• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb Phil Spencer Interview: Clarifications Regarding Scorpio and Xbox One S

Damage control

krabs_rag3do.jpg

Zedox

I think people need to really watch the interview instead of just reading the sparknotes. The only thing we don't know definitely is how they will handle VR games (that can't be played nor were designed for a "2D" version). Everything else for the most part has been cleared up. If you still don't understand after watching the interview, the only thing I can say is watch it again until you do. LOL.

Sulik2

The 2021 refresh better not still have to support the 2013 XBone for games. Devs need to be able to move on to more powerful machines at some point.

man i don't understand why no one asks these important questions will will scorpio games be allowed to be 60fps while xbone is at 30fps, and will developers be able to add a few simple option like 4k or 1080/60fps.

Zedox

There will not be a true next gen, you are in the infinite generation

hence the "beyond generations" part of their presser

Well, it's going to obviously be when the Xbox One fades out because another inflection point as Phil stated happens and the XBO isn't powerful enough to play those games and enough people have Scorpios at that point so there's no need to support the XBO. Or let's say the inflection point is around another architecture and they bring VM to support BC...those other consoles will be left behind. It all depends on the technology that happens.

GHG

The 2021 refresh better not still have to support the 2013 XBone for games. Devs need to be able to move on to more powerful machines at some point.

Of course it won't. They will end official support for the Xbox one at some point and Scorpio will become the new baseline.

It won't be for a few years though until Scorpio can be sold at around current Xbox One prices.

GavinGT

Banned
You asked about Vr. Almost every sentence on your original post had vr in it. Are you or are you not asking about vr?

It's like we're talking different languages here...his line about "no Scorpio exclusives" has nothing to do with anything outside of the Xbox ecosystem. I don't know why you're trying to frame it any other way.

SOR5

The best thing about the whole interview is. Phil wearing a Quantum Break shirt and giving little pokes to Jeff about his review haha.

and

Phil: I'll get the Twitter comments saying "Thanks for putting all of your games on PC now I dont have to buy your Xbox Ones"

Jeff: And they think thats coming off as snide.

Phil: And im like dang! You figured out a hole in my...but im kind of more of the sentiment "Thanks for playing our games"

greenegt

Now that the dust has settled from yesterday, I am getting more and more pumped for Scorpio. I was initially resistant to the iterative console model, but I'm ready for it, now. Devs have done an excellent job given the current hardware (especially on PS4) and I'm salivating at what they will be able to do on Scorpio/Neo.

GHG

Now that the dust has settled from yesterday, I am getting more and more pumped for Scorpio. I was initially resistant to the iterative console model, but I'm ready for it, now. Devs have done an excellent job given the current hardware (especially on PS4) and I'm salivating at what they will be able to do on Scorpio/Neo.

It's good news for PC gamers too as it means the baseline on 3rd party games will move up at a faster rate.

Darkwater

So Phil acknowledges that Scorpio is 4.5x more powerful than the one, but somehow we'll only see a teeny bit of performance increase? So teeny that it's not really worth it to get Scorpio with a 1080p tv? Pish posh. The numbers don't add up. Xbox One-games with scalable internal res should go like stink (1080p internal res, 60fps all the time) on Scorpio in 1080p. Now will they or will they not?

dude

dude
I really like Phil in interviews. Regardless of whether I agree with the direction MS is going or not, he comes off as very sincere and like-able.

Kibbles

There will not be a true next gen, you are in the infinite generation

hence the "beyond generations" part of their presser
Guess I'll wait till they ultimately transition into exclusives that will take full advantage of the power

💀💀💀

amdb00mer

Great interview. More people need to watch this. So many angry threads or thread with incorrect information out there. I can't believe Major Nelson even had to go on Geoff Keighley's show to assure gamers that the Xbox One S came with a controller. Anybody that believed MS would sell a console without a controller should turn in their gamer badge and common sense badge.

GavinGT

Banned
So Phil acknowledges that Scorpio is 4.5x more powerful than the one, but somehow we'll only see a teeny bit of performance increase? So teeny that it's not really worth it to get Scorpio with a 1080p tv? Pish posh. The numbers don't add up. Xbox One-games with scalable internal res and framerate should go like stink on Scorpio in 1080p. Now will they or will they not?

Watch the interview.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Here's the full quote:

Giant Bomb said:
Brad Shoemaker: "That was actually something that I was curious about that when you talk about 4K being the emphasis of that thing, will there be any mandate coming out of Microsoft toward developers saying like 'You should really focus on 4K here' or is it like carte blanche for them to pursue that extra power?"

Jeff Gerstmann: "If they just want to have a 1K (1080p) frame buffer, and then, you know, upres to 4K, to take advantage of and use that power in different ways..."

Phil Spencer: "Yeah, we will absolutely be open to that. I mean we're going to talk more specifics of Project Scorpio, so we'll get into more of the details, but I think creative freedom in how you want to use the power of the box is something that I always support. I mean, I came from first party as you know, so putting the right tools in the hands of the creators, the best creators, is our job as the platform. One thing though that we should make sure everyone understands, every game that comes out in the Xbox One family will run on the original Xbox One, Xbox One S, and Scorpio, so we had some questions if there are going to be Scorpio exclusive games. No, the line of games you get to play is the same, regardless of [one you own]."

Demoskinos

A staunch reminder that Jeff is and will always be one of the best in the business. He doesn't pull punches with his questions and he asks the smart questions. And he does it in a way that doesn't put the person he is interviewing on the defensive.

theWB27

It's like we're talking different languages here...his line about "no Scorpio exclusives" has nothing to do with anything outside of the Xbox ecosystem. I don't know why you're trying to frame it any other way.

Ok..thanks for not answering. I'll move on. It's pretty clear what's happening on my end. I'll settle for that.

timlot

Banned
I don't like this, most devs will choose 4K 30 fps, over 1080p60.

I hope they do go 4K30fps if they can't hit 4K60fps.

The pixel count jump from 1080p to 4k is 6,220,800 pixels
The jump from 720p to 1080p is only 1,152,000 pixels

I personal would sacrifice 60fps on (some) games that can't manage that to get a more than 5x increase in pixel clarity

GavinGT

Banned
I did. What did I get wrong?

- If the game is native 4k, you won't see a huge improvement on a 1080p screen
- However, there's no 4k mandate, so devs can target 1080p and make a game that looks really good on a 1080p screen
- Existing scalable res games will be at their max res more of the time on Scorpio

Ok..thanks for not answering. I'll move on. It's pretty clear what's happening on my end. I'll settle for that.

You're hurting my brain, so let's just drop it.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
While they won't say it now for obvious reasons, at some point (my guess is 2018/2019) they'll tell Devs they don't have to support Xbox One/S anymore if they don't want to.

derFeef

It's going to be curious seeing games that take advantage of Scorpio's power on the One S and how they handle that there.

Jimm

surely with a console this powerful/this much of a leap they will 'shut off' xbox one support and start making scorpio exclusive games? right?

You'd think so. Especially considering he said and maybe another one in 4-5 years. Another XB1? What will the XB1.3 play the same Ganges as the original but the originals will look like shit.

This whole thing seems so strange. But i guess it's ALMOST the same as launching a new console every 5 years and then making it backwards compatible with the same OS. Which doesn't sound that bad.

Darkwater

- If the game is native 4k, you won't see a huge improvement on a 1080p screen
- However, there's no 4k mandate, so devs can target 1080p and make a game that looks really good on a 1080p screen
- Existing scalable res games will be at their max res more of the time on Scorpio

Then the One and the One S will, at least in some cases, be seen as an inferior console, which goes against Microsoft's 'no one gets left behind' philosophy.

derFeef

Then the One and the One S will, at least in some cases, be seen as an inferior console, which goes against Microsoft's 'no one gets left behind' philosophy.

You can still play the games, so it holds true.
Still curious how they handle the downgrade of the games.

GavinGT

Banned

"No one gets left behind" means everyone can play the same games. Of course the older, cheaper console is going to be inferior.

BFIB

Current narrative makes sense, but I expect that will change in a few years. No way MS and Sony release these consoles without expectation to eventually have them lead the platform, instead of handicapping to the base model.

Top Bottom