• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb Phil Spencer Interview: Clarifications Regarding Scorpio and Xbox One S

nillapuddin

I'm excited for options in the console apace. Hopefully I can afford a Scorpio, neo, vr and a 4ktv lol.

I gotta wonder, would it be better to have an hdr 1080p TV and benefit from downsampling, or get a 4ktv and visuals that are possibly upscaled a bit but with more pixels? Guess it's too early to tell.

link1201

I think its important to note the difference here between the difference between the 360 and the one and the one and scorpio. Between the 360 and one there is a gulf of graphics tech...360 was dx9 and one is dx11/12. The 360 cannot do tesselation and a range of other graphics tech

Between the one and scorpio should really only be a power difference. The technology differences should be minimal. Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong :)
I don't know enough to tell if you're right or wrong but my main point of posting that pic was to express my desire for the Base Xbox to suffer not the Scorpio. I don't want/need the extra power if it isn't going to get used. Count me in if there's going to be a noticeable difference aside from the 4K stuff.

GavinGT

Banned
Dynamic res games will do better. On a console that is 4.5x as powerful as the One is now, they will do worlds better. If that's not what you would call 'leaving X1/S owners behind', then I don't know what is.

I don't even notice the resolution changes when playing Halo 5, so I really wouldn't say that's a world of difference.

Ok, because the below bullet makes it sound like a developer can develop for Scorpio, but also has to develop for Xbox One and it's accessories. Not that Xbox One accessories is directly supported by Scorpio.

"Developers must support the Xbox One as well (alongside existing accessories)"

KodiakGT

I'm not sure what you mean.

EDiT:

I'm telling you, man. If Scorpio can do what it likes on 1080p displays, it's going to seriously hurt the X1/S and their owners.

How? Do PC owners get hurt when someone releases a game that they can only run on medium instead of ultra because it needs higher specs?

You're making it seem like this sort of thing has never been done before in gaming. The only point I'd concede on it hurting XB1/S owners is it might give devs less incentive to optimize, because they can just power through certain things with Scorpio. But then again, why would they want to release a poorly optimized game to the hardware with the highest install base? It may become a problem later on once Scorpio install base is > 50% compared to old iterations.

SOR5

I think its important to note the difference here between the difference between the 360 and the one and the one and scorpio. Between the 360 and one there is a gulf of graphics tech...360 was dx9 and one is dx11/12. The 360 cannot do tesselation and a range of other graphics tech

Between the one and scorpio should really only be a power difference. The technology differences should be minimal. Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong :)

I think you're right, I think I remember the 360 doing tesselation and DX11, but that's not the point

Yep.

Speaking of controllers, I think the Elite controller should be included with Scorpio.

And make an expensive box even more expensive? I think one SKU like this wouldn't be bad, but a SKU with a regular controller and modest HDD would be best, IMO. Many of us already have external HDDs and Elite controllers anyway. I think options are important in this case.

Darkwater

I don't even notice the resolution changes when playing Halo 5, so I really wouldn't say that's a world of difference.

Maybe not in Halo 5, but is it impossible to imagine a future game that performs acceptably on a 1080p screen on Scorpio and not acceptably on a 1080p screen on the X1/S? The processing power has been multiplied by 4.5! The possibility is absolutely there. Even if MS dictates to developers that games should always run acceptably on the weakest consoles, it's still creating a gap that I honestly describe as that whole 'leaving behind' thing that they promise not to do.

If they do give devs a mandate for a minimum performance level for the X1/S, I would be curious to see what numbers they ask for in terms of internal res and fps.

c0de

So no VR after all?

Or will the Xbox One and Xbox One S have VR games as well?

The fact that you have to go around looking for a precise interview shows he ain't doing a good job communicating anything.

You are playing intentionally dumb just for the discussion, right?

Darkwater

How? Do PC owners get hurt when someone releases a game that they can only run on medium instead of ultra because it needs higher specs?

You're making it seem like this sort of thing has never been done before in gaming. The only point I'd concede on it hurting XB1/S owners is it might give devs less incentive to optimize, because they can just power through certain things with Scorpio. But then again, why would they want to release a poorly optimized game to the hardware with the highest install base? It may become a problem later on once Scorpio install base is > 50% compared to old iterations.

This isn't PC. One of the reasons you would buy a console is because you don't need to have hardware envy. But with Scorpio, you do. Or at least you can. And we should recognize that.

You make an interesting point about optimization. Still, Microsoft is creating a gap with Scorpio. Can't argue with that.

KodiakGT

This isn't PC. One of the reasons you would buy a console is because you don't need to have hardware envy. But with Scorpio, you do. Or at least you can. And we should recognize that.

You make an interesting point about optimization. Still, Microsoft is creating a gap with Scorpio. Can't argue with that.

Well I'm not sure about hardware envy, but it does set up some interesting things related to advertising. Like when they show a new Xbox One game on TV will the footage be Scorpio? After purchase will people feel like they've gotten a bait and switch similar to when early previews/demos are run on PCs instead of consoles at conferences etc?

GavinGT

Banned
Maybe not in Halo 5, but is it impossible to imagine a future game that performs acceptably on a 1080p screen on Scorpio and not acceptably on a 1080p screen on the X1/S? The processing power has been multiplied by 4.5! The possibility is absolutely there. Even if MS dictates to developers that games should always run acceptably on the weakest consoles, it's still creating a gap that I honestly describe as that whole 'leaving behind' thing that they promise not to do.

This seems like a non-issue to me. It's a new console, of course it's going to perform better. People buy new phones every few years and don't complain that their old one is eclipsed by newer technology. You can keep saying "this is a console though", but this is the new console paradigm.

No longer confused. Good job on the interview. Just not sure it's all that enticing yet. Very much a wait and see, even more so after e3. The games are really just getting going, I think I'm fine with PS4 for a while.

As usual I agree. The point is not the fact that a gap exists, but the fact that that gap is too BIG.

Basically I can't tell and I can't understand whether Xbox Scorpio offers a "generational" leap or not

To me it looks like it's too powerful to be mid-gen and too weak to be "next-gen"

SOR5

Ok, because the below bullet makes it sound like a developer can develop for Scorpio, but also has to develop for Xbox One and it's accessories. Not that Xbox One accessories is directly supported by Scorpio.

"Developers must support the Xbox One as well (alongside existing accessories)"

Sure, I'll amend that for you

Darkwater

This seems like a non-issue to me. It's a new console, of course it's going to perform better.

If I were an X1/S owner, I would see this as an issue. If you're saying it's not, then the rules of console gaming have changed. Scorpio still falls under the same generation as the One? Then that means that (vast) performance differences coming from a glorified console refresh are now a thing. You agree, yes?

GavinGT

Banned
If I were an X1/S owner, I would see this as an issue. If you're saying it's not, then the rules of console gaming have changed. Scorpio still falls under the same generation as the One? Then that means that (vast) performance differences coming from a glorified console refresh are now a thing. You agree, yes?

Yes, about a 4.5x difference. That's what lots of us are excited about. And the fact that I can buy a Scorpio and my friends don't have to upgrade is a win-win for everyone.

Darkwater

Yes, about a 4.5x difference. That's what lots of us are excited about. And the fact that I can buy a Scorpio and my friends don't have to upgrade is a win-win for everyone.

When they realize that on the X1 the dynamic res hovers somewhere around 900p (or lower? not a console gamer myself) and the framerate around 30 while you're zooming through the same game at butter-smooth framerates and the full internal 1080p rendering resolution, your friends might not exactly still feel they 'don't have to upgrade'.

Sure, they'll feel that way if they don't know what constitutes properly good resolution, framerates and level of detail in 2017, but otherwise they'll be a bit salty, I wager.

Xbox One users may be 'peasants' (quoting, meaning no offense) in a graphical sense, but at least all these peasants are equal. That'll change.

GavinGT

Banned
When they realize that on the X1 the dynamic res hovers somewhere around 900p (or lower? not a console gamer myself) and the framerate around 30 while you're zooming through the same game at butter-smooth framerates and the full internal 1080p rendering resolution, your friends might not exactly still feel they 'don't have to upgrade'.

Sure, they'll feel that way if they don't know what constitutes properly good resolution, framerates and level of detail in 2017, but otherwise they'll be a bit salty, I wager.

Nah, I think most of them will say that it looks better, but not $500 better. And, again, there's been no promise of improved framerates to existing games on Scorpio. It might not even be feasible for lots of games without issuing massive patches.

A tiny few maybe. The bulk of gamers? Nah.

Darkwater

Nah, I think most of them will say that it looks better, but not $500 better.

As a predominantly PC gamer, I do not want to play at 30 fps because I know how comfortable 60 fps is. Whether they find the upgrade price to be worth the performance upgrade is a side note. Scorpio will make them see how bad they have it, is what I'm saying. And it can only get worse seeing as Scorpio will de-incentivize optimizing for X1 the more time goes on.

I'll be really curious to see where Kinect 2.0 ends up when Scorpio hits. I know Phil claims that our current Xbox One accessories will still work, but I really just took that to mean headsets/controllers.

As the Xbox One S is confirmed to not support the Kinect without an adapter, will they use the same setup for Scorpio? I'm not sure if I can see them doing a Kinect 3.0, or at least not one that's geared towards the Xbox specifically. I just like being able to shout commands at my Xbox!

Zedox

I'm in the same boat. Scorpio is a PREMIUM device targetted at people who want to spend more on their hobby. A 399,-€ Scorpio with 1080, 60fps and more bells and whisles for the Gaf crowd is very unlikely at this point and is not what I consider "premium".
For me, a Mac Book Pro and a Surface Pro are premium devices.

You'll get the same Xbox One games just with 4K native resolution, that's it.
Makes sense, because it makes development easier for both machines.
Some devs may choose to lower res for 60fps, but this never going to be Scorpio's usp.
So yes, he was right and wrong with his initial statement. Some games won't do much for you if you don't own a 4K TV, some games may be a huge improvement even on HD TVs.
Only devs will answer this question in the future.

I look at it like this, you get what you pay for. You want high end graphics/performance, get a Scorpio, you want the same as you have had, get a XBOS.

Xbox One (S) - Medium Graphics Card, competitive price
Xbox One Scorpio - High End Graphics Card, VR Capable, premium price

It really is just that simple. (Not saying you don't understand, I know you do...just talking and hoping others who see it can get that understanding)

Burdmayn said:
I'll be really curious to see where Kinect 2.0 ends up when Scorpio hits. I know Phil claims that our current Xbox One accessories will still work, but I really just took that to mean headsets/controllers.

As the Xbox One S is confirmed to not support the Kinect without an adapter, will they use the same setup for Scorpio? I'm not sure if I can see them doing a Kinect 3.0, or at least not one that's geared towards the Xbox specifically. I just like being able to shout commands at my Xbox!

Kinect is an accessory of the Xbox One "family", it will be supported just as the Xbox One S would be is a good assumption to make. I'm personally buying a Kinect because I too like to shout commands without a headset (especially when watching Netflix) and it is worth the money to me. I hate having a remote.

ViciousDS

Banned
Games will look different on 1080p screen, full benefit and image fidelity can only be reaped with a 4KTV for 4K games but it's still a viable purchase for 1080p owners

Wouldn't a game in 4k with a horrendous AA solution look much better on a 1080p display if the image is downsampled from 4k? (if they can hit 4k with the initial output)

I mean we have seem some amazing and some really bad AA this gen.....I was thinking maybe keeping my 1080p IPS panel till the consoles after where 4k may become standard and just downsample if anything comes along since it would be a much cleaner image if they can't get a good AA solution in place.

Atomski

I have no intention of buying a xbox but man Spencer seems like an alright guy from this interview. the whole hey play where your friends are be it console or PC is nice to hear.

Its to bad he wasn't in charge from the beginning of this gen.

Darkwater

A tiny few maybe. The bulk of gamers? Nah.

Do you think the bulk of gamers would still say 'nah' if they saw this? Because that's what the two experiences will look like side-by-side, when you're talking about a 4.5x performance increase. 60 fps is obectively better, and a whole lot better at that.

Jeffrey

Wonder if there will be more games that will do stuff like nioh, giving players the option of 1080p at a higher framerate or 4k at a lower one.

still not that much reasons to upgrade the old tv that still works fine.

GavinGT

Banned

You'll be able to do that with the headset soon. Or, if you don't like wearing a headset, get this silly thing that has a mic and speaker built in:

ruq1sn3salo5oduuwxyo.jpg

ramparter

Banned
Im glad its been cleared up though this is what I understood in the first place, I I dont see why everyone was so confused.

SOR5

I have no intention of buying a xbox but man Spencer seems like an alright guy from this interview. the whole hey play where your friends are be it console or PC is nice to hear.

Its to bad he wasn't in charge from the beginning of this gen.

Choice is great, as long as it's made clear what the consumer needs, and I hope MS can do that

Top Bottom