them All Since The Original SF in the Arcade. This SF has the best fight mechanics out of all them imo.

I love the game, but personally need more time to see how it gets fleshed out before making such a statement. :)

but like I said, i can see this growing into my favorite SF ever.

I think this the end for SF franchise. Other FGs are offering way to much for 60 dollar value while giving decent gameplay.

The end of SF.. lol never change
BL4_fF.gif

Its already my favorite fighter in a long time, possibly since 3S. The stuff I want is in (local vs, a solid training mode and online vs) but I can see the frustrations if people are more single player focused.

RibMan

No, I completely disagree.

I'm staying away from SFV until it has enough content to justify the pricetag. I've been watching and reading the user feedback on multiple sites and Steam. Based on what I've seen, the backlash proves that people will voice their concern when you release a half-assed undercooked "let's get as much money as possible as quick as possible" product. It's ignorant to claim people value quantity over quality when the quality of the product (e.g. The "dicey" servers) is poor. That's like saying people disliked a cake because it wasn't big enough when the frosting tasted like spicy manure and the serving plates were dirtier than a crackhouse.

SFV is an astonishingly poor release for a major franchise. It's embarassing for everyone involved; it's a black eye for Capcom as the developer, Sony as the financier, and the vocal FGC that has (predictably) emerged with the old and terribly misguided non-inclusive "filthy casuals" rhetoric. I'm trying to figure out how the game launched in it's current state. Did Capcom run out of money during development? Did Sony fail to realize that they were financing half a game? Did both companies just say "F*ck it" and released it in a poor state, knowing that they'll be able to hit their sales numbers with or without positive feedback?

This will come across as preachy, but I hope this generation of gaming doesn't devolve into "Ehhhhh we'll patch it later". For the sake of keeping these machines interesting for both casual and hardcore consumers, I hope the future software launches are not as poor as the launches for SFV, Driveclub, Destiny etc. I think the worst thing that could happen this gen is to have major companies like Sony and Capcom getaway with shipping $60 products that are more akin to weekend Beta's and Early Access releases. This stuff really has to stop.

Briarios

I view SFV like an amazing car -- the engine is fine tuned, the exterior glorious ... But it's a car with only one door. Sure, it's great for people who want to race or just show it off ... But, for most people, one door is a deal breaker -- and it's not about quality or content, its about features.

When SFV has all the features most people expect, more people will hop on.

I don't think anyone can deny how good the core game is.

It is however fair to say the rest of the package isn't up to what people expect in regards to value.

KevinCow

Banned

A.E Suggs

They killed USF4 after 6 months of support on PS4. They have too much invested in this to go back.

But I never imagined how badly they'd bungle this game's launch.

Me neither honestly, online not working day one was actually the bigger blow than the arcade mode stuff. It had both sides salty.

That doesn't say anything about Vs. CPU.

And the fact that they didn't even consider adding a basic Arcade Mode until the game released and was met with backlash just boggles my mind.

Who said they didn't consider it? They could have had every intention to release it but the FM issue is probably what stopped them. We'll know by how quickly they release arcade mode me thinks.

Garlador

The article comes off super defensive. I guess it's because the consumer discontent is contrary to the person's view of the game who wrote the article, who also wrote the review which gave it a high score.

Like others have already said, we can have both quality and quantity, and features that were once standard in a longstanding series now omitted is a big deal, because if you "give them an inch, they'll take a mile", meaning the status quo of what is expected will shift and become less and less, if there is no pushback.

Exactly. These developers now are getting lazy, and rely on online content more and more. I was ticked that you had to even go online to unlock the Story mode in MKX! That stuff should be available as you pop in the disc, no day one patch needed. Things have changed for the worse.

I have a suspicion these publishers are getting kickbacks from Sony and MS as well, because these online games require the subscription fees on the consoles, which probably brings in a lot of revenue.

Ubisoft's recent focus to more online mulitplayer games is a worrying trend. Either they have completely misread the market, or they simply don't care and shift focus to a particular segment which they think is more profitable.

That's something one of my friends said once: "add online to anything and it becomes more enjoyable with a friend" and he's right. I played awful games that became bearable with an online buddy.

But that doesn't make the games GOOD; it just makes the social element better. It's a crutch that helps hide the flaws and lack of features in those other games we played.

I hate bringing it up over and over (wait... no I don't), but 1996's Soul Blade - which came out 20 damn years ago - set the bar for me. It wasn't just a good fighting game (and it was), but it also was BUSTING with content.

Every fighter had multiple, free costumes and colors to earn and unlock. Every character had multiple new weapons to hunt down and acquire which affected gameplay in different ways. Every single character had a robust, story-driven adventure mode with branching pathways, challenging round win conditions, and secret fights to discover. Every character had an animated, cutscene ending with interactive elements and multiple endings. Stages had day and night transitions. The game included not one, not two, but THREE soundtrack options for players to listen to. Various unlockable secrets let you experiment with and alter things like the fighting ring size and player health, giving players added challenge or a handicap. It had multiple unlockable characters, countless and dynamic modes like Team Battle, Survival, and Time Attack....

Geez, and this was a game release on the PS1 in 1996. It rocked my world.

Twenty years later, and SFV launches and it doesn't even offer 1/10th of what that dinosaur of a game offered me.

... I kind of want to replay Soul Blade right now.

Ryce

I spend far more time keeping up with gaming news than the average consumer, and even I didn't know that CPUs were missing from Versus mode until Amazon had already shipped my order. I don't think I'm at fault for assuming that such a simplistic staple of Street Fighter would be included. Until Capcom patches it back in, I won't be happy with my purchase.

Pompadour

And the fact that they didn't even consider adding a basic Arcade Mode until the game released and was met with backlash just boggles my mind.

They will add a Vs. CPU if they add an Arcade Mode. The former requires way less effort than the latter.

Ray Down

Banned
I view SFV like an amazing car -- the engine is fine tuned, the exterior glorious ... But it's a car with only one door. Sure, it's great for people who want to race or just show it off ... But, for most people, one door is a deal breaker -- and it's not about quality or content, its about features.

Same, especially if reviewers keep updating and capcom does yearly game of the year ones.

if sfv is a complete failure financially, maybe this'll be a chance to bring street fighter 3: 3rd strike out of retirement for another 10 years strong

Pompadour

if sfv is a complete failure financially, maybe this'll be a chance to bring street fighter 3: 3rd strike out of retirement for another 10 years strong

That won't happen. If SFV fails beyond belief then every big tourney will suddenly make a Smash game their headliner.

synce

It's not disproportionate because if people keep letting shit slide like it's no big deal it'll keep happening.

J 0 E

Agree with the article, gameplay is king specially in fighting games and SFV delivers on this regard

one month wait for the other modes is not too much to ask.

zenpuff

Neo Member
Even when they do add that story mode (4 months from now...and I'm going to hazard a guess it won't blow anyone away), there's still very valid complaints about broken online and controllers/fightsticks not working on PC. Matchmaking seems pretty poor as I write this, and the lobby system is pretty messed up for most people.

The backlash is completely justified. And the fact so much of the FGC has this "don't like it, don't eat!" attitude reminded me why I stopped going to local tournaments back in college.

DR2K

Banned

Local demo units have vs CPU only matches. It's already been implemented just not in the core game for some reason.

Rocketz

This whole situation feels like Titanfall again. Game comes out with amazing gameplay, some of the best around, but people are upset because it's not packed full of features like other games in the genre are.

They deserve it, they pushed the game out to early and it's missing completely needed features. Direct Input should of been supported at launch, so many sticks arn't compatible which should be.

SarusGray

Isn't that the point? They never said they would be there, but they never said they wouldn't.

In fact, many websites I read, as recently as last month, were saying there was going to be an Arcade Mode. I linked to one such website earlier attributing that statement to Ono himself.

If the statement was mistranslated or misquoted, Capcom never corrected them.

If you want Street Fighter and Capcom to do better in the feature and provide more value to customers (or, heck, the industry at large to avoid releasing barebones games), then criticize and critique the game, share your impressions, talk about it, talk to them directly, express your displeasure, and explain why you feel that way.

That does more than just "buy/don't buy". Forums are a medium of feedback, after all.

if sales are bad they'll change their shit. Money speaks louder.

KingBroly

Banned
Me neither honestly, online not working day one was actually the bigger blow than the arcade mode stuff. It had both sides salty.

I think the biggest display of ignorance to me is that this game is basically online only. And it's a Fighting Game, whose heart and soul is local multiplayer.

Definitely agree for the most part. I can't wait to see how terrible this story is when it hits. The current story mode is trash, just like arcade mode in every other Street Fighter. Only modes I can ever remember personally enjoying were parry training in 3s, and Trials in 4. Everything else was garbage that I had to cycle through to get to the meat of the game, Vs and Online play. I'm more irritated by the fact that I can't just have the stage music play when I get thrown into a match, as it defaults to character themes unless it's a lobby. Only themes I even want to hear are Fang and Necalli. Maybe we will get some Smash Bros style options one day.

Why not both?

Game can't be quality without quantity...
If you are Smash Bros, then it's pretty much expected.

I think the biggest display of ignorance to me is that this game is basically online only. And it's a Fighting Game, whose heart and soul is local multiplayer.
I didn't even know there were issues with local play. What's wrong with it? I haven't tried it yet.

DrArchon

This whole situation feels like Titanfall again. Game comes out with amazing gameplay, some of the best around, but people are upset because it's not packed full of features like other games in the genre are.

It's worse than Titanfall imo. At least Titanfall was the first entry in a new IP (albeit made by industry veterans). This is Street Fighter 5, and pretty much all of the previous SF games launched with more content than this one. It's not just about the game lacking content in a vacuum or in comparison to its competitors, it's lacking in compared to earlier games in the same series.

zenpuff

Neo Member

I feel like wanting the inclusion of a simple vs. CPU mode is not asking for the game to be "packed with features"

Garlador

if sales are bad they'll change their shit. Money speaks louder.

Capcom was never very good with that... More often than not, they'd just stop making those games and keep telling Mega Man fans it was all their fault Mega Man Legends 3 got cancelled.

I don't know if Capcom has evolved past their "go big or go home" mindset yet.

I feel like wanting the inclusion of a simple vs. CPU mode is not asking for the game to be "packed with features"
Right.

Most people aren't asking for a thousand features or an 8-hour story mode or something.

They're asking for things that existed back in the 16-bit era on SNES and Sega Genesis.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

It's not a one door car.

This is like a car that's fine for driving on the roads or racing, but doesn't have a built in blue ray player to sit in the garage and watch. Or a little button on the steering wheel that makes engine noises and screeches so you can sit in the garage and pretend you're actually driving the car.

Skilletor

Just played for 5 hours last night local vs. Had a 16 man tourney at our weekly gathering. It is not online only.

I didn't even know there were issues with local play. What's wrong with it? I haven't tried it yet.

Absolutely nothing.

jaypah

I just wanted a fighting game with decent single and mulitplayer, the way I've always played fighting games. The game looks killer but it's not worth $60 to me right now. Someday it will be and I'll buy it then. To say that I'm acting like I'm entitled or that I don't care about quality at the expense of quantity is completely stupid and rather defensive at that.

It's not a one door car.

This is like a car that's fine for driving on the roads or racing, but doesn't have a built in blue ray player to sit in the garage and watch. Or a little button on the steering wheel that makes engine noises and screeches so you can sit in the garage and pretend you're actually driving the car.

But if every car always had those features you would probably feel slighted to pay the same price but not get those features. Not that this analogy was sound to begin with.

Also no need to mock people who just want at the least the same single player content that we usually get. Yes, I want to sit in my baby seat and pretend to play fighting games like the big boys. Really? Lol

Top Bottom