• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George Lucas Making Changes to Star Wars Saga... Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morn

Banned
Jin34 said:
Mostly fixed I believe, still a few errors but nowhere near as much.

From digitalbits:

Selective quoting FTL. You didn't post what he said after that:
(For the record, I'm not convinced that the crushed blacks and oversaturated colors are a defect so much as a deliberate choice on Lucas' part. They've been visible in these films since at least 1997, so it's hard to say.)

Pie Lord

I've read the digtalbits review, among others, but I'm not inclined to believe them until I see some direct captures or hear some consumer testimony. I am not in a trusting mood.

Erigu

Morn said:
He's not a liar, but his sources were.
How do you know?

What they were talking about WAS SHOWN ON THE EPISODE 2 DVD.
Before they did the CG Yoda they did tests with a CG TPM Yoda and a CG ESB Yoda and showed both to George. It's on the second disc of the Episode 2 DVD.
There again: how do you know that's what they were referring to?

Jin34

God someone is cranky about George, the verdict on the PQ is basically: "great but not top tier restoration". Obviously the best they have ever done. I know about the dvd footage tests though I don't know which sources you have access to (or where you work) so it's a he said/she said. I would imagine you work is related to Lucasfilm since you defend him so vigorously.

@Pie Lord: I would imagine forums like AVSforum will have pics uploaded soon, you won't find a group of people with a more critical set of eyes than them.

Sibylus

Banned
Whether or not the Yoda rumor is true, it's bound to happen eventually. Sooner or later that puppet is going to send George Lucas into a blood rage.

Salmonax

Botolf said:
Whether or not the Yoda rumor is true, it's bound to happen eventually. Sooner or later that puppet is going to send George Lucas into a blood rage.
Yeah, I'm thinking he'll be digital for the 3D release. Hopefully that will be a jarring enough change to wake more people up, but probably not.

Jin34

nemss said:
My guess is we'll see a full CGI Yoda in Empire, and ROTJ for the 3D releases.

I can already see the 3D Blu-rays in my head. They'll go back and restore/scan them with the latest tech at 4k or 8k and have it looking like a top tier blu-ray title. But the catch will be CG Yoda in the OT.

Lucastrollface.jpg

mrkgoo

Marty Chinn said:
Man I can't decide if I want to get this or not. Being a huge fan despite all the crap Lucas does, I grew up with this and I kinda want it. At the same time, I kinda feel like Lucas has finally gone too far with me with what he did at the end of RotJ. Then again, I think well only Jedi is ruined, the others are still ok. I'm just torn since I want it in nice 1080p. Despite all the changes in the past, this is really the first time that I've contemplated not picking up the release.

I'm actually with you.

Funny thing is, it won,t just be the first time we,re not getting them for just us. You can bet there are a lot more people. The 3DS was the first Nintendo console I didn't buy on launch for all the same reasons everyone else.

That said, I currently don't have my Blu ray player, so it makes the decision much easier.

In other news, the new greed scene is actually acceptable. I'm so over it. The r2 rock and vader nooooo bug me more. Hayden only annoyed me in that it makes no sense if you watch just the original trilogy - the idea itself isn't offensive to me. And if e new order to watch them pans out for m e, I may even care less.

Jin34 said:
I can already see the 3D Blu-rays in my head. They'll go back and restore/scan them with the latest tech at 4k or 8k and have it looking like a top tier blu-ray title. But the catch will be CG Yoda in the OT.

Lucastrollface.jpg

Plus the first full trailer for Ep 7.

Sibylus

Banned
Salmonax said:
Yeah, I'm thinking he'll be digital for the 3D release. Hopefully that will be a jarring enough change to wake more people up, but probably not.
The real test will come when computing power obliterates the "lifelike human rendering" problem. That day will be the day when Lucas will be able to remake the OT as he pleases, down to every minute detail. I don't think he can resist, being the inveterate perfectionist that he is. That day will be the shitstorm of shitstorms.

DoctorWho said:
The packaging is beautiful.
I'd rather have plastic snap cases than paper slip cases :/

Also the art on the cover of the complete saga is garbage IMO. It does feel sturdy though and I do like all the art inside.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Salmonax said:

Wake people up from being free thinking adults who are perfectly capable of deciding where and when we want to spend our money?

Salmonax

StudioTan said:
Wake people up from being free thinking adults who are perfectly capable of deciding where and when we want to spend our money?
If it makes you feel better, then sure - I'm hoping people wake up into mental and financial slavery.

Seriously, though, I'm just wondering how bad these movies have to get before more finally say "wow, that's too bad even for me." I mean, if the OT were turned all-CG, the actors replaced, Jar Jar replaces Chewy, Han gives Greedo flowers, Jedi dance number extended to 40 minutes, etc. would people still say "stop nitpicking and just enjoy, nerd ragers!"

DJ_Tet

Banned
I bought these because at $70 for six of my favorite movies it was a no brainer. However, I still don't want to sanction the changes, and will likely find a copy of those edits.

I know you guys are just kidding but the day Lucas yanks Yoda out of Empire and puts CGI in I'm out. I'm actually glad there is CGI Yoda in Episode I (that's still happening right?) instead of stoned Yoda, but Yoda in Empire is iconic and Frank Oz's work deserves to go on.

Of course he's fucked over a lot of other people who worked hard on sfx over the years so maybe it's just inevitable.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Salmonax said:
If it makes you feel better, then sure - I'm hoping people wake up into mental and financial slavery.

Seriously, though, I'm just wondering how bad these movies have to get before more finally say "wow, that's too bad even for me." I mean, if the OT were turned all-CG, the actors replaced, Jar Jar replaces Chewy, Han gives Greedo flowers, Jedi dance number extended to 40 minutes, etc. would people still say "stop nitpicking and just enjoy, nerd ragers!"

If it got to that point, I certainly wouldn't go whining about it on the internet and trying to make people feel they're stupid for liking what they like.

I can respect that people hate these changes and I can even enjoy debating the merits of the changes. I tune out when it gets to hyperbole and insults.

"George Lucas is raping our childhood". Yeah, go cry about it to your therapist or find something more important to worry about.

Risette

A Good Citizen
StudioTan said:
If it got to that point, I certainly wouldn't go whining about it on the internet and trying to make people feel they're stupid for liking what they like.

I can respect that people hate these changes and I can even enjoy debating the merits of the changes. I tune out when it gets to hyperbole and insults.

"George Lucas is raping our childhood". Yeah, go cry about it to your therapist or find something more important to worry about.
I'd like for you to find the insults and "raping our childhood" in this thread.

Morn

Banned
DJ_Tet said:
Of course he's fucked over a lot of other people who worked hard on sfx over the years so maybe it's just inevitable.

That's hard to understand as when they did the SE's in 1997 the same people at ILM who did the original shots did the new stuff. Hell they did all of the SE work.

http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/savingstarwars.html

"The initial scope of it involved two dozen shots," ILMer Tom Kennedy says. [8] Denis Muren at ILM also drew up a list of shots that had always bothered him, mainly in spaceship motion, which Lucas was open to using, and Tom Kennedy and others then contributed ideas for new additions [9] --since Fox was paying for it all, it was looked at as free R&D for ILM to use for the prequels Lucas was also planning. [10]

It's not like Lucas has some workstation in his bedroom where he cackles like a supervillain while he erases old effects.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
I really want to buy this but I don't like the changes. Then again it is fucking Star Wars so I will wait till Black Friday.

smokeymicpot said:
I really want to buy this but I don't like the changes. Then again it is fucking Star Wars so I will wait till Black Friday.

The launch price is a pretty good deal too.

6 movies for $80 = $13 a disk and that does not include the special features.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
JetBlackPanda said:
The launch price is a pretty good deal too.

6 movies for $80 = $13 a disk and that does not include the special features.

I know it is. I need to take a stand some how. I know I will buy it before the end of the year.

smokeymicpot said:
I know it is. I need to take a stand some how. I know I will buy it before the end of the year.

I probably would have done the same but I won a $50 gift card to Costco at work so I only spent $30 cash.

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
Its a lot more "Making good films worse."
Also I first saw the SE so my childhood came pre-raped.

Oh wow! I remember taking my friend to see TPM for the first time and he told me he had not seen any of the others.

StudioTan

Aigis said:
I'd like for you to find the insults and "raping our childhood" in this thread.

"All I'll say is that you deserve what Lucas is doing to you, people."

Only had to go back 2 pages.

I don't know if someone said raping my childhood in this thread, I was using it as example of oft repeated Star Wars rage. Surely it's not the first time you've heard it?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Raped%20My%20Childhood

DJ_Tet

Banned
Morn said:
That's hard to understand as when they did the SE's in 1997 the same people at ILM who did the original shots did the new stuff. Hell they did all of the SE work.

http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/savingstarwars.html

It's not like Lucas has some workstation in his bedroom where he cackles like a supervillain while he erases old effects.

I thought some of the original effects people had come out against what he's done but I'm not up-to-date on everything. Probably shouldn't have spoke.

Salmonax

JetBlackPanda said:
If this thread has taught me anything its that we all love Star Wars.
2jg2fwkjpg.gif

Risette

A Good Citizen
DJ_Tet said:
I thought some of the original effects people had come out against what he's done but I'm not up-to-date on everything. Probably shouldn't have spoke.
No, one of them has:
We spoke with Tippett this morning about the film and his career, but we'll be saving that longer interview for when the Jurassic Park trilogy hits on Blu-ray on October 25th. But since it's on everyone's minds this week, we did want to share some of Tippett's thoughts about what George Lucas is doing to Star Wars. It's one thing for all us nerds to complain, but how does someone who created the visual effects for the original Star Wars trilogy feel about George's needless tinkering?

Surprise: He hates it too. It didn't take long before the topic came up last night in the Q&A, and Tippett's response was a simple, "They're sh-t." He doesn't think they're necessary at all, citing as one example how he loved Lucas' original, Sergio Leone-like approach to shooting Mos Eisley as this minimal, barren place and how now it's just "filled with a bunch of... CGI sh-t."
http://www.movies.com/movie-news/phil-tippett-star-wars/4324

Medalion

Banned
Watching the Complete Saga on Boo-ray nao

*hypocrite*

I am watching them in chapter order

I am on Phantom Menance near the beginning

I am watching with commentary on, I don't remember if this commentary is brand new or not with Lucas/Ben Burtt/Rick

Video quality is nice for 1080p as one SHOULD expect but it's not blowing me away or anything... I was kinda spoiled early on by 1080p versions I've seen elsewhere before, but there is less digital noise

Morn

Banned
Medalion said:
Watching the Complete Saga on Boo-ray nao

*hypocrite*

I am watching them in chapter order

I am on Phantom Menance near the beginning

I am watching with commentary on, I don't remember if this commentary is brand new or not with Lucas/Ben Burtt/Rick

Video quality is nice for 1080p as one SHOULD expect but it's not blowing me away or anything... I was kinda spoiled early on by 1080p versions I've seen elsewhere before, but there is less digital noise

The first commentary is old. The second one is new.

Hahahaha...I wonder how many tough talkers broke and secretly bought it.

Be strong.

Do what I'm doing--watch the the deleted scenes with a friend, via his copies!

YOU DON'T NEED TO PERSONALLY PAY LUCAS IN ORDER TO SEE THIS.

Got my set from Amazon this morning, watched TPM and now going through ANH. Looks stunning really, but I haven't seen the films since the DVD release. I stand by how I felt previous, while I dislike the changes, having the films in such high quality greatly outweighs the shitty changes.

Suddenly I remember that in one of Roger Ebert's books, he talks about how much he hate it when someone dodges a laser beam and how dumb and impossible it would be to didge a beam of LIGHT. I saw the SE again recently and laughed so hard at the Han dodge.

Anth0ny

woah where did all these Lucas fanboys come from? This thread was pure hatred only a week ago =P

And the deleted scenes are making their way onto youtube. So I now have 0 reason to buy these lol

BobTheFork said:
Suddenly I remember that in one of Roger Ebert's books, he talks about how much he hate it when someone dodges a laser beam and how dumb and impossible it would be to didge a beam of LIGHT. I saw the SE again recently and laughed so hard at the Han dodge.
Han simply referred to the guy as a 'baby' and requested that he not hurt him
2sb5xmo.gif

Erigu

Not sure I understand that one...

It apparently is an alternate take of the Biggs scene they edited back into episode 4 for the Special Edition. I remember they cut the "I met your father once when I was just a boy, he was a great pilot. You'll do all right. If you've got half of your father's skill, you'll do better than all right." line (presumably because it wouldn't / might not fit with the prequels) by having some extras cross the screen in front of the characters. You could tell something was missing by looking at R2 in the background.

Now, why the hell does the same thing happen there despite the line being present?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom