• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GDC - NVIDIA, AMD, Intel Explain How OpenGL Can Unlock 15x Performance Gains

nasanu

Banned
Basically this story is saying that right now they believe that PCs are only using 1/15th of their potential power, which explains quite a lot when you look at PC graphics (high resolution but generally rubbish).

Armaros

Basically this story is saying that right now they believe that PCs are only using 1/15th of their potential power, which explains quite a lot when you look at PC graphics (high resolution but generally rubbish).

And the bolded means console graphics are the graphical equivalent of legal blindness. :p

Armaros

It is true that PCs are punching below their weight considering the hardware they pack.

That fact is true but, it has nothing to do with the ridiculous quote I bolded. Even with the hardware being inefficient, PC versions of games almost always have many more effects and higher resolutions then their console equivalents if your hardware can support it.

Ehrm… It's reducing overhead by 7-15 times, not increasing overall rendering performance.

I'm not sure how much is lost by overhead these days, but whatever the number, it's surely a fraction of overall performance and not equal to it?

This is the worst start of a generation yet, consoles are already inferior and now PC could get a 15x boost, starts to feel like I'm playing on retro consoles but without the warm and fuzzy feeling of nostalgia. :(

... are you really sad about this? This is a good thing. Join us!

xenist

API wars! Finally, the final sign that the golden days of the PC are back!

And I'm being completely unironic.

Bsigg12

The question then becomes, who can provide better tools for developers? Should be really interesting to see who embraces what over the next few years.

Grayman

Ehrm… It's reducing overhead by 7-15 times, not increasing overall rendering performance.

I'm not sure how much is lost by overhead these days, but whatever the number, it's surely a fraction of overall performance and not equal to it?
I haven't checked the presentation itself but if it is similar to other recent talk about draw calls in directx clogging the cpu up it is something that could give a huge impact in a tailor made demo but will have a smaller impact in existing software made to work within the constraints that existed.

UnrealEck

Mantle really lit a fire in all these other apis

This would still likely have happened. Valve's Steam platform is gaining on its already huge incluence of the PC games market and they have moved towards Linux and therefore OpenGL. It's a natural move for Microsoft to counter it with a DirectX update.

Does this mean that consoles will seem outdated compared to PC even faster than before?

No. That was already the case before the consoles were even out.

pottuvoi

Banned
PS3 uses OpenGL doesn't it? Will it benefit from this in any way at all?? Tech GAF required.
No, it doesn't.

There was support for OpenGL ES, but that was pretty much dropped and no-one uses it.
And of course PS4 is all about that GL
It isn't.
I think it's basically the case that PS4 already has "coding to the metal", while this would just be the PC equivalent.
Apparently, GNM and GNMX.
http://develop.scee.net/files/presentations/gceurope2013/ParisGC2013Final.pdf
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-how-the-crew-was-ported-to-playstation-4

HariKari

API wars are great, as long as I don't need separate hardware for each API.

Exactly. Buzzwords and claims aside, it has to raise a few eyebrows to see these three working together to oust DirectX, with Valve also pitching in. That's a lot of muscle.

BPoole

PCs are going to absolutely bury consoles by the end of this console gen. With these huge advances being made in graphics APIs, consoles won't have their optimization advantage and mid range hardware will be leagues more competent in all the latest multiplatform games

Yoda

I'd wait till someone unlocks this "15 times power leap" until assuming its actually a thing. Nothing other than buzzwords atm.

Seanspeed

Banned
Will API wars definitely be a good thing? Could is possibly lead to desperate measures to save a platform by forcing certain games to use 'x' API or by partnering closely with a CPU/GPU maker or something?

I really don't know much about it, just curious.

Durante

I've never programmed with DirectX before, and have some intermediate OpenGL 3 experiences. But here are some questions, that might be good to know.

• How's DirectX compared to OpenGL when it comes to ease of writing a new simple application?
  • How about the wrangling of extensions in OpenGL, how did people handle it in DirectX? ARB has always been a nightmare.
  • How much difference is there between GLSL and HLSL?
1) I'd say they are equivalent. Writing simple applications in either of them is simple these days.
2) Well, there's the OpenGL extension wrangler library (GLEW) which does all the boring extension handling. Modern DirectX doesn't really have extensions, which is also why you need to wait until late 2015 to get similar improvements in it as you can get in OpenGL now.
3) Not much. A small issue with GLSL is that it's compiled by the driver so there may be interpretation differences, but at least now there's a reference compiler.

And since we're talking about going open, can OpenCL do, say 80% of things that CUDA managed to achieve?
Yes. Currently, the biggest feature I know of in CUDA which you can't replicate with OpenCL is dynamic parallelism.

This would still likely have happened.
Most of the features described in this talk were added to OpenGL before Mantle existed.

Edit: No. All of the features described in this talk.

slide-120-638.jpg

Right. Totally.

maneil99

Will API wars definitely be a good thing? Could is possibly lead to desperate measures to save a platform by forcing certain games to use 'x' API or by partnering closely with a CPU/GPU maker or something?

No, Direct X and OpenGL would never be hardware exclusive.

Yes, they'll push greater performance to consumers at a time when CPU performance increases have stagnated.

AMD and Intel CPUs use the same instruction set (x86), so it's not like Intel could pay someone to use their processors exclusively.

AMD's recent CPUs haven't been able to compete with Intel's in terms of performance. Consequently, they're not recommended for use in an enthusiast PC build.

The same concept applies to GPUs. Nvidia or AMD might be able to get a slight advantage in certain games, but not exclusive ability to run on those GPUs.

The only limiting factor would be if developers use DirectX and make their games Windows exclusive.

OpenGL is an open source, cross-platform alternative that's not owned by any one stakeholder. It's at the heart of the recent push to make games available across Windows, Mac, and Linux.

No developer would limit themselves to only being able to run on certain AMD GPUs on Windows by going Mantle-exclusive.

Mantle works on Intel and AMD CPUs, but only on certain AMD GPUs (on Windows) for now. Nvidia probably won't give its competitor an advantage by supporting Mantle also, so it can't really become anything but an alternative vendor specific API tied to a specific platform. Now that DirectX and OpenGL are mirroring the reduced overhead of Mantle, it's possible for everyone to adopt these practices and Mantle wouldn't be necessary.

kartu

Banned
AMD too huh... I guess they realized that Mantle was a waste of time and resources.

There is a pretty noticeable boost in Mantle versions of games, as you can see in recent reviews of Thief game.
GPU manufacturer not taking part in major API discussions would be surprising.

In other words, sense your post makes none.

PCs are going to absolutely bury consoles by the end of this console gen.
Well, why would it be a bigger gap than last gen, if PC hardware is developing at much more modest pace now? (like two times slower)

tci

PCs are going to absolutely bury consoles by the end of this console gen. With these huge advances being made in graphics APIs, consoles won't have their optimization advantage and mid range hardware will be leagues more competent in all the latest multiplatform games
They still have a rather large advantage in terms of optimization.

No matter what, API wars will benefit everyone.

Angular graphics thread?

Angular graphics thread.

-SD-

Banned
Gamers need demos.

Would like to see heavily demanding demos with ON/OFF buttons. OpenGL magic off (DX11), OpenGL magic ON.

TheD

The Detective
There is a pretty noticeable boost in Mantle versions of games, as you can see in recent reviews of Thief game.
GPU manufacturer not taking part in major API discussions would be surprising.

In other words, sense your post makes none.

Well, why would it be a bigger gap than last gen, if PC hardware is developing at much more modest pace now? (like two times slower)

As Durante said, all of this stuff was around before Mantle, thus Mantle was pointless.

Hahahahaha...... No.
The 15x speed up is in reference to how much lower the driver overhead is, not the performance of the whole system and claiming that PC graphics are rubbish is clueless dribble!
Multi platform games on PC support the same or higher settings than the consoles.
For example: BF4 is mid/low on the PS4 and XB1, DoG: Ghosts looks better on PC, Thief looks the same but runs much better.

UnrealEck

The 15x is being a bit bold I agree. Your point about PC graphics looking rubbish is silly. You even dismissed resolution as if it doesn't have a massive impact on processing power.

Arent these APIs quite similar to OpenGL though? We know from at least a couple of PS exclusive developers that their PC engine is written in OpenGL at least. I would assume that is because it makes porting easier.

SparkTR

lol next-gen consoles are becoming more and more out-dated as the days go by and it's only been 4 months.

It's going to be interesting to see how things look a few years from now. The major benefits of these APIs is that it'll bring the baseline up for lower-end PCs in the future , all these new technologies (DX12, Mantle, OpenGL optimizations, G-Sync, Free-Sync) are pretty much waging war on those lower-end machines that have been holding progress back. I remember Epic was complain to Intel about this not long ago, and it seems to be finally starting to happen. It'll going to mean fantastic things in regards to price:performance.

Renekton

Any programmers here can help a pleb like me?

My understanding of the presentation is the way to reduce overhead is to send draw command in batches, put everything in a GL storage buffer and process them using glMultiDrawElementsIndirect?

UnrealEck

That doesn't mean it isn't there... Just wait a while. Look at early PS3 vs games now.

I could say that about anything really.
PS3 is not the same as PS4. Besides, PS3 games still don't demonstrate any significantly demonstrable instances of this whole console optimisation thing.

tci

I could say that about anything really.
PS3 is not the same as PS4. Besides, PS3 games still don't demonstrate any significantly demonstrable instances of this whole console optimisation thing.
Really? Look at the specs. That the graphics on a 9 year old console can hold its own today is quite something.

For PS4, it's a new system. It will take some time before devs learn to optimize. So many users are so fast to jump on the graphics when it's not as good as it can be.

Top Bottom