• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George Lucas Making Changes to Star Wars Saga... Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
so for all these fixes Lucas can't fix the fact that the stars in the emperor's room at the end of ROTJ are in-focus when the windows that block them are clearly OUT of focus?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Rabbitwork said:
so for all these fixes Lucas can't fix the fact that the stars in the emperor's room at the end of ROTJ are in-focus when the windows that block them are clearly OUT of focus?

second Death Star has ultra optical glass. The stars are out fo focus, but at the opposite focal length of the glass (per distance) and the result is that the stars are back in focus. Obviously.

Furret

Banned
DiipuSurotu said:
Some people think the new dialogue in the Vader/Emperor scene is a bit unnecessary and alters Vader's story arc a bit. (I don't think many people prefer the original face of the Emperor though...)

The dialogue in that scene is awful and spells things out far too much.

And the new bit with his shuttle on Bespin is hilariously unnecessary (not only does it ruin the opening shot of ROTJ by revealing the shuttle before it, but the idea that anyone was confused as to where Vader had gone is insulting. He said 'bring my shuttle', as a five year old I could work out the rest).

And of course the Luke scream when he falls at the end of the fight is moronically stupid (it sounds awful and why would he be screaming if he'd chosen to jump off himself?).

apana

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
If you change it at all then why not have her there, is it some golf club style rules?

Amidala wasn't a Jedi, WTF at you and George wanting to include her in the last shot?

ryutaro's mama said:
I heard that Lucas toyed around with idea of having Amidala standing next to Hayden in the final shot.

Oh George.

If I'd heard that a week ago, I wouldn't have believed it. But now? Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised.

Edit: On second thoughts, I would have believed it before a week ago.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Furret said:
The dialogue in that scene is awful and spells things out far too much.

And the new bit with his shuttle on Bespin is hilariously unnecessary (not only does it ruin the opening shot of ROTJ by revealing the shuttle before it, but the idea that anyone was confused as to where Vader had gone is insulting. He said 'bring my shuttle', as a five year old I could work out the rest).

And of course the Luke scream when he falls at the end of the fight is moronically stupid (it sounds awful and why would he be screaming if he'd chosen to jump off himself?).
That was cut back out of the 2004 editions... and it's presumably not on the blu ray, either

Furret

Banned
BocoDragon said:
That was cut back out of the 2004 editions... and it's presumably not on the blu ray, either

Really? That's interesting, is that the only tacit admission that one of the changes was for the worse?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Furret said:
Really? That's interesting, is that the only tacit admission that one of the changes was for the worse?
Basically.

And the constant editing to the Han/Greedo scene on every release displays a huge insecurity in the film-making process... There are now 4 different versions of the scene!

Furret

Banned
BocoDragon said:
Basically.

And the constant editing to the Han/Greedo scene on every release displays a huge insecurity in the film-making process... There are now 4 different versions of the scene!

Madness.

And yet the only change to Empire I would've welcome was the shuttle that Needa takes to meet Vader, which is clearly just a TIE Bomber. I thought it would've been neat to see a new design, an everyday deep space shuttle not the atmospheric Lambda one, but apparently that sort of nerdish subtlety is not on Lucas' wavelength.

Jin

Teh Hamburglar said:
Lucas had no fights in the films. They've become dances with no weight or emotion.

HbTy0.gif

I remember watching that part in the theater and wondered what the hell was the point of that. Is this something Jedi Masters actually teach?

Hadoken said:
I remember watching that part in the theater and wondered what the hell was the point of that. Is this something Jedi Masters actually teach?
Maybe they're using the Force to push away each other's arms, resulting in these bizarre non-attacks.

Yeah, who am I kidding....

Hadoken said:

It was meant to be like a Western-style draw-- they spin them until one of them strikes and the other better be damned ready for it. In this case, they're practically equals.

mrkgoo

DiipuSurotu said:
Maybe they're using the Force to push away each other's arms, resulting in these bizarre non-attacks.

Yeah, who am I kidding....
I always saw that moment as going to strike but not striking on both sides. Like feinting.

Jarmel

Banned
Hadoken said:

My guess is it's trying to psych the enemy out in that the enemy doesn't know where you're going to attack from.

McNum

Jarmel said:
My guess is it's trying to psych the enemy out in that the enemy doesn't know where you're going to attack from.
Or in this case, that they DO know where they're going to attack from. Jedi can see the immediate future, so if all your visions tell you that striking now will get you killed, then you don't. This is just the silly variant of what happens when both duelists see any attack as a mistake at the moment. It's the same reason that lightsaber fights turn into endless series of parries until that single hit is dealt. At least that's how I saw it.

Jin

brandonh83 said:
It was meant to be like a Western-style draw-- they spin them until one of them strikes and the other better be damned ready for it. In this case, they're practically equals.

Makes sense, but it still looks weird. When I first saw it I thought they were showing off how cool they were to each other. Maybe it's a combination of flair and quickdraw or something.

Hadoken said:
You can always tell a bullshit lightsaber fight (like most fan-made ones) by looking at how many attacks would actually land a blow if they weren't blocked. In the prequels most of the attacks are purely for show, aimed at the opposing lightsaber or nothing at all rather than the body of the opponent. The above gif is pretty much the perfect example.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
You know that "I have the upper ground!" scene? Why didn't Anakin jump to the side, a couple of meters away from Obi Wan, instead of jumping over him? Then they would have been on equal ground:p

Jarmel

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
You know that "I have the upper ground!" scene? Why didn't Anakin jump to the side, a couple of meters away from Obi Wan, instead of jumping over him? Then they would have been on equal ground:p

Pride.

Lebron

ryutaro's mama said:
I heard that Lucas toyed around with idea of having Amidala standing next to Hayden in the final shot.

Oh George.
Should have put the whole crew in there while he was at it. Mom, Qui-Gon, Darth Maul, Kit Fisto. It's a celebration.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I think the only really good fight in the prequels was the Qui-Gon vs. Maul one on Tatooine. They really did seem to be out to kill each other rather than dancing with each other.

Chuckie

Teh Hamburglar said:
Lucas had no fights in the films. They've become dances with no weight or emotion.

HbTy0.gif

lol...this shit is mesmerizing... I can't stop watching it. I never even noticed this beatiful choreography

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Another stupid thing is how Qui Gon came back as a ghost to teach Yoda and Obi Wan the secret to coming back from the dead in Jedi-ghost form, and yet Anakin can pull off the same trick at the end of RoTJ.

The reason George Lucas shoe-horned the idea that it's not a common Jedi power and that only Qui Gon figured it out and taught it to Yoda and Obi Wan was because of how there could have been hundreds of Jedi ghosts in RotS and afterwards, just going around and talking to people and shit.

But no, Qui Gon magically came back and told Yoda and Obi Wan a secret.

Most people forget that scene.

Jarmel

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
Another stupid thing is how Qui Gon came back as a ghost to teach Yoda and Obi Wan the secret to coming back from the dead in Jedi-ghost form, and yet Anakin can pull off the same trick at the end of RoTJ.

The reason George Lucas shoe-horned the idea that it's not a common Jedi power and that only Qui Gon figured it out and taught it to Yoda and Obi Wan was because of how there could have been hundreds of Jedi ghosts in RotS and afterwards, just going around and talking to people and shit.

But no, Qui Gon magically came back and told Yoda and Obi Wan a secret.

Most people forget that scene.

Supposedly Vader learned it from Palpatine. Sith were also able to become Force Ghosts.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Jarmel said:
Supposedly Vader learned it from Palpatine. Sith were also able to become Force Ghosts.

Oh come on. Why didn't Palpatine come and fuck up the Ewok party then? Pls, Vader is surprised when Obi Wan disappears. Anyway it's dumb.

antonz said:
[IG]http://i55.tinypic.com/2f038e9.jpg[/IG]

Tee Hee, kinda funny given what Pegg's opinion on the new BR release.

My final word on the SW Blu-Rays. When they hit the shelves, just say NOOOOOOOOOO!
Wasn't going to buy them anyway. Not even going to watch borrowed copies now. The only thing I'd buy is the original, original three on blu.
Always loved Vader's wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin's ghost. What a fucking shame.
Can't believe it still bothers me. It's like getting upset because a dead relative's corpse has rotted a bit more.
I wonder if George Lucas will ever replace himself with CGI. He should do. He's a muppet.

Chuckie

Ether_Snake said:
Oh come on. Why didn't Palpatine come and fuck up the Ewok party then? Pls, Vader is surprised when Obi Wan disappears. Anyway it's dumb.

Well in the OT it was something that just happened to a true Jedi. Anakin became a ghost too because he was 'redeemed' when he killed the emperor.

Then the prequels happened and everything had to be explained..midichlorians, jedi-ghost shit, droids with erased memories, a baby with open eyes 'remembering' her mother etc.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Hadoken said:
I decided this scene was to demonstrate how feeble the Jedi had become.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
will the release of the blurays mean that fan editors have a better source to work from to create proper versions?

Noooooo! would be piss to edit out of ROTJ for instance.

vordhosbn

Banned
I keep meaning to watch Star Wars films with the expectation of being blown away but I'm done with this franchise after watching ROTS.

George Lucas is the biggest fluke in history of cinema. The man can't direct a single good scene.

jaxword

eggerland said:
God no, let's just ask him to be a better director/writer instead.

We all wanted an epic final fight and he gave us the most stupid and boring saber fight in ROTS. Long and soulless.

edit: Beaten

Yes, but that pic is of Maul and Qui-Gon, who actually seemed to be attacking and not dancing.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Veidt said:
Strange thing is, as people around me kept telling me I was wrong for using regardless, I decided to try out 'irregardless' ( and was surprised spell-check recognised it.)- and thought I was in the wrong the whole time.

And now I found out I was right all along!
*star trek head asplode.gif*

I also noticed the spell check didn't try to correct it heh

And this is why I hate people that defend this crap. "Oh they're psyching it out! That's an important tactic you know!" It goes too far in trying to make light saber fights look flashy, while forgetting about the aspect of actually fighting. Fake outs can be conveyed (and would likely be better conveyed) without having to without over relying on light show and baton tricks.

Also, I remember in the Trilogy it was extremely impressive that a Jedi was able to block blaster shots on a consistent basis, because it looked like an actual skill, while the prequels they just twirl their light saber and it deflects the shot without even trying.
Or in this case, that they DO know where they're going to attack from. Jedi can see the immediate future, so if all your visions tell you that striking now will get you killed, then you don't. This is just the silly variant of what happens when both duelists see any attack as a mistake at the moment. It's the same reason that lightsaber fights turn into endless series of parries until that single hit is dealt. At least that's how I saw it.
This would make sense...

If both parties shown quite a bit of hesitation and pause and actually kept their guard up. The light saber twirling in the .gif leaves both characters open to simply being stabbed and does nothing to tell the viewer that they're being careful. I don't think the intent was ever to display fake outs and feigning, but just to simply look as new and shiny as possible and make people forget about the older movies.

Westerns are freaking stupid then, if that's the justification.
I haven't seen many westerns yet, but the ones I have seen don't have this sort of dueling.

antonz

The problem is Lucas decided to change how he viewed lightsabers from OT to Prequels. He used to envision sabers as Giant broadswords etc with epic duels between knights. Then all of a sudden to appeal to the all flash no substance crowd sabers became glow sticks at a rave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom