• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Launches Early 2018 (PS4)

Endo Punk

The gameinformer interview turned my hype up to 11. So goddamn good, that part about there being whole additional levels off the beaten path has me foaming at the mouth. Game of E3 as far as I'm concerned.

Wollan

Wish this game was on the E3 floor. No theatre showings either.

Big poster on West Hall entrance and a building but not actually present at E3 outside of keynote.

It sounds and looks fantastic. Glad I got into the Colliseum showing.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
The gameinformer interview turned my hype up to 11. So goddamn good, that part about there being whole additional levels off the beaten path has me foaming at the mouth. Game of E3 as far as I'm concerned.
The game's new structure makes me curious about traversal options. If there are no load screens or cuts then doesn't that mean no fast travel? Can you backtrack anywhere you want or will the game propel you forward like previous GOWs? If I miss an optional area is there a point at which I can longer return there? If the game is fully open do you just run in realtime from place to place?

Gurish

Still can't believe that what is arguably the best looking game of E3 (along side Anthem and Spiderman) was running on an OG PS4, pretty shocking that such a dated hardware can run something that looks this good.

SSM really outdone themselves with this one.

The game's new structure makes me curious about traversal options. If there are no load screens or cuts then doesn't that mean no fast travel? Can you backtrack anywhere you want or will the game propel you forward like previous GOWs? If I miss an optional area is there a point at which I can longer return there? If the game is fully open do you just run in realtime from place to place?
They described it as super wide-linear. So I personally wouldn't expect backtracking

Oneself

Still can't believe that what is arguably the best looking game of E3 (along side Anthem and Spiderman) was running on an OG PS4, pretty shocking that such a dated hardware can run something that looks this good.

Well, they have a long history of being awesome. After all, they did GOW2 on a PS2!!

strafer

Take a look who the developer is, same people who manage to cram out every drop out of PS2, God of War 1 and 2. It's amazing.

Two Words

Well, they have a long history of being awesome. After all, they did GOW2 on a PS2!!
I really thought them moving to a third person camera would cause a significant hit to the visual quality. The God of War games always having a camera out of the player's control has always allowed them to focus the visuals in a way you can't really do with a third person camera.

Detroit, The Lost Legacy, Days Gone (best looking UE4 game with Paragon), The Lost Legacy and Shadow Of The Colossus Remake (which looks even better than the Last Guardian) all still look among the best too and are exclusive to PS4. They looked great last year on PS4 but look even more impressive on PRO and 4K.
I agree with you that GOW looks spectacular considering it still runs on PS4 and they even managed to improve the graphics which look CGI like nwo thanks to enhanced post-process effects.
But this is not sth unbelievable considering the long hsitory of technical achievements from SSM and how they are able to push each platform to the limits (keep in mind GOW2 had a secret which ran in HD and the game looked better than some PS3 launch titles like Genji).
I can't wait to see how the game will look on PS4 PRO and in 4K.

_Ryo_

Does this game not feature orbs?

Also so that guy who stated there wasnt really a game there was just wronf, I assume?

Does this game not feature orbs?

Nope. I mentioned this many times: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=240487180&postcount=607
You use plants to recover health. It reminds me of the Xen part in Half-Life where evrything changed there and you you need to use the flora and elements of the planet to survive.

In my previous post I talked about how this game is striving for more realism and almost ditched all the elements that constitued the core of previous GOW games, yet it still remains GOW.

At this point the only thing making it a God of War game is Kratos.

At this point the only thing making MGS5:TPP an MGS game is Snake
but he is neither Big Boss nor Solid Snake

MGRising has nothing to do with the core of the series and it is still called Metal Gear.
Same for MGS Survive with not even any main character.

_Ryo_

Nope. I mentioned this many times: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=240487180&postcount=607
You use plants to recover health. It reminds me of the Xen part in Half-Life where evrything changed there and you you need to use the flora and elements of the planet to survive.

In my previous post I talked about how this game is striving for more realism and almost ditched all the elements that constitued the core of previous GOW games, yet it still remains GOW.

Ah. Alright. Neat. It sounds kinda like Horizon in a way, which is interesting.

Detroit, The Lost Legacy, Days Gone (best looking UE4 game with Paragon), The Lost Legacy and Shadow Of The Colossus Remake (which looks even better than the Last Guardian) all still look among the best too and are exclusive to PS4. They looked great last year on PS4 but look even more impressive on PRO and 4K.
I agree with you that GOW looks spectacular considering it still runs on PS4 and they even managed to improve the graphics which look CGI like nwo thanks to enhanced post-process effects.
But this is not sth unbelievable considering the long hsitory of technical achievements from SSM and how they are able to push each platform to the limits (keep in mind GOW2 had a secret which ran in HD and the game looked better than some PS3 launch titles like Genji).
I can't wait to see how the game will look on PS4 PRO and in 4K.

Why do all your posts have "sth" in it. Are you missing a keyboard key?

At this point the only thing making it a God of War game is Kratos.

Well, is not like the old games if that's what you mean but... do you really want another God of War 3/Ascension with a different skin?

I would certainly play that but it'd probably wouldn't be anywhere close my most anticipated game of 2018. This is, things changed in a way I can consider the game to be among the best of our time can offer.

Now, does anyone cared to ask if the boat captain will have an appearance? lol.

Well, is not like the old games if that's what you mean but... do you really want another God of War 3/Ascension with a different skin?

I would certainly play that but it'd probably wouldn't be anywhere close my most anticipated game of 2018. This is, things changed in a way I can consider the game to be among the best of our time can offer.

Now, does anyone cared to ask if the boat captain will have an appearance? lol.

You mean the captain of the boat of the first game that got attacked by the hydra and who got swallowed by it and that Kratos instead of saving him, he stole the key from him and let him fall inside the throat of the hydra?

Well, We saw a similar reaction with Kratos with the dwarf in the golden armor, but still different: Kratos is still the angry person we know that gets irritated by anything, but instead of being ruthless and careless of the lives of the others, he just appear scary.
I like how this time they subverted eveyrhing of the previous GOW games, like when you expected to fight the giant snake, it instead offered its help and when we expected Kratos to kill the dwarf due to his bad joke, he just scared him in a funny way.

You mean the captain of the boat of the first game that got attacked by the hydra and who got swallowed by it and that Kratos instead of saving him, he stole the key from him and let him fall inside the throat of the hydra?

Well, We saw a similar reaction with Kratos with the dwarf in the golden armor, but still different: Kratos is still the angry person we know that gets irritated by anything, but instead of being ruthless and careless of the lives of the others, he just appear scary.
I like how this time they subverted eveyrhing of the previous GOW games, like when you expected to fight the giant snake, it instead offered its help and when we expected Kratos to kill the dwarf due to his bad joke, he just scared him in a funny way.

Yes that one, just that he appeared as an easter egg in the sequels (as a ghost in 2 and a note in the underwold in 3). I'm sure that there won't be an easter egg this time regarding him but no harm with asking.

Me trying to understand all the Norse runes Sony Santa Monica keeps typing on Twitter when replying to people...
tumblr_mr70yf7mRe1qaz4yjo2_500.gif

Sanctuary

Isn't sth the abbreviation of something? As far as I know, it is.

Right, but most people don't write an abbreviation of something, just like most people probably don't even know that's what "sth" is, so it makes little sense to keep using it in an actual sentence that you want someone to read. It's mainly an abbreviation someone uses when only writing for themselves, typically notes. Beyond that, it's almost exclusively found in reference books. Even your reply is kind of baffling, because yes, it's an abbreviation of "something": the word something.

Mega Sackman‏ @MegaSackman

@corybarlog The question that needs an answer, it all comes down to this: Ship captain easter egg, yes or no?

Cory Barlog‏ @corybarlog

En respuesta a @MegaSackman
Hmmmmmm...interesting question.

He won't say. :p

Sony Santa Monica Explains Why Kratos Isn't Using the Blades of Chaos in God of War PS4

We were experimenting with lots of different weapons, lots of different things...I think we wanted to create an identity, because to me the blades represent a very dark time in [Kratos'] life. They are not just a weapon to him. They are his scarlet letter. They are the marking that somebody tricked him, that he made a bad deal, that he made a mistake. Powerful, but I think also powerfully charged in its emotion. So I think of part of him wanting to move forward is being able to [leave the blades behind].

”It gives us the freedom to experiment with what we really want to do. I think the magic moment with the axe, honestly, was when a programmer and a combat designer was like, ‘I have this cool idea.' Right away the magic of throwing the axe, having it stick anywhere in the world, and then recalling it, and then kind of playing around with that, and realizing you can hit people with it, you can throw it behind them, move in front of them, recall it and hit him in the back.

How can kratos kill Thor? We all know that fight is probably coming. The whole story will probably loki using kratos to kill the Gods. Loki betray kratos after Thor and Odin is killed. Then kratos goes on revenge against loki for part 5. Typical GoW story.

MattAces

How can kratos kill Thor? We all know that fight is probably coming. The whole story will probably loki using kratos to kill the Gods. Loki betray kratos after Thor and Odin is killed. Then kratos goes on revenge against loki for part 5. Typical GoW story.

He killed Zeus, and every other Greek Gods.
Nobody should ever ask "How can Kratos kill x".

Two Words

At this point the only thing making MGS5:TPP an MGS game is Snake but [REDACTED SPOILER].

MGRising has nothing to do with the core of the series and it is still called Metal Gear.
Same for MGS Survive with not even any main character.
That spoiler you put up is a real dick move.

DC1

Not saying that your assumption is not a thing,. But if it was, is there a problem with it?

Not saying that your assumption is not a thing,. But if it was, is there a problem with it?
Not really I mean I expect a typical story anyway. Kraots is now going to eradicate all Norse Gods. His son is probably going to get killed again and this time by Loki. Then revenge.
He killed Zeus, and every other Greek Gods.
Nobody should ever ask "How can Kratos kill x".
The Gods went down pretty easily in gow3. Kratos killed them like nothing.

The Gods went down pretty easily in gow3. Kratos killed them like nothing.
Well, the gods were already in the middle of a war, and Kratos had the help of the titans against a few

Even Ares in the first game, Kratos got an upgrade

Did we ever see Kratos go up against a god without any handicaps? Zeus killed him in 2

Would it be irony if his son killed him by the end of the game?
Considering that it seems like we level up the son and can equip him with gear, and a big theme seems to be raising him to be a warrior, I kind of expect them to build up the relationship and then have you play as the son and fight and/or kill Kratos. And then the son becomes the new protagonist of the franchise

Did you notice that in this artwork, that besides he is carrying the head, the boat is filled with items he collected along his journey? There are local idols and a greek vase. Such items are scattered over the the areas pf the game and many are secret or hidden.
It seems the boat will play a big role in traveling in the game which seems to be very big and locations distant from each others hence you need the boat.

vivekTO

Did you notice that in this artwork, that besides he is carrying the head, the boat is filled with items he collected along his journey? There are local idols and a greek vase. Such items are scattered over the the areas pf the game and many are secret or hidden.
It seems the boat will play a big role in traveling in the game which seems to be very big and locations distant from each others hence you need the boat.

Are you suggesting you can upgrade your boat or something?

Top Bottom