• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb Phil Spencer Interview: Clarifications Regarding Scorpio and Xbox One S

either your reading comprehension needs improvement or youre spreading bullshit deliberately so which is it ?

that quote is obviously talking about graphics options ingame, so sliders for resolution/fov/fps/AA

Speaking of improving one's reading comprehension, or being offensive for no reason...

They are clearly referencing to what players should expect from Scorpio - and what not. The article is not about graphics "options" in terms "setup-options" available for players, it's about additional graphic features.

For the German speaking members, here's the original part I was referencing:

Niemand sollte Dinge erwarten, die man von PC-Spielen kennt: Leistungsfähigere Computer können in Spielen höhere Details, komplexere Effekte und bessere Texturauflösungen aktivieren [Anm.: weil es sie überhaupt gibt!]. Diese Art von Verbesserung in Form grafischer Zusatzoptionen liefert Project Scorpio aber nicht.

They can't "activate" those not because there is no option to do so, but because there are no features on the disc (like, high-res textures or models) which could be activated in the first place.

Speaking of improving one's reading comprehension, or being offensive for no reason...

They are clearly referencing to what players should expect from Scorpio - and what not. The article is not about graphics "options" in terms "setup-options" available for players, it's about additional graphic features.

They can't "activate" those not because there is no option to do so, but because there's no feature on the disc (like, high-res textures or models) which could be activated in the first place.

So both the Neo and Scorpio are in the same boat apart from the fact that Scorpio is considerably more powerful than the Neo and should achieve higher resolutions?

Helznicht

What the hell is further than that?

If a peripheral / controller works in windows 10 with its current drivers, it should work on an xbox.

If I get FH3, I will be playing on my PC with my DFGT. If I want to continue playing upstairs on my Xbox, I want to continue playing with my DFGT. Same with flight sticks, etc...

So both the Neo and Scorpio are in the same boat apart from the fact that Scorpio is considerably more powerful than the Neo and should achieve higher resolutions?

Depends how you read Sony's guidelines for devs on that mandatory Neo mode. I doubt Neo is powerful enough to render games like UC4 in 4k, so maybe the prefer an approach with higher fps and better effects instead of enlarging the resolution, like, for example, playing UC4 in 60fps with the character models from the cutscenes? My personal impression is that MS clearly has native 4k rendering as (the) major proposition in mind when they talk about their vision for Scorpio.

Multiplatform games will run the same or better than the other platforms, exclusives will boast 4K visuals, VR will appear on Scorpio if proven successful through Sony and PC.

I'm ready!

Zedox

If a peripheral / controller works in windows 10 with its current drivers, it should work on an xbox.

If I get FH3, I will be playing on my PC with my DFGT. If I want to continue playing upstairs on my Xbox, I want to continue playing with my DFGT. Same with flight sticks, etc...

I see what you mean. I think that it would be up to the developer to support that in the sense that console players have an expectation of playing against (co-op should be fine) people with a controller...so the developer should be wary of that. I do think for singleplayer games, totally should be able to play with whatever thing you want.

You compare apples to oranges, Scorpio games are not the same as independent PC games you can buy on retail stores or steam. The have different content (graphics-wise) compared their XBOX One - and PS4 - counterparts, while you won't find a separate "Scorpio version" on your XBOX One Blu-Ray.

Here are some insights from a German gamepro.de about that topic:

http://www.gamepro.de/xbox/news/3274461/xbox_one_project_scorpio.html

You assume the one version of the game that ships is not going to have the additional features/content. There is no real reason to assume that. If their model is to make this at all similar to the PC platform, which they have alluded to somewhat, there would be the additional features/content available for download.

bidguy

Banned
My personal impression is that MS clearly has native 4k rendering as (the) major proposition in mind when they talk about their vision for Scorpio.

good for you but your impression is not a fact. whats a fact is that phil spencer said devs can use power however they want and 4k isnt something they force on every dev

Trup1aya

What about multiplayer? I hope the framerate and resolution stays the same as the less powerful models, its more fair.

Shouldn't really be an issue. PC gaming works just fine with players on different hardware.

How pissed would you be if you spent several hundred dollars so that you could get the 4K60 and framerate possible, but when you went online, your game capped out at 1080p30?

On the flipside of that, if your playing on your Xbox 1 S, how would you even know what kind of performance your teammates/opponents are getting. Just play the game.

On another note, regarding VR, I think we need to use a little bit of common sense. There is no headset on the market that can work with the current Xbox One hardware. So any game that releases with VR support
will obviously have that functionality disabled for people that are playing on the lower end console. The specifically mention Fallout 4 VR, and setting out to make a console that can handle it. Obviously the Xbox One S isn't that console.

JaggedSac

Why is it so hard to understand one god damn thing?

Devs can do whatever THE FUCK they want with the power.

Bottom line is, games will be available across all Xbox devices.

This is it, there is no rocket science stuff.

Lol, yeah. Devs will have at least 6tf to make games with, games will reflect that. Pretty simple really.

Trup1aya

Regarding Xbox after Scorpio:

A few years after Scorpio drops, it will be time to stop using the OG Xbox One as a baseline for console development. At this time, I think we'll see the beginning of a new product family. I'll dub it the Xbox 2 family for now.

Here's where the "end of generations" philosophy kicks in. When the first Xbox 2 drops, the mandate will be that the Scorpio is the new baseline. This is important because the Scorpio would likely be extremely well priced for mass market consumption at this time and already have an installed base. Also the extremely price conscious could upgrade to the Scorpio rather than the costly xb2. This way Xbox 2 developers have an easier learning curve and less risk involved in supporting the newest hardware. Also consumer have less reason to wait late into the hardware cycle before upgrading. Launch Xbox 2 titles would take advantage of the power gap between Scorpio and xb2 in the same manner that the Scorpio takes advantage of the gap between it and xb1S.

Trup1aya

They can't "activate" those not because there is no option to do so, but because there are no features on the disc (like, high-res textures or models) which could be activated in the first place.

This has been addressed... It was briefly touched on in the GB interview, but I also read an interview from one of the 1st party devs.

When developing games for PC, the masters already use 4K assets... The assets are the downresed for less capable hardware (i.e. Consoles). MS is asking that the Scorpio version use the assets that already exist for the PC version of the upcoming game.

There are still details to be ironed out for distribution. Do you include everything on the disk since you don't know what hardware the customer will be using. Or do you require a download for additional content.

One things for sure, currently available xb1 games arent going to be able to instantly take full advantage of 4K output, not without some sort of content update. Out of the box though, I would imagine that games that have dynamic res, or fluctuating framerate should be able to maximize their existing frame buffers.

But for games that come out between now and the end of the Xbox one family, such considerations can be made ahead of time.

I think MS are now focussing on allowing us to "retain our investment" and making sure that going forward their new systems will be backwards compatible is because of the amount of people that jumped ship to PS4 from 360. I hold my hand up as one of them as well as pretty much all my friends. It was an easy choice to make at the time because none of our old games would work on XB1 so we would be starting from scratch regardless. With something like this in place it would make the more difficult to decide to jump ship.

Now however with the PS4 I have gone all digital for my games and because of that I kind of feel tied to Sony's ecosystem. If I want to go over to MS I can't trade in all those games so it's just dead money so I feel like I have to stay with Sony for good now.

I think MS are now focussing on allowing us to "retain our investment" and making sure that going forward their new systems will be backwards compatible is because of the amount of people that jumped ship to PS4 from 360. I hold my hand up as one of them as well as pretty much all my friends. It was an easy choice to make at the time because none of our old games would work on XB1 so we would be starting from scratch regardless. With something like this in place it would make the more difficult to decide to jump ship.

Now however with the PS4 I have gone all digital for my games and because of that I kind of feel tied to Sony's ecosystem. If I want to go over to MS I can't trade in all those games so it's just dead money so I feel like I have to stay with Sony for good now.

Yup, they want to keep people in their ecosystem and attract more people to it. That's why I can't see them ditching Xbox consoles any time soon either, because Xbox consoles can be a great gateway to their ecosystem for new generations of gamers, and all this work MS is doing now will go towards helping keep people tied to their ecosystem in the future. Imagine a young kid getting into Xbox now, and think how much money they could make from them if they can keep them invested in the MS ecosystem throughout the many years of their life.

About the backwards comp. can I use the the physical 360 discs with it or do they mean 360 games on the store ? how does it work exactly?
because if it plays my physical 360 games than ill buy this day 1

etta

my hard graphic balls
Wait are you saying they can't fit different graphical options and settings on the same disc?

About the backwards comp. can I use the the physical 360 discs with it or do they mean 360 games on the store ? how does it work exactly?

Well currently, the Xbox One just uses your physical 360 discs as a key of sorts to let you download/play the game. I'd imagine it wouldn't be hard for the Scorpio to do the same. Fingers crossed.

360 discs already work on xbone, and will work with slim and scorpio too.

TrackZ

I do think that out of all the companies MS is giving the most choice of where you can play your games and with what input you want to play your games (when they get that mouse support). I think that's really good for consumers. Yes, you still live in their garden but it still is the biggest garden. They definitely need some work with the store and I'm hopeful by this time next year (scorpio) the only "big" thing left would be unblessed mods (and I honestly don't see that happening but we shall see).

As an Xbox owner and PC owner (just gotta upgrade) I do hope that third parties also make Play Anywhere games (in addition to Steam games to satisfy that crowd).

A future where third-parties are all in on Play Anywhere and all the games on Xbox are there can't get here soon enough for me.

Sooner or later, there will be games that run only on Scorpio and the next machine and so on. The power differences are too great to work around that.

breadtruck

I stared on the full-interview, but then I noticed its 5 hours long. Maybe some other day.

Glad to read that there's no Scorpio exclusives, at least not for a long time, as I just got my Xbone not that long ago.

[edit] just realized they arent talking to Phil the whole time, lol, guess I can handle this :p

I stared on the full-interview, but then I noticed its 5 hours long. Maybe some other day.

Glad to read that there's no Scorpio exclusives, at least not for a long time, as I just got my Xbone not that long ago.

The interview is 45 minutes roughly, the rest of the video is other guests on that day of E3.

Edit: you noticed :)

TrackZ

either your reading comprehension needs improvement or youre spreading bullshit deliberately so which is it ?

that quote is obviously talking about graphics options ingame, so sliders for resolution/fov/fps/AA

Scorpio doesn't need sliders like a PC game does. It's a fixed system. The developer should preset the config for the "best" options for a given game, not the end user. PC has manual sliders because it's disparate hardware.

That being said, Scorpio games better darn well look like High/Ultra fidelity settings on PC with all the bells and whistles enabled. Otherwise, they are making a grave mistake with the device.

Taking a muddy, blurry, low effect Xbox One preset game and just scaling up the resolution will not make all that much better of a picture.

TrackZ

The Xbox One game builds of today's games that run today and will run on Scorpio will be missing those features. Just today though. I would hope/expect/assume that MS pushes hard for devs to make day 1 Scorpio patches for the existing library that turns all the eye candy on in the Scorpio config of the game.

Sooner or later, there will be games that run only on Scorpio and the next machine and so on. The power differences are too great to work around that.

On the contrary, the difference in either power or ram doesn't seem to be that great to the point where something is possible on one but not another.

As a reference, Xbox1 to 360 saw such a bump that 360 could do more calculations per frame than xbox could do per second. That means there are algorithms that wouldn't run in any way on xbox at decent framerates that could run on 360 just fine.

Xbone to scorpio is not there yet. For instance, scorpio is still not powerful enough to ray trace an entire game, or provide any kinda of simulation that just couldn't be scaled back to work on xbone.

SOR5

If theres one way I can really round things down to you

e0cf1cb2df2eeff97a260e0ea0561b69_M.jpg

The Xbox One will play Xbox One games

xb1-1-375x286.jpg

The Xbox One S will provide an enhanced form factor, 4K media playback and HDR

xbox_scorpio_is_xbox_two_e3_2016_reveal.png

Project Scorpio will provide (for a premium cost) the same benefits of Xbox One S but with native 4K graphics, increased performance in games and potentially more.

All three of the consoles will share the same library of games, the same accessories and the same ecosystem. There will be no exclusives, or to quote Microsoft: No one will be left behind

The easiest way to sum things up is 'What you get is what you pay for' if you're happy with a lower-end and cheaper Xbox, use that one, if you're willing to wait for a more expensive machine with increased benefits, get that one, however do not worry about not being able to connect to your friends, play with them, use your existing accessories and games etc. etc.

Hairsplash

So why buy a XBOX one X ?... it has more than 3 times the GPU power off a xbox one!... the game has to look vastly different between consoles!, or there is no need to buy the X1X.
(And i am not talking about 4K... people like 60fps, so if the X1X does not have 1080p60 and all games...HARD PASS (i have made my peace with the ps4pro and this feature... my 1K+ dollar games collection makes me do so)

I bought the ps4pro mainly due to "pro" in the title (vanity)... and because the games looked better.
BUT, when i look at the ps4pro i feel that it is built better (remove the top cover and the ps4pro is cooler, (should add a screen acting as "sunglasses" lol... really dust filter) ...the fan that is in the ps4pro exudes quality...

But i will not be buying the X1X, BUT If it looked like the development console, or specically that display that was built in them, i would, but otherwise for me it is a pass...

TL;DR... microsoft, you are going to have to make the X1X the superior console, and leave the Xbox one playing the "low details, low texture" version of the game.

If i do not feel special buying the console, buy not buy the cheaper version?

(BTW, the ps4 has 50% more gpu than the Xbox one... so it is not the cheaper version of the ps4pro... it is the OG version.)

the ps4pro made me feel special through the "pro" title and the upgraded versions of games i already have. (I bought at least three games because they had pro modes HZD,ROTTR,J&D, COD... etc)

Lone Wolf

So why buy a XBOX one X ?... it has more than 3 times the GPU power off a xbox one!... the game has to look vastly different between consoles!, or there is no need to buy the X1X.
(And i am not talking about 4K... people like 60fps, so if the X1X does not have 1080p60 and all games...HARD PASS (i have made my peace with the ps4pro and this feature... my 1K+ dollar games collection makes me do so)

I bought the ps4pro mainly due to "pro" in the title (vanity)... and because the games looked better.
BUT, when i look at the ps4pro i feel that it is built better (remove the top cover and the ps4pro is cooler, (should add a screen acting as "sunglasses" lol... really dust filter) ...the fan that is in the ps4pro exudes quality...

But i will not be buying the X1X, BUT If it looked like the development console, or specically that display that was built in them, i would, but otherwise for me it is a pass...

TL;DR... microsoft, you are going to have to make the X1X the superior console, and leave the Xbox one playing the "low details, low texture" version of the game.

(BTW, the ps4 has 50% more gpu than the Xbox one... so it is not the cheaper version of the ps4pro... it is the OG version.)

the ps4pro made me feel special through the "pro" title and the upgraded versions of games i already have. (I bought at least three games because they had pro modes HZD,ROTTR,J&D, COD... etc)
Why was this thread bumped and can someone translate this for me.

raw

Top Bottom