• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamexplain Explains the Joy-Con Desyncing Problem

kunonabi

Man, split joycons were the main reason I'm getting a switch sometime down the line. Very concerning to see these kind of issues when I was already bummed about the lack of built in speakers and wrist straps. Very sloppy from Nintendo if you ak me.

Gleethor

For a firmware update to actually fix this problem, it'll largely depend on how the Joycons work with Bluetooth. If they contain some sort of firmware in order to be registered as unique controllers, it's possible that Nintendo could just increase the controller signal and sacrifice battery life. If the Joycons have a low signal mode for bluetooth when connected to the Switch itself, it might be a software bug where it's stuck in that mode and therefore would have a weak signal.

If it's neither of these two scenarios, it's hardware and we got an oversight.
Hadn't considered the second scenario. The joy-cons definitely use Bluetooth even when physically connected to the Switch?

This sounds super annoying. I wonder if they had a problem with small Japanese testers and this is a problem for over-fed super sized American giants (I'm one of said giants.)?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
While still not totally better it's important to note that this is when he is over 10 feet from the Switch docked. He's not simply next to the Switch and completely obstructing the signal with his hand or body. It's combination of factors. The same kind of bodily obstruction closer to the system won't cause the same effect.

BriGuy

It's like antenna-gate all over again if true. I was probably only going to use the joycons when physically docked to the Switch and a pro controller otherwise, but that still kind of sucks.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Link to a real-world example?

I can't speak to Bluetooth, but for Wifi many I routers have a setting you can go in and boost the signal strength. Allows people to try to get their network where they need it, as well as dial it down if it's an apartment etc. so their SSID isn't showing up for more neighbors etc. to potentially try to hack into than necessary.

Maybe there's some type of OS level setting for blue tooth strength they could mess with, but I kind of doubt it. This seems like a hardware issue they missed/were ok with as they're focused on portables and table top usage over console usage and hope console mode users will by Pro controllers.

Plum

Nintendo needs to swallow their pride and say something about this ASAP. I can't believe they'd allow a problem like this through. The press need to be hammering them with calls and messages.

Good thing I ordered the pro controller, but that is horrendous if the joy con signal strength is that weak.

I've had terrible bluetooth headphones in the past that would cut out in a similar way, but those were random cheap models that cost roughly $15.

I don't think it will affect most people, but if it really is a signal strength issue (like it seems to be), then every joy con is susceptible to those drops.

Really hope they can boost it with firmware.

Alebrije

images

Still amazed Nintendo did not see this coming......

Gleethor

While still not totally better it's important to note that this is when he is over 10 feet from the Switch docked. He's not simply next to the Switch and completely obstructing the signal with his hand or body. It's combination of factors. The same kind of bodily obstruction closer to the system won't cause the same effect.
Ok that is important. Must've missed it in the video but I was under he impression that he was right next to it.

sinonobu

Banned
I saw someone on twitter (called Stealth?) who said that he heard from his source from NOA that this problem will be fixed before Launch.

Is he credible insider?

Now I'm really glad that I'm buying pro controllers instead of joycons.
They need to fix that asap

Yeah, pre-ordering the Pro Controller ended up being the best decision I made regarding this system. I won't be taking my joycons off of the Switch until this is resolved.

Boke1879

Yea this needs to be resolved or at least mentioned by Nintendo.

This could cause major problems once in the hand of consumers. They''ll most likely try to return the thing.

saskuatch

this happens with my blue tooth keyboard too on my pc hooked up to the TV. Doesn't seem to be a big issue standard signal loss.

Memory

Hmmm this doesn't match with my own hands on experience, i have massive hands and pretty much encompassed the Joy-Cons. I'm going to the London hands on event tomorrow so i'll try it again.

Chris R

Well now I don't feel bad about not grabbing a switch until they come out with a revision, preferably without a screen and with no joycons.

GJS

Doesn't the dual shock 4 use blutooth? I'm pretty sure I can play it just fine behind my back if I wanted to.

Will depend entirely on how the bluetooth transmitter is set up.

If the signal is strong enough then the signal degradation won't effect it.
If the signal is being transmitted cleanly in other directions and is strong enough then it can reflect off other surfaces and be unaffected.

The joy con grips seem much more prone to covering lots of the paths the radio waves could take, due to their size and how you hold them, relative to a dual shock.

bomblord1

Banned
I'm more surprised that Nintendo has said nothing.

Like this is a big issue. They should be able to speak to it.

The relevant people at Nintendo may not even be aware of it though which is why I asked.

They obviously wouldn't have sent kits to the press with a serious issue like that on purpose.

NotLiquid

Is it really a signal strength issue though? Moving your hand close to the JoyCon shouldn't affect the connection to the system at all, and yet this video showed just that.

Hopefully this isn't some hardware glitch...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJBAp33tnNE

This video explains it in further detail. Since the JoyCon controllers work through Bluetooth, the high frequency radio waves get absorbed by water, which there's a lot of in our bodies. If you have a strong enough signal it makes it a non-issue but it seems like the JoyCon controllers don't.

How were people able to play ARMS tho?

Good question. That seems to be the prime example of a game where things like latency would be most evident, and yet most people had nothing but praise about it's playability.

For a firmware update to actually fix this problem, it'll largely depend on how the Joycons work with Bluetooth. If they contain some sort of firmware in order to be registered as unique controllers, it's possible that Nintendo could just update it to increase the controller signal and sacrifice battery life. If the Joycons have a low signal mode for bluetooth when connected to the Switch itself, it might be a software bug where it's stuck in that mode and therefore would have a weak signal.

If it's neither of these two scenarios, it's hardware and we got an oversight.

The second scenario would be one hell of a fascinating thing for sure. I'm still curious how the JoyCon work when they're actually connected to the Switch.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Ok that is important. Must've missed it in the video but I was under he impression that he was right next to it.

He only says it in passing halfway through. https://youtu.be/SbG3F9RwlcY?t=189

Certainly a potential issue for some since many people have setups or living rooms where they'll be that distance or more from the TV/Switch but this isn't simply a put your hand in front of it and disrupt the signal no matter how close or far you are kind of thing.

Wow, thats bad.

I wonder if its a hardware issue.........

THAT would be worst case scenario.

If it's hardware, Nintendo better be making Joy-Con rev2 and replacing day-one adopters' joycons.

I may hold off on taking my Switch out of the box and just grab a copy of Zelda for the Wii U depending on how reports go once the Switch is in the wild...

MarkusRJR

OP needs to add in the Blunty video and the video of Zelda where the issue happened (in the other thread).

As someone who has a fully paid off pre-order, if these issues aren't fixed over updates I'm going to be so annoyed. I wanna play ARMS but that game literally has you grasping the entire controller. Don't even wanna imagine how awful it'd be to have signal Issues in the middle of a fight.

Rezbit

We really need more data! Tests from people who have reported no initial problems ideally. That should show if you can easily replicate the issue.

The relevant people at Nintendo may not even be aware of it though which is why I asked.

They obviously wouldn't have sent kits to the press with a serious issue like that on purpose.

Obviously not on purpose, but there's no way Nintendo DOESN'T know about this problem with the press caught it in the first day or so.

ItIsOkBro

that's definitely a problem. i use dualshock3 on PC, and sometimes i forgot to turn it off before unplugging. and it turns on my ps3 on another floor dozens of feet away. a signal should not be so easily disrupted.

Top Bottom