• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GDC 2016 papers and presentations

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I can't seem to find Massive's The Division GI slides anywhere... would be really interested to see them.

_machine

I can't seem to find Massive's The Division GI slides anywhere... would be really interested to see them.
I think they and the other remaining presentations will be released through the GDC Vault together with the videos, which hopefully should be quite soon (I think traditionally it's taken something like 3 weeks for them to be up on Vault).

dr_rus

Vulkan-API : „Lots of rules and no mercy.“
There's a photographed version of NV's Vulkan presentation which wasn't released yet I think.

8-1080.2141575261.jpg
18-1080.903326165.jpg
21-1080.1856584283.jpg
23-1080.4212040929.jpg
10-1080.285314423.jpg
7-1080.608903462.jpg

I've just realized that this is a GTC presentation but whatever =)

_machine

GDC Vault added 2016 presentations.
http://www.gdcvault.com/browse/gdc-16
No slides for the elusive Division GI presentation, will try to watch the video, but my connection back home sucks :(

At least I know what I'll be doing tomorrow at work now :)

EDIT: Yeah, connection's not working well, but at quickly glancing at the Dynamic GI talk it seemed like:
-effectively still very similar to the Ubisoft has used before (probe-based, baked elements)
-seemed to be still pretty much the same system as the E3 demo, which they talked about during Nordic Game a couple of years back, though naturally that wasn't a production ready system
-they also a had completely different approach at first, but it wasn't feasible and couldn't keep up with dynamic ToD (edit2: feasible, mening tradeoffs weren't worth it, not that the performance itself would necessary be the problem)

dr_rus

Hybrid Frustum Traced Shadows

+ all NV's GDC presentation slides but the slides links there seems to be broken so here's the fixed version omitting those which are "coming soon":

• Give life to your 3D art with MDL and NVIDIA Iray in Substance Painter | Slides
  • High-performance, Low-Overhead Rendering with OpenGL and Vulkan | Slides
  • Advanced Rendering with DirectX® | Slides
  • Advanced Geometrically Correct Shadows for Modern Game Engines | Slides
  • Fast, Flexible, Physically-Based Volumetric Light Scattering | Slides
  • Advanced Ambient Occlusion Methods for Modern Games | Slides
  • From the Lab Bench: Real-Time Rendering Advances from NVIDIA Research
    • An excursion in temporal super sampling | Slides
    • Stable Specular Highlights | Slides
    • Shader Programming: What's Next? | Slides
  • Rendering Faster and Better With NVIDIA VRWorks™ VR in UE4 | Slides
  • Vulkan and NVIDIA – The Essentials | Slides
  • Android TV Gaming: Designing (and Programming) for Success on Marshmallow | Slides
  • Streaming Games from the Cloud with GeForce NOW™ | Slides

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
No slides for the elusive Division GI presentation, will try to watch the video, but my connection back home sucks :(

At least I know what I'll be doing tomorrow at work now :)

EDIT: Yeah, connection's not working well, but at quickly glancing at the Dynamic GI talk it seemed like:
-effectively still very similar to the Ubisoft has used before (probe-based, baked elements)
-seemed to be still pretty much the same system as the E3 demo, which they talked about during Nordic Game a couple of years back, though naturally that wasn't a production ready system
-they also a had completely different approach at first, but it wasn't feasible and couldn't keep up with dynamic ToD (edit2: feasible, mening tradeoffs weren't worth it, not that the performance itself would necessary be the problem)

Any way to watch it without paying $495.00?

_machine

Any way to watch it without paying $495.00?
Not really, you do get a Vault pass if you visit the conferences (which of course costs, but it's a much better deal), but otherwise it's strictly behind a paywall.

Though again, from a very quick look (home connection's shit, and it's not exactly related to my own work so I couldn't be bothered to watch it at work), it looked like a very programming-detail heavy talk about a dynamic GI which is quite similar to ones Ubisoft have already used across their portfolio, but suited for the volumetric light etc. For the "downgrade" I don't know; it seemed essentially like the same system demoed at Nordic Game which was the one they used for the E3 demo, but just actual production ready technology that has the issues fixed that promotional material at a conference wouldn't show. Still, I'm not artist or programmer and only skimmed through the video so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Top Bottom