• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GDC Expo: hands on impressions/media of Project Morpheus (Sony VR)

Durante

Any impression that says Oculus or Rift without specifying which iteration should be blacklisted, from everything, forever.
Yeah, considering the generational gap between DK1 and DK2 adding those 3 letters should really be mandatory when providing impressions.

Solanimus - DavidHK ‏@Solanimus 4 min.

I must emphasize the comfort. Morpheus is very comfortable; I didn't even think about that I was wearing it until I got asked in aninterview

Weird design but glad it's comfortable.

The consumer version of Morpheus (as this was a prototype) will hopefully have more precise tracking with good calibration, and good 3dsound

I must emphasize the comfort. Morpheus is very comfortable; I didn't even think about that I was wearing it until I got asked in a interview
Project Morpheus gets Sony a gold star so far.

https://twitter.com/Solanimus

Immersion is quite cool, even more with the pad mimicking your arm. As soon as the shark attacks the cage, everything is moving but not you.

So it's quite weird and breaking your immersion. I'm subject to motion sickness but didn't felt it here which is great.

Maybe because the character wasn't moving. Overall is great to see Sony moving to VR. Result is for me like Occulus Rift.
https://twitter.com/DamienKieken

Also said the hardware was hidden so he couldn't confirm what it was running on

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
OP updated with lots more impressions, including this one:
@DamienKieken said:
So, here is my Morpheus demo debrief. It's quite comfortable and easy to adjust. Immersion wasn't perfect: was still able to see the ground. The screen quality is good but you can still see the pixel like with the Oculus Rift (haven't tried the HD one). The Demo in itself was you beefing blocked in a cage with a shark attacking you. You couldn't really interact. Immersion is quite cool, even more with the pad mimicking your arm. As soon as the shark attacks the cage, everything is moving but not you. So it's quite weird and breaking your immersion. I'm subject to motion sickness but didn't felt it here which is great. Maybe because the character wasn't moving. Overall is great to see Sony moving to VR. Result is for me like Occulus Rift.

Any impression that says Oculus or Rift without specifying which iteration should be blacklisted, from everything, forever.

Yeah it really makes things confusing. My guess is a lot of these first impressions will be referring to the first devkit, though seeing as DK2 is easily accessible there we'll get a clearer picture of the difference as the day goes on.

KAL2006

Banned
As expected VR will be demanding, and games with crazy graphics like Killzone Shadow Fall will most likely not be possible on this.

Dennis

Banned
What the fuck do they mean they can see the pixels?

Is this 1080p or what is the resolution of the current kit?

StuBurns

Banned
Yeah it really makes things confusing. My guess is a lot of these first impressions will be referring to the first devkit, though seeing as DK2 is easily accessible there we'll get a clearer picture of the difference as the day goes on.
Yeah, and even that's not the only possibilities, Rift HD from E3, CC from CES. People really need to specify.

Of course you can see the pixels. You'll see them QHD too, probably 4k too.

Bsigg12

Sounds like a good starting point for Sony. I still don't expect to see it released until next year but I'm glad that it's real and for the most part, at a convention no less, they've worked through some of the initial hurdles of good VR.

Nafai1123

Banned

It's 1080p (960x1080x2). I'm waiting for some more detailed impressions about the actual screen, as "seeing the pixels" doesn't tell us shit really.

weevles

This sounds really promising. If the they get enough devs on board and keep the price in check this might possibly not completely flop like Move and Vita. :p

Durante

1080p is really not much for VR.

Don't get me wrong, it's sufficient, at least with good AA, but it's certainly at the very low end of what's acceptable.

Think of it like playing at 640x480 on a monitor :p

Impressions seem decent so far. Price point will mean everything for this catching on though

It's a very very specific peripheral. Man I hope it goes well then it'll get support

Impressions seem decent so far. Price point will mean everything for this catching on though

It's a very very specific peripheral. Man I hope it goes well then it'll get support

If they can hit a $200 - $250 price point like some people have said, I think we have a winner.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
As expected VR will be demanding, and games with crazy graphics like Killzone Shadow Fall will most likely not be possible on this.
You know what's awesome though?
VR will promote games that emphasis 60fps, excellent image quality, responsive controls and immersion and atmosphere, over cinematic experiences, graphics instead of gameplay, cutscenes, quicktime events and more.

It's a win for everyone, even those who don't want to wear goggles.

The only thing I don't like about Morpheus is the word "prototype". It somehow stinks of 2015 to me:(

Well that's not necessarily a bad thing (2015). From their presentation yesterday it doesn't seem like they have a lot of content or projects on this yet, hence being at GDC to attract interest for development. Better to have a few full robust experiences to choose from at launch other than just a Wii Sports of VR.

Dennis

Banned
Of course you can see the pixels. You'll see them QHD too, probably 4k too.

Yea, it's 1080p.

It's 1080p (960x1080x2). I'm waiting for some more detailed impressions about the actual screen, as "seeing the pixels" doesn't tell us shit really.

You always will see the pixel if it had low PPI.

Only way to fix is extreme high PPI.

1080p is really not much for VR.

Don't get me wrong, it's sufficient, at least with good AA, but it's certainly at the very low end of what's acceptable.

Think of it like playing at 640x480 on a monitor :p

OK, guys. I just stuck my nose all up in my monitor and........you are right. I can see the pixels.

And they said we would never have a use for 16K..........

Vinc

Yep, this is why they flat out refused to take the light off DS4s. They're betting a lot on this. I'm so happy they are, as well.

Freeman

Banned
When will we have 4K 5 inches display in market? How much will it cost?

Will upscalling images to 4K from 1080p work fine with VR? (I assume it should)

Seanspeed

Banned
OK, guys. I just stuck my nose all up in my monitor and........you are right. I can see the pixels.

Something that a lot of people going into VR should probably know up front - when people say PS3 visuals, they just mean what's being rendered on the screen. The image clarity to *us* will not be anything like what we think of as PS3 visuals with our faces up to the screens.

VR involves taking a step back.

zoozilla

You know what's awesome though?
VR will promote games that emphasis 60fps, excellent image quality, responsive controls and immersion and atmosphere, over cinematic experiences, graphics instead of gameplay, cutscenes, quicktime events and more.

It's a win for everyone, even those who don't want to wear goggles.

You think?

I would imagine that VR would encourage spectacle over pure gameplay - lots of "look over there! Whoa, that bullet flew right by your face!"

I would say you could see more QTEs, especially if you've got games that use both VR and Move.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I find it funny that of all the aspects of tracking that need more polishing, it's apparently the hands (move tracking). But maybe they've been taking it for granted until more recently and been focussing elsewhere.

Durante

Actually, 16k is close to the estimates of what we need for perfect VR. Per eye.

Something that a lot of people going into VR should probably know up front - when people say PS3 visuals, they just mean what's being rendered on the screen. The image clarity to *us* will not be anything like what we think of as PS3 visuals with our faces up to the screens.

VR involves taking a step back.
Yes, this is also why better AA is essential. You really can't just slap FXAA on it and call it a day.

Gurish

I think visuals around what outlast looks like would be possible, no?
I think Outlast looks great and for VR it will be more than enough, i was scared to death even without VR in this game!
Seriously though, Outlast graphics in VR will satisfy me, it's doable right?

My brain would break at that kind of thought. Goddamn.

qZ5rJ7D.jpg

Gives new meaning to eye meltingly awesome visuals.

Duallusion

Well that's not necessarily a bad thing (2015). From their presentation yesterday it doesn't seem like they have a lot of content or projects on this yet, hence being at GDC to attract interest for development. Better to have a few full robust experiences to choose from at launch other than just a Wii Sports of VR.

Yeah, agreed, but ... Iwanitnouw! :)

(Disclaimer: I don't have a PC that can handle OR.)

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I wish I had my own place with a dedicated gaming room whose only light source (when lights are off) is the television, my controller and the VR device. I imagine a pitch black room for complete immersion. I'd probably want to stand up for a lot of the games, presumably because they wouldn't really be competitive games so I don't need to sit to adjust my arms for precision aiming.

Man, I can't wait to do this. Oh, and the game? It needs to be Alien Isolation. I know this will most likely never happen, but any horror game (preferably this one) will do. I want my blood pressure to sky rocket, I want my asshole to pucker, I want my insides feel like they're about to fall out.

Yes, I want this.

Durante

You think?

I would imagine that VR would encourage spectacle over pure gameplay - lots of "look over there! Whoa, that bullet flew right by your face!"

I would say you could see more QTEs, especially if you've got games that use both VR and Move.
A QTE generally involves taking full control away from players. You can't do that in VR.

Freeman

Banned
I find it funny that of all the aspects of tracking that need more polishing, it's apparently the hands (move tracking). But maybe they've been taking it for granted until more recently and been focussing elsewhere.
Move Motion Plus confirmed.

iceatcs

So head tracking seem all fine but the Move controller need to work?
I could see it could be different camera need bit more work on configure.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
You think?

Those kind of things will be more common, for sure.
What I meant was less random button prompts to perform a complex action, and more actually performing something that resembles that action physically.

Hellshy.

Totally forgot about the Ps move. I hope they add ir senors in the final version,this shit is getting annoying.

From what I understand one of the benefits of having leds with different colors is it allows the camera to track say the controller and the hmd at same time.

Not sure why its annoying since you wont see any of this with the hmd on your head.

Top Bottom