• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb Thread The Third: #TeamBrad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Also something that should be in the OP:

Whiskey Media Video Buddy for iPad/iPhone.

Also available for Android

It's my preferred method of watching all of GB's content. I have watched the entire DP endurance run on iPad, I can watch GB when i'm cooking, or when i'm lying on the couch or in the garden. It's fucking rad.

mzl.ghnexkmf.480x480-75.jpg
mzl.yhfwxqly.480x480-75.jpg

Dany

Banned
I like how little time was spent on the BLLSL on actually selling content they will be providing . Sure teambrad is all fun and games but I would have liked them to get down to the nitty gritty on premium features.

I kinda like they just went all balls out with awesome stuff for the show.

Like most here, I expect the next few weeks to be the real promise when it comes to premium stuff. I'm hoping for a lot of new stuff this week.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I also just found out that the guy who made the Whiskey Media Video Buddy, also made a Giant Bomb specific Video Buddy.

Get it here for iOS.

It's basically the same thing, only accompanied with a GB colorscheme and an updated interface. It's also updated more recently.

Don't forget that premium members can link their accounts so you have access to downloading of content straight to your iPad/iPhone. It's perfect for when you have a boring trip coming up and you want to watch some quicklooks/TNT on the bus.

mza_2905731935334841041.480x480-75.jpg

mza_4909278587655016736.480x480-75.jpg

Does anyone know why videos don't play on their site? Using Chrome Version 22.0.1229.56 beta-m and it just shows a black box after pressing the play button. Same thing with a fresh install of Firefox.

I also just found out that the guy who made the Whiskey Media Video Buddy, also made a Giant Bomb specific Video Buddy.

Get it here for iOS.

It's basically the same thing, only accompanied with a GB colorscheme and an updated interface. It's also updated more recently.

Don't forget that premium members can link their accounts so you have access to downloading of content straight to your iPad/iPhone. It's perfect for when you have a boring trip coming up and you want to watch some quicklooks/TNT on the bus.

mza_2905731935334841041.480x480-75.jpg

mza_4909278587655016736.480x480-75.jpg

I haven't tried this version yet, but one thing I wish would get added/updated to that app is the ability to just set what stream I want (instead of making me pick mobile/low/high/HD every time I play a video), and maybe some sort of autoplay option, so if I play 1 quicklook, it automatically plays the next one.

Get it here for iOS.

I'll link to this one in the OP since the Whiskey Media one is kind of out of date now.

Sweet. I made that logo in the OP.

I was meaning to track down the source of that image, I shall credit you accordingly. :)

I haven't tried this version yet, but one thing I wish would get added/updated to that app is the ability to just set what stream I want (instead of making me pick mobile/low/high/HD every time I play a video), and maybe some sort of autoplay option, so if I play 1 quicklook, it automatically plays the next one.

probably purposely done for people on mobile connections.

BackwardsSuggestions said:
Does anyone know why videos don't play on their site? Using Chrome Version 22.0.1229.56 beta-m and it just shows a black box after pressing the play button. Same thing with a fresh install of Firefox.

Have you tried right clicking on the video itself, hitting "Settings" and disabling Hardware Acceleration? Then reload the page.

With the second GB thread title inspired by Brad I think it should be his obligation to not be pissed for whatever reason when he posts here.

Hoo-doo

Banned
With the second GB thread title inspired by Brad I think it should be his obligation to not be pissed for whatever reason when he posts here.

Or he now has this immense pressure to perform on any quicklook he's on.

He doesn't want to slide back into the "old Brad routine", obviously!

Megasoum

Banned
I'm listening to the new 2010 recap podcast and I'm at the part where Jeff realize what they meant with Phoenix Down in the FF games.... Jeff's reaction is so amazing hahahaha.

And for the record, I learned about the true meaning of the name at the same time that Jeff did... But then again, I had now idea that the word "down" was used for something else than the usual meaning.

probably purposely done for people on mobile connections.

I could see why autoplay next video would be done for mobile connections (but something like AirVideo allows a toggle option for something like this so people who want it can use it and people who don't cannot use it), but it just seems odd that I watched a video and it asks immediately if I've changed my mind and want to switch resolutions. It'd be like having a PC game ask you at the start of every level if you want to keep playing in 720p, or maybe switch it up and go to 480p or 1080p instead.

Since we got a new thread going and we're on a high from BLLSL, I've wanted to ask if you are all happy with Patrick's contributions to GB with respect to the news coverage. Here's a bit of news he just posted:

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/looks-like-microsofts-bringing-back-killer-instinct/4370/

Microsoft is teasing the return of Killer Instinct in some form.

On the Play XBLA website, the company mentions that Microsoft has “either renewed or refilled a trademark application [for Killer Instinct] in various jurisdictions.”

It’s a teaser for a game, but what kind of game? Breaking the news on an Xbox Live Arcade-centric website suggests it’s a port or revamp of an existing Killer Instinct game, but we don’t know. And unless Microsoft has access to the original character models and backgrounds or decided to re-do everything, it’s really hard to imagine how the Killer Instinct games aren’t going to look odd today.

If Jet Set Radio’s recent re-release has taught us anything, maybe some of our old “favorites” are better left in the past. Will Killer Instinct join that pile?

(In the interest of full disclosure, I totally owned a copy of the Killer Cuts CD. And liked it.)

Some of my issues with a news story like this is that it is basically a rumor speculating to the intent of a trademark (see Apple's numerous trademarks or "Guitar Villain" on how things don't always pan out), but not labeled as such (and on Twitter, Patrick seems to get upset at some other sites that just post rumors). Moreover, the site that did the actual reporting (which is just doing a few searches on trademark sites), is somewhat hidden behind a text word link. I say hidden because GB likes to have all of their text link back to pages on the site, so "Microsoft", "Killer Instinct", "Xbox Live Arcade", and "Jet Set Radio" are all textual links. I know a lot of sites do this, but I still don't feel comfortable with this manner of sourcing, especially when the "news story" is just a rewording of someone else's news story and work.

Just for reference, here's the length of what the original website wrote on the site where Patrick got the story from:

http://playxbla.com/killer-instinct-trademark-renewed/

With all due respect to our friends in the media who like to frequent trademark sites, we thought we’d break this one ourselves. :)
Our legal eagles have authorized us to say: “We have either renewed or refiled a trademark application in various jurisdictions.”
That’s it! Have a good Monday!

I guess the struggle is to write a story on a very brief piece of information.

Then, Patrick does stories like the McPixel piracy stuff:
http://www.giantbomb.com/news/mcpixel-embraced-piracy-lived-to-tell-the-tale/4366/

This is an interesting article with some original reporting in the form of an interview with an independent developer. I suppose if I have any issues with a piece like this, it is (other than the in-text sourcing as stated earlier) that Patrick mentions only briefly another developer's viewpoint on piracy, Frictional Games. Patrick writes:

“It has been over a year since we even thought about piracy,” said the studio. “With sales as good as above we cannot really see this as an issue worth more than two lines in this post, so screw it.”

However, this doesn't go into the issues that Frictional Games experienced with piracy initially. They wrote on their website:

http://frictionalgames.blogspot.com/2010/09/one-week-after-release-of-amnesia.html

I think the most alarming thing was that the game was available as a pirated copy 24 hours or so before release. This kind of 0-day release can be quite hurtful, as otherwise paying customers might be so anxious to play that they pirate and then forget to pay for it. Since we released the game online only, we were not expecting this and the source of the illegal copy was one of our review copies (with tracking info hacked away). We are not sure what to do about this in the future, but we will have to be more careful and perhaps not send out review copies to so many outlets. It could have gone a lot worse though as a the first review copies (of early builds) were sent out almost a month before release.

The response we got from the game is a lot better than we expected, yet the sales are only "good" according to our, much more modest, expected response. This makes us wonder what sales we would have gotten if the response would have been more like what we thought it would be. If this is our time in the spotlight, then a lot less noticed game would probably put us out of business.

I guess it just would have been nice if Patrick reached out to Frictional Games to get some of their current thoughts on piracy rather than use a small quote.

There's a lot of other stories I'm leaving out, such as his interview with Papo & Yo, and a bunch of press release-style articles like the release of the iPhone 5, Steam Greenlight and Big Picture mode, and more. There's also his Friday feature where he links out to a bunch of interesting reads/stories/interviews/investigatorial work on other sites.

So, are you happy with Patrick's work thus far? Do you like that he does a lot of interviews and focuses almost solely on independent developers? Do you like some of the articles where they are basically editorials or blog posts? Do you like his handling of the press release-style news blurb articles that Alex used to do? Or, are you unhappy with those contributions and wished he did more investigatorial work like Alexander for Gamasutra/Edge or the Boston Globe (since they wrote the definitive account of the closing of 38 Studios)?

Personally, I've been wanting more interview/editorial work from Giantbomb since like early 2010. The one thing I liked about Bitmob's podcast was that it was short discussions on things in video games not connected to "what have you been playing".

(I'm not asking about Bombcast/videos, solely news stuff).

Megasoum

Banned
@brianmcdoogle
playxbla is a Microsoft site, so Microsoft announced it by themselves.
See the thread on GAF.

Exactly what I was about to say... Where is there a rumor in there other than it's probably a port (which is everybody is assuming right now)... Microsoft announced themselves that they have renewed the trademark. No rumors there.

Gomu Gomu

I'm listening to the new 2010 recap podcast and I'm at the part where Jeff realize what they meant with Phoenix Down in the FF games.... Jeff's reaction is so amazing hahahaha.

And for the record, I learned about the true meaning of the name at the same time that Jeff did... But then again, I had now idea that the word "down" was used for something else than the usual meaning.
I had the exact same experience
KuGsj.gif
. That was a truly great moment.

I just got to the E3 part of the Best of 2010 podcast... god damn it

Aww, I look forward to that as well!

I'm on the FFXIII part right now, and it's something I've wanted to do (or, more honestly, wanted someone else to do), but do a clip show on just specific games. Like, "this is every part of the bombcast where they talked about Mass Effect 2, both in preview and review form" or something. One day, if I have the time, I might do that.

I was going to post this exact thing yesterday, hahahahaha

I don't think about Final Fantasy very much at all, so his realization of it in the recap was like the second time I had the realization. It blew me away. Again.

FStop7

Banned
Patrick should try to find out what's up with Nintendo and Amazon, there seems to be some kind of ongoing dispute between the two.

Disappointed in thread title. #TeamBrad is a flash in the pan that will be old by next week.

Ryan Davis will get fucked forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom