• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

German GamePro gives BOTW 94/100, their 2nd highest Zelda review score ever

Hoo-doo

Banned
I find it funny when people compare scores for games that are totally different from each other, not to mention different reviewers.

It's just that the OP article states:

This Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review score makes it the 2nd highest rated game from GamePro with the #1 title being Grand Theft Auto IV.

Which is verifiable nonsense. They've rated dozens of games higher than 94.

I'm looking forward to the good-but-not-great score someone will eventually get that puts GAF in a tizzy. That's always fun.
Otherwise, every glowing review puts a jealous flush in my heart since I can't get it on launch. :'(

Malus

There's a reason gamepro is often reffered to as hypepro in germany

God Of War 2, Red Dead Redemption, Batman: Akrham City got 95% each
Super Mario Galaxy 1+2, Uncharted 3, killzone 3 94%

etc

Nothing really out of the ordinary there.

They underrated the Galaxy games by 6 percent each though, they need to reevaluate that :p

phanphare

Banned
Yeah it was obvious it was going to be great in the last few months. There was A LOT of doubt Nintendo would be be able to fully pull off the open world experience up until the reviews for BotW started hitting.

yeah pretty much, saw a lot of concern about the game being too large and empty looking and a lot of doubt they Nintendo would be able to fill it with meaningful things to do

There's a reason gamepro is often reffered to as hypepro in germany

God Of War 2, Red Dead Redemption, Batman: Akrham City got 95% each
Super Mario Galaxy 1+2, Uncharted 3, killzone 3 94%

etc

They changed their system this generation though. It's more difficult to get 90+ now and there haven't been a lot of games, who got it. 92 was the highest this gen, so this 94 means something imo. They gave 90+ scores for fun the last few gens, that's true.

And I don't know what's weird about GTA4 getting the highest score? I mean yeah it's overrated I know but people do realize that everyone gave it 10s. It's on 98 Metascore, so why should Gamepro be different. That was a collective fail by all the reviewers worldwide.

Realeza

Banned
Also, I refuse to accept this 100 scale GamePro ratings scale. It's this or nothing:
LPdDQqxl.png

Lmao at 2.5

Hasney

I'm looking forward to the good-but-not-great score someone will eventually get that puts GAF in a tizzy. That's always fun.
Otherwise, every glowing review puts a jealous flush in my heart since I can't get it on launch. :'(

Please, the glowing ones are already putting people in a tizzy. "But GTA! Other Zelda games I personally didn't like!!".

The low one will just send a whole other half of people into the tizzy and the planet will implode. IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT?!

Paskil

Link, let's go bowling.

Hope it's really good but personally, I doubt it will be my best open world game ever played. That belongs to FO:NV. That said, getting my switch Friday but due to plans, have to wait until Monday to play. :/

RootCause

As much as I loved SS, I'm glad their won't be any flying around.

perhaps but it became very clear when the previews started rolling in that it was going to be a good game
Kind of pointless after the fact. Doesn't change a single thing. Everyone and their momma said it was ubi tier open world game, and it wasn't a compliment. The time changed once reviews came out.

Effect

lol you're kidding right? Horizon proved everyone wrong. One of the most doubted games in recent memory, because it was a GG game.

Some of you live in la la land.
This. I doubted Horizons because of GG. They're the one with the extremely spotty background. Nintendo is one of the best game developers in existence. It can be argued they're the best. I had no doubt they'd deliver the goods. It was just a matter of how far they were willing to go and it seems they went pretty damn far to the point where they're likely reshaping expectations for the genre going forward .......again.

Kind of pointless after the fact. Doesn't change a single thing. Everyone and their momma said it was ubi tier open world game, and it wasn't a compliment. The time changed once reviews came out.

Plenty of people said this, yes.

And plenty of people said nothing of the sort.

That being said, I straight up said it looked like a better version of Far Cry Primal and I stick by that. But it was never meant as a bad thing.

phanphare

Banned

if you read the quote chain the first poster made it clear that he was talking about how Horizon seemed recently as in the past month or so

takriel

It's crazy how GTA IV and V got such high scores all around. I mean, they're great and all (at least V), but certainly not the best games ever made imo.

The Big N

Banned
How do we know this article is real? Their website doesn't have a score of Zelda, and the guy who wrote the article posted false information about previous scores the website has given...

So basically the premise of this thread is wrong but it still got a very high review for today's review climate.

Anyone have a summary/synopsis of the review?

Hoo-doo

Banned
How do we know this article is real? Their website doesn't have a score of Zelda, and the guy who wrote the article posted false information about previous scores the website has given...

Yeah, i'm guessing this is a no-name blog fishing for attention, unless there's a link somewhere.

It's true. The score isn't out official yet like the EDGE review. But Gamepro is a magazine and they already revealed the cover and some pages of the Zelda review and you can see the 94 score their. We talked about it already in the Zelda thread, I don't think it was newsworthy though. The only wrong misinformation by everyone is that 94 is the 2nd highest score, it's the 3rd highest score, because everyone missed the 97 from GTAV.

roddur

Never played GTA IV or V. BOTW has one thing stands out for me, 'Freedom'. How is this game in that aspect compares with the GTA games?

phanphare

Banned
Never played GTA IV or V. BOTW has one thing stands out for me, 'Freedom'. How is this game in that aspect compares with the GTA games?

all of the previews so far seem unanimous in that Zelda offers the player an unprecedented amount of freedom for an open world game

all of the previews so far seem unanimous in that Zelda offers the player an unprecedented amount of freedom for an open world game

Honest question, has there ever been an open world-style 3D game where you can climb literally any surface?

I'm wondering if that's actually one thing that is brand new for this Zelda.

Peltz

I honestly could have never imagined the consensus would be this would end up being the consensus best open world game of all time above the likes of Skyrim, Horizon, GTA V, etc just a month back but thats where things seem to be heading. Insane. Pretty remarkable for Nintendo's first true open world game ever. Still kind of in shock.

I'm not in shock. Nintendo has put many years into this game and they've always been a talented group.

jmizzal

Their highest score went to GTAIV? *cough* lol. OK. Still impressive but keeping expectations in check.

umm GTA4 got reviewed very high from every outlet its one of the highest reviewed games of all time on metacritic, why do people keep discounting scores from games that later on people decided wasnt as good

umm GTA4 got reviewed very high from every outlet its one of the highest reviewed games of all time on metacritic, why do people keep discounting scores from games that later on people decided wasnt as good

Yeah exactly. I mean it is overrated I agree with that. But everyone gave it their highest score. Did people mention it when they talked about the Edge review? They gave GTA4 also a 10.

phanphare

Banned
Honest question, has there ever been an open world-style 3D game where you can climb literally any surface?

I'm wondering if that's actually one thing that is brand new for this Zelda.

I can't think of one. going back to E3 last year no one seemed to be able to name a single game that offers the level of interactivity and player engagement that BotW does, and that was based off of a small demo of a small section of the game.

roddur

On PC, GTA
On Console, probably Zelda

I probably asked the question in a wrong way. What I meant a lot of you obviously played GTA games. So based on the previews, Zelda surely has the freedom do stuff you'd normally do in real life, multiple ways to solve things. What you guys think how much of that freedom GTA offers compare to Zelda.

Edit : no intention to derail the thread, just want to know

MicH

What is moot? Zelda always has a few CG design assistants from other companies, and so does Xenoblade actually.
The person I quoted claimed this was Nintendos first open world game since Xenoblade X didn't count. But that doesn't make any sense since the developers behind XCX are helping with development of Zelda

Kiote

Same outlet, I'm guessing probably not the same reviewer? Anyways I don't see much point in directly comparing review scores like "oh it scored x points higher than y game therefore..." especially when the difference is so tiny.

Still the good scores are exciting of course!

I think the OP was more trying to point out the relative stinginess of this outlet with review scores. They have never given out a perfect score and only one game, regardless of what it was, has ever scored higher.

Getting above a 90 from this review site likely means you are going to see a lot of 10s everywhere else.

maxcriden

Yeah exactly. I mean it is overrated I agree with that. But everyone gave it their highest score. Did people mention it when they talked about the Edge review? They gave GTA4 also a 10.

Is edge's score out? I'm on media blackout. They gave the game a 10?

phanphare

Banned
I probably asked the question in a wrong way. What I meant a lot of you obviously played GTA games. So based on the previews, Zelda surely has the freedom do stuff you'd normally do in real life, multiple ways to solve things. What you guys think how much of that freedom GTA offers compare to Zelda.

Edit : no intention to derail the thread, just want to know

take the reverse of my post, GTA does not offer as much freedom in comparison

unless I'm missing what you're trying to ask

Timeaisis

Not to be that guy, but are we going to get a new thread every time a review trickles in this week?

Don't we have another thread for that?

On topic: Fantastic score. I'm way too excited for this game.

I can't think of one. going back to E3 last year no one seemed to be able to name a single game that offers the level of interactivity and player engagement that BotW does, and that was based off of a small demo of a small section of the game.

Well yeah I'd agree easily that no 3D game has this type of interactivity and interplay between various systems, but people kept asking for one specific thing that Zelda does that is new, and sorta downplaying the whole "combination of things" aspect which I think is the real reason it shines.

But "new" wise I'm pretty sure the climbing any surface would fit. Kinda off topic though.

Not to be that guy, but are we going to get a new thread every time a review trickles in this week?

Print magazine reviews will be trickling in before the 2nd but that's when the general review embargo ends, so we'll probably have a big review thread a little before then.

KLoWn

I read on Reddit that they changed how they review games or something, and thus those scores were lowered.

I couldn't find that post again though.

*Edit*
This was before they changed up their review pattern. Before they were mainly reviewing for technical aspects resulting in weird ratings for some games. After the change they now also take atmosphere and setting as well as some other points into consideration. Since then their highest score is indeed a 95/100.
(^^^Not the post I was referring to though)

phanphare

Banned

there will be a review thread but the embargo lifts March 2nd so these reviews are coming early

Well yeah I'd agree easily that no 3D game has this type of interactivity and interplay between various systems, but people kept asking for one specific thing that Zelda does that is new, and sorta downplaying the whole "combination of things" aspect which I think is the real reason it shines.

But "new" wise I'm pretty sure the climbing any surface would fit. Kinda off topic though.

oh ok yeah, well I do think the climb whatever you want as long as you have the stamina is new. I can't recall an open world game where you were allowed to climb literally anything.

Top Bottom