• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George Lucas Making Changes to Star Wars Saga... Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

kIdMuScLe

I enjoyed The Phantom Menace... Just wished that Anakin was about 13-15yrs old so the plot would make more sense. Plus i can't believe how arrogant the Jedi council, especially Windu, are. The only knock on the movie for image quality is that some of the SFX look really dated while some others look impressive!

kunonabi

I actually enjoyed quite The Phantom Menace quite a bit as well. Really the only stuff that bothered me was Anakin and his Shmi's dialogue. Anakin dialogue at the end was particularly groan worthy. I loved everything else about the movie. Even Jar Jar didn't ruin the movie for me. Some of his stuff was funny and some wasn't so it ended up being wash for me. The pod race is probably my scene from all the films. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time and it just blew me away when I saw it. I remember going "A-ha" in the theatre when they revealed that Anakin had built C-3PO. That had always bothered me about The Empire Strikes Back.

nomis

kunonabi said:
I actually enjoyed quite The Phantom Menace quite a bit as well. Really the only stuff that bothered me was Anakin and his Shmi's dialogue. Anakin dialogue at the end was particularly groan worthy. I loved everything else about the movie. Even Jar Jar didn't ruin the movie for me. Some of his stuff was funny and some wasn't so it ended up being wash for me. The pod race is probably my scene from all the films. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time and it just blew me away when I saw it. I remember going "A-ha" in the theatre when they revealed that Anakin had built C-3PO. That had always bothered me about The Empire Strikes Back.

You almost had me there until you blew it at the end.

mrkgoo

bill0527 said:
Yeah that would be me.

Last time I was in a library they had the card catalog system where they had massive rows of index cards you had to sift through to find some cryptic series of numbers which were assigned to each and every book. So after you went through this giant pain in the ass and found this unending sequence of numbers, you would walk through aisles and aisles searching for the aisle that started with the first 3 numbers of your sequence. Then you'd look through a dozen shelves trying to find that book only to see that its been checked out.

I would certainly hope they're doing it different in the digital age, but back when I stopped going to the library, I just couldn't be bothered with it anymore.

MY city has dozens of libraries. I just log on look up books I want, order them, and they eventually arrive at my nearest library when they're free.

Then I just waltz in occasionally, drop off old books, pick-up new, don't even have to talk to anyone!

It's like netflix for books! And free!

Also, my library issues member cards with Scott Pilgrim on them.

JB1981

Marty Chinn said:
It's not a black and white issue. It's a varying degree of what is going too far. IMO, Empire Strikes Back was perfected in the 2004 release. It removed the scream from the 97 SE release. ROTJ was mostly fine in the 97 SE release, but got worse as time went on.
Except for the muppet number. The Sarlac Pit change irks me too, mostly because it just looks like shit

JB1981 said:
Except for the muppet number. The Sarlac Pit change irks me too, mostly because it just looks like shit

Like I said, mostly. The muppet number I could do without, but other than that, I don't mind the rest. It didn't make Jedi unwatchable or bad to me. Just like the random crap you see in Mos Eisley in Episode 4 doesn't bother me too much.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Count me in as a person who thinks most of the damage was done in the 1997 version.

The controversial revisions since then:

-Anakin in the 2004 RotJ
-Darth Vader NOOOOO in the 2011 RotJ

..they don't actually ruin anything for me. I "get" them as creative decisions, even if I wouldn't prefer it if given a choice.

But Greedo Shooting First, and all the CG nonsense and changed music.... it's movie-ruining, and it's all been there since 1997.

I'm not buying these Blu-rays right now... but it's not because I consider them significantly worse than the 2004 edition or anything.

JB1981

Marty Chinn said:
Like I said, mostly. The muppet number I could do without, but other than that, I don't mind the rest. It didn't make Jedi unwatchable or bad to me. Just like the random crap you see in Mos Eisley in Episode 4 doesn't bother me too much.
I can agree with that. Hell, I would have taken 1997 on blu ray and would have been fine with it.

BocoDragon said:
Count me in as a person who thinks most of the damage was done in the 1997 version.

The controversial revisions since then:

-Anakin in the 2004 RotJ
-Darth Vader NOOOOO in the 2011 RotJ

..they don't actually ruin anything for me. I "get" them as creative decisions, even if I wouldn't prefer it if given a choice.

But Greedo Shooting First, and all the CG nonsense and changed music.... it's movie-ruining, and it's all been there since 1997.

I'm not buying these Blu-rays right now... but it's not because I consider them significantly worse than the 2004 edition or anything.

For me, these are the five big issues since the 97 release:

1) Greedo shooting first
2) Luke screams as he falls
3) Jabba music scene
4) Vader yelling Nooooo at the end of Jedi
5) Hayden at the end of Jedi

One of those have since been fixed which means Empire is pretty much perfect now. Fix the rest, and I'd have no real issue with the rest of the changes. With the exception of the music number, all of them actually change the meaning of the content.

kunonabi

omnomis said:
You almost had me there until you blew it at the end.

It never made since that Vader would just let Chewbacca and Lando keep a droid during their captivity since they could possibly use him to escape. It always seemed like a plot hole to me since it would have made more sense to trash him for good. Once it turns out that C3P0 is his last link to his mother it makes sense that he would let them repair him.

NeoUltima

Am I the only one who's worst 'revision' was Jabba meeting Han at the Millennium Falcon in Ep IV?
No one ever talks about that one. It's the worst imo.

NeoUltima said:
Am I the only one who's worst 'revision' was Jabba meeting Han at the Millennium Falcon in Ep IV?

Nah, Greedo shooting first and Vader shouting "Noooooooooo" are far worse than that. I've always been ok with that sequence since I've known about that shot since I was a young kid and saw a picture of Han with the actor. So all my life I've always wanted to see that scene. On top of that the amazing Radio Dramas have a variation of that scene in it. So I've always felt it's been a part of Star Wars and it was great fan service to me to finally see it.

kunonabi said:
It never made since that Vader would just let Chewbacca and Lando keep a droid during their captivity since they could possibly use him to escape. It always seemed like a plot hole to me since it would have made more sense to trash him for good. Once it turns out that C3P0 is his last link to his mother it makes sense that he would let them repair him.

That's quite a stretch you've done there..... It's not a plot hole at all to begin with.....

Risette

A Good Citizen
kunonabi said:
But he's a protocol droid. What could he help them escape with?

Also this.

FyreWulff

NeoUltima said:

That one isn't too bad, except for the stupid comedy of stepping on his tail at that moment to deal with Han Solo walking around the actor. You'd think he would just cut around that or something.

NeoUltima

Marty Chinn said:
Nah, Greedo shooting first and Vader shouting "Noooooooooo" are far worse than that. I've always been ok with that sequence since I've known about that shot since I was a young kid and saw a picture of Han with the actor. So all my life I've always wanted to see that scene. On top of that the amazing Radio Dramas have a variation of that scene in it. So I've always felt it's been a part of Star Wars and it was great fan service to me to finally see it.
I think the scene is redundant. Han's dialogue is practically identical to the Greedo scene.
You can even see Greedo in the background of the Jabba scene. He came back from the dead?
The film should only have one or the other (and I prefer the Greedo scene).

Also, RotJ gave me the impression that Jabba was a fat old slob that could barely walk around. But in the scene he is walking around like a human (he originally was a human when they made ep 4). Scene should have stayed deleted imo.

NeoUltima said:
I think the scene is redundant. Han's dialogue is practically identical to the Greedo scene.
You can even see Greedo in the background of the Jabba scene. He came back from the dead?
The film should only have one or the other (and I prefer the Greedo scene).

Also, RotJ gave me the impression that Jabba was a fat old slob that could barely walk around. But in the scene he is walking around like a human (he originally was a human when they made ep 4). Scene should have stayed deleted imo.

That's not Greedo though. That's another Rodian. It's not totally redundant though either as he cuts a deal with Jabba to buy time. That deal wasn't in place before and it's mentioned in he dialog about how he killed Greedo.

The scene should have changed him to Heater from the radio drama instead of making him Jabba.

Here it is for reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9sP...st=PL68A847ECA3DF24C7&lf=results_main#t=0m50s

Also any fan of Star Wars must listen to the radio dramas. Amazing stuff.

NeoUltima

Marty Chinn said:
That's not Greedo though. That's another Rodian. It's not totally redundant though either as he cuts a deal with Jabba to buy time. That deal wasn't in place before and it's mentioned in he dialog about how he killed Greedo.

The scene should have changed him to Heater from the radio drama instead of making him Jabba.

Here it is for reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9sP...st=PL68A847ECA3DF24C7&lf=results_main#t=0m50s

Also any fan of Star Wars must listen to the radio dramas. Amazing stuff.
I still think they planned on only having one of those scenes in the movie. I just can't get past Han speaking the same exact line twice. And they probably just rewrote it to not be Greedo (he looks identical...that just confuses the audiences).

NeoUltima said:
I still think they planned on only having one of those scenes in the movie. I just can't get past Han speaking the same exact line twice. And they probably just rewrote it to not be Greedo (he looks identical...that just confuses the audiences).

Well the dialog mentions Greedo so the audience won't be confused. Plus given that both sequences existed for the movie and the radio drama, I don't think you're correct that only one was intended to be used. They're meant to co-exist. That doesn't mean you have to have both, but I don't think having both is the biggest sin either. It's pretty much Han kills one of Jabba's men, and then Han cuts a deal and smooth things over with Jabba over killing his guy and the money he owes. It's not a totally redundant scene. It's different if you kill his guy and bolt. It makes it look like you're screwing him over. Give the link a try. It fleshes it out pretty well I think.

JB1981

Marty Chinn said:

That's quite a stretch you've done there..... It's not a plot hole at all to begin with.....
My god I used to own the radio dramas on casette. I listened to then all the time as a kid, they were soooooo good. Are they out of print now?

JB1981 said:
My god I used to own the radio dramas on casette. I listened to then all the time as a kid, they were soooooo good. Are they out of print now?

Here ya go!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1598875809/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I still listen to them all the time and they're still just as good; at least Star Wars and Empire. Return of the Jedi is pretty decent but shorter compared to those two. Probably because it was only released more recently compared to the first two. Still nice to finally have to complete the trilogy.

Anyone who is a fan must listen to these; many of the deleted scenes are contained here and plus several never filmed such as Vader interrogating Leia.

yeah you guys who just keep buying yet complaining are just enablers. i've been fine with the VHS's i bought from goodwill and now Harmy is filling this void.

You are literally just enabling iconoclastic assholes to further destroy cultural icons

3rdman

kunonabi said:
LOL...Or maybe Lucas simply wanted to add extra merchandising power to the prequels by needlessly adding the two universally loved characters from the original trilogy.

tim1138

bill0527 said:
Yeah that would be me.

Last time I was in a library they had the card catalog system where they had massive rows of index cards you had to sift through to find some cryptic series of numbers which were assigned to each and every book. So after you went through this giant pain in the ass and found this unending sequence of numbers, you would walk through aisles and aisles searching for the aisle that started with the first 3 numbers of your sequence. Then you'd look through a dozen shelves trying to find that book only to see that its been checked out.

I would certainly hope they're doing it different in the digital age, but back when I stopped going to the library, I just couldn't be bothered with it anymore.

When was the last time you went to a library? Libraries transitioned to OPACs years and years ago.

3rdman

NeoUltima said:
I hate that one too...it would have made for a nice bonus in the "extras" section of the disk but it should never have been put in.

The scene diminishes the introduction of the Falcon and it offers nothing new. There is nothing discussed that we don't already know from the prior meeting with Greedo.

All of Mos Eisley is a mess...all that stupid CG.

Dead Man

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14944240

Interesting article, just quoting the last few paragraphs, it is a decent read.

Duchamp would contest that Lucas didn't know what he had produced back in 1977; it wasn't for him to judge back then, it's not for him to judge now. And by denying the public access to a work of art that they helped create is not within his rights, even though he owns the rights.

Bob Dylan has always complained that people read too much into his songs, just as Chance The Gardener was bemused in the film Being There when society decided his simple utterances were profound aphorisms.

In short, the artist is probably not the best person to judge their own artwork, and - in my view - Lucas should probably listen to his fans and allow all versions of the films to be seen (even if that means spending a few quid digitising the originals).

Cheech

I think it was Marty who asked, but yes, I think they really overhauled the audio in ANH. It sounds much, much better than the DVDs.

Now that I've watched good chunks of all 6 movies (watched all of ANH), I can safely say it was $80 well spent. These discs are easily the crown jewel of my collection. Now all I need is Raiders and I'm happy.

Cheech said:
I think it was Marty who asked, but yes, I think they really overhauled the audio in ANH. It sounds much, much better than the DVDs.

Now that I've watched good chunks of all 6 movies (watched all of ANH), I can safely say it was $80 well spent. These discs are easily the crown jewel of my collection. Now all I need is Raiders and I'm happy.

Hopefully next year for Raiders. I'll pick that up as soon as possible as well. Going to see a 30th Anniversary restored digital print in a couple of weeks. Can't wait.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
My Mind is Full of Fuck.jpg

I mean, I'm just dumb struck that he did that.
On the one hand, the resolution seems insane low now. On the other hand, it's not like it stuck out to me in the theater, so it's hard to imagine a point when I'll be "Why the hell am I only getting perfect theater quality visuals!?" for a home version.

Morn

Banned
Cheech said:

They fixed every single audio problem that's existed since the LD release.

Was tempted to pick this up this morning. But I've managed to stay strong. Like the LOTR EE blu-rays (and the green Fellowship, which may have been blown out of proportion but will annoy me nonetheless) the temptation will subside next week when something else comes along (New Vegas DLC) and I'll bide my time until Amazon has a sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom