• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George Lucas Making Changes to Star Wars Saga... Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanDG

Summary Man said:
Can we all agree that the 1997 Special Editions are the best versions of the movie? They added some much-needed space shots, made some nice minor adjustments (such as the back of the rancor leg in Jedi), and made some of the environments nicer to look at (Bespin being the best change).

Sure, there are some duds (the music scene in Jabba's palace), but as a whole, I think the Special Editions made some really cool and much-needed changes. I actually like the new Sarlaac. It's actually menacing now instead of just being a spiky hole in the ground.

It started the whole 'Hans fired first' fiasco, so no... It's not the best version of the movie. That whole sequence - as innocuous as it seems - changes the entire tone and attitude of Hans Solo as a character, IMO.

Tobor

AbsoluteZero said:
But I thought Han was supposed to be speaking to Jabba in the hangar the Falcon's in. If he's a completely different species two movies later that makes you go "Wait, what? Did who did Han speak to in the first movie?"

That scene as originally filmed with the human actor was never in the released film before the first SE.

Mr. Sam

RyanDG said:
It started the whole 'Hans fired first' fiasco, so no... It's not the best version of the movie. That whole sequence - as innocuous as it seems - changes the entire tone and attitude of Hans Solo as a character, IMO.
Han. Han.

RyanDG

Mr. Sam said:
Han. Han.

My bad... Must have this guy:

gl1zE.jpg

On my mind. :p

AbsoluteZero said:
Gotcha. All I've ever seen was the Special Edition. I distinctly remember seeing a human stand-in during the hangar sequence in the making up bit at the beginning.
Yeah it was never in the original version, I always presumed because Lucas recognized that the scene was redundant in light of the Greedo scene preceding it. But I guess he decided it was worth putting back in just because it was an excuse for a new CG gimmick, retconning Jabba into the old footage. Classic case of gimmickry trumping what actually makes sense for the film.

JB1981

Gary Whitta said:
You've taken your first step into a larger world.

hopefully the sellers get them to me ... it was kind of a drunk impulse purchase .. fuck it .. they are some of my favorite movies and i want the unaltered versions for safe keeping

i was born in 87, the first time i watched the films were on old VHS casettes that occasionally warped because it had been rented so much. My brothers are in their 30's and they watched the films at the pictures when they first came out.

Only reason i wanted to watch the movies was because i bought an oooold rancor toy at a carboot sale (flea market?). Old brown piece of shit but i fucking fell in love with it. You can imagine how i lost my shit when he finally came on the screen in the third film and ate the gammorean guard. (had that toy as well)

rancor-front.jpg

It was on my birthday that i came home from school and my mother had baked me a cake in the shape of the battle of tatooine. With the pit of carkoon pressed in the middle. And little micromachines toys fighting it out with the skiffs and everything.

The best present though was i finally got all 3 films on video for myself, the newly digitally mastered versions. I can barely remember what i did yesterday but all this star wars crap is still fresh in my head.

Tobor

Gary Whitta said:
Yeah it was never in the original version, I always presumed because Lucas recognized that the scene was redundant in light of the Greedo scene preceding it. But I guess he decided it was worth putting back in just because it was an excuse for a new CG gimmick, retconning Jabba into the old footage. Classic case of gimmickry trumping what actually makes sense for the film.

That scene will never work, no matter how many times they try to fix it. The actor is just too small and mobile compared to what Jabba looked like in Jedi. A total waste of time and effort.

Summary Man said:
Can we all agree that the 1997 Special Editions are the best versions of the movie? They added some much-needed space shots, made some nice minor adjustments (such as the back of the rancor leg in Jedi), and made some of the environments nicer to look at (Bespin being the best change).

No.

That was my summary by the way. Saved me the hassle of typing the whole thing out.

Sure, there are some duds (the music scene in Jabba's palace), but as a whole, I think the Special Editions made some really cool and much-needed changes. I actually like the new Sarlaac. It's actually menacing now instead of just being a spiky hole in the ground.

Unless you've seen Little Shop of Horrors, in which case you expect it to suddenly burst into song at any moment.

Tobor said:
That scene will never work, no matter how many times they try to fix it. The actor is just too small and mobile compared to what Jabba looked like in Jedi. A total waste of time and effort.
I agree that it looks bad, but for me the bigger problem is that from a story perspective it just doesn't need to be there.

JB1981

hmmm .. i forgot that there was a 1997 edition and a 2004 edition. i could deal with 1997 because Jedi doesn't include Anakin apparition. Did 1997 have the muppet number at jabbas palace?

Tobor

Gary Whitta said:
I agree that it looks bad, but for me the bigger problem is that from a story perspective it just doesn't need to be there.

Definitely. It doesn't move the story forward, and it doesn't work as fan service. It's a total dud.

Dead

well not really...yet
JB1981 said:
hmmm .. i forgot that there was a 1997 edition and a 2004 edition. i could deal with 1997 because Jedi doesn't include Anakin apparition. Did 1997 have the muppet number at jabbas palace?
yes

Dead Man

alr1ghtstart said:
These are the guys Lucas is shitting on the most. Their groundbreaking visual effects work is getting "drawn over" by Lucas.
Indeed. Tippets creature work and go motion in particular were awesome.

Medalion

Banned
If u don't care about the changes, that's fine, but don't let embittered star wars fans upset over the changes try to convert you to their cause to make their numbers bigger

Tobor

JB1981 said:

97 had problems. The dancing number in Jedi, the removal of Yub Nub at the end of Jedi, the worthless Jabba CGI we just discussed, Greedo shooting first...etc. There's also oddball stuff like adding a shot of Vader getting on his shuttle in ESB, which serve no purpose.

Cheerilee

KittenMaster said:
I'm 90% certain this is the case.

"So we have Han Solo in the table, right? And the green alien has his blaster pointed at him. To make the scene more exciting we have them both shoot at each other and we'd show off our special effects."

"Hmm, the scene doesn't seem to work. Perhaps if we only have our hero shoot, being the quicker draw like in Westerns?"

"No, I REALLY want to see the blaster shot. I just want to SEE IT."

"Yeah, no."

":mad:"
I'm pretty sure that modern video effects and auto tune have reached the point where Lucas can remove Harrison Ford's pesky "I know" ad-lib and replace it with the "I love you too" that was in the original script.

Snaku

Banned
Gary Whitta said:

Never mind that Jabba would have had Han shot the second he stepped on him.

Anth0ny

ruby_onix said:
I'm pretty sure that modern video effects and auto tune have reached the point where Lucas can remove Harrison Ford's pesky "I know" ad-lib and replace it with the "I love you too" that was in the original script.

Since we need at least one major, controversial change every time these films are re-released, I'm gonna bet that for the 3D version of Empire, we either lose the "I know" or Yoda gets CG'd.

yodas2.jpg

Jarmel

Banned
ruby_onix said:

That's for the 3D blu-ray collection coming in 2018.

Morn

Banned
Tobor said:

Remove Jabba, have Boba Fett place a holoprojector on the ground, Han talks to a hologram of Jabba thus fixing the problem of him walking around it. (not my idea, my friend's).

Morn

Banned
Anth0ny said:
Since we need at least one major, controversial change every time these films are re-released, I'm gonna bet that for the 3D version of Empire, we either lose the "I know" or Yoda gets CG'd.

yodas2.jpg

They've always said they would never replace the puppet Yoda in ESB and Jedi as they were trying to make the CG one look more like it. That's why the puppet was replaced in Ep1.

Tobor

Morn said:
Remove Jabba, have Boba Fett place a holoprojector on the ground, Han talks to a hologram of Jabba thus fixing the problem of him walking around it. (not my idea, my friend's).

Better yet, lose the scene entirely, since as Gary mentioned, it's completely redundant and unnecessary.

Was only able to find Empire and Jedi separately. I need to find ANH. Or at least a friend with the set and rip it to an h.264 file. I have my VHS set somewhere, but no working VCR.

Dead Man

PhoncipleBone said:
Was only able to find Empire and Jedi separately. I need to find ANH. Or at least a friend with the set and rip it to an h.264 file. I have my VHS set somewhere, but no working VCR.
I've just tried ripping my dvds in handbrake and it keeps saying they are copy protected. :(

Dead Man said:
I've just tried ripping my dvds in handbrake and it keeps saying they are copy protected. :(

Gotta have VLC plug in or something. Whatever plug in I have lets me rip all my DVDs. Have ripped nearly all my TV shows.

Dead Man

PhoncipleBone said:
Gotta have VLC plug in or something. Whatever plug in I have lets me rip all my DVDs. Have ripped nearly all my TV shows.
I've never had it not work before. I'll look that up though.
Aigis said:
Tried using DVD Decrypter?
Nope, I'll check that out too.

linkboy

Anth0ny said:

yodas2.jpg

If Lucas even gets the idea to even think about doing that, I hope Frank Oz goes over and kicks his ass all across Lucas's ranch.

Branduil

Morn said:
They've always said they would never replace the puppet Yoda in ESB and Jedi as they were trying to make the CG one look more like it. That's why the puppet was replaced in Ep1.
Lucas says a lot of things.

Ranger X

RoboPlato said:
It sounds like all of these changes will be for the better. Let's hope Han shoots first again and Hayden is no longer Vader's force ghost at the end of RotJ.

That and that Luke and Leia kiss should comeback too. I mean, I hope.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
MakeMKV
I use it to rip my blu-rays.
Should work on dvd's too i think.
Works for both Windows and Mac. OSX

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Tobor said:
You do the only rational thing. You tell your kids that there are no prequels, and anyone who tells them otherwise is a liar.

they are already aware of then from lego star wars. I've done my bit by showing them IV-VI first.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Tobor said:

plus he's way too small in ANH, and mobile. In ROTJ its good that we see this big, fat, bloated corpulent blob with his court at his feet. But only a short time earlier he's 'walking' around in random towns?

Dead Man

Veidt said:
MakeMKV
I use it to rip my blu-rays.
Should work on dvd's too i think.
Works for both Windows and Mac. OSX
Thanks, this ripped it great, then I used handbrake to make it smaller. Cheers for the tip!

Hylian7

I just read about the changes. Why the fuck are they doing that?! George Lucas should never be allowed to touch Star Wars again. Is it honestly that hard to just put the original fucking movies on Bluray?! Hell if you want to go monkeying with all this crap, just put both versions on them, original and "remastered". That way if we want to watch it without "No. Nooooooooo", we can.

On top of that, it's a BLU RAY the smallest one is 25GB, USE THAT SPACE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom