• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamexplain interview Suda51 about Travis Strikes Again (gameplay, indies, more)

I just want more NMH. I also really want to know what's been happening with the other characters.

But either way no matter if it's just indie cameos or actual worlds based on indie games, I'm still in 100 percent.

But they should at least give Travis a little Shantae figure in his home.
What about Sylvia?

tumblr_lk8cv7ixkV1qzp9weo1_1280.jpg

I'm a huge No More Heroes fan so I of course I had to get the PVC statue/figure.

18j26njnegq78jpg.jpg

At $100 it beats my second most expensive figure purchase the $60 Portrait of Pirates Sanji figure that's my Avatar.
....well that's one thing that will never enter my house. Good thing they don't sell it anymore!

....right?

TheMoon

Good interview. Disappointed the indie crossover doesn't seem as deep as I expected tho

We should maybe want and see what all of this actually means in reality. I feel the whole thing is way too vague right now. All I know for sure is we'll be slicing dudes with a beam katana right now.

TheMoon

What does one Joy-Con have to do with smash bros? Maybe they are making a new one and Sakurai made a bet with him.

good point actually lol. nobody seems to have asked this yet. you could be playing this with a fuggin steel battalion controller and they could put it in smash no problem. XD

Speely

Banned
I love Suda so much. This is an awesome direction to take NMH, imo. Realistic goals means we actually get another NMH game, and setting up a new direction for the series means we will prolly get more.

Hype.

The Hermit

Damn

Before it was first unveiled, when all we knew was through that short video last year, I actually dreamed that I played it with regular controls and was getting my ass kicked.

Then I switched to joycon/motion mode and slashed my way to the victory.

It was such a sweet dream,but when I woke up I got sad because I never expected happen.

When he was at February presentation and showed a pic of Travis, I yelled.
I still can't believe we will have a new NMH.

NotLiquid

I don't know about that. From what Suda said, it seems like the core game will be only original content and unrelated to indies, and the collaborations will give more of a core-gamer aesthetic to Travis. I don't think there will be indie worlds.

It's implied strongly in the interview that Travis will be heavily interacting with Hotline Miami, and coupled with Suda's aforementioned desire of using video game characters like Monokuma as a boss, it seems to me as if he wants to incorporate, or that there's going to be at least one level based on an actual game. Right now he's still being way too vague about the game and is repeating a lot of his statements with the caveat of "no concrete plans yet".

LordKano

It's implied strongly in the interview that Travis will be heavily interacting with Hotline Miami, and coupled with Suda's aforementioned desire of using video game characters like Monokuma as a boss, it seems to me as if he wants to incorporate, or that there's going to be at least one level based on an actual game. Right now he's still being way too vague about the game and is repeating a lot of his statements with the caveat of "no concrete plans yet".

I don't see where it's implied that Travis will be interacting with Hotline Miami in any other way than just through cameos, to show how he's a hardcore gamer.

LordKano

Another interview from Gameinformer that gives more info on the kind of games Travis will explore :
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

One thing that was surprising in the reveal during the Nindies video was that it doesn't seem like it's traditional No More Heroes gameplay. The focus is more on the retro games. Can you explain further how the gameplay works?

The No More Heroes franchise has typically been that Travis is an assassin and he's fighting other assassins. It's kind of like a fun slash 'em up kind of game. There will be parts like that in this game as well, but this new game is focusing mainly on Travis going further inside the [retro game system]. Inside the game, there are going to be six different games that Travis can enter into. As you said, they're kind of like retro style games. Each of those kind of retro style games has its own set of rules and I wanted to focus on how Travis would interact with the individual rules and the individual vibe from each game. So this time, the gameplay is going to be based on those six individual games and how Travis fights through those, and how he's able to get through them.

Can you discuss what kinds of retro games you'll be exploring in this?

We're still trying to keep it wrapped up with regards to what kinds of games will be in the game. One thing I can say is that there's going to be a game console called the Death Drive MK-II, and they use that console to go into the games. One of the games that I'm really looking forward to putting in is the sort of old-school vector scan type game where Travis goes directly into the game and he's basically playing his own vector scan game. That's one of the games I've been wanting to put in for a while, so that's one of the highlights of the six different retro games that you'll play. As far as the other ones, I can't really say yet.

More at the link.
The first thing I though of when he mentionned the retro games is that retro world in Saints Row IV, maybe it will be similar.

MYeager

Maybe one of the video game worlds will be Eat Lead the Return of Matt Hazard and we'll really go down a rabbit hole

Travis has to wait for Sumio Mondo and the Killer7 first to appear in Smash Bros, though.

I was simply talking how Smash characters have to actually appear in a game on a Nintendo system.

Of course Sumio Mondo form Flower, Sun and Rain would count.

8-Travis.png

Ready and waiting with my garbled speech pattern.

Harpoon

Another interview from Gameinformer that gives more info on the kind of games Travis will explore :
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Oh hey, he actually brought up the interpreter problems!

For the Switch event, there was actually a script and everyone was supposed to go by the script, but I was like, "screw it," and ad libbed the thing. [laughs] I had a simultaneous interpreter who was working on it, and I kind of caused a lot of trouble for that guy by completely going off-script and screwing the guy up. [laughs] Afterwards, I went backstage and everyone at Nintendo was like, "Don't worry about it. That was great! We liked what you did." Just earlier I met the interpreter from the Switch event and said, "I want to apologize. I'm sorry about that. I know I caused a lot of problems for you." Then I gave him a little present to say I'm sorry. I'm glad I was able to meet the guy and apologize to him. I'm really happy that I got to meet him and apologize directly because I kind of felt bad ever since that happened. [laughs] I've been wanting to apologize the whole time!

TheMoon

More at the link.
The first thing I though of when he mentionned the retro games is that retro world in Saints Row IV, maybe it will be similar.

for reference what those vector scan games were:

star_wars_largeucp0q.png

so it should be clear now that Travis ain't running around in Hotline Miami or Shovel Knight world

Dascu

More at the link.

Getting more and more the impression that it will be 6 fictional (that is, designed by GHM, not an existing game) indie/retro games, rather than specifically a Hotline Miami or Shovel Knight world.

So basically, I'm kind of expecting GHM's take on a platformer, roguelike, dating sim, shmup/vector shooter, RPG, etc. And the indie partnerships with existing IPs will be in the form of cameo characters, T-shirts, music, etc.

So he's not necessarily running around 6 real indie games like a Hotline Miami? He's going through 6 indie like type of games and other indie devs will help him?

So he's not necessarily running around 6 real indie games like a Hotline Miami? He's going through 6 indie like type of games and other indie devs will help him?

Yes, essentially the idea is Travis will be going through 6 stylized video game worlds and is adherent to their rules and variations while still being a 3D Brawler, and the influence of the 6 actual indie games won't be huge, but will still be there. Whether or not it's just cosmetic and referential or if they have actual impact remains to be seen

So 1 hit deaths in the Hotline Miami world and things to dig up in the Shovel Knight world? I'm interested to see what he means by "rules".

LordKano

Another interview, from Dualshockers this time. Not many new infos though.
http://www.dualshockers.com/no-more-heroes-travis-strikes-again-switch-exclusive/

He explained that he has always loved to develop games for Nintendo consoles. Every time they release new hardware, it always comes with all kinds of new features that other consoles have never done before. For instance, when the Wii came out, it had a really interesting controller that inspired the beam katana of No More Heroes. It had all sorts of things that you could do, that weren’t possible with other controllers. Even with the Game Cube, the controller was really different, with buttons in different position.

Now with the Switch, you can play it on a TV or in handheld mode, you can attach and detach the Joy-Cons, and Suda-san feels that Nintendo is “by far the most punk” hardware manufacturer. They’re always trying new things that other manufacturers haven’t tried, or haven’t even thought of trying. Each time they releases a new piece of hardware, he feels that as a creator they’re challenging him to find out what he can do with those features.

Asked whether Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes will remain a Nintendo Switch exclusive, Suda-san immediately responded “Yes,” but then he added “Maybe,” in English bypassing the interpreter.

For now, it’ll certainly be good to play a new adventure for Travis Touchdown on Nintendo Switch, and then we’ll see. The original No More Heroes was initially a Wii exclusive, and then it was remade as No More Heroes: Heroes’ Paradise for PS3 and Xbox 360 three years later. On the other hand, sequel No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle remained a Wii exclusive.

I'll do a big recap' of everything we know in the OP once more interviews will roll out.

LordKano

Daburu post, sorry, but there's another interview that's slightly more interesting.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ting_indies_and_collecting_zeldas_korok_seeds

Why did you want to work with indie developers on the newest No More Heroes game? Are these games that you’re a fan of? Are you trying to spotlight smaller developers?

It wasn’t so much that I wanted to put the spotlight on other developers, but there are two main reasons. One reason is because I personally am a fan of these games and these creators and for me, these indie creators are superstars. Not just to me, but to Travis as well. I feel that Travis would definitely be a fan of these games. These are games that I think are awesome, games that Travis thinks are awesome, so let’s see if we can do something together. Again, as opposed to trying to put the spotlight on them, it’s that I personally and Travis as a character would definitely want to work with these guys. That’s where the whole idea for the collaboration came from. This time at PAX I’ve seen a bunch of cool games and creators and talked to a bunch of them and so far it’s been going really well as far as getting people together to join in the collaboration.

Has the full roster for Travis Strikes Again been decided, or are you still in the recruiting process?

It hasn’t all been totally finalized yet. That’s not to say that I haven’t found people to collaborate with; there’s actually a bunch of them, but I’m going to keep finding new creators, new games, pretty much right up until the 11th hour just before the game is actually released. If I find games and people that are willing to work with me that I want to work with, I want to put as many in the game as possible. There’s basically no limit, it’s an infinite space that I’ve got set up for these people and games to collaborate with. At this point, there have been 15 games that have been decided so far.

You’ve worked from a variety of genres, such as action games, visual novels, and wrestling games. Can we expect Travis Strikes Again to explore different genres?

Maybe. [Laughing]

Obviously it’s going to be an action game, so that’s one genre that it has to cover. As for the rest, all I can say is “maybe” at this point.

Will gameplay reflect the indie games that appear in Travis Strikes Again, or will gameplay be in the style of early No More Heroes titles?

One thing that a lot of people seem to misunderstand is that there are definitely games inside this game, but they’re not actually the indie games that I’m collaborating with. They’re actually completely original games that exist in the world of No More Heroes, but they’re not existing games in the real world. In Travis Strikes Again, there is a game console called the Death Drive MK-II that uses these objects that we are calling Tiger Balls as games rather than cartridges or discs. There are six of these games that exist in the world.

[...]

As for the games that you play, the fundamental gameplay for each game is pretty much the same. The genre of each game is different, but the fundamental gameplay is the same. The games that Travis plays in the game actually have nothing to do with the indie games themselves. The indie game collaboration is basically what we’re referring to as the “t-shirt collaboration.” The indie games that I’ve been going around and collecting to collaborate with, they’re going to be featured on Travis’s t-shirts. At this point there are 15 games, and Travis will have as many t-shirts that you can switch back and forth for however many games I’m able to collect before the game goes on sale.

Are the indie developers involved in the development process of Travis Strikes Again?

At this point they’re not, but that’s not to say that they’re not going to be. There are definitely some characters and some elements of certain games that, if possible, I’m thinking I’d like to incorporate into the game in some way. Right now, the only thing that’s definitely decided is the t-shirt collaboration, but we’re definitely thinking of deeper ways to collaborate with the indie creators if possible. But that has not at all been decided.

In previous No More Heroes games, each boss fight felt unique based on the various assassins that you came in contact with. Can we expect something similar with the bosses in Travis Strikes Again? If so, how might those play?

There are six different games that are going to appear in this game, so at the very least there will be six very different, really unique boss fights. The art and general aesthetic of the game is going to be really awesome, so I want everyone to look forward to that.

All of the new characters that are appearing in this game were all made by a new collaborator of mine who is an artist from the UK named Boneface. The characters in the game are sort of a collaborative effort between Yūsuke Kozaki and Boneface.

There are theories going around that the antagonist from the trailer is possibly Bad Girl from the original No More Heroes game’s father or a relative. Could you shed some light on that?

I can’t comment on that.

But that’s totally right.

More at the link. I guess that finally settle how the indie collaborations will be integrated.

Yep it's confirmed not to be real indie games.

TBH this is more like Persona 4 to me in a way. You go to different dungeons that are aesthetically different. Like he said they'll be stylized and some gameplay stuff here and there.

The real indie guys like Shovel Knight will get mentions by Travis wearing they're clothing or maybe he'll have a Shovel Knight statue sitting on his tv.

Jarmel

Banned
Hopefully there isn't any of the nonsense gameplay restrictions like in NMH2. Some of the genre shifts were beyond infuriating.
- The collaboration with the indies aren't necessarily about the levels themselves (he was answering about if there was going to be a Shovel Knight level in the game) or the gameplay. What they wanted to show was that Travis is a hardcore gamer. So Travis won't necessarily play these indie games or fight the characters, but Travis will have different t-shirts featuring these games for example and Shovel Knight is one of them. However plans aren't concrete and there may be instances where Travis interact with the indie games, like Hotline Miami.
This is kind of disappointing but also relieving at the same time.

Top Bottom