• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George Lucas Making Changes to Star Wars Saga... Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glass Joe

mrklaw said:
really? We see the same actor just a short while earlier when Vader is unmasked. Yes he's disfigured but I think its pretty recognisable as the same guy. And then there is the whole 'we've seen obi-wan as a ghost before, yoda disappeared when he died so he's a ghost now, that other guy is probably Anakin'

it all joins up perfectly well. Only Lucas seems to think you need to telegraph and join up things to be so simplistically explained as to basically insult everyone watching.

every fucking character is literally connected to everyone else up there on screen (very annoying in the prequel trilogy). Completely unnecessary, we can fill in blanks just fine.

I agree and think the scene is fine the way it was. Should I have specified that when I first saw it, I was referring to when I was probably 6 or 7-years old? As an adult, if I saw it for the first time, I'd have gotten it. I still might not recognize the ghost Anikin by his face, but I'd understand who he was by context.

I was just sayin' hey, maybe that's why George felt the need to tinker with it. Not that he SHOULD have. And of course, him doing so just confuses the matter further. I re-watched the end of the ORIGINAL last night and yeah, it seems clear enough.

Dead Man

Seda said:
That was added in the 1997 Special edition. That change I was fine with.
That was when I fist started hating Lucas. That fucking beak is so stupid and unneeded. If they had made the tentacles more aggressive that would have been cool, but a damn beak?

Snaku

Banned
Medalion said:
Yes, yes he is.

He takes one of the most laughed at things from Episode 3,... and that's saying something, and doubles it ups in ROTJ

It's like poetry, y'know they rhyme.

Dead Man said:
That was when I fist started hating Lucas. That fucking beak is so stupid and unneeded. If they had made the tentacles more aggressive that would have been cool, but a damn beak?
The worst part is that the CGI doesn't mesh the slightest bit well with the original image.

apana

Dead Man said:

This is one of those ideas that seems better in your head.

Sarlacc-BTM-DB.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
PhoncipleBone said:
I think the thing that bothers me the most about the changes is that there are so many other glaring mistakes and errors that would benefit from fixes, but he ignores them.

It's like he only changes things that were a result of other people's work. He is re-claiming his toys.

Seriously the guy makes it look like he's always been stuck in his early teens.

antonz

dont worry guys he totally had the time to fix all the errors see. Nice Blue lightsaber. im surprised he had time to insert vaders voice fixing all the errors
23ua06a.png

Sanjuro

Aigis said:
The 2006 DVDs have the original theatrical cut on the second disc for each movie.
Are they actually? I thought they were the mid-90s release prior to the special editions? Either way the quality is terrible.

Nizz

UrbanRats said:
http://i.min.us/iqSBGNUcPLs0L.jpg[IMG]
Newest edition.[/QUOTE]
Haha, that's great! :D

[QUOTE=antonz]dont worry guys he totally had the time to fix all the errors see. Nice Blue lightsaber. im surprised he had time to insert vaders voice fixing all the errors[/QUOTE]
Was this pic grabbed from the actual Blu-ray? If so, that's total fail. Adding out of place audio where it's not needed but still overlooking glaring effects that need work. SMH...

Risette

A Good Citizen
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Are they actually? I thought they were the mid-90s release prior to the special editions? Either way the quality is terrible.
They're sourced from the Laserdisc transfer (not an LD rip, but the same transfer used) which was the non-edited theatrical version. Other than the title in the scroll for ANH afaik.

And the quality isn't good but it's still better than VHS :p Plus it doesn't degrade etc.

Snaku

Banned
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:

Better than those VHS tapes I'd imagine.

antonz

purple cobra said:
Haha, that's great! :D

Was this pic grabbed from the actual Blu-ray? If so, that's total fail. Adding out of place audio where it's not needed but still overlooking glaring effects that need work. SMH...
That is from the leak yeah. a few sites have been tearing them apart. A New Hope still has basically every single lightsaber flaw in tact. At points the blades basically disappear in the duel between Obi Wan and vader, Colors are wrong etc.

They bullshitted back in 2010 that they had been working on these for a few years already by that point. Its obvious they didnt do shit

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:

The quality is far better than VHS, and the mid nineties version was uncut, but just had a digital remastering that fixed a couple flaws. The best last uncut release.

Sanjuro

Snaku said:
Better than those VHS tapes I'd imagine.
There were a couple laserdisc transfers. I'm not foolish enough to think VHS is better quality, I'm talking about a release with the least amount of changes to the product.

Sanjuro

Dead Man said:
I'm glad I have the 1995 VHS box set. I just need a way to transfer the VHS to digital :(

xu3eJ.png
That is the set I'm referring to. They made changes to this one as well. Sound effects and some dialog from the original releases I have seen.

Dead Man

Gary Whitta said:
Ah, that's what I used to have too.
From the back of the box:
George Lucas said:
The appeal of Star Wars has gone beyond anything I could ever have imagined. I am pleased that for the final video release of Star Wars in its original version, we can present it with the best sound and picture quality yet available, thanks to THX digital mastering.

In the years to come I hope you, your children, and your children's children will enjoy not only this trilogy but also the adventures yet to come in the continually unfolding Star Wars universe.

FUCK YOU GEORGE.

womp

Those 2006 DVD's of the originals untarnished are also *not* anamorphic if I am not mistaken. One of the reasons I haven't snagged them, regardless of their source.

Dead Man said:
I'm glad I have the 1995 VHS box set. I just need a way to transfer the VHS to digital :(

xu3eJ.png

Drools.

Went sifting through my collection of DVDs and VHS. DVD Special Edition:(

VHS the 2000 version with updated effects minus the Tainted Ending for ROTJ. Guess should be happy with that.

womp

Never forget....

r7e5D.jpg

Back when (Circa 1992ish), this is what introduced me to 'widecreen' movies. Amazing box set and the best way to watch these movies, just not the best media to do it with. :/

At the time Suncoast had a separate small half a wall section of VHS movies called 'Letterbox'.

Dead Man said:

xu3eJ.png

I had this one. It was all I wanted for Christmas back in the early 90s. I need to find this boxset. It is in storage somewhere.

P1010018.JPG

P1010019.JPG

EDIT: Shit. Beaten as I searched for images.

Nizz

antonz said:
That is from the leak yeah. a few sites have been tearing them apart. A New Hope still has basically every single lightsaber flaw in tact. At points the blades basically disappear in the duel between Obi Wan and vader, Colors are wrong etc.

They bullshitted back in 2010 that they had been working on these for a few years already by that point. Its obvious they didnt do shit
Wow. Unbelievable...

Dead Man

womp said:
Never forget....

http://i.imgur.com/r7e5D.jpg[IMG]

Back when (Circa 1992ish), this is what introduced me to 'widecreen' movies. Amazing box set and the best way to watch these movies, just not the best media to do it with. :/

At the time Suncoast had a separate small half a wall section of VHS movies called 'Letterbox'.
[/QUOTE][QUOTE=PhoncipleBone]I had this one. It was all I wanted for Christmas back in the early 90s. I need to find this boxset. It is in storage somewhere.

[img]http://wjhent.com/Images/Store/rh051611b/P1010018.JPG[img]

[IMG]http://wjhent.com/Images/Store/rh051611b/P1010019.JPG[IMG]

EDIT: Shit. Beaten as I searched for images.[/QUOTE]
Damn that looks nice.

womp

PhoncipleBone said:
I had this one. It was all I wanted for Christmas back in the early 90s. I need to find this boxset. It is in storage somewhere.

EDIT: Shit. Beaten as I searched for images.

It was a Christmas present for me. $125 retail at the time. Crazy. heh

womp said:
It was a Christmas present for me. $125 retail at the time. Crazy. heh

Same. I had no idea what letterbox meant at the time since I was only 12 or so. But once I started watching the set I started seeing tons of stuff that I had never seen on any other version (the good ole CBS Fox pan and scan versions). From that point on, I made it a point to find letterbox films. Paying attention to the shape of tvs and screens at the theater, I was able to figure out what was being chopped. It was hard to find out info like that in the pre internet days.

linkboy

ryutaro's mama said:
I still have all my SW VHS releases.

Do they even make VCRs anymore?

I haven't owned one in YEARS...

You can still find DVD\VHS combo units. I think they're about $70-$100.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom