• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George Lucas Making Changes to Star Wars Saga... Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I think that we'll finally see the originals in their former glory once George Lucas is dead and buried (15-30 years) and some exec realises that it's a good business decision to release the unedited originals. Until then we'll have to ignore these lesser versions of the movies.

DonMigs85

kinoki said:
I think that we'll finally see the originals in their former glory once George Lucas is dead and buried (15-30 years) and some exec realises that it's a good business decision to release the unedited originals. Until then we'll have to ignore these lesser versions of the movies.
The return of Yub-yub

Medalion

Banned
kinoki said:
There is more money to be made by just barely giving what someone wants, than giving the definitive version then having nothing else up your sleeves afterwards... essentially Lucas' model of business.

3rdman

JB1981 said:
Isn't he literally destroying the original ?
There is a very good explanation of the restoration process that was done over at http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/savingstarwars.html and the relevant part is...

Since much of the restoration was color-timing accomplished by YCM Labs, this begs the conclusion--since the negs themselves can't be physically altered, the restoration's final product must have been a new IP with correct coloring. Whenever films are color-timed, it is the Interpositives from which theatrical prints work from--original negatives do not contain any color-timing information, so whenever a release goes back to the original negatives, all the color-timing is lost and the film must be re-timed from scratch all over again. It is doubtful that an entirely new negative was struck from the corrected IP for Star Wars, which might explain why Lucas enacted a second color-timing effort in 2004 when he returned to the original negatives.

Had the film remained like this, we would have a restored version of Star Wars, perfectly matching the original release but with pristine quality, even to the point where it was better than what could have been possible back then (as with the higher quality optical transitions). However, this was only part of the process of making what was eventually called "The Special Edition." ILM was working on many dozens of new shots, and an even larger amount of enhanced shots, using digital effects to re-do, expand, re-edit and otherwise alter many scenes in the film. When these were completed, they apparently were printed onto film and re-cut into the negative, replacing the original negs, which were undoubtedly put back into storage. As a result, the negative for Star Wars is filled with CGI-laden modern alterations. When Lucas says that the original version physically does not exist, this is what he really means--the negative is conformed to the Special Edition. Of course, it would be very easy to simply put the original pieces back and conform it to the original version, or use the separation masters and IPs, or simply scan the old pieces for a digital restoration, but I digress.

when presenting PR maven Sid Ganis with an award back in 2007, Lucas publicly stated, "Sid is the reason why The Empire Strikes Back is always written about as the best of the films, when it actually was the worst one."

Nice one George.

*chortle*

Xun

richiek said:
More confirmation that the lightsabers in the ROTJ duel have been fixed:

sabers.png
If the original films came out with improvements like these I'd be more than happy.

Even other minor improvements like taking away the "force kick".

Xun said:
If the original films came out with improvements like these I'd be more than happy.

Guess the slope is way too slippery for Lucas to comprehend.

Xun said:

I was never quite sure what's happening in that scene with Luke kicking Vader down the stairs... Is Vader bouncing off the stairs with his lightsaber?

Has the term "Lucastrophe" (luh-cass-tro-fee) been trademarked yet? If not, I'm claiming it now.

Here's the definition: An egregious act perpetrated by the creator of a work that alienates fans and greatly diminishes the quality of the work. Typically results in online petitions and rampant pre-order cancellations.

Here's it being used in a sentence:
"The new, extended 24-minute version of Jedi Rocks is a fucking Lucastrophe. I'm cancelling my goddamn pre-order."

Birbo

professor_t said:
Has the term "Lucastrophe" (luh-cass-tro-fee) been trademarked yet? If not, I'm claiming it now.

Here's the definition: An egregious act perpetrated by the creator of a work that alienates fans and greatly diminishes the quality of the work. Typically results in online petitions and rampant pre-order cancellations.

Here's it being used in a sentence:
"The new, extended 24-minute version of Jedi Rocks is a fucking Lucastrophe. I'm cancelling my goddamn pre-order."

Well done. Send that in to Urban Dictionary before someone else does.

Zabka

Xun said:
The lightsabers in ROTJ were actually messed up in the DVD releases. The original films never had this problem.

Xun

DiipuSurotu said:
I was never quite sure what's happening in that scene with Luke kicking Vader down the stairs... Is Vader bouncing off the stairs with his lightsaber?
Not sure to be honest, I was referring to this one:

http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/force-kick.gif

Zabka said:
The lightsabers in ROTJ were actually messed up in the DVD releases. The original films never had this problem.
Oh really? Surprised that passed QC. :/

Also what about the thin lightsabers in the first film? Were they ever sorted out?

mattp

i don't know if it's hilarious or pathetically sad that so much useless shit can be added to these movies, while something as simple as the color of a fucking lightsaber is still fucked up

it's a straight white line with a red/blue/green glow

guess we still don't have the technology for that. at least rock technology has advanced, though

mattp said:
i don't know if it's hilarious or pathetically sad that so much useless shit can be added to these movies, while something as simple as the color of a fucking lightsaber is still fucked up

it's a straight white line with a red/blue/green glow

No no, the originals were wrong. They're supposed to be uniform blue and pink with the colours bleeding into each other, just like George envisioned them all those years ago. It was too expensive to colour them in back then though, hence the white bit in the middle.

Chuckie

mattp said:

It's both hilarious and pathetically sad.
Even more so because you have like a million shitty homemade youtube movies with better looking lightsabers.

Nizz

Night_Trekker said:
Earlier in the week I ran into this quote on the Jurassic Park Wikipedia page, and I nearly lost my lunch. On seeing the first CGI T-Rex animatic:

As George Lucas watched the demonstration alongside of them, his eyes began to tear up. "It was like one of those moments in history, like the invention of the light bulb or the first telephone call," he said. "A major gap had been crossed, and things were never going to be the same.

FUCK YOU, GEORGE. FUUUUUCKKKKK YOOOOOUUUUUUU.
I'm personally happy with the advancement of CGI. It was one of the biggest jumps in effects to come along in a while. The CGI is not the problem. It's how you use it. I feel like without that breakthrough moment in Jurassic Park, we couldn't have had stuff like Davy Jones, the Na'Vi, the apes in "Rise".

Sibylus

Banned
Tabris said:
I would love to see someone like Peter Jackson (or a director/writer team that can handle 6 movies) be given the rights to remake Star Wars 1 to 6. Let him change it up and just keep the general outline and theme, i.e. Anakin's fall and redemption.
Excise Dooku and Grievous and we've got ourselves a deal.

VNZ

Barberetti said:
No no, the originals were wrong. They're supposed to be uniform blue and pink with the colours bleeding into each other, just like George envisioned them all those years ago. It was too expensive to colour them in back then though, hence the white bit in the middle.
That would never look good though. Anyone who have played around with video fx stuff realizes that without the white hot glow through the middle the light sabers would look like popsicles.

mattp

wait, what? but the blu-ray release added the white back in that the dvd's lack
wouldn't that mean that's how they intended them?

either way, it looks better w/ the white

Chuckie

VNZ said:
That would never look good though. Anyone who have played around with video fx stuff realizes that without the white hot glow through the middle the light sabers would look like popsicles.

mattp said:

I think he was being sarcastic.

apana

I was just watching a clip of ROTJ Sarlaac Pit, does it now have a beak? Seven hells, don't tell me this was in the original.

mattp

apana said:
I was just watching a clip of ROTJ Sarlaac Pit, does it now have a beak? Seven hells, don't tell me this was in the original.
beak got added in the special edition or 2004 edition, i forget which

Seda

apana said:

That was added in the 1997 Special edition. That change I was fine with.

purple cobra said:
I'm personally happy with the advancement of CGI. It was one of the biggest jumps in effects to come along in a while. The CGI is not the problem. It's how you use it. I feel like without that breakthrough moment in Jurassic Park, we couldn't have had stuff like Davy Jones, the Na'Vi, the apes in "Rise".
CGI to me only really only works well with movies that are only CGI, like anything by Pixar or a lot of Dreamworks' better stuff.

Once you introduce CGI into live action stuff, many things that are supposed to come off as exciting and special lose a lot of credibility due to the disconnect from the real world, and there's no longer the element of working around limitations and having to make up for them with well directed action, well constructed sets, and compelling story.

Excise Dooku and Grievous and we've got ourselves a deal.
I've never gotten into any of Peter Jackson's stuff, but he sounds like the right man for the job, actually.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I knew I loved the Star Wars movies, but figured I was more a fringe fan than a dedicated fanboy...but reading about all of these changes actually makes me mad.

I didn't realize how badly I wanted the originals unedited in any fashion and released until George kept muckin' with it. Leave that shit alone.

The sad thing is that I can only see two reasons for even doing this:
- Saying something to the effect of "fully remastered, never before seen footage" on the box to sell more copies
- George honestly and truly is not happy with the films as they are

The reason to do any of this is selfish regardless. The people that love Star Wars to death don't want anything to do with most or any of these changes. These people will buy the new versions of the movies regardless.

To me, Star Wars is now a major piece of popular culture that is owned by the people, not by George. Legally of course that's not true, but anyone should be able to recognize the spirit of that statement and agree.

Risette

A Good Citizen
RubxQub said:
To me, Star Wars is now a major piece of popular culture that is owned by the people, not by George. Legally of course that's not true, but anyone should be able to recognize the spirit of that statement and agree.
Well, you're not the only one who's felt that way:
George Lucas said:

Tence said:
I think he was being sarcastic.

I was.

mattp said:

From what I gather so far, the lightsabre effects in Empire and Jedi have been partially fixed, but there are still fuck-ups everywhere. No idea about A New Hope. So in answer to your previous post, yeah pretty pathetic really that someone like Lucas can let half finished shit like that be released every few years, which just goes to show that he has absolutely zero fucking pride in his work.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that every once in a while he thinks of a new idea and adds it to a list, and after a few years, just hands the list to ILM and says "Add that stuff and shove it out the door", without even bothering to check it first.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
140.85 said:
Ugh SERIOUSLY? I honestly don't blame anyone for boycotting at this point. George Lucas has to realize he's destroying the integrity of his films forever with crap like this. I guess Pepsi pays well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom