• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George Lucas Making Changes to Star Wars Saga... Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regulus Tera said:
All I'll say is that you deserve what Lucas is doing to you, people.

Get the fuck out with this, what is he doing? giving me Star Wars on Blu-Ray?

honestly some people don't rage at the additions to the movies.

Morn

Banned
JetBlackPanda said:
Get the fuck out with this, what is he doing? giving me Star Wars on Blu-Ray?

honestly some people don't rage at the additions to the movies.

Yea fuck him for releasing the movies on Blu-Ray with solid picture, perfect sound (PERFECT SOUND), and every single Original Trilogy deleted scene ever in HD.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
It obviously doesn't apply to you, Panda. I'm talking about the people who bitch endlessly about the changes and act like Lucas committed historical revisionism yet proceed to fund his endeavours. Never mind that their whining will continue after watching them.

The very least you guys should have done is wait until you could rent the movies.

3rdman

mattp said:
yep
thus, i'll stick with the despecialized editions and enjoy them quite a bit. maybe lucas will have a heart attack one day and someone will give the old cuts the proper treatment, but until then i'm good not paying money for these movies ever again
ballmer-highfive1.jpg

Regulus Tera said:
It obviously doesn't apply to you, Panda. I'm talking about the people who bitch endlessly about the changes and act like Lucas committed historical revisionism yet proceed to fund his endeavours. Never mind that their whining will continue after watching them.

The very least you guys should have done is wait until you could rent the movies.

fair enough, I still wish I could watch the cut I grew up with, but Lucas has proven he wants nothing to do with that.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Canada Post just delivered my Blu-rays. The packaging is beautiful. I love the way they did the discs.

Can't wait to start watching them tonight!

Cheech

Jin34 said:
So have I, and I'm passing them by just fine.

Well, ok. You are just not really interested in Star Wars then. More of a Star Trek dude, perhaps. I get it.

tuffy said:
This release is like a big chocolate sundae mixed with little bits of turd. If you buy it, you're bound to bite into one of those chunks and notice the taste isn't what it's supposed to be. Some people can rationalize it away. The chunks aren't that big, the rest of it tastes pretty good and everyone who doesn't like turd chunks are just haters. Other people have a threshold. If only a particular chunk was excised, they'd buy it and be willing to stomach the rest.

This is a really long winded way of saying that you underestimate the caring of normal people when it comes to the changes in these movies. Most of us just want Star Wars on Blu Ray, and that's what we got. I've been watching these for the last few hours, and I'm thrilled. They look like they were shot yesterday, even the original, and the sound is breathtaking.

Sorry you and others are missing out to "prove a point", but your loss.

StudioTan said:
Canada Post just delivered my Blu-rays. The packaging is beautiful. I love the way they did the discs.

Can't wait to start watching them tonight!

Did Canada get the book style with each movie taking 2 pages and the disks sitting inside a paper sleeve? I have seen some Youtube videos with the disks stacked on a spine.

I prefer the Book Style.

Morn

Banned
electroshockwave said:
Well, people like you aren't giving him a financial reason to do that.

Even if they did boycott it, they are a very very small (and vocal) minority. Even if they all boycotted it, the set would STILL be a best seller.

Salmonax

Cheech said:
Well, ok. You are just not really interested in Star Wars then. More of a Star Trek dude, perhaps. I get it.
When Star Wars is available on Blu-ray, I'll be first in line. Until then I've got my 720p versions, which will suffice.

Salmonax said:
When Star Wars is available on Blu-ray, I'll be first in line. Until then I've got my 720p versions, which will suffice.

Har Har.. because adding some Cgi and sound effects makes it not Star Wars.

I still cant wrap my head around people that are ok with HDTV fan edits but official releases are off limits.

Bizarre.

Morn

Banned
JetBlackPanda said:
Har Har.. because adding some Cgi and sound effects makes it not Star Wars.

I still cant wrap my head around people that are ok with pirated fan edits but official releases are off limits.

Bizarre.

fixed

Dead

well not really...yet
Only thing worse than a George Lucas special edition are fan edits. And I say this as someone who HATES the ROTJ SE

mattp

he ruined the climax of the entire trilogy. no thanks. its not just pointless cg additions

also, sure its piracy but whatever, i've bought legal copies of these movies so many times already.

Cheech

Salmonax said:

So clever!

I've been watching Ep 4 from the beginning, and I am noticing details in this movie I've never seen before. The picture is just stunning.

I'm glad I don't have the "nerd rage" gene. I could have died yesterday and not seen these, but thank god I am sitting here and watching this. Hundreds of times I've seen the original SW, and this is a whole new experience.

Anyone who likes SW at all will be thrilled with these.

Watched A New Hope. It looked pretty great. Really the only thing that looked terrible was CG Jabba.

I may just go buy the Prequel Trilogy.

CrazyDude

The only thing keeping from buying this is the stupid singing scene in return of the jedi. Every other change I can tolerate to a degree.

Morn

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:
Watched A New Hope. It looked pretty great. Really the only thing that looked terrible was CG Jabba.

I may just go buy the Prequel Trilogy.

Should have bought the complete set, only way to get the amazing extras.

Mr. Sam

As someone who entered this thread by saying I would consider buying the BDs, it'd be hypocritical of me not to buy these! Yeah. Yeah.

I won't be buying the prequels, though. Obviously not. A polished turd is a still a turd, a tarnished gem is still a gem, and I'm not much of a special features guy.

Edit: Except for Disney's "Cine-explore" feature; that shit is dope.

Cheech

Salmonax said:
Haven't read the thread, eh? Look, it's fine if people don't mind eating a shit sandwich - that's certainly their right.

Oh, so you guys all had Fox send you prerelease copies of the Blu Ray? Sounds sweet! Can I sign up for this? Is there a club I need to join?

ultron87

Morn said:
Even if they did boycott it, they are a very very small (and vocal) minority. Even if they all boycotted it, the set would STILL be a best seller.

So? Standing up for your principles is still standing up for your principles even if not many other people are doing it.

Not buying this collection is pretty much the biggest statement we can make as an individual consumer about how we feel about the changes to the movie. It doesn't matter if it probably won't make much of a difference.

ultron87 said:
So? Standing up for your principles is still standing up for your principles even if not many other people are doing it.

Not buying this collection is pretty much the biggest statement we can make as an individual consumer about how we feel about the changes to the movie. It doesn't matter if it probably won't make much of a difference.

I support you in this, but I hate people coming in here saying enjoy your shit sandwich, keep feeding the machine idiots.

I get you don't like the additions.

Mr. Sam

JetBlackPanda said:
I cannot for the life of me figure out why replacing shaws ghost with Hayden's ruins the entire film for you.

seems unreasonable.

For me, as someone who isn't really that fanatical about Star Wars, it's like if they put JCVD's speech from Street Fighter into Aliens - i.e. splicing something from a bad movie into a good movie. I can probably live with it, it's just really annoying having to be reminded that those films exist.

Morn said:
Should have bought the complete set, only way to get the amazing extras.
Yeah probably, but I just didn't have the money and I really just wanted the Original Trilogy. It was $30 at Toys R us, so I was like sure I'll bite. Watching he movies now, I kind of want to watch the prequels. I'm sure Phantom Menace is not going to age well with me, but when I was 9 I really enjoyed the movie. I kind of would like to watch it again.

And I'm not an extra's guy. I have the 5 Disc Blade Runner Blu ray set. I think I've just watched the Final Cut and that's it.

Salmonax

Cheech said:
Oh, so you guys all had Fox send you prerelease copies of the Blu Ray? Sounds sweet! Can I sign up for this? Is there a club I need to join?
The changes to the movies have been pretty well-publicized.

Morn

Banned
ultron87 said:

lucas-cash-money.jpg

mattp

to be clear, i didn't mean the ghost (although that is pretty bad), i meant the actual scene where vader redeems himself, saves luke, and goes back to the light side
such a powerful scene. completely butchered by that fucking pointless addition

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
JetBlackPanda said:
Did Canada get the book style with each movie taking 2 pages and the disks sitting inside a paper sleeve? I have seen some Youtube videos with the disks stacked on a spine.

I prefer the Book Style.

Yes, book style.

ultron87

Is there anywhere on the discs or in interviews where Lucas discusses the new changes? I'd love to hear his reasoning behind the Vader one.

Cheech

Salmonax said:
The changes to the movies have been pretty well-publicized.

Sitting here watching these, you would have to be pretty heartless to say these suck. Now an hour into Ep 4, and man. Just crazy good.

mattp said:
to be clear, i didn't mean the ghost (although that is pretty bad), i meant the actual scene where vader redeems himself, saves luke, and goes back to the light side
such a powerful scene. completely butchered by that fucking pointless addition

If you're referring to the "No's" being added, while I agree that it was indeed a pointless addition, to let it completely ruin, or some how thing that it changes, the ending is also pretty pointless.

It does sound very odd and out of place to me. it also changes nothing about the fall and redemption of Vader/Anakin.

Salmonax

Cheech said:
Sitting here watching these, you would have to be pretty heartless to say these suck. Now an hour into Ep 4, and man. Just crazy good.
I'm sure I could deal with it, just like I was able to tolerate all the junk in the 2004 DVDs I bought. I guess I just decided there's only so far these can get from the real films before I'm finally done. It's cool if others don't care as much.

mattp

Kung Fu Jedi said:
If you're referring to the "No's" being added, while I agree that it was indeed a pointless addition, to let it completely ruin, or some how thing that it changes, the ending is also pretty pointless.

It does sound very odd and out of place to me. it also changes nothing about the fall and redemption of Vader/Anakin.
it takes one of the most important scenes and turns it into a joke
its so absurd, i originally thought it was a video the onion made or something

Salmonax said:
This is always such an odd response. Nobody's denying that Lucas will make a billion dollars off these discs, nor begrudging him his success. We just wish he'd respect his films more.

You know what bothers me more than anything?

We never got a 7-9 :( and now everyone is too old. That bothers me!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom