• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamexplain Explains the Joy-Con Desyncing Problem

So I was listening to the waypoint podcast (great podcast about zelda and horizon btw), and at 48 minutes Patrick Klepek, I believe, said that his sources commented on the devkits not having these Joy-con problems. Does that point moreso towards a Hardware issue?

Sounds more like a software bug to me. Probably not much of a difference between how the dev kits and retail units are manufactured.

Noitshado

The Switch requires your undivided attention, up close and intimate or Switchie will lose interest and ignore your input. Nice that they included a dating sim game into the hardware itself. No one told me there was a pack-in game.

/S

Giantbomb is one of the few remaining respectable sites.

insta98126.gif

Jeff also explained how he dropped the damn thing on a concrete floor and the joycon fell off, since then it felt loose and was easily detached.

Please keep this in mind when worrying about "LatchGate".

THERE'S GOT TO BE A BETTER WAY!

Someone slow down and black and white this .gif. :lol

Do you find that keeping controllers on your shiny new game console is just TOO HARD? Well, try the new ShamTendo Oxy-Epoxy Solution! It can plug a boat, or glue a surgical wound!

M_A_C

The Switch requires your undivided attention, up close and intimate or Switchie will lose interest and ignore your input. Nice that they included a dating sim game into the hardware itself. No one told me there was a pack-in game.

/S

lol

Seriously tho, for $300 it would be nice to have some official word that his can and will be fixed, or it's a "feature".

I saw a video a little while ago where the guy basically states that the controllers aren't leaving the low powered mode that is used when the cons are connected to the unit for handheld mode. Is there any concensus on this theory from the gaffers?

I saw a video a little while ago where the guy basically states that the controllers aren't leaving the low powered mode that is used when the cons are connected to the unit for handheld mode. Is there any concensus on this theory from the gaffers?

no one knows yet and I doubt he truely does either, it was bought up yesterday as a theory.

I've seen a few folks around here theorize that as well. That would make sense, as the disconnection problems haven't really been reported until lately. I think it's likely that a recent software update somehow got the Joycons stuck in "attached" mode.

Nothing confirms this, but I feel it is a likely theory..at least I hope it is because that should be easy for Nintendo to fix.

Well, one way or another we'll find out by Wednesday if there's a solution or not. That's when Switch reviews go up, right? Journalists are going to be asking, "Hey, do we review this thing taking this flaw into account or is there a patch incoming?"

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Oh, this thread is back on topic? I guess I will post this here too, then:

More reports about this problem, this time from Europe (Belgium to be more precise):

https://twitter.com/Phazon4G/status/835627915010244608

Phazon@4Gamers.be said:
Tested all my joy cons with the Switch calibration. The ones that came with neon switch are indeed laggy or lose their signal.

the black ones, that came separately, work perfectly fine, even from the other side of my living room (10 metres away)

looks like there's something wrong with the joy cons that come with the console

Vitacat

Has Nintendo said anything about this yet?
Not publically.

At this point, I'm not worrying at all. For all we know, people get their launch Switches and the day one update fixes the disconnect issue. As for the latch thing, there doesn't appear to be solid evidence of a problem. Had multiple press sources reported a problem with joycons slipping off too easily, then I'd be concerned. But one guy who dropped his unit onto concrete? No.

Now, if it turns out that thousands of people are having disconnects (or loose latches) after launch then we have a problem to worry about, and I'm sure Nintendo will fix it. But right now, I'm in wait and see mode.

What I do know, is that BOTW's first review leaked, and it got a 10/10 from Edge.

lenovox1

Oh, this thread is back on topic? I guess I will post this here too, then:

More reports about this problem, this time from Europe (Belgium to be more precise):

https://twitter.com/Phazon4G/status/835627915010244608

The Joy-Cons likely have their own firmware, and Joy-Cons that come with the system are likely on older firmware.

Or at least that's what Nintendo and launch Switch owners better hope.

noooo goddamnit. If my neon won't work probably Imma be mad.

Grey review units were having the same problems.

And some Neon review units weren't having any problems.

noooo goddamnit. If my neon won't work probably Imma be mad.

GameXplain tested it with grey ones, so it's not really about color. The real distinction the twitter user was making was the ones that work were bought separately from the console. I personally don't think there's too much there but

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The Joy-Cons likely have their own firmware, and Joy-Cons that come with the system are likely on older firmware.

Or at least that's what Nintendo and launch Switch owners better hope.

Leads me to believe it's a bad batch of joy-cons, and a hardware issue at that. Hopefully doesn't affect a large percentage of shipped units.

Yeah, it could be either of these.

It would be funny if Nintendo has somehow gone cheap on the bundled joycons (to save the costs of the console) and it will end up costing them much more.

Like with the 3ds screens I wonder if the joycons have two different wireless chip brands spread between them depending on stock availability?

Protome

Giantbomb also did an awful job previewing the psvr, from having way too many lights in the studio, from sitting kilometers away from the TV.

They are good for laughs and Gif material at best.

This is a joke post, right?
It's hard to tell these days.

If it isn't, GB turned the lights out during the PSVR coverage and also were really close to their TV for most of it. They also weren't the only people who reported PSVR's drift issues before or after launch.

If it's just the JoyCons bundled with the console that are bad, I'm not too worried. That means the solution is just Nintendo having to give people replacements.

At least it doesn't seem like an inherent design problem a la AntennaGate

RoadHazard

Gold Member
If it's just the JoyCons bundled with the console that are bad, I'm not too worried. That means the solution is just Nintendo having to give people replacements.

At least it doesn't seem like an inherent design problem a la AntennaGate

That still sucks. Am I supposed to be happy about not being able to play Zelda as I wait for Nintendo to fix their shit? No. Not acceptable.

Vitacat

That still sucks. Am I supposed to be happy about not being able to play Zelda as I wait for Nintendo to fix their shit? No. Not acceptable.
First of all, no one said anyone should happy if there is an issue. But if there is, then you know very well the shitstorm that will follow, and Nintendo WILL fix it because they will have no choice.

SGRU

Is there already a consensus in cancelling pre-orders or buying day one?

I have mine pre-ordered months ago and I even have two days off work for playing Zelda until I burn my retinas but I'm kind of worried with an eventual hardware failure...

Jofamo

Crossposting in this thread to get some more eyes on this, seeing as everyone was losing their minds over the issue.

Nick Robinson, from Polygon, posted the following tweets yesterday;

https://twitter.com/Babylonian/status/836639901806280704
here's @RussFrushtick demonstrating how your mileage may vary when it comes to the Switch's left Joy-Con desync issue

https://twitter.com/Babylonian/status/836640544704978944
(in case it's not clear: he's super far away and it's working perfectly! but that hasn't been everyone's experience, obvs)

The guy in the video is clearly about >20 feet away from the console, separated by a glass partition, and the JoyCon functions perfectly.

So what are we looking at here? A faulty batch of Switch consoles sent to reviewers, while others are fine? Or perhaps their Switch has already received the Day One update and things are now looking better (Console reviews are due to go out today, so it'd make sense for reviewers to have the update now)?

EDIT: For further clarity;

https://twitter.com/MasterOfLag/status/836646069970825216
https://twitter.com/Babylonian/status/836646323713515520

Gus Chicas‏ @MasterOfLag 16h16 hours ago
More
@Babylonian @BriHardGaming @RussFrushtick he didn't hold it with both hands covering the signal
Nick Robinson‏Verified account @Babylonian 16h16 hours ago
More
@MasterOfLag @BriHardGaming @RussFrushtick we did exactly that: behind the back, through a hand, behind a laptop. all worked fine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Because somebody doesn't have the issue doesn't mean the issue doesn't exist.

Also, was that a joycon that came with the console or an additional one?

This is a huge relief. But maybe we should wait until a couple more people have chimed in on it to say it does before we start a new topic (it deserves one if true)

Top Bottom