• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombs Dota 2 Beta TNT Livestream [4PM PDT, Midnight GMT]

Also interesting to see no stacking/pulling the jungle for lane control (on either side), but I didn't really start doing that myself until I was 50+ hours (maybe more) in. It is a more advanced/coordinated tactic though.

Dec

How many heros are there? It seems like you need to be familiar with each to really engage them well.

Like someone else said, around 100. Knowing the abilities your enemies have is extremely useful. For example, something like a BKB blocks most magical abilities, so it's good to get against a stun-heavy team. But there are a handful of stuns that go through the immunity. Knowing when it's worth buying an item depends heavily sometimes on how well you know the heroes you're up against. A BKB isn't great damage, or health, so if you aren't blocking enough for the magic immunity to be worth it, there are better items you could buy.

Buying an expensive item like that, that isn't as helpful as you thought it was can stunt you for the entire game.

Is this game basically impossible to play well without voice chat?

No. There's a chat wheel for commonly used and important callouts (keybind and then drag your mouse to an edge). That's relatively new and pretty useful. Just regular typing and that will suffice, though voice chat certainly makes things easier and is necessary for higher levels of play. I rarely use my mic when just playing with randoms though unless they're already talking and fairly jovial as I don't particularly like using voice communication with strangers if I don't have to.

He is by far the least experienced of all of the five. Basically picked it up last week.

I thought everyone on the GB side was basically going to be around Brad's approximate skill level, so I was worried about experienced and well organized fans rolling over them. So in that first game I was annoyed with the opposing team's picks, thinking it was a Cyborgmatt organized group when it wasn't. The GB team was actually more experienced overall, or perhaps just better organized given their LAN setup.

They're all playing pretty well overall, and Brad is just playing extra conservatively because he's new and doesn't want to make any big mistakes by getting himself killed.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Brad has the same problem I had when I first started playing DOTA - has attachment to the lane he started in. He barely ever went anywhere else. I hope he sticks to the game and learns it.. 1000 hours later and I am finally getting decent.

I thought everyone on the GB side was basically going to be around Brad's approximate skill level, so I was worried about experienced and well organized fans rolling over them. So in that first game I was annoyed with the opposing team's picks, thinking it was a Cyborgmatt organized group when it wasn't. The GB team was actually more experienced overall, or perhaps just better organized given their LAN setup.

They're all playing pretty well overall, and Brad is just playing extra conservatively because he's new and doesn't want to make any big mistakes by getting himself killed.

some one needs to teach brad the yolo build for tidehunter, bottle first is the only way to go.

W1SSY

I want to try DOTA but I don't want the hassle of dealing with the community. So instead I will download it and never play it.

Dec

I want to try DOTA but I don't want the hassle of dealing with the community. So instead I will download it and never play it.

The Coop vs. bots community isn't nearly as bad. You never lose, so the only thing anyone has to rage about is kill steals.

Dahbomb

I may give that a try then. Does it have decent matchmaking so that if I played I would get matched up against players close to my skill or not?
Yea the MM is decent but matching up 10 players is never perfect and you might get extremes. Plus there is a rubber band element to it where you would get continuously match up with bad or good players in a row.

Dec

They have to be an expert on every single game they play. Clearly.

No one ever said anything like that. In the case of Dota, it's the second most popular game in one of the most played genres in the world and 95% of the staff lack even a basic understanding of it.

xanavi

The community really isn't even that bad. And you can report players that are abusive.

You can't really say "it isn't even that bad" because how bad it is depends on the individual. If you're a zen master then yeah, it's isn't that bad, I agree.

hamchan

Personally I am more worried about saddling other players with my inability to play well.

You will and people will shout at you. It's just a hump that everyone has to get over. Playing with friends or people you know alleviates this hump ALOT, since they won't be as salty about your bad play as playing with random people.

No one ever said anything like that. In the case of Dota, it's the second most popular game in one of the most played genres in the world and 95% of the staff lack even a basic understanding of it.

It's an incredibly insular culture that a handful of gaming press are attempting to get into (Brad included). There will never be expert dota players in the gaming press, just as there are not expert fighting game players. Why can't people just be happy with what they get. Considering how young the style of game is when compared to fighting games as a whole I think things are moving about as fast as they realistically could (in terms of having press get more involved in the game itself).

And considering giantbomb's usual treatment of games, especially on live shows like this, I thought even Jeff showed a genuine interest in at least learning more.

Personally I am more worried about saddling other players with my inability to play well.

Don't ever feel this way. In early levels you'll come up against a lot of smurf accounts which are more experienced players who've created second accounts to play with low levels players. These are the only people that should get mad at you in low level and they shouldn't even be there so don't threat about it. Just be open with your team about yourself being new and more often than not they'll help you out, suggesting heroes for you to play in that match and advising you on what skills to level/items you should buy.

Ultimately when you start out everybody should be pretty bad at the game, so don't worry about how you're doing. Also take into account that kill/death ratio doesn't mean much in the game due to the hero and the role you could end up taking. For example a Shadow Shaman could end up with a terrible kill/death/assist ratio but if your ult has been pushing down towers you might have been the one who won the match for your team.

xanavi

And considering giantbomb's usual treatment of games, especially on live shows like this, I thought even Jeff showed a genuine interest in at least learning more.

Yeah it's too bad the guy there explaining things to Jeff and Patrick didn't go into detail and weave the yarn of crazy Dota heroes. When asked about Invoker all he said was that he was a wizard with some spell combos; huge understatement!

mikeGFG

Banned

you will literally get matched up with other noobs. dont even worry about it.

maybe one guy in a group of ten players will be a fucking dick

but everyone else will basically be having fun and goofing off.

Dec

It's an incredibly insular culture that a handful of gaming press are attempting to get into (Brad included). There will never be expert dota players in the gaming press, just as there are not expert fighting game players. Why can't people just be happy with what they get. Considering how young the style of game is when compared to fighting games as a whole I think things are moving about as fast as they realistically could (in terms of having press get more involved in the game itself).

I'm not saying they have to be good at it, I just think it's crazy that before this week, no one even knew the most simple parts of the game. It isn't that new of a genre, there was just a total lack of interest and effort. I am glad someone is getting around to it now though.

dlc

Neo Member
thanks for watching. I was running the spectator mode and definitely missed some kills (especially second game early on).

I admit I didn't say as much as I could've, but Brad and team were sitting right next to me. It's a bit hard to call items, ganks, and rosh's when it'll tell the other team what's going on. Either way it was a fun experience (talking and clicking is hard!). I think Dota 2 will probably be around the GB team for a bit.

Fun time, thanks for tuning in!

la_briola

thanks for watching. I was running the spectator mode and definitely missed some kills (especially second game early on).

I admit I didn't say as much as I could've, but Brad and team were sitting right next to me. It's a bit hard to call items, ganks, and rosh's when it'll tell the other team what's going on. Either way it was a fun experience (talking and clicking is hard!). I think Dota 2 will probably be around the GB team for a bit.

Thank you for your time! The last game when you were alone and didn't have to answer questions went really good. I had fun watching.

Ken

Was fun. I enjoyed watching.

You did pretty well! You didn't bother going into the more complicated stuff because it just would have left Jeff and Patrick with more questions than answers and not in a good way, I get that.

Helmholtz

Really cool that the Giant Bomb crew is giving more attention to my favorite game. Couldn't watch the stream for too long though, because the lack of experience is a little jarring for me to watch (I've played way too much Dota 2). But for people who haven't been exposed to much Dota 2 I think what they're doing is great.

Fox318

Now everybody can say they enjoyed DLC.

Top Bottom