• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GDC - NVIDIA, AMD, Intel Explain How OpenGL Can Unlock 15x Performance Gains

It's cool that Microsoft is trying to improve DirectX but I want OpenGL to win the battle of the APIs. It is the best solution for the future of PC gaming.

SRG01

Wouldn't the immediate implication of this OpenGL implementation be more acceptable looking games for lower-end GPUs? I'm looking forward to my two-gen old APU to finally shine!

The jump we've witnessed in PS3 was mostly because it was damn hard to make games from. This time it's anything but. PS4 uses architecture people have been using for decade or more. Immiedietely they are able to utilize it early on much more effectively than with PS3, where they needed to learn the ropes first.

So a jump from Uncharted 1 to 3 just won't happen. A jump from Uncharted 2 to 3 is more realistic.
So you're saying that ps4 is already maxed out?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Basically this story is saying that right now they believe that PCs are only using 1/15th of their potential power, which explains quite a lot when you look at PC graphics (high resolution but generally rubbish).

9280886287_19d6cf3596_o.gif

Slavik81

Yeah, at some point those ooold OpenGL 1.0 (or even 2.x) tutorials may actually start to be more harmful than helpful.

That's definitely true, although the state of Intel OpenGL drivers on Linux has until recently meant that OpenGL 2 was the highest you could reasonably expect support for. The hardware was capable of much more, but it was only in the last couple years that Intel added driver support for OpenGL 3.

Even today, it's still a little embarrassing. My Intel Iris Pro requires mesa-10 to be able to create an OpenGL 3.3 context. That's so new that it's not in Ubuntu's mainline repositories yet. By default, you get mesa-9 which will only give you OpenGL 3.0.

I really hope Valve is going to help give mesa a kick in the pants. Under OSX, the same card supports OpenGL 4.1.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Basically this story is saying that right now they believe that PCs are only using 1/15th of their potential power, which explains quite a lot when you look at PC graphics (high resolution but generally rubbish).

rue1t.gif

BONKERS

OpenGL is great and all, but without the Full scene SGSSAA support D3D has from Nvidia (All be it originally untinentional)

I can't support anything that doesn't support decent AA

-dafuq-.gif

This is literally a game from 5 years ago and it still looks amazing with high resolution and HQ AA.
iiUKbMaAhqKTh.png

you CRAY MANG

On Demand

Banned
The jump we've witnessed in PS3 was mostly because it was damn hard to make games from. This time it's anything but. PS4 uses architecture people have been using for decade or more. Immiedietely they are able to utilize it early on much more effectively than with PS3, where they needed to learn the ropes first.

So a jump from Uncharted 1 to 3 just won't happen. A jump from Uncharted 2 to 3 is more realistic.

Again I ask you are you a developer with experience working on consoles? Just because it's easier this time around to code that doesn't mean in any way the PS4's performance capabilities are already used 100%. Developers always find new techniques to get more out of consoles. You seem to forget the 360 was easy to develop for and it had jumps in quality over the past 8 years.

omonimo

Banned
They will get better, but I wouldn't expect huge jumps. What you see at exclusives like Order or Killzone: SF is pretty close to full potential of the platform. Games will get better, but not to the level where they would make those two look bad in comparision.
Oh Good Lord again this shit. It's totally false.

omonimo

Banned

Ps4 architecture is not used for a decade wtf coming from. Pc hasn't gddr5 how main ram.

Durante

OpenGL is great and all, but without the Full scene SGSSAA support D3D has from Nvidia (All be it originally untinentional)

I can't support anything that doesn't support decent AA
OpenGL has full SGSSAA support (Look here), with the added advantage that any program can easily offer it.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Dont talk, show us some shit.
Open gl has been around for decades but i never saw something significant.

Doesn't compute. Either you weren't around for the 90's or your just smoking something fantastic at the moment. OpenGL was late 90's and in to early 2k when glide clearly couldn't keep up. DX only really took over during 8 and 9.

With CryEngine Linux support coming we may actually see this used, before DX12 is released. This is the best part imo, as 1.5-2 years is way too long to be stuck without improvements like these. Too much of a tease.

"they can get 7 to 15 times more performance."

Soo expect maybe 1-3 fps more? We saw what happened with AMD Mantle...

Woah, hold on now...

Naminator

Banned
Again I ask you are you a developer with experience working on consoles? Just because it's easier this time around to code that doesn't mean in any way the PS4's performance capabilities are already used 100%. Developers always find new techniques to get more out of consoles. You seem to forget the 360 was easy to develop for and it had jumps in quality over the past 8 years.

Are you a developer with experience working on consoles?

Because it seems like you know this stuff.

belmonkey

With reduced driver overhead, is it possible that something like a 4GB 7850 could reasonably use all that VRAM without completely crippling performance to do it (I always ask the weird questions)? Or is it simply just a matter of a game actually having high-res textures to make use of the VRAM?

API wars are great, as long as I don't need separate hardware for each API.

Pretty much. The days of having to find out if your card is compatible with the game you want to play were pretty awful and are (thankfully) behind us. Any DirectX/OpenGL competition we see should be centered on hardware that supports both.

This presentation answers the question "how can I do a lot of draw calls in OpenGL with minimum CPU overhead?", and it does so in the most up-to-date fashion.

Yeah, one of the big advantages DirectX has going for it is that devs are already quite familiar with best practices and so many companies are already using the API much closer to its potential. If OpenGL advocates want people to give the API another chance, these kind of details will help a lot.

And i bet source 2.0 will be a great engine for smaller devs too.

I don't see how this could possibly be true. The toolset in Source is quite awful (it's generally considered one of the worst aspect of the engine) and in the last decade the quality of engine toolsets has improved exponentially. I can't imagine any way that Valve could compete with the latest Unity and Unreal offerings on this score given the size of both of those teams, and they don't have a lot of room to get more aggressive on price.

I don't see how this could possibly be true. The toolset in Source is quite awful (it's generally considered one of the worst aspect of the engine) and in the last decade the quality of engine toolsets has improved exponentially. I can't imagine any way that Valve could compete with the latest Unity and Unreal offerings on this score given the size of both of those teams, and they don't have a lot of room to get more aggressive on price.

Well Valve said improved toolchain, easier way to create content is going to be the major improvement for S2....then again I agree with you. They're late to the party and aren't in the same ballpark as those other studios. Modders might have a good time with it though.

Well Valve said improved toolchain, easier way to create content is going to be the major improvement for S2....then again I agree with you. They're late to the party and aren't in the same ballpark as those other studios. Modders might have a good time with it though.

Yeah, I mean, I'm sure Source 2 is much better than Source is, but Unity and Epic each have 300+ people dedicated to improving and supporting their engines. (I can't be sure, but based on overall headcount I wouldn't be surprised if Crytek is in the same ballpark.) With the needs of modern development, I don't think anyone who isn't fully dedicated to this business can compete.

demolitio

Apparently Cerny was lying in his interviews about the hardware as well considering he said there's techniques you won't see utilized right away but it will push the games forward in a few years.

I'm not sure how anyone could think the PS4 is anywhere near done unless you're a very cynical person who wasn't around for any previous generation...

Anyway, this is good news for PC gaming. I really hope this takes off. Hell, just give me more optimized games period when it comes to multiplatform games.

omonimo

Banned
People really need to chill with that gddr5 RAM wanking shit
It's quite tiring read the same things again & again in this kinda of thread. Try to pull out something with a pc with solely a gddr5 & a 32 bit cpu to see what disaster will happens. I hate how a lot of pc fans or whatever they are named (with all respect, I'm not want hurt anyone) they try to reduce the matter. There are a lot of more factor to consider, it's not just chip vs chip from pc to console. Sorry for the ot.

omonimo

Banned
Apparently Cerny was lying in his interviews about the hardware as well considering he said there's techniques you won't see utilized right away but it will push the games forward in a few years.

I'm not sure how anyone could think the PS4 is anywhere near done unless you're a very cynical person who wasn't around for any previous generation...

Anyway, this is good news for PC gaming. I really hope this takes off. Hell, just give me more optimized games period when it comes to multiplatform games.
He hasn't lied, he don't talk of what you said. It's a different matter just to be precise.

No Love

Banned

So you're saying that ps4 is already maxed out?

Yeah, no, don't listen to him. :/

demolitio

He hasn't lied, he don't talk of what you said. It's a different matter just to be precise.

I was being sarcastic if you couldn't tell by the rest of my post and he did specifically talk about that in an interview about the hardware and how there's room to grow. Not sure how he didn't talk of that...

Top Bottom