• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

German GamePro gives BOTW 94/100, their 2nd highest Zelda review score ever

kromeo

They appreciate the greatness of Twilight Princess, I like this gamepro

Not sure why anyone cares about review scores for BotW, we know they're all going to be 9.5s and 10s

1249556.gif

https://shop.gamestar.de/$WS/webedia/websale8_shop-webedia/produkte/medien/pdf/gamepro/einzelausgaben/2017/GamePro_17-04_Leseprobe-1.pdf

I don't know if the link works, but here the proof from the magazine which is released in a few days.

Some sentences for the hype train from this preview:

Best and most impressive open world ever.
Best and most cinematic story in a zelda game ever.

m00h

Banned
Highest rated game is GTA IV? Haha, well, don't know how reliable their reviews are... but nice to read, it's not a disaster at least

Highest rated game is GTA IV? Haha, well, don't know how reliable their reviews are... but nice to read, it's not a disaster at least

You mean the reviews by pretty much every reviewer out there? GTA4 is on 98 metascore and one of the best games ever according to Metacritic.

Also it's wrong information in the OP. GTA5 is their highest rated game. Was a different time with a different system though, they don't give out 90+ scores for fun anymore.

Artdayne

GTA IV is a fantastic game

I found it was a massive step back from GTA San Andreas. The way it was reviewed was the first time I really began to question how some AAA titles were reviewed. I mean, I'm sure Zelda BOTW will be really good, just from what we've seen about the game so far but I'm always a bit skeptical until I get my hands on the game myself.

I just brought those titles up at random to illustrate the absurdity of ranking titles by review scores, no idea what they rated TLOU... and I'm assuming they haven't rated Pixar movies :p

You weren't even that far off :D

They gave The Last Of Us a 88 at release which got them a huge shitstorm^^
They even improved the score to 90 with the remaster.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
yeah pretty much, saw a lot of concern about the game being too large and empty looking and a lot of doubt they Nintendo would be able to fill it with meaningful things to do

Way back when they first showed some gameplay I thought the overworld looked very boring and empty. But looking at it now, it's a night and day difference. I'm watching some gameplay videos and I can see myself becoming overwhelmed with just how large and detailed it is. It seems like wherever you look there's something to go investigate.

I found it was a massive step back from GTA San Andreas. The way it was reviewed was the first time I really began to question how some AAA titles were reviewed. I mean, I'm sure Zelda BOTW will be really good, just from what we've seen about the game so far but I'm always a bit skeptical until I get my hands on the game myself.

GTA4 was a milestone in terms of world building, physics driven gameplay and scope.
It lost a lot of the fluff from SA, but honestly, what they did with Liberty City, the amazing driving physics (the physics allowed for wheels bending, weight distribution to affect grip etc)
In many respects the simulation still is better than GTA5.

At the time, the game had simply no equal.

phanphare

Banned
Way back when they first showed some gameplay I thought the overworld looked very boring and empty. But looking at it now, it's a night and day difference. I'm watching some gameplay videos and I can see myself becoming overwhelmed with just how large and detailed it is. It seems like wherever you look there's something to go investigate.

yeah I feel like it's going to be hard to stick to the story in this game. I'm imaging I'm going to get distracted a lot and then have to be like "ok focus, need to do X"

GTA4 was a milestone in terms of world building, physics driven gameplay and scope.
It lost a lot of the fluff from SA, but honestly, what they did with Liberty City, the amazing driving physics (the physics allowed for wheels bending, weight distribution to affect grip etc)
In many respects the simulation still is better than GTA5.

At the time, the game had simply no equal.

That's the problem. GTA was never meant to be a simulation. The stuff you consider "fluff" is actual integral to the series and what made it fun, and it's probably why you prefer it to GTA5, because you see it as a sim instead of the unrealistic sandbox that it was since the series' inception

Why do people keep saying "omg they gave GTAIV a high review?? Well I guess their score for BotW doesn't count!"

So who the hell counts? Every damn media outlet gave GTAIV a high score or it wouldn't be sitting so high in metacritic. I guess NO media outlet counts then since they all gave GTAIV a high score.

GamePro gave GTA IV a high score, so I will now add them to the list of outlets I will not take seriously regarding their BotW review.

With GamePro now added, here is a list of the media outlets that I can not take seriously, due to that outlet's high GTA IV review score:

Every single review outlet, ever

I honestly could have never imagined the consensus would be this would end up being the consensus best open world game of all time above the likes of Skyrim, Horizon, GTA V, etc just a month back but thats where things seem to be heading. Insane. Pretty remarkable for Nintendo's first true open world game ever. Still kind of in shock.

Hold on a second.

This is Nintendo and Zelda and you're "shocked"? Horizon had the most shit because of GG.

Man, if this game gets lower than 94 now, people are going to claim fake news on those sites.

Crazyorloco

Why are we comparing Zelda and GTA IV? Different planets. I would compare GTA IV to other GTA's and if that's the case then that high score is warranted given the time.

They appreciate the greatness of Twilight Princess, I like this gamepro

Not sure why anyone cares about review scores for BotW, we know they're all going to be 9.5s and 10s

You know there's always that chance that the main Zelda games might not be so good. Especially when they have made so many changes to this Zelda game.

But yeah. It's absolutely amazing to see the main games stay consistently good for so many years...and to think - possibly the best is yet to come friday.

maxcriden

Your willpower is commendable, I've been knee deep in the preview thread hype for days now.

Let's just say a lot of people are saying this is going to be a good game.

Thanks man! Yeah, it has been difficult, lol. I was a little worried about even coming into this thread but it seemed okay.

Asd202

What's the difference between a 93 and 94? :p

maxcriden

Thanks. Same reviewer on both?

And, what did they give other Zelda games?

I checked, they gave Wind Waker, Four Swords Adventures, Twilight Princess and Phantom Hourglass a 9/10, Minish Cap, Spirit Tracks and Link Between Worlds an 8/10, and Tri Force Heroes a 6/10. I can't find scores for OOT/MM regular or 3D, or the Oracle games.

Pandy

Why are people being silly about GTAIV scores?
It's one of the most highly rated video games of all time, which means for a whole bunch of sites it will still be their top rated game (or tied for websites that score out of 10 or 5, or whatever).

EDIT: Just did a quick check of Metacritic for the 360 version. 70 out of 86 reviews were at 95 or above.

CrazyHorse

You're right.

GTAV got a 97
Batman: Arkham City got a 95
Red Dead got a 95
God of War 2 got a 95
RE4 got a 94
Killzone 3 got a 94
Uncharted 3 got a 94
AC: Black Flag got a 94
Deep 3D: Submarine Odyssey got a 94 (What is this game even?)

Sacrilege

skypunch

Banned
https://shop.gamestar.de/$WS/webedia/websale8_shop-webedia/produkte/medien/pdf/gamepro/einzelausgaben/2017/GamePro_17-04_Leseprobe-1.pdf

I don't know if the link works, but here the proof from the magazine which is released in a few days.

Some sentences for the hype train from this preview:

Best and most impressive open world ever.
Best and most cinematic story in a zelda game ever.

What does this even mean?

Top Bottom