• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War details, in-depth RPG systems, No load screens, plus more

One thing I have a hard time comprehending, how are you going to have these huge spectacle, bombastic moments where Kratos is murdering the shit out of something, when your little son is there in the corner.

Just doesn't really seem to fit.

Eh, it's mythology and classical spectacle, or something. I don't think there's much Ludonarrative dissonance or some shit like that, especially given how you are defeating creatures.

Not

Banned
Man that looks sweet. Not sure about the live orchestra during that presentation though, kinda gratuitous.

Vire

I don't think there's been much of a moral issue with Kratos killing monsters. Half of the time he's saving people when he kills those monsters. The moral problem was things like killing civilians for health, needlessly killing people who are ever-so-slightly against him, and being motivated by rage and revenge.
I guess, I see your point and the demo definitely leaned more to monster like enemies, but usually the gods were more humanoid looking:

godofwarhelios.jpg

I just don't see anything like this happening again with the tone they are trying to set and the story they are trying to tell. And, maybe that's a bummer? I don't know, I'm just so excited to see how they handle this game now with this direction.

Vire

I'm expecting at least one to have some convenient moment where they're separated briefly. Like the son has been taken by some monsters or something and Kratos just tears down a mountain to find him.

Sounds about right, he can be extra violent when his son isn't there and then just normal levels of violence otherwise lol.

jayu26

One thing I have a hard time comprehending, how are you going to have these huge spectacle, bombastic moments where Kratos is murdering the shit out of something, when your little son is there in the corner.

Just doesn't really seem to fit.

There literally is a contextual button to bring the boy into the fight. Hints to tag team finishers.

Mathieran

Banned
This all sounds great to me. Wasn't really interested in this at all before, but after the reveal and with this info, it's definitely looking like something I might like.

Edit: Hopefully the kid stuff isn't overdone. Could be an annoyance if done wrong.

Two Words

I hope the crafting and RPG leveling is more for the kid. Kratos doesn't need any reason to gain experience from tracking or bow hunting.

Tyaren

the game is about passing knowledge onto your child. At the beginning of your journey, you teach a reluctant child how to fire a bow and hunt. As you progress through the game, that becomes second-nature to the boy, and it’s clear that your knowledge has been passed on.

Uh-oh, they are going to kill off Kratos for sure at the end of this game. O:

GOW is one of my top franchises but it needed this. It also is so much more powerful to use Kratos and not a new IP. I have always wanted more exposition with him as a character. Cory is the man for the job you guys need to stop being afraid of change.

Really can't believe we're getting this game and Sony had the balls to do it. Can't wait

Vire

I love that it is the same Spartan God of War Kratos living in the future Nordic world.

I honestly feel like maybe I would have preferred them just do the whole Zelda thing with another Kratos looking dude in another time, since intertime dimensonal warping and shit seems corny. At least David Jaffe's idea of it.

But I don't know the vision, so maybe it's super cool.

Fezan

I don't know how I feel. Wanted hack an slash game with awesome spectacle and giant creatures. And I generally dislike collecting items and rpg light elements. Hated them in tomb raider.
Also one button for kid would be like using magic but I needed solo journey of kratos with next gen gore and violence

jmaine_ph

It shocked me the more I looked around the industry a heard that many people didn't like Kratos as a character in the God of War series. As a kid growing up playing these games I thought he was awesome(still do).

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
The real question is, is there a lock on? With the switch to this shoulder camera I need a lock on.

Oneself

GOW is one of my top franchises but it needed this. It also is so much more powerful to use Kratos and not a new IP. I have always wanted more exposition with him as a character. Cory is the man for the job you guys need to stop being afraid of change.

Really can't believe we're getting this game and Sony had the balls to do it. Can't wait
Absolutely right, Amen to that.

I honestly feel like maybe I would have preferred them just do the whole Zelda thing with another Kratos looking dude in another time, since intertime dimensonal warping and shit seems corny. At least David Jaffe's idea of it.

It's going to be awesome have faith Vire

I like the idea of him trying but failing to escape his past, ala Joel or John Marston, instead of Kratos (or some Zelda-ish version of Kratos) going fuck it, I'm killing Odin.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
So it really is Dad of War. Didn't expect the son to be in the entire game.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I'm ok with everything except the RPG elements. Not every game needs an exp progression system.

I guess technically GoW had red orbs, but those were used to upgrade abilities/weapons like currency. I don't want to level up tracking and exploration.

Top Bottom