• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gary Oldman responds to Anti-Semitic charges from the Anti-Defamation League

Status
Not open for further replies.

stufte

He's a great talent and will still get good roles. This may damage his public image and likely his relationships with some of the more sensitive studio executives, but this is FAR from "career suicide."

These weird ass apologies aren't helping, though.
I think you're right, if he stops here, but this apology indicates that he'd rather keep giving everybody the finger.

Kinyou

I've always found it ironic when people are shunned out of hollywood for saying that it's run by jews.

Doesn't that kind of prove their point?....
jesse-eisenberg-lipbih8pnm.gif

...are you really naive enough to think that when Gary Oldman made mention of Jews "running" Hollywood, he wasn't referencing the stereotype and anti-semitic belief that Jews run Hollywood as a means to obtain power and take over the world? I mean, what could the context possibly have been otherwise?

hahaha when did he say Jews run Hollywood so they can take over the world? Are you really naive enough to think that you can jump to definitive conclusions about something someone you've never met has said in a print interview? Get real, man.

The stereotype exists because it is fundamentally true. There are a ton of Jews in power in Hollywood. No other community has a greater direct influence on the industry's production than Jews do. They're not trying to take over the world through Hollywood - that's ludicrous - and not everyone who brings their influence to light is trying to convey that outrageous message.

Gary Oldman was pointing out that Mel Gibson angered a community that held the majority of the power in Hollywood and that's why it's been tough for him to match his previous successes. That was the statement. It wasn't: "The Jewish community's attempt to take over the world through Hollywood has been criticized by Mel Gibson. Now they won't use him as an instrument anymore."

I've always found it ironic when people are shunned out of hollywood for saying that it's run by jews.

lol yes, it does. Most of the people who have an opinion on these sorts of things aren't part of the industry, though. So they're not aware how prevalent Jewish influence is within Hollywood.

The other issue is that a lot of times when people say "Jews run Hollywood" they're saying it with contempt instead of admiration.

Dyno

From 'gentlemen' to an 'Empire of their Own' to 'the chosen' to 'Shalom' that is some really fine trolling. It's trolling with good pacing, with proper rhyme and meter.

It's just excellent. Gary takes us to school once again.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
That's a stereotype?

That's one I haven't heard of.

A number of very large and influential film production companies and talent management agencies were founded and operated by people who were Jewish. The conspiracy/stereotype was then invented around people who concluded, as has been concluded many times in history, that there must be something that is untoward about the subsequent massing of wealth in the Jewish community. It's horseshit, but that's where it's coming from.

Kadayi

Banned
He's a great talent and will still get good roles. This may damage his public image and likely his relationships with some of the more sensitive studio executives, but this is FAR from "career suicide."

Yeah I don't see this impacting him a great deal. Sure he's probably not going to get any Oscar nods for a while, but them's the breaks. I doubt he'll be crying himself to sleep over it.

These weird ass apologies aren't helping, though.

Given the tone I suspect he's being rather dry (a British condition) at needing to issue an apology at the behest of his agent.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3

Dr.Acula

Banned
Honest question: Can someone explain where the notion that "the Jews run Hollywood" might come from?

When the studio system in Hollywood started, a lot of the big studios were founded by Jewish people. Some people think they've maintained an iron grip and continue to control the film industry today, blacklisting anyone who dares to question their reign, and preventing whites from reaching the echelons of power, which is nonsense.

Way to get blacklisted dude. No more movies for you.

...are you really naive enough to think that when Gary Oldman made mention of Jews "running" Hollywood, he wasn't referencing the stereotype and anti-semitic belief that Jews run Hollywood as a means to obtain power and take over the world? I mean, what could the context possibly have been otherwise?

I was assuming cronyism of some sort.

JohnDoe

Banned
When the studio system in Hollywood started, a lot of the big studios were founded by Jewish people. Some people think they've maintained an iron grip and continue to control the film industry today, blacklisting anyone who dares to question their reign, and preventing whites from reaching the echelons of power, which is nonsense.

huh???

kirblar

A number of very large and influential film production companies and talent management agencies were founded and operated by people who were Jewish. The conspiracy/stereotype was then invented around people who concluded, as has been concluded many times in history, that there must be something that is untoward about the subsequent massing of wealth in the Jewish community. It's horseshit, but that's where it's coming from.
This actually came up in my Macroeconomics course back in college- the persecution endured by the Jewish people had a huge impact in altering what the culture valued and what professions they went into. The persecution caused them to value learned skills like that didn't require great amounts of physical capital (like farming, blacksmithing). If they had to leave, they needed a profession like medicine that they could use in the next town to earn a living. And when the technological revolution of the 18-900s took hold, those fields ended up being super super super good to be in and turned into a mass cultural upside.

royalan

hahaha when did he say Jews run Hollywood so they can take over the world? Are you really naive enough to think that you can jump to definitive conclusions about something someone you've never met has said in a print interview? Get real, man.

The stereotype exists because it is fundamentally true. There are a ton of Jews in power in Hollywood. No other community has a greater direct influence on the industry's production than Jews do.

Gary Oldman was pointing out that Mel Gibson angered a community that held the majority of the power in Hollywood and that's why it's been tough for him to match his previous successes. That was the statement. It wasn't: "The Jewish community's attempt to take over the world through Hollywood has been criticized by Mel Gibson. Now they won't use him as an instrument anymore."

Let's not be intentionally dense here. It is more than fair to make a reasonable inference as to what Oldman was getting at with his statements. This "It's not racism/sexism/homophobia/antisemitism unless someone says those exact words." has got to stop.

This is Oldman's statement:
“Mel Gibson is in a town that’s run by Jews and he said the wrong thing because he’s actually bitten the hand that I guess has fed him - and doesn’t need to feed him anymore because he’s got enough dough,” he continued.

The clear problem with this, also pointed out in ADL's response, is that Oldman is treating Jewish people that work in Hollywood as a collective, a hive mind, and that they made the decision to oust him from Hollywood. The language here is a direct reference those offensive ideas about Jews in Hollywood. The other problem with Oldman's statements is that it robs people of the right to be pissed off by Oldman's fuckery on an individual level. It's not about Mel Gibson pissing off "The Jews" who then turned against him. It's about Mel Gibson saying some fucked up shit, that pissed off a LOT of people, a lot of those people HAPPENED to be Jewish, and a lot of Jewish people happen to work in Hollywood. But those people made the individual choice to not work with Mel Gibson, and that's what Oldman doesn't seem to want to understand.

Dr.Acula

Banned

Yeah, that's why white people perpetuate the stereotype. Obviously, white people should be treated fairly, i.e. running the industry. Same thing as men's rights, affirmative action etc. etc.

It's since there are a couple of high profile Jewish producers, obviously the whole of Hollywood is run by Jews.

Haha, I...have noticed that as well. Although I guess it's similar to Sterling being run out of the NBA, except that was some truly racist stuff. I wonder what the reaction would have been if he implied black people run the NBA/NFL...Although, I haven't followed this TOO much, so maybe he did say something more racist than I think. I also just skimmed this apology

Also, INB4 Natural's Law. I'm black. I'm not falling for that

JohnDoe

Banned
Yeah, that's why white people perpetuate the stereotype. Obviously, white people should be treated fairly, i.e. running the industry. Same thing as men's rights, affirmative action etc. etc.

It's since there are a couple of high profile Jewish producers, obviously the whole of Hollywood is run by Jews.

My confusion is more aimed at the fact that the jewish people in hollywood are white too lol

Fucking context people, "the Jews run Hollywood" is classic white supremacist rhetoric to explain why they're secret victims of the Zionist conspiracy. That's why it's a red-flag, for Jews and gentiles alike.

Dr.Acula

Banned
My confusion is more aimed at the fact that the jewish people in hollywood are white too lol

Oh man, don't get me started. If you're not from certain European countries or America I don't blame you for being confused. I'm also guessing a lot of the people who don't know the "Jews run Hollywood to get money to rig the American election system so that Israel gets billions of US tax dollars so they can take over the world" conspiracy theory are not from the USA.

Kadayi

Banned
The other problem with Oldman's statements is that it robs people of the right to be pissed off by Oldman's fuckery on an individual level. It's not about Mel Gibson pissing off "The Jews" who then turned against him. It's about Mel Gibson saying some fucked up shit, that pissed off a LOT of people, a lot of those people HAPPENED to be Jewish, and a lot of Jewish people happen to work in Hollywood. But those people made the individual choice to not work with Mel Gibson, and that's what Oldman doesn't seem to want to understand.

There seems to a hell of a lot of second guessing there.

Honest question: Can someone explain where the notion that "the Jews run Hollywood" might come from?

Leading Hollywood movie moguls and pioneers of the studio system era where jewish: Louis B. Mayer and Samuel Goldwyn (Metro-Goldwyn Mayer MGM) William Fox (Twentieth Century Fox), Jesse L. Lasky and Adolph Zukor (Paramount Pictures), Harry Cohn (Columbia Pictures) and Marcus Loew (Loews Pictures), Harry, Albert, Sam, and Jack Warner (Warner Brothers) and Carl Laemmle the founder of Universal Studios.

Dr.Acula

Banned
There seems to a hell of a lot of second guessing there.

A lot of people think that Gibson is blacklisted, and that he's blacklisted not because of his racist diatribes, but because he make a racist diatribe against the wrong race. Like if he said that Mexicans were destroying America people wouldn't have turned away from him.

This actually came up in my Macroeconomics course back in college- the persecution endured by the Jewish people had a huge impact in altering what the culture valued and what professions they went into. The persecution caused them to value learned skills like that didn't require great amounts of physical capital (like farming, blacksmithing). If they had to leave, they needed a profession like medicine that they could use in the next town to earn a living. And when the technological revolution of the 18-900s took hold, those fields ended up being super super super good to be in and turned into a mass cultural upside.

and I assume something that other cultures resented and/or harbored envy towards

Kadayi

Banned
A lot of people think that Gibson is blacklisted, and that he's blacklisted not because of his racist diatribes, but because he make a racist diatribe against the wrong race. Like if he said that Mexicans were destroying America people wouldn't have turned away from him.

Are there any precedents with respect to the latter?

did anyone even ask him to to weigh in on Gibson and racism in general or did he just volunteer his opinion about it out of the blue? If he did, talk about a completely self made bowl of shit soup.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I would like to sign off with “Shalom Aleichem”—but under the circumstances, perhaps today I lose the right to use that phrase
bahahaha, I lost it there.

Are there any precedents with respect to the latter?

I think I remember reading about Governor Arnold making disparaging comments about Blacks and how if they were in public office they'd destroy the country or something, but that was back years ago. If he'd said that shit today, he'd be finished. I dont think its fair to cite anything from say, 20 years back, standards were different. Any A list actor today, saying anything disparaging about gays or minorities, I'd have to think that would significantly harm their career.

entremet

did anyone even ask him to to weigh in on Gibson and racism in general or did he just volunteer his opinion about it out of the blue? If he did, talk about a completely self made bowl of shit soup.

He's not the only one who has. RDJ has too, however, RDJ was way more diplomatic and didn't reference ethnicity but only said Hollywood should forgive Mel.

Renzoku

Banned
He bit the hand that feeds him, and the hand is slapping him back hard.

I'm amazed they didn't accept it. That was a mea cupla blowjob.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom