• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamexplain interview Suda51 about Travis Strikes Again (gameplay, indies, more)

Drain You

Mondo Zappa wouldn't even qualify.

I know, but I was just thinking about the way he controls/attacks, plus I just liked his character a lot. Was he generally disliked or something? I never really hear Killer is Dead talked about much so I'm out of the loop.

I know, but I was just thinking about the way he controls/attacks, plus I just liked his character a lot. Was he generally disliked or something? I never really hear Killer is Dead talked about much so I'm out of the loop.

I was simply talking how Smash characters have to actually appear in a game on a Nintendo system.

Of course Sumio Mondo form Flower, Sun and Rain would count.

8-Travis.png

Nachos

smaller than NMH2 but is now a HD title, he must really have faith in his team
Grasshopper's really experienced with Unreal. I don't know anything about game development, but I could see the Unreal 4 making it easier to get HD games out, especially ones of this scope.

Kind of a shame its not a sequel to 2 considering how much more fleshed out and polished that was over 1.
It's fully possible for them to take all the improvements on the gameplay without directly referencing 2.

kunonabi

Grasshopper's really experienced with Unreal. I don't know anything about game development, but I could see the Unreal 4 making it easier to get HD games out, especially ones of this scope.

It's fully possible for them to take all the improvements on the gameplay without directly referencing 2.

eh, 2's "improvements" were more downgrades than anything else.

Removing the open world and making the oddjobs into 8-bit minigames was a great step up. The bosses weren't as memorable (lots of retreads, like New Destroyman and Letz Shake) and the OST wasn't as good (it was still great), but it was still really fun.

jmizzal

Fantastic interview

This game is gonna be amazing, and it was inspired by eXistenZ, I love that movie

The game may be further along too, might come before Fall

Nice to know the indie stuff isn't as huge a factor as it sounded originally. Still, not liking the sound of the single joycon but I guess it will depend on how the motion controls turn out.

I don't give a shit about Travis in Smash if it isn't Downes.

I doubt single Joy con will be forced on you, I dont think they will make you use one joy con all the time, when its undocked you then will never be able to play the game as a hand held you would be forced to kick stand the screen and play it.

Alastor3

Suda is really a fucking international treasure. Love him so much. I should really buy that visual novel The Silver Case.

It's weird how the game was announced, but if it's just a NMH game and the indie collabs are smaller things rather than the whole premise, like Suda is saying, then that sounds great.

Combat was made more fluid, and the multiple beam katanas allowed you to switch up styles which DEFINITELY helped in some levels and depending on the enemy type. Not to mention the 2D minigames were much better than the random clunky 3D ones from the first game.

A single joy-con would be perfectly fine for No More Heroes.

SL and SR are lock-on/block and reset camera/switch targets like before.

Take away the high/low Beat (physical) attack stance distinction. It's not really necessary. Make it a single face button where it used to be two.

Keep the high/low Slashes as two face buttons. You can rename to fast and strong since that's what they essentially were.

Have the remaining face button act as the rolling dodge now. Simply hold it and move the joystick to dodge like Kingdom Hearts.

For ecstasy (special) attacks that use to be activated by the minus button have it be both slashes pressed at once.

For charging the beam katana have it be beat attack and one of the slashes. Or just make it so you have to shake the control really hard to start charging.

Remember Suda originally wanted the original No More Heroes to only be controlled by the Wii Remote alone.

squall23

The only thing I could want in a new NMH game is more wrestling moves. Give us an Atomic Buster or a King wrestling combo.

i straight up want this just for the amiibo

I don't even really understand amiibo but yea i'd buy it.

right?! i just need a physical representation of travis in my room to stroke & say MOEEE

What about Sylvia?

tumblr_lk8cv7ixkV1qzp9weo1_1280.jpg

I'm a huge No More Heroes fan so I of course I had to get the PVC statue/figure.

18j26njnegq78jpg.jpg

At $100 it beats my second most expensive figure purchase the $60 Portrait of Pirates Sanji figure that's my Avatar.

The joy con being a little smaller than the Wii remote was hilarious. And Suda brought it up again that making Travis playable with one joy con would help him get in Smash.

If Travis gets in Smash Nintendo needs to let Suda do the Direct and introduce Travis himself.

watershed

Banned
I'm a bit worried about one of the main features of the game being that it is playable on 1 joycon. I hope it does spell bad news for the controls. I hope that's like an alternative control option.

I'm a bit worried about one of the main features of the game being that it is playable on 1 joycon. I hope it does spell bad news for the controls. I hope that's like an alternative control option.
It's around the ballpark of functionality as the wiimote nunchuck scheme from the first game. That said I'm sure it'll be one of several options.

Clov

I feel like it has to be, otherwise portable mode would be pretty awkward.

LordKano

It's obviously an alternative control option.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Even though I still really like a lot of Grasshopper's post NMH output (Shadows of the Damned is a great game goddamnit), I like most of what I'm hearing. Suda and co have a tendency to talk shit about ideas that don't always fully eventuate how they might sound in your head, so I'm not worried about the whole single-Switch-pad-controls thing. Especially since NMH is hardly a complex game and in practice could be mapped pretty comfortably to to a single pad. I'm sure the option of two pads will be there, I just hope they retain the motion input wrestling moves and slices as per the original.

Mainly I just like that Suda wants to teeter the company back to its low budget roots. Their most unique output came from this period and I'm hoping to see the essence of the original NMH reflected in NMH3.

Little bit bummed about the collaborations possibly being tied to aesthetics and whatever, but who knows. Honestly sounds like the game is super early and they're not even entirely sure what they want to do.

Ein Bear

Great interview, I'm really excited for this. Never thought NMH would return. I especially like how open Suda is about wanting to leave things open for plenty more games in the series and making Travis a well known character in gaming. You can tell he's really excited about the game.

I think I might re-play NMH2. I've played through the first game loads of times, but the final boss in 2 soured me on the game so much that I've never re-visited it and it kind of tarnished my memory of the whole thing. I can't really remember much about the rest of the game.

TheMoon

I feel like it has to be, otherwise portable mode would be pretty awkward.

All it means it will be playable without relying on free camera control at all times. Which the other games also did not have.

single joycon means:

Left stick + ABXY + start button + SL/SR

basically a SNES game minus the select button plus motion.

NMH isn't a complex game that requires a lot of buttons.

It's obviously an alternate way of playing... just like you can play ARMS with a single controller.

Twookie

The part about having the game be playable with only one JoyCon is weird to me. They're not really comfortable on their own even with the strap(for me atleast) and you get way less inputs to use. I hope it doesn't get too limiting when designing the game.

NotLiquid

- The collaboration with the indies aren't necessarily about the levels themselves (he was answering about if there was going to be a Shovel Knight level in the game) or the gameplay. What they wanted to show was that Travis is a hardcore gamer. So Travis won't necessarily play these indie games or fight the characters, but Travis will have different t-shirts featuring these games for example and Shovel Knight is one of them. However plans aren't concrete and there may be instances where Travis interact with the indie games, like Hotline Miami.
I would exercise caution with how people read into this comment - a way to interpret this is the that we'll have collaborations with games beyond just the "6 games", so we'll probably get a lot more games than that referenced in TSA that will just be included as mere easter eggs while some like Hotline Miami will obviously get "main billing". That doesn't mean all levels won't be based on actual games. This makes Suda's comment about still wanting more indies to reach out to him make sense.

I'd be kinda shocked if Shovel Knight doesn't get an actual level. But admittedly if all six worlds aren't indie crossovers, I'm expecting a Let It Die world all the more, and I'm still holding hope for that Danganronpa crossover.

Hype restored. If each game world is wholly original instead of using existing indie games like people thought, that will be way cooler.

We already know there are six indie worlds. What Suda is saying is there will be indie representations and references beyond fully featured worlds.

TheMoon

The part about having the game be playable with only one JoyCon is weird to me. They're not really comfortable on their own even with the strap(for me atleast) and you get way less inputs to use. I hope it doesn't get too limiting when designing the game.

Have you played No More Heroes before?

All it means it will be playable without relying on free camera control at all times. Which the other games also did not have.

single joycon means:

Left stick + ABXY + start button + SL/SR

basically a SNES game minus the select button plus motion.

In NMH you had a left stick, Z, C, A, B and some d-pad directions only ever used for quick selects.

1 joycon: 6 buttons + 1 (plus button) + 1 click left stick
Wii Remote & Nunchuk: 6 buttons + 2 (plus and minus) + d-pad

what are we losing? nothing really. stop worrying.

edit:

look at this
no more heroes

no more heroes 2 wii remote

no more heroes 2 classic controller

We already know there are six indie worlds. What Suda is saying is there will be indie presentations and references beyond fully featured worlds.

This. The six worlds are there. There will be six indie worlds for Travis, but you'll probably see Travis wearing a Shovel Knight shirt or Yooka Laylee shirt, even though neither of them will be part of the six indie worlds.

Chessr

If Travis finally appear in smash i would seriously Think About master the game max.
He is my alltime favourite character in any video game

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
can ya imagine online multiplayer with beam swords and shit? I would play nothing else for months

LordKano

I would exercise caution with how people read into this comment - a way to interpret this is the that we'll have collaborations with games beyond just the "6 games", so we'll probably get a lot more games than that referenced in TSA that will just be included as mere easter eggs while some like Hotline Miami will obviously get "main billing". That doesn't mean all levels won't be based on actual games. This makes Suda's comment about still wanting more indies to reach out to him make sense.

I'd be kinda shocked if Shovel Knight doesn't get an actual level. But admittedly if all six worlds aren't indie crossovers, I'm expecting a Let It Die world all the more, and I'm still holding hope for that Danganronpa crossover.

We already know there are six indie worlds. What Suda is saying is there will be indie representations and references beyond fully featured worlds.

This. The six worlds are there. There will be six indie worlds for Travis, but you'll probably see Travis wearing a Shovel Knight shirt or Yooka Laylee shirt, even though neither of them will be part of the six indie worlds.

I don't know about that. From what Suda said, it seems like the core game will be only original content and unrelated to indies, and the collaborations will give more of a core-gamer aesthetic to Travis. I don't think there will be indie worlds.

Top Bottom