• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop PS4 preorder reserve slots more than double of XB1?

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Preordered PS4 about two hours ago in GS Store here just outside NY City. They told me they were half sold out of PS4, and limited on XBOne. They also told me most other stores in the area were already sold out of PS4.

Sleepers will be sorry for not getting in on it. I kept my Amazon.com pre-order placed minutes before I got an e-mail telling me I could pre-order hit my phone.

I would hate to be left in the cold this holiday while other gamers are soaking up the higher-end graphics.

MrDaravon

Kinda hid the link in the OP, here ya go: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=576869

I tried to get some info from my GS but they said they weren't allowed to give numbers. :(

I've seen multiple people on twitter today say their Gamestops were taking 2-3 times as many PS4 than X1 preorders, but that's all anectodal to the max. Also depends on if you buy any of the theories that Gamestop isn't getting as many units as other stores. Probably impossible to call either way, but I will say that the length of time physical and online stores are taking pre-orders for both systems makes me super nervous.

Jarmel

Banned
I can confirm that GameStop near me has literally over three times the number of PS4 slots compared to the Xbox One. The One had 12 slots and the PS4 had 40.

Amory

Oh god if PS4's are available in decent numbers into the holiday and Xbone has supply problems, it is really over. I don't know how this could get worse for them.

Still - largely rumor/speculation at this point right?

Edit: Oh clicked on the Truthfact from CBoaT link.

Lol what do people even mean "it's over"?

smh can we wait until they at least hit store shelves?

Makki

My local gamestop was sold out of Xbone preorders but had some PS4 left still. The employee said they had very little slots for Xbone preorders

Im surprised people still preorder the Xbone with all the negativity

Curufinwe

2 to 1 seems extreme , but if Sony get a 50/50 split with MS in the US and UK, they will be way ahead in worldwide sales.

Darklor01

Now that I think about it.. this is kind of funny to me.

When I went into the store to pre-order, the clerk looked at me and asked if he could help me. I simply said, "Preorder". He looked at me and said "Playstation 4?". It's like XBOX One wasn't even a likely thought in his head.

Oh boy, if PS4 becomes the hype console during the holidays and the one people are gravitating to in the US, MS might as well quit. xbone is already DOA in japan and europe.

quickfire13

Neo Member
I can confirm as well that the GS in my area had alot more PS4 pre-orders allotted to them over Xbox's. However, while I was there having conversation with someone about the PS4 and the employee, she received a call and she was given the go ahead for more Xbox pre-orders (they had been sold out).

TheHater

My GameStop have 62 PS4 available for pre-order compare to 8 for the xbox one. The gamestop had a line this morning before it open and over 20+ preorder was gone before my turn.

sunnz

Or maybe GameStop wants more PS4s sold because they don't have to change the way they sell used games.

I see the MS model benefiting GS a lot more than how it currently is on the ps3/360 and ps4.

Cause there will be no ebay to sell your games on.

Darklor01

My local gamestop was sold out of Xbone preorders but had some PS4 left still. The employee said they had very little slots for Xbone preorders

Im surprised people still preorder the Xbone with all the negativity

I don't know. I was talking with two of my friends who are loyal to XBOX, but also have PS3. They have friends that are getting Xbox One, and they want to keep gaming with them. They also feel that there are games they want to play on XBOX.. so.. I understand their loyalty.

They don't trade in what they own, they don't buy used, and they don't disconnect their current systems from the internet. Other than a higher price, and the Kinect being forced on them, they don't see it all as a big deal that MS has some negative press around it.

5amshift

Banned
From this OP, this morning a friend and I was told similar numbers.

We were numbers 7&8 to get pre-orders, and the guy said they'll have about 20-30 on launch, while only 7-10 Xbones. He also told us he's been getting e-mails to raise the pre-orders of the Xbones + 6.

Mikey Jr.

I see the MS model benefiting GS a lot more than how it currently is on the ps3/360 and ps4.

Cause there will be no ebay to sell your games on.

MS/Publishers get a cut of the used game though.

Sony/Publishers don't with the PS4.

As much as the manufacturing issues are playing into this, couldn't this largely be a result of Gamestop not incentivising a console that will in due time eat into their profit margin? It doesn't have to be some grand conspiracy, it is simple business sense. PS4, Wii U, 3DS and Vita all maintain the status quo, xbone does not.

Woggerman

Banned
Apologies if old. Accordin' to Wario64's twitter, there's some interesting data regarding preorder reserve slots for Xbox One and PS4 (not actual preorders, but the amount of consoles they're expecting to get in at launch):

This kind of falls in line with the rumoredTRUTHFACT about bad yields on the eSRAM for XB1, which could affect pricing and availability. Has anyone else encountered these kinds of reserve slots? Gonna ask my GS when I go up there tomorrow morning.

I had to drive to 3 different Gamestops to find one that wasn't sold out of Xbox Ones. I preordered both the PS4 and X1 and I wanted to get them from the same store. All three stores sold out on the first day and then got some more allocation today. The first 2 stores sold out of their allocation.

On a side note. It will be interesting to see whether MS is allocating more inventory to more "mass market" retailers this time around rather than going through the normal hardcore gamer retailers like Gamestop.

Man I really hope Gamestop isn't over allocating these pre-orders. I was one of the first for both but if they can't meet the demand preorders don't mean shit.

Persona7

Banned
I talked to my friend who is a game stop manager and that store got 10 slots for both consoles and they were full within two hours.

AngryMoth

Well pretty much every gaf insider agreed that the xbone is having major yield issues...

But this does seem like something which could easily change a lot between now and launch

Jarnet87

Same with the store I went to in South Florida. They had a sheet for pre orders that they marked green to account for all the consoles they were expected to get. They told me about 20-25 PS4s and only about 10 Xbox Ones.

Karak

I can confirm as well that the GS in my area had alot more PS4 pre-orders allotted to them over Xbox's. However, while I was there having conversation with someone about the PS4 and the employee, she received a call and she was given the go ahead for more Xbox pre-orders (they had been sold out).

Ya sounds like a second shipment? Here XBox slots were sold out and PS4 still had a couple left and had more available as well and were informed more were coming as well.

DC1

Just pre-ordered the PS4 from my local GS in southern MD.

I picked up #17 of 20 available PS4s.
Only 10 Xbones were available and was sold out by the time I arrived.

My local eb said they are getting around 150 ps4s at launch and only 45 xbones. Not sure how accurate those numbers are though.

Only 6 of those xbones are day 1 editions according to them too.

Malalaw

We were allocated 10 XBones and 40 Ps4s and 28 Dshock4 controllers. Almost done with both the ps4 and controllers. Hit our 10 but a few who did it was so sad they were. Lol

hackdog

Banned
Maybe the PS4 is just a more mature product. Maybe the idea of shipping 16 million by 2014 wasn't as crazy as it seems.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If Sony wants to make life even harder for MS, they should try launching earlier or at the same time as MS.

I was seriously wondering if, the reason they didn't announce a date, was because they wanted MS to nail down a specific date then go WEEK BEFORE

harSon

Banned
Does anyone else remember those monthly anecdote threads we had at the beginning of last generation, and how useless they were in dictating any type of tangible sales trend?

So, basically, MS made a console that is severely underpowered compared to the PS4, costs about the same to make and they can't make it in volume large enough to match Sony's. That's one plan that went seriously wrong somewhere. If they lose this season in the US, things will look very bleak for them. They deserve it though, after their DRM stunt.

Klocker

Does anyone else remember those monthly anecdote threads we had at the beginning of last generation, and how useless they were in dictating any type of tangible sales trend?

yea pretty hilarious... nothing will be known until around January NPD

v0mitg0d

My $.02 cents.

I pre-ordered both. I asked and the guy at GameStop said the were 26 PS4 slots and 7 X1 slots.

Iorv3th

My store had 8 xbones and 20 ps4's. My store is also one that sells a lot of 360's and 360 games in our district. So.... take that as you will.

Top Bottom