• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop PS4 preorder reserve slots more than double of XB1?

Can someone explain to me how they can already know launch allocations so early? These systems probably haven't even started hitting manufacturing yet.

Did Sony/Microsoft tell retailers prior to E3 how much they are expecting to deliver on launch?

Boss Man

Not one to pay much attention to Amazon stuff, but seeing the PS4 version of titles all above the X1 versions does seem indicative of interest.

Freki

If PS4 and One sell out it means PS4 would still sell 3x as much which means any timed exclusives will come to PS4 much quicker, yippeeee.

Nope - the contracts are already signed and I doubt they contain any form of exit clause.

Elios83

These pre-order slots are related to what they're being told from Sony/MS right now?
So in this case the meaning is that Sony is being more confident in their launch supply compared to MS?
That would fit with the low yields reports for the X1 SOC but I think that we'll get the full picture in September. It's too early, at this point it's a forecast in either case.

JaggedSac

Not surprised, I think major nelson said they sold out of their initial stock in four hours after the announce.

EDIT: Sorry, he was talking about Amazon.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Release it October 26, 2013.

Both earlier and the 13th anniversary of the PS2's North American launch.

Hard to predict.

The PlayStation was launched in Japan on December 3, 1994, North America on September 9, 1995, Europe on September 29, 1995, and Oceania on November 15, 1995

Playstation 2 launched on March 4, 2000, in Japan, October 26, 2000 in North America, and November 24, 2000 in Europe

Playstation 3 launched on November 11, 2006 in Japan, November 17, 2006 in North America, and March 23, 2007 in Europe

Playstation 4 launches on ???? All signs in the US point to November for the rest .. well.. if it's worldwide, money would be right around XBOne launch date.

moho-foe

Neo Member
I just pre-ordered mine at game stop and I asked the guy how many PS4's they were getting. He told me he couldn't give me an exact number(?) but that he didn't have many more pre-order slots left. Seems like supply will be limited one way or another.

Darklor01

Can someone explain to me how they can already know launch allocations so early? These systems probably haven't even started hitting manufacturing yet.

Did Sony/Microsoft tell retailers prior to E3 how much they are expecting to deliver on launch?

I'm going to guess that factories know how many machines can be produced within a given timeframe. I'll also speculate knows about how many parts they can purchase for the production within however many factories are making the system. They can then divide that number amongst the regions they are shipping to. Buyers from various companies can then place bids for quantities, and sign contracts to purchase the quantities. Management from those companies then divide those quantities by regions, and then stores within those regions.

This is generally known well before price announcement. at least, that's what I know based on my experience in retail and corporate offices of retail chains.

I'm not in that industry anymore.. but.. I think that's generally how it goes

*puts tinfoil hat on*

What if retailers have a part in this as well? I mean which console do you think Gamestop, Best Buy, and especially Amazon, and every other retailer want to succeed after last night?

Could be anecdotal but on my twitter feed a promoted Best Buy tweet kept advertising me to pre order a PS4. Xbox.....not once.

Darklor01

*puts tinfoil hat on*

What if retailers have a part in this as well? I mean which console do you think Gamestop, Best Buy, and especially Amazon, and every other retailer want to succeed after last night?

Could be anecdotal but on my twitter feed a promoted Best Buy tweet kept advertising me to pre order a PS4. Xbox.....not once.

Buyers need approval from management before signing contracts to purchase. If they think a system won't sell well, they won't approve large purchase quantities.

The puny little Gamestop near my parent's house already had 12 preorders for the PS4. And the guy said some of the bigger ones nearby had already gotten like 50 preorders for the PS4.

Maybe they're keeping most of the stock saved for cable companies subsidiaries? Since you don't own games on the Xbone you only lease them, maybe you don't own the Xbone either?

TheCloser

Banned
I can confirm this rumor as well. One of my friends who is a gamestop manager in Saskatoon Canada confirmed this to me when i went to preorder my ps4 at 8am(1.5 hours before store opens) this morning. The Xbox One had 10 units allocated and over 30 for the ps4. What he told me was that head office told didn't send them an allocation amount, the email he received said that they can take as many preorders as needed until they are given the order to stop. Xbox One has only 10 units for the launch/first edition at this particular location. It was sold out already by evening time. I can prove this if someone likes. I have my preorder receipt which i can upload a picture of if necessary.

Quick question:

On Amazon's page for PS4, it says there is a "standard edition" and "launch edition". I preordered right when preorders came up and there was not an option for the launch edition. What is different about it?

JCizzle

I can confirm that GameStop near me has literally over three times the number of PS4 slots compared to the Xbox One. The One had 12 slots and the PS4 had 40.

Drive up dat illusion of demand. Can't have tons of XBONES on the shelves like the U did at launch.

Darklor01

Maybe they're keeping most of the stock saved for cable companies subsidiaries? Since you don't own games on the Xbone you only lease them, maybe you don't own the Xbone either?

I don't know. From what I've seen... cable companies generally won't bundle something or sell a product which might be used instead of their box. I think, don't know, but doesn't the XBOne offer the ability to plug in a coax, and pay MS for some form of cable service?

AngryMoth

*puts tinfoil hat on*

I don't know, MS aren't actually claiming any fee from used sales right? So provided you are one of the retailer partners that will sell used xbone games (whcih i assime the ones you listed are) you'd think they wouldn't be trying to influence things one way or the other. Amazon might be the exception

Freki

yea pretty hilarious... nothing will be known until around January NPD

This isn't about sales predictions per se - it's more about prediction the amount of available consoles at launch.

There has to be a reason for PS4 having 2/3:1 more preorder slots than xbone. It seems consistant and where's smoke there is fire.

Alchemy

I don't know, MS aren't actually claiming any fee from used sales right? So provided you are one of the retailer partners that will sell used xbone games (whcih i assime the ones you listed are) you'd think they wouldn't be trying to influence things one way or the other. Amazon might be the exception

MS has to approve a retailer to accept used games, and probably has their fingers deep in regulating the costs of used games as a result. Even then I'm sure there is some additional system needed to learn to actually go through with the used sales, which involves employee training and lost resources as a result. The used game licensing is a huge pain in the ass for everyone involved, the only reason it was implemented was because it should increase revenue for Microsoft and its publisher partners.

PrimeRib_

Quick question:

On Amazon's page for PS4, it says there is a "standard edition" and "launch edition". I preordered right when preorders came up and there was not an option for the launch edition. What is different about it?

I noticed this too. Looks like the disclaimer below says:

"Product Alert
The standard version of the PlayStation 4 is identical to the Launch Edition. Due to high demand, we cannot guarantee Release-Date Delivery on the standard version of the PlayStation 4. We will deliver the standard version of PlayStation 4 as close to its release date as possible."

Minions

In an interview someone from Microsoft said retailers know how many consoles they would be getting. I don't remember who I just remember seeing it on G4TV (spike) stream at one point. (I could be wrong, but I'm pretty certain I'm not)

Quick question:

I assume the "launch edition" is all the models that can be shipped day 1. Standard will be shipped as they are restocked. Amazon is the only retailer I've seen split them up, but it makes sense. Because they split up the orders into two products, everyone that did not order a "launch edition" won't be getting it (potentially) day one. That's my guess anyway. Personally I'd love it if Sony did something like Microsoft to differentiate the launch day preorders.

I mentioned these rumors this morning when I was in my local GameStop. I said that I had heard 10ish XBOs vs. 30ish PS4s and the manager said that the numbers were corporate confidential, but that I wasn't that far off base. I didn't pry for exact numbers, but I think that there's clearly an issue here.

Buyers need approval from management before signing contracts to purchase. If they think a system won't sell well, they won't approve large purchase quantities.

so you're saying I'm not crazy?

True, but the profit margins would shrink under MS's system and on top of that less trade ins would occur.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Man oh man if Sony can really get those systems out there, for every poor gamer who sees an empty shelf as he goes to pick up Xbox One and then notices a $100 cheaper PS4 with no restrictions and more power... they really can capitalize if they're careful

i'm not sure they even need to be careful.

bigace33

So do I need to leave now to stand in line 6 hours to get a PS4 Best Buy preorder you think?

Nah man, I just walked into my local Gamestop and pre-ordered a PS4. I could have got an XB1 if I wanted to as well. The GS employees were really trying to push the XB1 though. I guess the higher price plus the near exclusive GS used games sale on the XB1 makes it a better deal for the. It's interesting that EA is pushing XB1 game pre-orders on their Origin site and no PS4 stuff.

Man oh man if Sony can really get those systems out there, for every poor gamer who sees an empty shelf as he goes to pick up Xbox One and then notices a $100 cheaper PS4 with no restrictions and more power... they really can capitalize if they're careful

That sounds delicious... Sony should have an aggressive marketing campaign near lunch to magnify the benefits the PS4 has over Xbox Juan.

AngryMoth

MS has to approve a retailer to accept used games, and probably has their fingers deep in regulating the costs of used games as a result. Even then I'm sure there is some additional system needed to learn to actually go through with the used sales, which involves employee training and lost resources as a result. The used game licensing is a huge pain in the ass for everyone involved, the only reason it was implemented was because it should increase revenue for Microsoft and its publisher partners.
Your right, I'm sure they aren't pleased by the restrictions, there are definitely downsides for them

This seems to be true. I reserved my PS4 at my local GameStop today. I chatted with the girl working there a little bit and she told me they only had 14 Xbones coming in. She said that other stores were getting about 10, but they had the most in the area. It took them about five hours yesterday to sell out of preorders. She didn't give me a number for the PS4's, but she implied they were getting more of them then Xbones.

kick51

Banned
If the poor yields rumor is true, that also kinda hurts my confidence in the launch system's resilience

and that's about the only thing left to go wrong with the damn Xbone-- high percentage of them turning out defective lol

Hope you guys are going to preorder soon if you plan on doing it at Gamestop. Two of the Gamestops at the mall I work at are sold out of preorders. They got 26 slots. Didn't ask how many Xbone slots they got. I ended up preordering at the Sony Store though. 50 bucks down there. :D

PrimeRib_

Quick question:

Bring up Amazon right now. When you search "Playstation 4," it will show both Standard and Launch editions. As you click from one to the other, Amazon should drop a note above to tell you which one you ordered.

For example, when I hover over Launch edition, I get

Instant Order Update for XXXX. You purchased this item on June 10, 2013. with a hyperlink to the order.

PrimeRib_

Nah man, I just walked into my local Gamestop and pre-ordered a PS4. I could have got an XB1 if I wanted to as well. The GS employees were really trying to push the XB1 though. I guess the higher price plus the near exclusive GS used games sale on the XB1 makes it a better deal for the. It's interesting that EA is pushing XB1 game pre-orders on their Origin site and no PS4 stuff.

Not surprising, considering it's in EA's best interest after removing online passes from the equation.

Jomjom

Banned
Anyone working at one of the retailers offering preorders have any anecdotal information about which console is getting more preorders? From what I'm hearing it seems like the Xbone is getting more preorders.

Ljwinter

Banned
Preordered today at Best Buy. Guy said he's lost count to how many reserves he put in for PS4. Said no more than 20 for XB1. Also, BB only requires $25 down.

Darklor01

Anyone working at one of the retailers offering preorders have any anecdotal information about which console is getting more preorders? From what I'm hearing it seems like the Xbone is getting more preorders.

I hear the exact opposite

I can also sort of confim. My brother went to a GameStop today in CT and the clerk told him that they had double the allocation for PS4 than Xbones and that the PS4 pre-orders were filled already and the Xbone still had a few more available.

Jarnet87

I forgot what podcast it was but they said that it would be pretty reasonable if they launched around Battlefield and COD releases.

I don't want an Xbone.

Unless I can't have one. Then I want one.

My mind cannot fathom how anyone wants an Xbox Juan... let alone pre-order one... but hey... there are folks who like to willingly be abused right?, kinda like the girl who keeps getting beat up by her boyfriend yet she keeps coming back... what can you do other than get baffled?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Man, this really confirms the low eSRAM yields IMO.

At the same time I wonder why Sony didn't announce the official launch date? I have to imagine they saw when MS was going to launch, and probably had a very close release date to that and want to move it up a bit.

TheHater

Man, this really confirms the low eSRAM yields IMO.

At the same time I wonder why Sony didn't announce the official launch date? I have to imagine they saw when MS was going to launch, and probably had a very close release date to that and want to move it up a bit.

According to my GameStop, they are expecting late October or early November in the United States

Edit: Where I work, there is a BestBuy and GameStop. I will trying asking them tomorrow to see what their answer are. Have anyone heard anything from their locals stores?

Freki

So is it a possibility that both will be sold out come launch date?

WiiU was flying of the shelves at launch - the only reason they weren't sold out is that they had a metric shitton of supply.
I think it's a given that both consoles will sell out. I think January and February numbers will be the first indicator about the real demand.

Top Bottom