• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamexplain Explains the Joy-Con Desyncing Problem

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Not every media outlet is reporting this so I wonder how widespread the issue will be at launch

Are they? Because the joycons still work in the airplane mode when attached.
Just to reiterate this the controllers are effectively a wired connection on the switch rails. The dev docks also support this (they specifically call it a wired connection)

sirap

jWXHxcF.png

Weird. It's gotten worst for Dan.

Talax

If the joycons are attached to the tablet does the issue still happen or not? Because that's how I'll be using it in handheld mode while a pro controller in console mode.

Hinchy

This is freaking me out. I already paid off my Switch with Amazon gift card so there's no unspending that money. I wish we'd hear anything.

Lutherian

This is freaking me out. I already paid off my Switch with Amazon gift card so there's no unspending that money. I wish we'd hear anything.

Be very affraid, Nintendo just announced that they will never fix this issue. NEVER. Because, you see, Nintendo don't give a damn. They'll laught at you.

Please, check everything I just said here before going nuts.

UberTag

If the joycons are attached to the tablet does the issue still happen or not? Because that's how I'll be using it in handheld mode while a pro controller in console mode.
Ok. Thanks!!! Hopefully Nintendo resolves this as it might be an issue for other people.
You're good to go if that's how you plan to play... although you'll still need to be mindful of this issue with Joy-Con tailored games like ARMS and 1-2-Switch until this issue is resolved.

DVCY201

Kinda weird that there's no official response from Nintendo, not even a "we're looking into it". The radio silence is concerning

To me, the baffling thing is just trying to figure out how this was never caught. It's clear now this was a design flaw and not an isolated issue, did they really never test this? Did someone catch it and someone who was looking at numbers and schedules dismiss them? What did they think would happen when the controllers got out there?

Here's a fun worst case scenario for you all: what if Nintendo can't fix this with a firmware update? There has been no conclusive proof that such a thing is likely, or even possible. What if the solution is a new joycon? Of threads on GAF titled "New NX-00102 left joycon model up on Amazon - this is the fixed one"?

I don't think that's impossible.

UberTag

Kinda weird that there's no official response from Nintendo, not even a "we're looking into it". The radio silence is concerning
Thing is we HAVE received a "we're looking into it" from Nintendo. It's just being communicated through the media that highlighted this issue in the first place.

UberTag

To me, the baffling thing is just trying to figure out how this was never caught. It's clear now this was a design flaw and not an isolated issue, did they really never test this? Did someone catch it and someone who was looking at numbers and schedules dismiss them? What did they think would happen when the controllers got out there?

Here's a fun worst case scenario for you all: what if Nintendo can't fix this with a firmware update? There has been no conclusive proof that such a thing is likely, or even possible. What if the solution is a new joycon? Of threads on GAF titled "New NX-00102 left joycon model up on Amazon - this is the fixed one"?

I don't think that's impossible.
That's how Sony addressed the shredded Dual Shock 4 controller stick issue. No reason to expect this would be any different.

Didn't they say via Totilo that they were investigating it? Not much more you can really say than that.

They responded with a non-committal acknowledgement that something, somewhere, may have happened, and they will look into whether it has happened, what they will do if it happened, and what they will tell people about said happening at a later date that will be decided by them.

They didn't say that via Totilo, Totilo pestered them until they gave him that answer.

They're handling this badly.

DVCY201

They haven't made a PUBLIC "we're looking into it" but they've already responded to Kotaku and USGamer about investigating the situation.

Thing is we HAVE received a "we're looking into it" from Nintendo. It's just being communicated through the media that highlighted this issue in the first place.

Oh ok, I haven't heard anything (obviously). Hope they get to the bottom of this soon though!

They said they're looking into it. That's all people wanted to hear. Just sit back and wait....

They responded with a non-committal acknowledgement that something, somewhere, may have happened, and they will look into whether it has happened, what they will do if it happened, and what they will tell people about said happening at a later date that will be decided by them.

They didn't say that via Totilo, Totilo pestered them until they gave him that answer.

They're handling this badly.

They said they're looking into it. You keep trying to make something bigger out of it. They're looking at it. Relax and calm down already.

Bluth54

A bad batch? These have to be the end product. It's not like they're sending out unfinished models to press or pre-consumer models. As someone who spent the ridiculous amount on an extra set of Joy-cons and a charge grip (Even with the Visa checkout offer) I'll be pretty pissed off if this is a consistent issue. I'm not going to just go "oh well, I'll just spend an extra $70 for a Pro controller" either because that's absolutely ridiculous. Hopefully they push a firmware update that fixes the issue prior to launch, or I'll likely cancel my extra peripheral orders, and then later demand my Joy-cons that came with my system are replaced. I doubt they would though. How does something like this get through Q/A I wonder.

Yeah hopefully it can just be fixed by a firmware update. If it's an actual hardware issue a lot of Switches are likely going to be affected since Nintendo has probably sent out a few hundred Switches and multiple journalists have reported the issue.

But what more can be said? They're working over-time on it to avoid negative press during launch, so I hope they're fast enough.

Working overtime on what? What is their gameplan?

Has the price of the Switch essentially been raised $50 since you need either a new joycon or a pro controller? Is it a day zero patch? Will it have to be recertified by the FCC?

If they don't know, that makes them look blindingly incompetent. If they do know, it makes their marketing look blindingly incompetent.

Neither is a good look.

Why was this issue never seen in the demo units press played before during previous reveals?

Likely different scenarios.

When you take a Switch home, you probably put it at an entertainment center, sit on a couch or chair 7-8 feet away, maybe angle the controller while you play Zelda.

At demo events, the Switch is front and center, you're sitting close to it, it is in a position that it won't be in an actual household unless you have some kind of altar to it in your living room (which, in fairness, for some people here, that's not incredibly unlikely.)

Demo events are also likely more sensitive to bluetooth interference and test the ideal spacing when designing the event. Putting a switch next to your 15 other bluetooth devices and your joycons between your fitbit and your phone might be causing more issues an event might not have to worry about.

Demo events are also likely more sensitive to bluetooth interference and test the ideal spacing when designing the event. Putting a switch next to your 15 other bluetooth devices and your joycons between your fitbit and your phone might be causing more issues an event might not have to worry about.

I don't quite buy that, i would say there is a lot more unpredictable interference at an event in a big public hall than their is in your living room. With hundreds of other switches, 10's of thousands of fans all with other devices - laptops, tablets, smart phones, watches, 3ds's, it kind of like the ideal stress test on machines. Also the switch would have been stress tested in the ideal family home (set up based on averages).

I wondering if the simple answer is , is that reviews units haven't been updated to 1.01, whereas the demo units have. These review units probably have been sat in warehouses for a couple of months.

Pandy

Is the real problem you have with this is that it makes the Switch look bad and not that it's an actual issue?
Am I missing something in the 30 pages of the thread?

It's a simple line-of-sight issue, which could possibly be remedied remotely by Nintendo adjusting the signal (they probably shot low to preserve battery in the joy-cons), but can also be remedied by the user rearranging their gaming set-up to make the Switch more central.

If the room for error is too small then I hope Nintendo can boost/broaden the signal a bit so that it's harder to trigger the problem, but I'd put this in the same category of problem as the Kinect not working because people had their coffee table in the way, or the Wii-mote pointer going crazy because people had lights near the sensor bar that also triggered the IR camera. It's a bit of a pain in the arse that your gaming area doesn't fit the product, but not an 'issue' that would force a product recall. I haven't seen the Switch user manual yet to know if it specifies recommended distances from the Switch.

Disclaimer: I'm going by the actual video in the OP. If something else has come to light since then I'm unaware of it.

mindsale

I'm shocked there's been nothing but an acknowledgment of this by now. This morning I was convinced they'd handwave a new filing to increase the Bluetooth signal strength or something. Still silent running.

Cob32

It's a simple line-of-sight issue, which could possibly be remedied remotely by Nintendo adjusting the signal (they probably shot low to preserve battery in the joy-cons), but can also be remedied by the user rearranging their gaming set-up to make the Switch more central.

If the room for error is too small then I hope Nintendo can boost/broaden the signal a bit so that it's harder to trigger the problem, but I'd put this in the same category of problem as the Kinect not working because people had their coffee table in the way, or the Wii-mote pointer going crazy because people had lights near the sensor bar that also triggered the IR camera. It's a bit of a pain in the arse that your gaming area doesn't fit the product, but not an 'issue' that would force a product recall. I haven't seen the Switch user manual yet to know if it specifies recommended distances from the Switch.

Disclaimer: I'm going by the actual video in the OP. If something else has come to light since then I'm unaware of it.

There was a video of a guy playing Zelda holding the joycon normally and infront of him with line of sight and had a delay issue. I'm trying to find it.

Edit: found it. Watch from 16minshttps://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&t=1004&v=O6w536jv1g8

Has the price of the Switch essentially been raised $50 since you need either a new joycon or a pro controller? Is it a day zero patch? Will it have to be recertified by the FCC?

If they don't know, that makes them look blindingly incompetent. If they do know, it makes their marketing look blindingly incompetent.

Neither is a good look.

You expect them to turn all of that around in a day if previously they haven't seen the problem? Pretty obvious you write about IT and haven't worked in it. If they don't know, anything they say other than we're investigating is essentially nonsense.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
I'm shocked there's been nothing but an acknowledgment of this by now. This morning I was convinced they'd handwave a new filing to increase the Bluetooth signal strength or something. Still silent running.

Yup, they are letting this story get ahead of them which tells me the issue could be worse than a simple firmware update.

Hoo-doo

Banned

It can possibly be remedied. Key word here is 'possibly'. We don't know whether it will or can be remedied with software.
Maybe they'll just update the next production batch of units which fixes the issue, but then the launch-day crowd will still get shafted.

Also, expecting the user to rearrange his set-up and sit <6ft from his/her TV because Nintendo fucked up an industry standard dating back to 2005 is ridiculous.
It's simply a wireless controller and we've been using them for over a decade now without any real problems. With Kinect you at least expect to make room to play around in and with the Wii-mote there's actual camera and motion tracking tech to contend with.

But this? This is just a wireless controller. There's really no excuse for fucking this up. So if this issue actually sticks around until after launch, it's not going to be pretty.

DVCY201

Well, no matter what happens, Nintendo is taking some serious bad press from this. It's a shame that they've bungled the premiere of their new console this badly. Even if I'm excited for it.

Yup, they are letting this story get ahead of them which tells me the issue could be worse than a simple firmware update.

I think you might be reading too much into it. It is very plausible that Nintendo are denying it's an issue before fixing it in a firmware update or in the worse case scenario, updated future hardware. This is the standard industry approach to these things with hardware.

For example, Sony never once acknowledged the ejecting disc issues before launch, or over heating, or blue light of death until after launch, only issuing statements afterwards - think Sony released a statement a few days after launch regarding the blue light of death.

As others have pointed out above - Nintendo don't want to make it an issue if it is only a minor issue - there are thousands of review units out there (just a guess, but considering it is shipping world wide, everyone from gaming press to national newspapers , tv shows, tech mags, lifestyle mags etc etc will have units) and if only a handful of people are reporting it than it may not be a big issue (not saying it isn't). We don't really know the full extent of how bad it is until units are out in the open, updated with the day one patch.

At the moment they are very much isolated incidents, sadly a couple of people have had it quite bad, one person says it doesn't work in one environment , but works fine in another, some outlets saying they come across 2-3 times within about 20 hours, and some reporting they never had the problem.

Pandy

There was a video of a guy playing Zelda holding the joycon normally and infront of him with line of sight and had a delay issue. I'm trying to find it.

Edit: found it. Watch from 16minshttps://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&t=1004&v=O6w536jv1g8
Vertical video. Yuck. It was a better illustration of their set-up than the GameXplain video though.

If that was indeed the Switch in front of the TV screen then,
A: That's a really silly place to put it under any circumstances. And,
B: That must be a really weak signal coming out of the joy-cons.

I feel a Switch launch thread coming on where we take pictures of our set-ups, describe all our wireless devices, and find out where the obvious common factors are to trigger joy-con failure.

On a not unrelated topic: This week I rejigged my gaming cabinet to make room for the Switch and the new position of the WiiU means I can no longer use the gamepad while in the bathroom. I can now use it while lying in bed, however, so it's probably a good trade-off.

It can possibly be remedied. Key word here is 'possibly'. We don't know whether it will or can be remedied with software.
Maybe they'll just update the next production batch of units which fixes the issue, but then the launch-day crowd will still get shafted.

Also, expecting the user to rearrange his set-up and sit <6ft from his/her TV because Nintendo fucked up an industry standard dating back to 2005 is ridiculous.
It's simply a wireless controller and we've been using them for over a decade now without any real problems. With Kinect you at least expect to make room to play around in and with the Wii-mote there's actual camera and motion tracking tech to contend with.

But this? This is just a wireless controller. There's really no excuse for fucking this up. So if this issue actually sticks around until after launch, it's not going to be pretty.
With Kinect I wasn't referring to play space for jumping around in, I was referring to bits of furniture confusing the camera even if you had the required space. I've never had the chance to use one yet, but I believe Kinect 2.0 was much better at this.

Turrican3

I don't get this.

If we assume the JoyCon issue took them by surprise (I really can't believe they knew about it and somehow hoped people/media wouldn't experience it, but that's just me) then I don't think they can say anything other than "we're looking into it".

I mean, how can you state anything else without isolating the origin of the issue in the first place?

I don't get this.

If we assume the JoyCon issue took them by surprise (I really can't believe they knew about it and somehow hoped people/media wouldn't experience it, but that's just me) then I don't think they can say anything other than "we're looking into it".

I mean, how can you state anything else without isolating the origin of the issue in the first place?

Ignore him. Touts himself as a journalist but comes on forums spouting hyberbolic bollocks. Nothing to see here.

Why was this issue never seen in the demo units press played before during previous reveals?
The issue was indeed present in demo units. Back to the show events that followed the January reveal, noticed myself in multiple videos where a Joycon desynchronized playing 1 2 Switch, this was easy to notice because the game puts up a prompt saying the controller is "turn off?" i think.

In my case i chose not to comment about it because i assumed that it could be wireless interference, as to be expected in an area packed with Switch units close to each other and hundreds of people bringing wireless devices themselves. Also because criticism is not welcomed in "hype" threads. As for the press, don't know if they notcied in the first place back then.

It is a serious issue not doubt about it, however is not something that i can see scaping QC. Hopefully is not a MS 360 launch scenario were units with a serious defect were put out to market anyways. Nintendo gets the benefit of the doubt in this case because they take control responsiveness very seriously.

The other thing i wanted to add is that i' ve never seen a Bluetooth enabled device having it's signal blocked by human flesh/bones. It's quite surprising to see been the case. What's indeniable is that thing got interesting even more for the launch of this device, although in this case not in a good way sadly.

Top Bottom