• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb Phil Spencer Interview: Clarifications Regarding Scorpio and Xbox One S

Phil talked about inflection points. If 8k is the next "inflection" then we are going to be waiting a loooong time. Like 2025.

He also mentioned a 120hz or 144hz possible inflection point as well. I think this is smart. Looking for what the next big thing is and innovating at the appropriate time actually seems quite sensible compared to a fixed console release period.

When I look at something like the Neo (rumored specs), I wonder what purpose the console exactly serves other than just running games better. VR already works with PS4 and the console still feels quite powerful. Sure, Neo will support higher than 1080p resolutions, HDR and 4K video support, so techies will be interested, but at least with Scorpio the bullets points are 4K and VR (with 6TF as the necessary hardware target) and those points are being repeated over and over and over again. Some people will complain about the messaging, but I think those bullet points have been clear and justify the console's existence. I'm curious to see how Sony justifies the Neo when it's officially revealed.

Myggen

2596154-patrick_thumbsup.gif

papo

I don' get why people are scrutinizing, and crapping on, MS for basically a non announcement since we don't have the real concrete details just their targets.

Please don't act surprised if and when the Scorpio, NEO, comes out late 2017 or maybe 2018 it is seen/treated as a new gen with new games. I feel like people will overreact and act surprised and betrayed about something that looks clear.

GlamFM

Banned
Finished the interview, have to say it again:

Phil is one of the nicest, coolest most genuine people in this industry.

Now MS just needs to keep their mouths shut about it until E3 '17.

They can't! It has become the number one talking point whether they want that to be the focus or not. Look at all the Phil Interviews, look how much he is talking about Scorpio, versus talking about games and services.

Scorpio has dominated the conversation with MS, whether they wanted it to or not. And its pretty exciting to have this big powerful console coming out, but its still so far away I am not sure MS really wanted to have it dominate the conversation this much, at this time.

dyergram

Messaging is all over the place. No exclusives unless devs want to do exclusives. Games must be 4K but they don't have to be. This should have been project spaghetti wall not Scorpio.

Scorpio still a badass name though.

SOR5

Messaging is all over the place. No exclusives unless devs want to do exclusives. Games must be 4K but they don't have to be. This should have been project spaghetti wall not Scorpio.

What you see in the OP is their official stance, there are no exclusives, no game absolutely has to render in native 4K. This is the objective plans they have as of now at least

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
fantastic job by giantbomb and i really get where MS is going now.

the whole interview is a wash this shit will simply not last and it will all change. It's so pointless to even read half that stufff as it's straight up not going to happen. This thing comes out 5 years after the one and how long will it take for xone ports not to be not only viable but for all these things to be wrong and not even matter anyways?

Not hating on you op but half hat stuff is so easily not true that it starts to becoming annoying to even read it.

People will read that believe it and say it makes sense yadda, then a few years down the line it isn't even true an where did it ever make sense for them? I cant understand why people always do these things maybe, but this is how people do in real life sitations to, want this, dont want this anymore.. false words. Always happening.

Xbox is like a romance novel, Ill never hurt you or cheat you... you know until I do

papo

I don't get why a lot of you guys are saying and scrutinizing unofficial announcements as law.

MS only showed what they are aiming for and even that will change before the console is released in late 2017 or 2018.

He is basically saying anything is possible. Maybe they should have gone out and said that, but the scrutiny would have been worse because of it.

They don not have anything real to show so it is expect they are throwing out everything they think they can fit and want from that new box.

MilkyJoe

No Scorpio exclusive is the biggest let down. 6tf gone wasted.

#leaveXboxOneBehind

Did you know that Forza Horizon 2 came out on both Xbone and X360 and, check this, the Xbone version looked way better.

Same with Battlefron on Xbone and Battlefront on PC Ultra - Which is what you can expect with Xbone - Scorpio

Man It would be great if it's called Scorpio

the whole interview is a wash this shit will simply not last and it will all change. It's so pointless to even read half that stufff as it's straight up not going to happen. This thing comes out 5 years after the one and how long will it take for xone ports not to be not only viable but for all these things to be wrong and not even matter anyways?

Not hating on you op but half hat stuff is so easily not true that it starts to becoming annoying to even read it.

People will read that believe it and say it makes sense yadda, then a few years down the line it isn't even true an where did it ever make sense for them? I cant understand why people always do these things maybe, but this is how people do in real life sitations to, want this, dont want this anymore.. false words. Always happening.

Xbox is like a romance novel, Ill never hurt you or cheat you... you know until I do
No.

Matthew23

Going off Phil's statements about the Scorpio not being designed for the 1080p gamer I'm led to believe most of the devs MS is talking with plan on making 4k games on Scorpio. It makes sense as it will appeal to the mass market who will be replacing their 1080p tvs over the next few years. "4k gaming" should sell units/games.

If I'm not mistaken most of the hardcore gaming crowd would rather see 1080p @ 60 with better visuals. The benefit of 4k over 1080p on an average sized screen at 8 to 10 feet away doesn't seem to be as beneficial. I wish multiple graphic settings were possible like we have on PC, but that seems like a pipe dream.

edit- the 6 tflops should be great for VR anyways.

MCD

MS pushed HDTVs with 360. Now they are pushing for 4K.

TV manufacturers are dancing right now.

Brewmont

Banned
voluntary confusion and salt in this thread.

Yeah I don't see people are "confused" about. Use your heads. They want this to be a family of systems in which games will work forward and backward. Then as time goes on, and as more people switch to Scorpio, the Xbox One versions of games will get phased out, and there will be something beyond Scorpio as an option for people.

Nobody is trying to trick anyone, and people upset at this notion make me wonder if they think they'll never have to upgrade and can play Xbox One games forever. Sure it isn't a defined "okay we're all switching now" as is done in traditional generations, it'll just be more like cell phones only in the sense that some software gradually forces people to upgrade.

otakukidd

I would think going after 4k would be a mistake. Upscaling sure but not native. With the power it has, it would only be able to produce graphics at xbox one level at 4k. What would be better 4k at low to medium settings or 1080p at ultra. Even by 2019 majority of TVs will be 1080p still.

voluntary confusion and salt in this thread.

I agree, at least after watching this interview has to be voluntary or just trolling. Great interview by GB.

I like how humble he is about their PC fuck-ups haha.

Yah, but good to see that he is not brushing it off as saying "it's all going great" clearly how he spoke it's not and seem to really realize that.

I would think going after 4k would be a mistake. Upscaling sure but not native. With the power it has, it would only be able to produce graphics at xbox one level at 4k. What would be better 4k at low to medium settings or 1080p at ultra. Even by 2019 majority of TVs will be 1080p still.

It's fine actually as the console will be just fine on 1080p TV's. Devs can target the resolution they want and the system will downsample. The console will just be able to push out 4K native (if I have this correct). He mentioned it in the interview, devs don't have to target the 4K frame buffer if they don't want to and they are not forcing this on developers.

chris121580

Such a great interview. Phil is so good for the gaming industry. His point of view on things is just refreshing to hear. He's the right guy for the job and am excited for the future he's creating

rokkerkory

What does this even mean?

dyergram

Another thing I would like to point out I'm seeing a lot of people suggesting that it would be wiser to spend money upgrading a pic for ms games rather than buying the surely $500+ Scorpio but have any PCs/xbo games been decent ports? The only one I can think of was quantum break and that was a bad port from what I read. Not to pile on ms but if you have to clarify this much a couple days after you announce something maybe your messaging was bad. It really reminds me of the xbones announcement mess.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
man i don't understand why no one asks these important questions will will scorpio games be allowed to be 60fps while xbone is at 30fps, and will developers be able to add a few simple option like 4k or 1080/60fps.

but they have, phil did in the interview. developers, like they always have, will be able to use the systems power as they see fit. its absurd to think that an interviewer needs to ask every tech case scenario. it is unclear how devs will chose to do so though, but its a year and a half away and we'll just have to wait. i think its safe to expect a little bit of xbone upresing games (the cost saving move) and actually developing for 2 different target gfx specs at 1080p (or thereabouts on xbone) ala pc gaming forever.

dyergram

What you see in the OP is their official stance, there are no exclusives, no game absolutely has to render in native 4K. This is the objective plans they have as of now at least
Can't find it right now but I'm sure that phill already said its up to devs if they wanted to make exclusives I mean it's been two days and they can't seem to make their mind up.

otakukidd

The level of detail on consoles is usually at low or medium on pc games. The specs we know from the Scorpio won't be able to do graphics greater than low or medium at 4k. but they would be able to have a much greater level of detail at 1080p close to what ultra would be on games.

I really hope financially this time next year I am able to be back on my own again with my own place.

Definintely want to purchase a nice 65" 4k HDR tv for Scorpio next fall.

SOR5

Can't find it right now but I'm sure that phill already said its up to devs if they wanted to make exclusives I mean it's been two days and they can't seem to make their mind up.

That was a blip by Shannon Loftis who got a question muddled up, who then corrected herself

All other figures have asserted that there will be no Scorpio exclusives

Jrs3000

Another thing I would like to point out I'm seeing a lot of people suggesting that it would be wiser to spend money upgrading a pic for ms games rather than buying the surely $500+ Scorpio but have any PCs/xbo games been decent ports? The only one I can think of was quantum break and that was a bad port from what I read. Not to pile on ms but if you have to clarify this much a couple days after you announce something maybe your messaging was bad. It really reminds me of the xbones announcement mess.

Gears had issues that have been patched. Quantum break wasn't that bad but they fixed and further improved it. Forza apex was great on release along with killer instinct. They are capable of putting out good ports.

rokkerkory

The level of detail on consoles is usually at low or medium on pc games. The specs we know from the Scorpio won't be able to do graphics greater than low or medium at 4k. but they would be able to have a much greater level of detail at 1080p close to what ultra would be on games.

Of course any down-res will have better IQ. Why don't we just do 720p120 on scorpio then?

But I am going to listen to developers on this one, no disrespect. If developers had a hand/input into designing scorpio and true 4k gfx was the target then gonna have to go with that.

Leyasu

Banned
Did you know that Forza Horizon 2 came out on both Xbone and X360 and, check this, the Xbone version looked way better.

Same with Battlefron on Xbone and Battlefront on PC Ultra - Which is what you can expect with Xbone - Scorpio

Man It would be great if it's called Scorpio

This is what the hopefully do going forward.

I'm drooling at the thought of what 343 are going to do on scorpio

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/4od9u8/1080p_project_scorpio_games_will_look_different/

That last point is the key point: "some developers will take advantage of that 6 teraflops in different ways". Microsoft won't force developers to use the extra Scorpio processing power to hit 4K; they're free to use it how they want. That's great. But whereas Microsoft sees Scorpio as the 4K machine, a developer may simply see it as 'more power' for a native 1080p experience, and that's where this idea of Xbox One and Scorpio playing the same games becomes murky. How can they be the same games - or are they the same in the way that Xbox 360 and Xbox One cross-generation games were?

That last thing is exactly what i am wondering too. Will a Red Dead 3 (for example) be like a Rise of the TR situation where it is very playable and good looking enough for 360, but a very significant upgrade on Xbox One?

This is what the hopefully do going forward.

I'm drooling at the thought of what 343 are going to do on scorpio

Unless MS forces 4K on their own games and then it won't be all that different from Halo 5...in terms of graphical fidelity. As much of a beast this thing will likely be, it's not a magical box that can do anything. Highly doubt they can bring sick graphical fidelity AND native 4K.

Paz

He's doing some napkin math that is likely to be close to true, though there are additional factors to consider, here I'll break it down.

1080p consists of 2073600 pixels, while 4K consists of 8294400 pixels: A ~4x increase in computational power requirements.

XBox One has 1.31 teraflops of performance while Scorpio will have ~6 teraflops: A ~ 4.5 or 4.6x increase in computational power.

Thus, theoretically, Scorpio is capable of rendering 1080p XBox One games exactly as they are but in 4k, plus a tiny bit on top.

Though actually most of the best looking XBox One games run closer to 720P like Halo 5 in fights, which would be an 9x increase in computational power requirements. Theoretically Scorpio would be incapable of running Halo 5 exactly as it is but in 4K, assuming napkin math is correct, which it never truly is.

Edit - To be clear I don't think things will scale quite as linearly as I've written here (Though that's possible), I was just trying to explain the concept being discussed.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Phil talked about inflection points. If 8k is the next "inflection" then we are going to be waiting a loooong time. Like 2025.

Inflection points can be more than just resolutions. Significant technology breakthroughs could be considered inflection points for instance.

While MS might consider 4K important enough to bring out a new machine, that will still be at the expense of detail levels staying at Xbox one levels - 4x flops for 4x pixels. I very much hope we get another update 3-4 years after Scorpio to stay at 4K but provide more detail per pixel and more CPU for more complex worlds

Honestly he isn't likely to say they'll do a new machine every three years - they always want you to buy their next machine and not be looking around the corner too much.

dyergram

Gears had issues that have been patched. Quantum break wasn't that bad but they fixed and further improved it. Forza apex was great on release along with killer instinct. They are capable of putting out good ports.
Good to hear. Weird that even in our hardcore bubble some of us (myself included) can run with information that is off base or just plain wrong. I mean I read that qb was a shitty port so as somebody with a pc and no Xb just wrote it off, since then I guess they fixed it up but that bit gets no traction in the news so unless your following the updates you don't hear about it. Exactly the same situation that happened with the used games. I guarantee that my non hardcore gamer friends will be telling me that there's no point in getting a xbs because there's a new one coming out or there's no point getting a Scorpio if you haven't got 4K.

Matthew23

Of course any down-res will have better IQ. Why don't we just do 720p120 on scorpio then

The thing about 4k is that it takes massive hardware to get 30/60 FPS with current titles. Do the benefits of 4k outweigh what would be much improved IQ and 60 FPS at 1080p? Consider that a lot of people won't even have 4k sets and won't even see those benefits.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Also I'm surprised they magically came up with 6TF. 4x the Xbox one power won't easily get you 4K when plenty of Xbox one games are already choosing sub-1080p. You'd more likely want 4x PS4 performance to safely get 4K/30, so around 7-7.5TF

The thing about 4k is that it takes massive hardware to get 30/60 FPS with current titles. Do the benefits of 4k outweigh what would be much improved IQ and 60 FPS at 1080p? Consider that a lot of people won't even have 4k sets and won't even see those benefits.

The Scorpio isn't for them. Phil has been pretty clear that this is a 4K console and I love it. I can't wait for 4K console gaming.

Also I'm surprised they magically came up with 6TF. 4x the Xbox one power won't easily get you 4K when plenty of Xbox one games are already choosing sub-1080p. You'd more likely want 4x PS4 performance to safely get 4K/30, so around 7-7.5TF

6TF is what the developers they talked to said. Also, XB1 has more issues than just GPU power. The ESRAM solution is a big reason 1080p is not as common on it.

I almost want to bet all First party published games moving forward will have a Dynamic engine of some sort. similiar to either Apex, Quantum break or Halo 5.

Because what comes after Scorpio will need to show that the current games, at that time, look better on the Gemini. ;) (dual gpu)

Upgraded consoles not adapting a smartphone style approach, maybe every 4-5 years and based on whats deemed as a new inflection point of technology (for instance, 4K and VR)
As somebody not looking for a PC-like hardware arms race (an expensive moving target), nor an enforced rapid obsolescence like you see in mobile hardware, this sounds good to me.

w0s

Seems pretty clear as he has stated over and over that they went to devs and that is what they said to target.

The specs they've stated were targets given to them by devs.

Top Bottom