• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb Vive stream | What a Time to Be a Vive!

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I'm nearing the end but still have about an hour left. Unfortunately, I won't be able to finish the stream until later in the week. I saw a few posts throughout the thread saying that the highs with the Vive are a lot higher. I agree wholeheartedly with that. There's some amazing software there. There's not enough to really warrant a purchase. I've definitely cooled on my desire to own one. I'm still going to get a new GPU this year but I will be waiting on the Vive for the time being.

Giant Bomb has done such a great job with these launches. They've got the best coverage if you have the time. I look forward to their covering of PSVR.

Tainted

Can you stand up and move your arms about, and crouch down? That should be enough space for most people. I think it could be difficult for some, and may require some adjustment in furniture, but 'insane' seems like an exaggeration.

ignoring unseen diplomacy - probably the only game that really requires a largish area. Oh and waterbears but that has *no* logical reason for needing 3x4m../

The minimum space required for the Vive is 2m x 1.5m....which is fairly sizeable. The crew pretty much nailed it with their comments regarding a) finding this amount of space and b) Being in a position to relocate a PC powerful enough to run the Vive to this space. It is a fairly hefty requirement

You can do what you suggested but alot of games require you to walk around the environment...but it varies title to title. Some of the games just straight up warned you about not having enough space.

Listening to Jeff's Mixlr on his way home last night, he seemed a lot more upbeat about VR than he did on the stream. I bet part of that is just the grueling nature of going through all the games without, say, having lunch, but it still surprised me a little. What really seemed to get him is that he's finally feeling like the virtual world is almost second nature--he talked about crawling around in Budget Cuts and then trying to get up by leaning on a wall that didn't actually exist, which blew his mind. He also seemed more favourable towards Eve Valkyrie than I remembered from the Oculus stream. Basically saying the same things as before (it's a great showcase for VR but not a very good game), but putting more emphasis on the presence aspect and how on some level it doesn't really matter that it's too simple of a game because it nails the experience of being in a cockpit and watching giant ships fly by.

From all of this, it really does sound like the takeaway is that you shouldn't spend money on the headsets unless you have money to burn, but that if you get the chance to try one out, you should do whatever it takes. Jeff seemed confident that eventually, there will be things to do with the headsets that justify the cost, or (more likely) the cost of the headsets will come down enough that you'd almost be stupid not to own one.

Nzyme32

Oh, so Justin Roiland is not only in Hover Junkers, but also in The Lab? Awesome!

He's also making a Vive game with some of the guys that worked on Stanley Parable. Unfortunately, a few days ago one of them, William Pugh, was hit by a car. Thankfully he should make a recovery but he has a year of stuff to do before he can get walking again, so I imagine game development will be less of a priority.

Giant Bomb's play of Windlands was pathetic. They got the grappling hooks, then immmediately got stuck on the first tree and quit the game.

To give an equivalent, that's like quitting mario 64 immediately after entering the castle.

I felt the same way. That was one of the few games in the entire stream that looked like something I would want to play as well. Guess it can be explained by saying that they already covered it in the rift stream though, and they did play it for a little more there.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I didn't know I wanted a Portal 3 with Justin Roiland voicing every robot and AI core you encounter, but now I do.

Window

Vive does seem a lot cooler than Oculus in terms of interactive possibilities (for now) but I am disappointed by the lack of an analogue stick which could accommodate actual movement for some game types like Lucky's Tale. Teleporting around is very limiting.

Vive looks much better than Oculus Rift but even so, I really don't mind skipping on this and probably the next generation. There's plenty 'wow' moments to be had already but I'm not sure if there's enough excellent and lasting games yet. So diving in when both hardware and software are more refined is likely to be even better if I just wait.

derFeef

Vive does seem a lot cooler than Oculus in terms of interactive possibilities (for now) but I am disappointed by the lack of an analogue stick which could accommodate actual movement for some game types like Lucky's Tale. Teleporting around is very limiting.

You can use the trackpad like an analogue stick I guess.

You can use the trackpad like an analogue stick I guess.

I mean, or you can use literally any gamepad or input method that you please.

The archives are up on the site in parts for those that are interested.

2840020-vivelaunch01.jpg

The future's here again so we crack it open to see what's inside... the Vive. It's alive.

Part 1

----

Things get a little too real when a gun is placed in Brad's hands.

Part 2

----

Unfettered from the real world, Drew unleashes his inner desire to just walk around and smash a bunch of bottles.

Part 3

----

Things are working as they should as Jeff demonstrates what it's like to get shot at while in a hovercraft.

Part 4

----

Pay no attention to the man behind the VR helmet.

Part 5

Gattsu25

Banned
Each of the things in "The Lab" from valve were fucking mind blowingly awesome.

This has been really impressive so far

Edit: Okay, Audioshield looks like a legit great experience for hundreds of hours.

Audiosurf is my go to way of experiencing new albums...so this seems like a great, and massively divergent, evolution on that

Window

Think of these VR headsets the same way you'd think of another display device like a monitor, what you do in them is completely up to developers.
I guess the fact that they utilize different in house developed input methods (and is what has been on show so far for Vive, haven't seen the entire stream though) is what confused me.

So did they end up playing budget cuts?

Because that game has made me want a vive more then anything else so far.
Its also the first in my eyes "real game".

Top Bottom