• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George Lucas Making Changes to Star Wars Saga... Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might actually buy the OT set if it had all of the OT-centric features from the full set, but there's no way I'm paying for three shitty movies I hate just to be able to get the features for the good trilogy.

It's disturbing how many people that have been shouting mad about the changes ended up buying the Blu-ray release. An observation of friends and online message boards alike.

Star Wars fans are worse than Sonic fans.

Medalion

Banned
Salvor.Hardin said:
It's disturbing how many people that have been shouting mad about the changes ended up buying the Blu-ray release. An observation of friends and online message boards alike.

I remember when I played the first Sonic games I started clapping and cheering with a group full of strangers watching

kunonabi

Tabris said:
I'm going to post a radical opinion here that people may consider crazy. After my recent re-watching of all titles. I would rank them as follows.

V >>> VI = III >>> IV >>> II >>>>>> I

I really like Episode 3. There's a couple things that lower my opinion about. Certain pieces of dialogue felt unnatural and the switch was a bit too sudden (I blame Episode I and II for this though), otherwise the premise, the music, the visual scenery and the emotion the scenes bring up makes it equal to Episode 6 for me.

I think except for the Final Duel and "The Reveal" from Episode 6 and 5, Order 66 and "Fall of Anakin" are the best scenes in the trilogy. That opening scene is also really good.

I still consider Empire to be the best film in the series but as far as my personal favs:

II > V > IV=III > I >>>>>>>>>>>>>VI

I actually love episode I despite how low on my list it is.

I didn't really mind the switch to be honest. I never felt it to be all that sudden as there was plenty of build up to it. My only beef with III was that the end of the movie after the duel should have been a bit longer. They really rushed through things a bit too quickly. Has much as I liked the Yoda/Palpatine battle it would have been had they not intercut it with Obi vs Anakin. I know Lucas likes those multiple threads but Obi v Anakin was a pretty major event that should have had the whole stage to itself.

I dont believe The Phantom Menace transfer is a simple dnr. There are places where it has been smoothed out but at the same time retains some very fine detail and texture. It is like the trade federation creatures were hit with some effect to make the practical effects look more like cgi.

The hd treatment on the movie not only makes the cgi stand out but also makes every layer stand out from matte to practical, to model, to cgi. Even in the theater(s) I saw the film at there wasn't this level of fidelity. Stuff that I never gave a second thought to now stands out and is usually the most minor of composited element.

It was a shock to see off the beginning and I slowly warmed up to it.

The funny thing to me, and this happens with every star wars movie except for ROTJ is that I'll put it on for what I think will be 10 minutes and I'll end up watching the entire movie. I can only stop if it is Return of the Jedi.

That said, Jedi would have really benefitted from the sand storm scene, and the inclusion of the endor destruction sub plot. The sans storm scene makes it feel like the film has more throw and the ticking clock with Endor adds that extra layer of threat to the characters.

Wow at the Biggs deleted scene. The photography there was gorgeous and the wider throw for Lukes character worked will and cutting it out is a shame but for pacing it made perfect sense. It also helps because if Luke had friends at Toshi then why wouldn't he go to them after his aunt and uncle were killed?

Salvor.Hardin said:

Hey at least I didnt buy them on DVD.

On that subject pick it and Robot Chicken Episode III on BR at target. Seemed like they sold a lot of the Complete Saga, more than I expected.

Now time to pull the beard hair and flannel out of my ass.

Medalion said:
You have to be trolling, you just have to be

I don't know. The last half of Clones is a saturday matinee serial played out with 100 million dollars and the best effects in the business at the time. When the Droid ship crashes causing that dust storm and the clones are inside firing at the droids I almost fell out if my seat.

It is 50s space adventure in colossal scale.

Medalion

Banned
Warm Machine said:
I don't know. The last half of Clones is a saturday matinee serial played out with 100 million dollars and the best effects in the business at the time. When the Droid ship crashes causing that dust storm and the clones are inside firing at the droids I almost fell out if my seat.

It is 50s space adventure in colossal scale.
I will admit AoTC had some interesting moments but overall it is incoherent mess

But I will never understand the hate ROTJ gets especially since you seem to love the prequels

You ranked it far dead last which baffles me, I mean if you consider before the alterations it was fucking great way to end the trilogy and series

JB1981

Warm Machine said:
I dont believe The Phantom Menace transfer is a simple dnr. There are places where it has been smoothed out but at the same time retains some very fine detail and texture. It is like the trade federation creatures were hit with some effect to make the practical effects look more like cgi.

The hd treatment on the movie not only makes the cgi stand out but also makes every layer stand out from matte to practical, to model, to cgi. Even in the theater(s) I saw the film at there wasn't this level of fidelity. Stuff that I never gave a second thought to now stands out and is usually the most minor of composited element.

It was a shock to see off the beginning and I slowly warmed up to it.

The funny thing to me, and this happens with every star wars movie except for ROTJ is that I'll put it on for what I think will be 10 minutes and I'll end up watching the entire movie. I can only stop if it is Return of the Jedi.

That said, Jedi would have really benefitted from the sand storm scene, and the inclusion of the endor destruction sub plot. The sans storm scene makes it feel like the film has more throw and the ticking clock with Endor adds that extra layer of threat to the characters.

Wow at the Biggs deleted scene. The photography there was gorgeous and the wider throw for Lukes character worked will and cutting it out is a shame but for pacing it made perfect sense. It also helps because if Luke had friends at Toshi then why wouldn't he go to them after his aunt and uncle were killed?

Watched the Biggs scene on Youtubes, love it.

Medalion said:
I will admit AoTC had some interesting moments but overall it is incoherent mess

But I will never understand the hate ROTJ gets especially since you seem to love the prequels

You ranked it far dead last which baffles me, I mean if you consider before the alterations it was fucking great way to end the trilogy and series

I personally like it the least because there are three simple parts to the whole thing. Tatooine, Endor, and Death Star and Endor and Death Star overlap. The storytelling seems really lazy, the actors are not into it, and even though it was made after Empire it looks and feels older and cheaper. Story point for story point it seems like it is doing less than A New Hope. Maybe too because it us a movie full of answers and in a rush to give them.

I don't know. It just doesn't have a scene to scene motivation behind it. I still love much of the production design in it and it works well as an ending to the series.

Warm Machine said:
I personally like it the least because there are three simple parts to the whole thing. Tatooine, Endor, and Death Star and Endor and Death Star overlap. The storytelling seems really lazy, the actors are not into it, and even though it was made after Empire it looks and feels older and cheaper.

Also I think it's just a lackluster finale to such a huge epic. Other film franchises like Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter have vastly superior finales to Star Wars.

Medalion

Banned
Warm Machine said:
I personally like it the least because there are three simple parts to the whole thing. Tatooine, Endor, and Death Star and Endor and Death Star overlap. The storytelling seems really lazy, the actors are not into it, and even though it was made after Empire it looks and feels older and cheaper. Story point for story point it seems like it is doing less than A New Hope. Maybe too because it us a movie full of answers and in a rush to give them.

I don't know. It just doesn't have a scene to scene motivation behind it. I still love much of the production design in it and it works well as an ending to the series.
If you can level that amount of criticism in ROTJ I really don't see how you can think the prequels are that much better, they are full of the most wooden acting, motivation, dialogue, plot points

brandonh83 said:
Also I think it's just a lackluster finale to such a huge epic. Other film franchises like Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter have vastly superior finales to Star Wars.
How the hell was that lacklustre? It tied up everything perfectly with the redemption of Vader and the final defeat of the Emperor who was the mastermind behind everything, the destruction of the Empire once and for all

KevinCow said:
The last half hour or so of AotC is pretty sweet. Doesn't make up for the rest of the movie, though.

As soon as a dialogue scene happens it's a stage play. When action breaks out it works really well. I'd think it a better movie if something actually happened on naboo instead of lots of talking. Star Wars works best when plot is delivered through action and event.

JB1981

Warm Machine said:

Jabbas Palace, Sail barge sequene, yoda's death, chase on speederbikes in endor, space battle IS FUCKING AMAZING, Luke/Vader/Palpatine confrontation .. the movie has A LOT of great scenes

Was accused today by a twitter follower of boycotting the BDs because I am "old and jaded". That motherfucker got BLOCKED.

People saying "I don't like these changes but I'm still buying because I love Star Wars" have got it all backward. You're putting up with this bullshit because you don't love it enough!

Medalion

Banned
The so-called action of the prequels that you love is delivered in such a way that it is cold, mechanical, lacks any sense of rhythm or real tension due to the oversatured CG and bright colors

You must be joking

mrkgoo

I like AotC the least, perhaps mostly because of the hokey romance.

That said, I DO see what George was going for. Everyone wanted the subtle 'Han Solo-ish' development, but Anakin was never that kind of loveable rogue. He was meant to be the awkward outsider, not fitting in where he came from nor fitting in where he ended up.

And the romance was meant to be more sort of the high fantasy style, sort of fitting for the star wars fairy tale style. Not the dark, gritty, hard feel that people sort of wanted.

Still, it was lame, and I never felt any chemistry between the actors, or characters, and only the merest inkling of why Padme would ever fall for Anakin.

Gary Whitta said:
Was accused today by a twitter follower of boycotting the BDs because I am "old and jaded". That motherfucker got BLOCKED.

People saying "I don't like these changes but I'm still buying because I love Star Wars" have got it all backward. You're putting up with this shot because you don't love it enough!
Huh?

What if you have both versions?

Can't you guys just rent the discs from netflix or something? Why buy it for the 6th. time especially when you know in 5 years there will be another version.

Gui_PT

To celebrate the Blu Ray release, a tv channel here in Portugal is airing the prequels

What a great way to celebrate Star Wars!

NekoFever

JetBlackPanda said:
How is it really different? He knows its killing himself so he yells out noooo in pain.
LHDjO.gif

WillyFive

Medalion said:
The so-called action of the prequels that you love is delivered in such a way that it is cold, mechanical, lacks any sense of rhythm or real tension due to the oversatured CG and bright colors

They are boring action scenes, but not because they look good. It's because they are boring.

Medalion

Banned
I finally made it to the No... NOOOOooooo

It wasn't that bad, and I am being honest here

The most jarring changes to ROTJ still stand with the Jabba music sequence

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Salvor.Hardin said:
It's hard to believe Episode III got so much love on this very forum on its release:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48217

Many exclamations of it being the best Star Wars movie to date. A lot of praise for Hayden's acting as well. True levels of GAF movie release absurdity.
I think it's pretty good, actually. I regret nothing. I consider Episode III to be the best possible scenario after the shit groundwork laid by Episode I and II. It's a 7 or 8 out of ten, as opposed to the 3.5 of the first two. It was a surprising increase in quality at the time. It also tells a legitimate Hollywood tale (human weakness causes a fall and a confrontation between two allies) as opposed to the personality-devoid Trade Federation blockade and Clone Army plots of the first two.

Hayden is a bad actor, but his performance in III is about a billion times better than it was in Episode II. He almost looks like the minds eye image I had of Anakin years before the prequels. There's a good deal more "whining" than I expect.... but as I said, based on the shit groundwork of II, that's consistent....

Medalion

Banned
"Weesa FREE!!!"

Forgot, that is also quite unnecessarily jarring, not just cuz Gungans suck... it's because for 3 whole movies you haven't seen or heard of the Gungans or Naboo to suddenly include it at the end for no apparent reason is lame

And yes, I finally can confirm Force Ghost Hayden at ROTJ

Oh dear

All 6 movies done, time to indulge in the extras

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom