• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GDC Expo: hands on impressions/media of Project Morpheus (Sony VR)

atr0cious

Totally doable.

Imagine a 3rd person game where it feels like you are following them in the real world instead of on a screen. Right now you are viewing it on a flat surface, but with VR you are essentially "in" the world but watching your character move and react. It's still much more immersive than the flat panel you have now.

Taking this further. Madden could have you sitting inside the accurately modeled team specific coaches booth in the stadium of your favorite team. You'd be able to look over the side and see the fans waving up at you also watching the game on the field.

RTS could have you in a castle keep watching above your knights in battle, and ravens fly into your window to send you messages from the field.

Even something like watching a movie, could be modeled after famous theaters, or maybe you want to sit in the first theater ever made by the Lumiere Brothers while watching Transformers 5: Planet of the Earth.

VR is going to rule.

This is especially interesting because I thought Carmack was one of the people (or maybe it was someone else from OculusVR) basically saying the PS4 and the Xbox One didn't have the juice to run VR games the way Oculus was planning.

Granted, that statement could still be true, but if Carmack's saying 1080p60 low-latency VR is possible on PS4 then I'm not really sure what the big thing Oculus-style VR would do that the PS4 wouldn't. Besides, I suppose, graphical fidelity (Oculus games will look better but maintain the same 1080p60 VR spec).

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Another impression:

Sebastien 'Cb' Kuntz ‏@Cb_VRGeek 2m

#Morpheus: good rez, comfortable, low latency, wide range position tracking , hand tracking 2b improved, some blur pic.twitter.com/CYs4C29dXR

BjG85MyCIAAPugU.jpg

More in the OP!

Morpheus did not feel the same as oculus. I mean that in more than one way. The only thing I would have liked more besides tracking is that the sound was too quiet so I could not hear the nuances of the sound work done by Sony.

The first demo I played was The Deep. I was inside a cage going underwater and got attacked by a shark. The second demo was one where I could move more freely; punching and shooting in a medieval setting. I got eaten by a dragon. Both demos looked impressive graphically and the depth was very well done. Bubbles close and wreckage far away in the deep. The current downsides for Sony to work through: tracking, quicker resetting of calibration, and perhaps the sound.

The first demo I played was The Deep. I was inside a cage going underwater and got attacked by a shark.

other demo

The second demo was one where I could move more freely; punching and shooting in a medieval setting. I got eaten by a dragon.
Both demos looked impressive graphically and the depth was very well done. Bubbles close and wreckage far away in the deep.
The current downsides for Sony to work through: tracking, quicker resetting of calibration, and perhaps the sound.

https://twitter.com/Solanimus

whitehawk

Banned
This is especially interesting because I thought Carmack was one of the people (or maybe it was someone else from OculusVR) basically saying the PS4 and the Xbox One didn't have the juice to run VR games the way Oculus was planning.

Granted, that statement could still be true, but if Carmack's saying 1080p60 low-latency VR is possible on PS4 then I'm not really sure what the big thing Oculus-style VR would do that the PS4 wouldn't. Besides, I suppose, graphical fidelity (Oculus games will look better but maintain the same 1080p60 VR spec).
Well, I imagine vr on ps3 would be possible, but then they would look like ps2 games (like the god of war demo they had running on ps3).

Pungza

https://twitter.com/Solanimus

What currently sets Morpheus apart from what I've done with oculus is the clarity of very near and far as well as full body tracking ...and overall comfort of course.

Both demos looked impressive graphically and the depth was very well done. Bubbles close and wreckage far away in the deep.

The current downsides for Sony to work through: tracking, quicker resetting of calibration, and perhaps the sound.

Impressions seem good so far

Kosma

Banned
Im so excited about this, I really hope this takes off big time on pc, ps4 and xbone.

This is what I have always dreamed of.

jaypah

Between this and OR I am so glad the ball is finally rolling on the VR trail. I have waited so long for this to be feasible in home. Completely stoked!

Cartman86

Banned

Oculus is aiming for 90 not 60. That's the supposed sweet spot Valve demonstrated for presence.

StuBurns

Banned
Any impression that says Oculus or Rift without specifying which iteration should be blacklisted, from everything, forever.

Totally forgot about the Ps move. I hope they add ir senors in the final version,this shit is getting annoying.

why would it be annoying if your eyes/face are completely covered by a 5 inch 960x1080p screen (x2)? I personally think it helps with branding and helps it stand out as a playstation device. Would IR work? Sure. But does it look as cool? Probably not.

hohoXD123

https://twitter.com/DamienKieken

So, here is my Morpheus demo debrief. It's quite comfortable and easy to adjust. Immersion wasn't perfect: was still able to see the ground.

The screen quality is good but you can still see the pixel like with the Oculus Rift (haven't tried the HD one).

The Demo in itself was you beefing blocked in a cage with a shark attacking you. You couldn't really interact. #GDC2014 #UbiGDC

Immersion is quite cool, even more with the pad mimicking your arm. As soon as the shark attacks the cage, everything is moving but not you.

...So it's quite weird and breaking your immersion. I'm subject to motion sickness but didn't felt it here which is great. #GDC2014 #UbiGDC

Maybe because the character wasn't moving. Overall is great to see Sony moving to VR. Result is for me like Occulus Rift.

jaypah

Any impression that says Oculus or Rift without specifying which iteration should be blacklisted, from everything, forever.

Right, it's confusing and makes it hard to set proper expectations. Hopefully as the day goes on we'll get some detailed write-ups when folks have a moment to sit down and write.

What difference does it make once you're wearing a VR headset? You'll never see the lights.
If i'm watching someone using it,the lights will get annoying.

Edit: This doesn't mean i won't buy it,it's just a strange little quirk i have with this stuff.

Top Bottom