• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop PS4 preorder reserve slots more than double of XB1?

Nah man, I just walked into my local Gamestop and pre-ordered a PS4. I could have got an XB1 if I wanted to as well. The GS employees were really trying to push the XB1 though. I guess the higher price plus the near exclusive GS used games sale on the XB1 makes it a better deal for the. It's interesting that EA is pushing XB1 game pre-orders on their Origin site and no PS4 stuff.

A lot of Gamestop employees also seem to be Microsoft fans as well, perhaps because largely their staff is made of people that grew up on the 360. Remember a lot of the 18-21 year olds that work there, majority of their staff, were 10-13 when the 360 launched. So it doesn't surprise me they are pushing the Xbox heavily. That's not to say Sony fans don't work there, but it is rare I run across many working there. I remember early in this gen the Sony hate in stores around me was crazy, employees literally telling customers they shouldn't be buying a PS3, or worse shouldn't be buying games for the PS3 they own already. Anecdotal sure, but I can't be the only one that has seen this.

adversary

Banned
My friend does gameplay videos on youtube as part of his job and he has some connections with his local Gamepsot. He recently got a call from them saying to pre-order the xbox one fast since they only have 10 of them.

gillFTR

It seems like SONY is waiting for MS to announce the release date in which SONY will beat them by a week or 2. While MS is waiting for SONY, so they put release date as close as possible to SONY.

tripleV

I went to EBGames today to pre-order a PS4. I asked the sales rep if she had received a lot of pre-orders today and she said "yes," they were all out of XB-One but still had a lot of PS4s due to the fact that Sony had allocated more than double the amount of pre-order slots at their store. Either MS is going for the "sold out" look or they're not completely ready for the holiday season. I do live in Canada however so not sure if this is true for U.S. stores.

Can someone explain to me how they can already know launch allocations so early? These systems probably haven't even started hitting manufacturing yet.

Did Sony/Microsoft tell retailers prior to E3 how much they are expecting to deliver on launch?

No, they are definitely manufacturing if they want enough consoles out there without too many shortages.

I went into my local GS today and it sounded like they were only getting 15-20 and said there were less Xbox Ones available. My buddy works at one in the mall and they got 30 PS4's, I didn't ask about how many Xbox Ones they had on preorder but he said they went in the first 3 hours.

Steroyd

It seems like SONY is waiting for MS to announce the release date in which SONY will beat them by a week or 2. While MS is waiting for SONY, so they put release date as close as possible to SONY.

I also feel like they're waiting to see which games are ready for launch, especially if they've got it together ready with a massive stock of PS4's in the pipeline.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Does anyone else remember those monthly anecdote threads we had at the beginning of last generation, and how useless they were in dictating any type of tangible sales trend?

yes, i remember them, and from what i recall they were generally on trend to what NPD was reporting.
Lots of people saying "tons of ps3s at my location, tons of ps3s at best buy here" etc etc. and the sales of the well supplied 600 dollar machine lagged significantly.

Whereas for Wii it was "my location got 30 of them and they were all gone very quickly"

rykomatsu

I assume the "launch edition" is all the models that can be shipped day 1. Standard will be shipped as they are restocked. Amazon is the only retailer I've seen split them up, but it makes sense. Because they split up the orders into two products, everyone that did not order a "launch edition" won't be getting it (potentially) day one. That's my guess anyway. Personally I'd love it if Sony did something like Microsoft to differentiate the launch day preorders.

Oh sweet, if this is really the case...somehow got an order in for launch edition :)

Someone posted Amazon saying the standard version ships within a day or two of launch. If it's really that short of a span between launch and standard it's still a good deal. System could be sold out for months.

Amir0x

Banned
10 Xbox One, 24 PS4 at mine.

Man, PS4 is going to dominate so hard if these numbers remain even close to accurate.

Significantly more power, no restrictions, $100 cheaper, and double the units at launch? This is like the world's slowest moving train wreck for Microsoft.

syko de4d

2-3times more in US/EU + Japan and maybe eastern Europe, in which X1 will not sold at launch?
Could be happen, that X1 will be already millions behind PS4 at the beginning of 2014 :D

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Someone posted Amazon saying the standard version ships within a day or two of launch. If it's really that short of a span between launch and standard it's still a good deal. System could be sold out for months.

GS and Amazon SHOULD push the PS4 over XBOne IMO. They both take trades. GS lives on trades. Why would either company purchas more of a system which will ultimately gelp them in the buy/trade ecosystem, especially if its their lifeline. GS HAS to offer XBOne to keep customers happy. PS4 caters more to their culture as a company(not necessarily to what employees at a given store want). There is little profit in console and new game sales. Unless MS has cut them in on used game sale profit in some form, I would think GS corporate wants you to buy a PS4

Magnus

Up here in Toronto, stores have reserve limits for XBO's today, but were told to go ahead and reserve as many PS4's as they wanted. No limits yet. I imagine that'll change tomorrow.

Ya know, GameStop employees probably won't be very fond of the Xbox One.

I worked at GameStop from 2008-2010, and one of the perks of working there is that you can "rent" games from the store. Basically, you're allowed to take home games for a day or two to play them, provided there's at least one additional copy of the game available to sell. You're technically only supposed to take home used games, but people would take home new games all the time as well. And they would often take home games that weren't even released yet.

Employees will be completely unable to do that with Xbox One games. And they won't be pleased. You don't want every single employee of the largest video game retailer in the country displeased with your product.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Ya know, GameStop employees probably won't be very fond of the Xbox One.

I worked at GameStop from 2008-2010, and one of the perks of working there is that you can "rent" games from the store. Basically, you're allowed to take home games for a day or two to play them, provided there's at least one additional copy of the game available to sell. You're technically only supposed to take home used games, but people would take home new games all the time as well. And they would often take home games that weren't even released yet.

Employees will be completely unable to do that with Xbox One games. And they won't be pleased. You don't want every single employee of the largest video game retailer in the country displeased with your product.

I didn't even think about that, haha.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Significantly more power, no restrictions, $100 cheaper, and double the units at launch? This is like the world's slowest moving train wreck for Microsoft.
I'm beginning to suspect you're a plant, just like Phil Harrison. ;)

Agh I should've asked what the reserve slots were when I reserved my ps4. I imagine it's probably similar to what everyone else has been saying though.

jim2011

There are a couple other things that could be going on though...

1) Microsoft may want to have systems in store at launch for those who did not preorder. Anyone know if Gamestop usually has a set amount of preorder slots and then systems available first come first serve at launch?

2) Its still available on microsoft's own store:
http://xbox.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/html/pbPage.PDP/productID.282124000

Perhaps they are trying to sell more systems directly. They did give out the $10 credit after all for just signing up for a preorder notification.

There's a fine line between purposely constraining supply and letting your rival get a massive install base lead right off the bat. PS4 is looking very hot right now among the casuals as well as core gamers, the larger the install base the more people will want to join the more hyped console.

Yes the Wii was constrained but it also sold a shit ton of stock.

That didn't go so well for the people that bought up launch ps3s.

or wii u

eastmen

Banned
Gamestop preorders are only for Day one edition . Gamestop will start taking regular edition reserves later on and will get a separate stock of them about 1-2 weeks after the day ones are out.

MS wants to create a hype around the limited boxes nad make it a cool thing to own.

I know a few managers and Dm's at gamestop all the stores sold out of xbox one reserves in their area but they are expecting another 2-3 times the amount of stock for the non bundled verisons

Darklor01

This is going to make for a awkward launch night at retail stores.

Working at GS, I loved console launch night. I managed PS2 launch night. Epic. People begging to get one. People offering bribes. Someone paid $1500 for one from a person leaving the store with one. Before eBay days.

As an manager, stocking the boxes in the back anywhere they could fit(bathroom near toilet included).. Seeing the box before other people knew what it looked like. God things were different before everyone got Internet on everything everywhere. Lol.

People lined up at the gates waiting to get it. So much fun. Can't see this being different except, the supply is greater, and no one needs to sell body parts on the black market to get one.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Preordered today and the clerk told me they were expecting 30+ ps4s and 8-10 xbones.

LowerLevel

There's a fine line between purposely constraining supply and letting your rival get a massive install base lead right off the bat. PS4 is looking very hot right now among the casuals as well as core gamers, the larger the install base the more people will want to join the more hyped console.

Yes the Wii was constrained but it also sold a shit ton of stock.

or wii u

That, and it's like...

Let's say you have a few friends with next gen consoles. Some Xbox, and some PlayStation. You're trying to decided what to get. "We can trade games and shit" say the PlayStation guys. That's probably all it would take to make that decision.

Now let's say those PlayStation owners outnumber their Xbox counterparts 2:1 because of supply constraints.

Darklor01

So, if I guess there are 4,471 GS stores with 20 PS4 systems in the US, on launch day, if there is a sell out, they sold 89,420 units. Not a bad install base on day 1 without figuring in other system sales from elsewhere. I wonder what the total system sales on day 1 will be in terms of quantities.

Gamestop preorders are only for Day one edition . Gamestop will start taking regular edition reserves later on and will get a separate stock of them about 1-2 weeks after the day ones are out.

MS wants to create a hype around the limited boxes nad make it a cool thing to own.

I know a few managers and Dm's at gamestop all the stores sold out of xbox one reserves in their area but they are expecting another 2-3 times the amount of stock for the non bundled verisons
Haha no. That could be true when it comes to luxury items but the idea of having limited supplies on purpose on gaming consoles is probably the stupidest thing they can do.

coldfoot

Banned
Preordered the XB day one edition from Amazon, here are my options:
1. Cancel my preorder (95% likely)
2. If MS family sharing is as described, run an DD rental service from it.
3. Ebay it for profit.

Preordered the XB day one edition from Amazon, here are my options:
1. Cancel my preorder (95% likely)
2. If MS family sharing is as described, run an DD rental service from it.
3. Ebay it for profit.

Might as well keep it for a while since Amazon doesn't charge until it ships.

Spinluck

All the Gamestops in my area are already out.

Mine here have the same amount of slots for PS4, 25. Didn't bother asking about Xbone.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

So they are going to sell out of a bundle to create hype, then stock a whole bunch of bare bones $500 boxes to create a larger group of disgruntled second class citizens. Well, MS is on a roll; WP8, Win8, Surface RT, etc. I can see this new plan really taking off and creating buzz to obliterate the PS4.

Naudi

Banned
When I ordered ps4 at my GS they had about 20 already ordered out of 32 I think...but said they may get 10 more if they sell out in a week. Xbone had 4 on order out of 10 available. He seemed to enjoy making fun of Xbone lol I'm also pretty sure he was telling the truth cause I saw the sheet he marked my order on.

Top Bottom