• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George Lucas Making Changes to Star Wars Saga... Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkgoo

apana said:
Before ROTJ starts we should be able to select which characters we want to see come back as ghosts at the end.

This is awesome.

Anyway, you wouldn't believe what a Lucas apologist I have been, but more changes now is just....

*shakes head*

It,s truly a crying shame.

My wife has never seen star wars saga, and i've been meaning to go through them with her, but the DVDs are all I have.

I think I REALLY want to go out and pick up the original untouched DVDs now. I don't even care about the the remastering - and I heard they were in mono?

Jarmel

Banned
mrkgoo said:
I think I REALLY want to go out and pick up the original untouched DVDs now. I don't even care about the the remastering - and I heard they were in mono?

Seriously? Seriously? My mind is blown. Fuck you Lucas, the day you die I will play Yub Nub when I see the news.

mrkgoo

Jarmel said:
Seriously? Seriously? My mind is blown. Fuck you Lucas, the day you die I will play Yub Nub when I see the news.

I may be mistaken. It might just be stereo, rather than surround or something. But whatever. I need to find them.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
mrkgoo said:
I may be mistaken. It might just be stereo, rather than surround or something. But whatever. I need to find them.

Yeah, I just checked, they're in stereo.

mrkgoo

StudioTan said:
Yeah, I just checked, they're in stereo.
Whew.

So are these DVDs still available?

I,ve been watching a few older movies, and also considering Spielberg's stance on retouching old movies (wants to leave them, strings and all), and I think I agree. I don't mind a remastering or director's cut, but please let us have the original releases for history's sake.

Now that I think about it, i'm pretty sure episode I was changed from theatrical release even when it came out on video, but I can't remember what. I actually love episode I.

I also recall some fiasco about the score being muted and having reversed channels in the latest DVD releases during the attack on the death star sequence. What ever happened to that? I remember Ben burrt or whatever his name was saying it was deliberate. Was it a big deal?

Teh Hamburglar said:
HbTy0.gif

indiana-jones-vs-sword-o.gif

Duderz

Banned
Never understood the people who hate the Ewoks but want Yub Nub back in.

The ending to the special edition of ROTJ was one of the few changes that was dramatically better than the original.

Sanjuro

They need to bring back the Luke falling scream to re-rape my childhood.

Empire still sucks for people saying it's still perfect. They changed the Emperor, added the stupid scene where Vader goes back to his ship, fucked with Cloud City, made Wampa look stupid, etc. etc.

Medalion

Banned
Duderz said:

The ending to the special edition of ROTJ was one of the few changes that was dramatically better than the original.
People hate change

Big One

Banned
Duderz said:

I agree that the John William's score is superior by every means, but film preservation is still film preservation. All of the flaws and mishaps should be preserved and not erased from history like nothing happened.

Secondly the change to the new song also brings along a bunch of other shitty changes too.

netguy503

Jarmel

Banned
netguy503 said:
LOL....that is funny about the blue escape pod lid switching from grey back to blue (how it was originally) in different scenes. George Lucas fails at continuity. Also the new rocks Lucas added appear and then suddenly disappear in the very next shot from R2's hiding spot. Fail.

Yea I lol'd at that too.

OMG that Han solo and the storm troopers shot.
I remember later on in the Special Edition version you never see that mass army Han encountered.

It's like they wanted to make every scene that involves Han as implausible as possible.

Gui_PT

KittenMaster said:
I remember later on in the Special Edition version you never see that mass army Han encountered.

It's like they wanted to make every scene that involves Han as implausible as possible.

Let's be honest here. The man runs a business, so he has to make money.

Every couple of years he needs a reason to resell the movies. It's obvious he'll have a few bad ideas here and there.

: |

Sanjuro

Gui_PT said:
Let's be honest here. The man runs a business, so he has to make money.

Every couple of years he needs a reason to resell the movies. It's obvious he'll have a few bad ideas here and there.

: |
He would have made the money without the changes. When ever there is a new video medium he can/should milk it, no problems there. Just give me the original films I grew up with.

antonz

MattKeil said:
The saber in the Falcon training sequence is still green, except in the one shot released in the press materials? Come the fuck on, Lucasfilm.
Yep they did almost nothing to all the movies outside of the PR hyped shots. Its a disaster

Am I the only one who honestly likes Attack of the Clones? Episode I and III suck, but II is alright in my book. Visually great locations and an awesome CGI battle.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Did anyone else also honestly like Attack of the Clones? Episode I and III suck, but II is alright in my book. Visually great locations and an awesome CGI battle.

II was the worst of the prequels to me.

Sanjuro

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Am I the only one who honestly likes Attack of the Clones? Episode I and III suck, but II is alright in my book. Visually great locations and an awesome CGI battle.
Might be forever alone on this one. They were all equally as bad.

mrkgoo

I NEED SCISSORS said:

I actually really liked Episode I. III I can at least stand. II, nope.

netguy503

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
He would have made the money without the changes. When ever there is a new video medium he can/should milk it, no problems there. Just give me the original films I grew up with.

And especially with this boycott now, he would of made even more money without the changes. In fact I dare Lucas on his next go around to release the movies as they were originally and he'd make triple the money he has made off these releases from 2007 on as the release would seem even more "rare" now do to his history. I really don't think I'd lose that bet at all either.

mrkgoo

netguy503 said:
And especially with this boycott now, he would of made even more money without the changes. In fact I dare Lucas on his next go around to release the movies as they were originally and he'd make triple the money he has made off these releases from 2007 on as the release would seem even more "rare" now do to his history. I really don't think I'd lose that bet at all either.

Maybe that's his plan all along. Gradually make (un)subtle changes until the film is barely recognised. Then, when no-one is buying them anymore, release the glorious Theatrical Edition Remastered. It would be the second coming. The man's a genius.

Mr. Sam

mrkgoo said:
Maybe that's his plan all along. Gradually make (un)subtle changes until the film is barely recognised. Then, when no-one is buying them anymore, release the glorious Theatrical Edition Remastered. It would be the second coming. The man's a genius.

So this is all some sort of New Coke strategy?

PhoncipleBone said:
II was the worst of the prequels to me.

Episode I sucks for me because the CGI doesn't hold up as well. Jar Jar was film wreckingly awful and Liam Nesson, who is usually badass, feels ridiculously wooden. Lots of embarrassing scenes like Boss Nass blubbering, the "woaoooooo awesome" bit where Anakin steals the Naboo fighter, and the weird Queen Amidala pedo love interest. Side characters such as Captain Tanaka and the two Federation bad guys were also lame. It had a cool theme of military occupation though and I loved the deployment scene of the battle droids (even if the ensuing battle felt like something out of a Games Workshop duel).

III was far from as bad as Episode I, but I just did not like how Anakin's transition to Vadar was handled ("Nooooooooo"). He acts like an angsty teen rather than a badass. The fight with Obi Wan was pretty damn lame, particularly all the talking. The genocide of the Jedi was also confusingly simplistic in its portrayal. A lot of stuff, like Kashyyk, felt like fan service thrown in because Lucas thought "shit, we gotta give the people some Wookies to show continuity between the two trilogies". Spawned a really awesome Clone Wars cartoon though.

Episode II gave us Count Dookake as well, remember that!

JB1981

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I enjoyed the chase through Coruscant quite a bit

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I NEED SCISSORS said:

II is the worst of the six by a light year, and the only one I would consider skipping entirely if I were to watch the full series in any order. Boring, embarrassing, and ends with a huge battle with no possibility of emotional involvement whatsoever. Just awful.

Mr. Sam

The Clone Wars cartoon is the best thing to come out of the prequels. General Grievous is an unadulterated badass in it, as opposed to the spluttering, moustache-twisting bore he is in the film.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I didn't like Attack of the Clones, but i do think it came the closest to capturing the spirit of the original films, which, admittedly, isn't saying much. It has the most enjoyable action sequences of the trilogy, in that they generated a degree of fun and adventure that i felt the other 2 lacked altogether. Episode 1's action was too drawn out and dull and Episode III's action was weighed down by attempts at having serious dramatic undertones, which it failed at miserably. I can at least appreciate the Colosseum fight, Obi Wan/Jango Kamino fight, the droid factory sequence and the Coruscant chase for trying to capture a sense of adventure and not taking itself too seriously,.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Episode I sucks for me because the CGI doesn't hold up as well. Jar Jar was film wreckingly awful and Liam Nesson, who is usually badass, feels ridiculously wooden. Lots of embarrassing scenes like Boss Nass blubbering, the "woaoooooo awesome" bit where Anakin steals the Naboo fighter, and the weird Queen Amidala pedo love interest. Side characters such as Captain Tanaka and the two Federation bad guys were also lame. It had a cool theme of military occupation though and I loved the deployment scene of the battle droids (even if the ensuing battle felt like something out of a Games Workshop duel).

III was far from as bad as Episode I, but I just did not like how Anakin's transition to Vadar was handled ("Nooooooooo"). He acts like an angsty teen rather than a badass. The fight with Obi Wan was pretty damn lame, particularly all the talking. The genocide of the Jedi was also confusingly simplistic in its portrayal. A lot of stuff, like Kashyyk, felt like fan service thrown in because Lucas thought "shit, we gotta give the people some Wookies to show continuity between the two trilogies". Spawned a really awesome Clone Wars cartoon though.

It also gave us whiny teen Anakin turning to the dark side because he's angsty, the least threatening looking Sith in history, The Sand Line, one of the worst romances in film history, and a giant battle between CG soldiers (that Lucas was proud they never made a physical costume for) and CG comic relief robots.

3rdman

Edit: Link stealer am I .
Anyways, the geniuses have put R2-D2 inside and impossible crevice while Luke gets beaten by Sand People...On the very next shot, the tight hole is plenty large and R-D2 magically got out.

Anth0ny

I NEED SCISSORS said:

My order is definitely III>II>I. So much obnoxious shit in episode I, it's unbelievable.

II is still awful, but at LEAST I can turn my brain off and SOMEWHAT enjoy it. whee explosions. whee lightsabers. whee yoda doing backflips and shit. It's all INCREDIBLY stupid, but I'd rather have the most mindless of action than annoying children and god awful CGI pieces of shit. Oh, and it has Christopher Lee. Awesome.

III is the most watchable, because I actually somewhat care about the things happening in the film. As mentioned countless times before, III is what the prequel trilogy should have been. I and II are filer in the grand scheme of things. I just wish Vader gave off this vibe during the film as opposed to the whiny bastard that he was.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
So I'm going to watch this Adywan fan edit of Ep. 4. Seems like the general reactions I've seen online are that the music is going to be awkward sometimes, but overall the technical changes are quality and the other content changes are generally for the better.

All this Star Wars talk has made me have the itch for some OT, so figured I'd give this thing a shot.

Worst case I'll just pretend Lucas did it...

Teh Hamburglar said:
Lucas had no fights in the films. They've become dances with no weight or emotion.

HbTy0.gif

That is an actual scene in the new films? Holy shit, I don't remember watching this. Would have been fucking hilarious.

jaxword

cartoon_soldier said:
That is an actual scene in the new films? Holy shit, I don't remember watching this. Would have been fucking hilarious.

It's a repeating gif, so there isn't that degree of spinning in the movie.

Still looks pretty silly, though.

apana

One thing I never understood was Lucas's idea of how one converts to the dark side of the force. It seems that all you have to do is decide you will join the dark side and bam you are instantly evil. All of a sudden Anakin is all like "WTF did I do, OMG I killed Master Windu" and the next moment he decides to become Palpatine's permanent apprentice. Same with Luke. Apparently the Emperor and Darth Vader thought they could take him upto their secret room in the death star and just change him, kind of like an intervention.

emacs

Zoolader said:
He needs to stop messing with the originals ...

Lucasfilm Limited is the sole production company that made the films. George Lucas is the chairman, CEO and founder of the production company. Copyright law dictates he and Lucasfilm Limited can do they want with their intellectual properties. George Lucas is executive producer of the Star Wars film franchise so he was responsible for the overall production as well as all legal and business issues. George Lucas can do whatever he wants with the films. accept it or continue living in denial, angst and childish bitterness.

emacs said:
Lucasfilm Limited is the sole production company that made the films. George Lucas is the chairman, CEO and founder of the production company. Copyright law dictates he and Lucasfilm Limited can do they want with their intellectual properties. George Lucas is executive producer of the Star Wars film franchise so he was responsible for the overall production as well as all legal and business issues. George Lucas can do whatever he wants with the films. accept it or continue living in denial, angst and childish bitterness.

Nobody's denying that. But just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

MC Safety

apana said:
One thing I never understood was Lucas's idea of how one converts to the dark side of the force. It seems that all you have to do is decide you will join the dark side and bam you are instantly evil. All of a sudden Anakin is all like "WTF did I do, OMG I killed Master Windu" and the next moment he decides to become Palpatine's permanent apprentice. Same with Luke. Apparently the Emperor and Darth Vader thought they could take him upto their secret room in the death star and just change him, kind of like an intervention.

Anakin is evil way before he kills Windu. As for the alignment shift, it's just a choice.

emacs said:

That's fantastic.

emacs

Box of Bunnies said:
Nobody's denying that. But just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

complaining about any changes is rather pointless. like i said, those who whine about the edits should either accept it or continue living life as a bitter, angst-ridden child who feels entitled.

emacs said:
complaining about any changes is rather pointless. like i said, those who whine about the edits should either accept it or continue living life as a bitter, angst-ridden child who feels entitled.

I agree with this but if this happened, we wouldn't get entertaining threads like this one.

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom