• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers Top 10 Divisive Games (at the GT office)

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
A lot of the consistency points he makes regarding Bioshock's enemies has more to do with them shoehorning the idea of the time period into a shamelessly obvious System Shock 2 remake, lol >.>

Like Yahtzee Croshaw said back in '08: "everything that was cyberpunk then is steampunk now...but how in the hell does a steam powered turret differentiate between friend and foe?!"

Vacuum tubes, duh.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
discussing borderlands 2 writing.jpg

tmCGfl8.jpg

93xfan

Banned
Okay, I have to skip to the Link to the Past section.

Especially since it's my favorite Zelda game (or at least tied with Link's Awakening)... what have you done, Bosman?

His arguments were mostly about the plot of a Zelda game. What poor arguments.

Qwyjibo

I can understand opposite sides to all of those games... except A Link to the Past. His argument against that just boggles my mind.

I dont understand how Kyle could hate the things he mentioned about LTTP and then love other zelda games.

Love Kyle, but his arguments here were very poor.

ohlawd

everything I hear out of this Kyle dude is always completely wacko

how can someone be wrong 24/7 365 days a year

GametimeUK

I used to be a fan of game trailers back in 2006 and holy cow the staff there now have totally won me over with their new presentation. It's just full of interesting people and I'm hooked on their content again after around 7 years of not frequenting the site.

Also, Bosman is out of his mind. Everything he loves about Zelda games was absent in ALTTP? I'd consider that game that pretty much cemented what an actual Zelda game is. He gets away with it because he is so hilarious, it's impossible for me to dislike him. Also, Ben looks like a tough as hell guy to go head to with in a debate. Really pleased with the passionate staff and I loved this video.

When I think of divisive, I think Kid Icarus Uprising. There's no middle ground on that game. People think that it's either the greatest handheld game of all time or an unplayable piece of crap

Qwyjibo

When I think of divisive, I think Kid Icarus Uprising. There's no middle ground on that game. People think that it's either the greatest handheld game of all time or an unplayable piece of crap
That depends on how much time you commit to it. I'm probably one of the rare ones that thought the controls were horrendous (especially in the ground sections) and yet still played through the entire thing. The fantastic overall presentation and enjoyable story/characters were somehow enough to overcome a, IMO, totally broken control scheme (I'm a lefty) resulting in a solid overall game.

Justinh

This was a good video.
Hearing Bosman say that Link to the Past
lacks charm
makes me shiver.
HE SHIVERED ME TIMBERS! (I actually don't know what that means, I hope it's not sexual or something...)

Great video and listen. I wish we could see some arguments about some of the more popularly divisive games (Like Twin Snakes, Splinter Cell: Conviction, Deadly Premonition and the like. Maybe even Killer 7).

NeoBob688

Step 1.
Follow the general template of taking a popular game with significant strengths in key areas and then completely ignore those and instead focus on minor, petty, and often irrelevant critiques which automatically make the game "shit".
Example: The Last of Us. Ignore the wonderfully realized characters, immersive game world, intense as fuck sneaking and combat, and other things that any sensible game player would would care about, because of a minor but ultimately irrelevant flaw regarding the lack of enemy detection of my AI partner and because of the need to spend 10 seconds every half hour to craft stuff. Also, the game doesn't give the player the "choice" to impact the story, which is true of 95% of games but is selectively applied as a noteworthy criticism only to this game, for some reason.

Step 2.
Present yourself in the most douchy manner possible in an internet video, which is obviously clickbait, but under the premise that it's just like, your opinion around the office man.

Step 3.
Realize that you are so focused on stupid bullshit that it is impeding your ability to enjoy objectively good games and take up an alternate hobby.
(Note: if an attention whore -> return to Step 1).

(Note: if an attention whore -> return to Step 1).
I know you're trying to be so clever but these are their opinions of games that they disagree with. It's not the first time Ian has ragged on Last of Us or Kyle on Bioshock, etc. these have come up in snippets during streams, shows, etc.

This is for the best, his whole argument against LttP makes no sense to me and has made me view him in a much more negative light.
He's the king of context for a reason

Example: The Last of Us. Ignore the wonderfully realized characters, immersive game world, intense as fuck sneaking and combat, and other things that any sensible game player would would care about, because of a minor but ultimately irrelevant flaw regarding the lack of enemy detection of my AI partner

I like it. Argue that a game is super immersive and intense, then deem "irrelevant" any issues that directly break immersion and tension.

Kyle Bosman likes Bioshock Infinite more than Bioshock, but I agree with him about A Link to the Past. It's a "you had to be there" kind of game, and every Zelda game since has done it better.

My assessment:

10. Metroid II - Love
09. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Hate
kappa
08. Shadows of the Damned - No opinion
07. BioShock - Like
06. Alien Isolation - No opinion
05. Fallout: New Vegas - Love
04. Kingdom Hearts - Like
03. Knack - No opinion
02. Borderlands 2 - Like
01. The Last of Us - Like

I've only played 4 games on the list

10. Metroid II - Only played it when I was a kid, way too hard and got lost and gave up

09. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - How can you hate this game?!?

07. BioShock - I really liked it

01. The Last of Us - This game is incredible

Justinh

Xenoblade Chronicles is garbage

Okay, that'd be a good game to see them debate (if there actually be any debate. I think they might mostly like it), but uh, even in the "controversial opinions thread this post would give me this reaction:

the fuck is this

I thought we were friends Kyle :/

you better have a damn good reason on why you are friends and it better make sense! (I'm just being stupid now... and also, until forever)
For once I actually agree with Ian. Last Of Us made me want to put my head through a wall, and not in the good way that The Road did.
I used to strongly dislike Ian because I hated the things he'd say. It's weird now that I really like Ian... because I sometimes hate the things he says.

For once I actually agree with Ian. Last Of Us made me want to put my head through a wall, and not in the good way that The Road did.

I wanted to like the case against LttP, partially because I agree with the one decent point Bosman made which is that it felt more like a collection of levels and lacks the charm of the later Zelda games (look at Minish Cap even for a 2D example), but yeah most of those reasons are dumb.

I actually completely understand Bosman's position on LttP, but it seems off base considering the fact that it's just the perfect example of a briskly paced, video game-y, Zelda game. It does lack meaningful context, but, really, it doesn't matter that much when the skeleton is so good.

Griss

Damn, there's another Zelda fan out there that secretly hates LttP? LoZ was my favourite game of all time, so the anticipation for LttP was intense and it was a disappointment. Luckily Link's Awakening washed that pain away.

Well played Bosman. Love that guy.

"Everything I love about those other Zelda games just isn't present in this game." It makes no sense at all, yet I've felt the same way since I played it two decades ago.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Im all for opinions and all but how can someone be divisive about Link to the Past? That game is actually perfect.

This is my favourite Gametrailers top 10. Seeing their debates is something I want to see more of. Bosman's stance on Bioshock and Borderlands 2 was frustrating, though. And Ben, as always, I love you.

Finally got to watching, and damn Bosman, you are SO off-point on Zelda. Like, dangerously so! It tells me all about his perspective on this game in that he sums up Link not going to Death Mountain because he didn't feel like it, as opposed to:

1. Him not going because hey no one ever does except for like one dude and two people who NEVER CAME BACK (until the curse is lifted)
2. Not having a magical gauntlet that gets rid of a rock that blocks access

Why is it so hard to believe that Link doesn't go to weird places? Link probably goes from his house to Kakariko, maybe a little bit north in between the Lost Woods and Death Mountain (IIRC the lumberjack brothers know him by name), and that's it - and that's normal! Link never had cause to go into a forest filled with thieves and dangerous animals, Link never went to a mountain with gigantic boulders and weird creatures, Link never went to a lake or a river filled with sea monsters, Link never went to a desert filled with vultures and SANDMEN, because why would you ever? They basically make that point in the world's design. The only people in the Lost Woods? Thieves. The only people in the desert? A nomad and an old man living in a cave. The only people on Death Mountain? An old man. Generally, people DON'T just go anywhere, and that's usually been true. Lake Hylia only became accessible after Zora were changed from sea monsters to basically friendly mermaids.

And if we're talking about cohesion of the world and its design, we got TONS of lore and shit, where we hear from NPCs strewn throughout the Light and Dark Worlds. I mean I don't want to diss people, but it sounds like Bosman just didn't like that the story wasn't delivered in a linear way, whereas you have to discover the story yourself here.

Grover

Banned
put me in the camp on people who think TLOU is just ok

and i preordered this well in advance of release

84054463290d7a0a3984z.jpg

a minor but ultimately irrelevant flaw regarding the lack of enemy detection of my AI partner

yea i never understood why people even thought this was a significant flaw in the game

reminds me of people complaining about characters standing there waiting their turns in JRPGs because "its unrealistic"

its like someone complaining that the F.R.I.E.N.D.S show wasn't realistic because it was actually just people acting on a sound stage, there are certain conventions in every form of media that a consumer simply has to has some willing suspension of disbelief or they'll never get through anything

if the people who have a problem with these sort of things would play D&D, i can only image they'd be the type of people to actually think that during battle everyone's characters and the NPCs are all just standing around waiting to take their turns, just because thats what is happening in the real world doesn't mean thats exactly whats happening within the game's universe

no, the enemy didn't see Ellie, because he was glancing over into the hallway because he thought he heard something, if something like this is to hard to come up with to not break immersion for something so simple then you're a lost cause

and this is coming from the last person who wants to defend TLOU

Dremark

Banned
I can't watch the video right now but I'll never understand why Metroid 1 and 2 get dumped on the way they do. Yeah Super Metroid is a classic, etc, I get it, but that doesn't mean that every other game in the series is bad, especially the previous games that set the foundation for it.

I can't watch the video right now but I'll never understand why Metroid 1 and 2 get dumped on the way they do. Yeah Super Metroid is a classic, etc, I get it, but that doesn't mean that every other game in the series is bad, especially the previous games that set the foundation for it.

The guy on the hate side seems jilted against 2, which is unfortunate. He basically decried any contribution because he disliked the overall game. He claimed that it didn't have interesting powers, and yet was the first game to introduce infinite jumping.

Top Bottom