• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War details, in-depth RPG systems, No load screens, plus more

velociraptor

crafting? the hell

i do not want to play a game where i have to micromanage shit.

I'm worried with the direction they are taking for this game.

AudioEppa

This will be my first GOW game because of all the changes, i'm sure my non purchases in the past did not matter, and for anyone who is turned off by the new changes who choose not to buy it won't be missed either. This is what it is now, I didn't like anything about MGSV, so I never played it. That's our freedom of choice, no developer has to make the games we want, just like we are not obligated to buy whatever they make.

Not sure if I'm making any sense, but anyway this game is day 1.

It all sounds great to me. Just dont wimp out on the brutal violence or I will be pissed. I want some fucking brutal finishing moves. That kid better be helping me rip off some libs and beating things to death with them.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
"Kratos, dear. I need you to babysit tonight while I go and do some shopping."

tumblr_o8qry44M2B1u10jf6o1_500.gif

That will make any man grow a beard and settle down. Even a demigod.

So this gif confirms that this is not a reboot. He still has the same scar in his abdomen that Zeus gave him with the Blade of Olympus.

Vire

Hah, funny to hear the new actor for Kratos saying how one dimensional the previous iteration of the character was.

i like the new elements but then again i also only played the first GOW and not a particular big fan of the series (tons of fun and I'd probably play and enjoy it if I got it for free haha just never cared enough actually buy it). this one seems more up my alley (though likely not what defines GOW to its core fans so I can understand the mild backlash from some).

Son Of D

I will say I am a bit more optimistic about this. Still going to wait for a more detailed look at the combat before I make my final judgement but I've turned around a little bit.

Ricky_R

The real question is, is there a lock on? With the switch to this shoulder camera I need a lock on.

I don't think so, but I imagine encounters will be design so you don't need it. There probably aren't going to be encounters with many enemies like the past games.

This is all speculation on my part of course.

Boke1879

So this gif confirms that this is not a reboot. He still has the same scar in his abdomen that Zeus gave him with the Blade of Olympus.

Didn't Kratos "die" at the end of the 3? He either went to a different world or this is what the world became after the death of the Greek Gods.

Vire

Cory just addressed what was being discussed in this thread actually:

"How much of his real self is Kratos going to show is kid and how much of his real self does he see in his kid... and how much is that crushing him to see that"

bidguy

Banned
so what happens when dudebro #4 goes to the store expecting old buttonmash gow and gets this ?

dont get how this isnt just a new ip. kratos doesnt fit in this like at all

Son Of D

Didn't Kratos "die" at the end of the 3? He either went to a different world or this is what the world became after the death of the Greek Gods.

I'm guessing he was saved by a Norse God (who was in Greece because why not?). Or maybe like Age of Mythology where he's in the underworld, but breaks out and is in the Nordic lands.

Did anybody find any Easter eggs in the gameplay demo. Barlog said there are some.

It looked like one of the toys the kid was playing with at the beginning (the one he kicks as he goes inside) might have been a giraffe, which would confirm their Last of Us inspiration.

N° 2048

There's a "son" button. Apparently it pans the camera and allows you to command "Charles" (rofl gamespot) to open doors, etc.

Also the entire controller scheme is different. So don't expect old GOW controls.
Was on the Sony live stream just now.

Cory just addressed what was being discussed in this thread actually:

"How much of his real self is Kratos going to show is kid and how much of his real self does he see in his kid... and that's crushing"

I mean like he pushes his kids hand into a deer and gets him to help him murder a troll. He can hardly be crushed when the kid rips a fingernail off a giant.

The only way the narrative of Kratos and Son is interesting is if the kid isn't a murder machine and Kratos fucking hates it. If at any point Kratos thinks "this kid is too angry" the series has lost the plot.

Collectable

Neo Member
Kinda wanted them to go for a new main character because of the whole different mythology thing, still i like the way this game is shaping up. Would also like to see some gameplay where Kratos does his usual tearing things to pieces bit just to see how that's evolved.

Eusis

I guess, I see your point and the demo definitely leaned more to monster like enemies, but usually the gods were more humanoid looking:

godofwarhelios.jpg

I just don't see anything like this happening again with the tone they are trying to set and the story they are trying to tell. And, maybe that's a bummer? I don't know, I'm just so excited to see how they handle this game now with this direction.
Kind of makes it all the more fascinating to be honest. This is one of the most brutal video game characters ever who is not only being a dad, but whose rage was BECAUSE of losing family and presumably wants to be hands on and avoid this repeating.

Luke_Wal

I tried God of War 3 after picking it up for a couple of bucks and got about 30 minutes into it... It didn't really do anything for me. Granted, this was last year before the remaster, so it wasn't quite a graphical showpiece for me anymore, but a lot of it had to do with the nature of Kratos's character not grabbing me at all. Seeing this game last night, though, had me all in. My interest is piqued, and that IGN article from today only heightened that. I'm very excited to see where this game goes and how it ends up, though I'm sure it will end up great. They're saying all the right things, and if they deliver, I think I'm in.

I mean like he pushes his kids hand into a deer and gets him to help him murder a troll. He can hardly be crushed when the kid rips a fingernail off a giant.

The only way the narrative of Kratos and Son is interesting is if the kid isn't a murder machine and Kratos fucking hates it. If at any point Kratos thinks "this kid is too angry" the series has gone off the rails.
Nah. Its one thing when you do something. Its another thing to watch your son do something.

Maybe like many fathers, Kratos might want better for his son then to walk in the same footsteps as him.

You can tell from the trailer Kratos still has a heart. He had the same protective type shit going on with Pandora.

I'm really excited about the changes. I'm still nervous about the combat though. It looked really slow and janky. I'm not feeling that, but everything else sounds great. I just hope we see more combat and how it'll work against multiple enemies.

kurahador

I don't feel too happy about these changes. This is not God of War to me. I'll still try it out, but damn, these changes...

Normally, I would agree with you. But we had like 6 games already demonstrating the same premise and gameplay.

A shake up like this is needed for a series that has exhausted all the potential it had.

I guess, I see your point and the demo definitely leaned more to monster like enemies, but usually the gods were more humanoid looking:

godofwarhelios.jpg

I just don't see anything like this happening again with the tone they are trying to set and the story they are trying to tell. And, maybe that's a bummer? I don't know, I'm just so excited to see how they handle this game now with this direction.

I think it will happen, but put in a different light. With the kid being some sort of conduit for Kratos to do some self reflection about what he just did.

Game seem like it has some conflict of interests going on big time. They said the son is supposed to be humanizing Kratos but they also said Kratos will be just as brutal and gory as before. So this kid is humanizing Kratos as he watches/helps his father torture/maim/decapitate people? I mean there is no shortage of scenes depicting Kratos killing innocent people and getting into gang bangs, he is still doing that with a kid around?

I really hope the crafting is a one shot deal, for example you collect an amount of such and such to permanently upgrade your bow. Not the crafting style where I will need to continuously create an expendable weapon. I don't play God Of War for the latter. It's the type of game you play to escape that type of game.

The Dink

On the one hand I hate Kratos as a character and the thought of a monster like him raising a child is terrifying.
On the other, that was a hell of a trailer and I want to play this.

Why does every game character need to have a backstory and emotions .

Did anyone really want to understand Kratos , and especially now Kratos family ? I pretty much liked these games and mindless back and slash games , not everything needs to have an amazing scripted story ?

If they wanted to do a family story why not just create a new ip for a new audience .

I am sure I will still have some fun in an uncharted / last of us way , but it won't be a classic hack and slash like the old games used to be .

Kudos to Santa Monica for going for something truly new in a stale series. If they manage to pull off the Father - Son dynamic and the story, this could be something truly special.
To be honest I wasn't blown away by the e3 demo, but reading this information has given context to the demo and I'm sure I will appreciate more when I view it again

I really don't see that fresh new direction here. They just swapped out one tired style for the new hotness which also becoming tired already.

Don't get me wrong, I like that Kratos will have more character than none at all
but fresh and new this isn't.

Gameplay wise I'm still not convinced about over the shoulder melee combat. I'm open to be proven wrong though.

Overall this is a really mixed bag for me. Some changes are very welcome I just hope they didn't take it too far into another direction.

Also that son button sounds dumb as hell. :p

rdytoroll

so what happens when dudebro #4 goes to the store expecting old buttonmash gow and gets this ?

dont get how this isnt just a new ip. kratos doesnt fit in this like at all

What's supposed to happen? Sony got their money, so good for them. Maybe dudebro should have informed himself what the game is about.

Developers can't just keep on doing the same stuff game after game and they shouldn't care about people making uninformed buying decisions. That's dudebros problem

They went in the right direction with this game, it was time

Top Bottom