• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Launches Early 2018 (PS4)

I wonder how Kratos got that scar in his stomach. I think there's something off with the kid, I don't like his face.

He was impaled twice with that god killing sword.
probably leaves a mark.

Why doesnt his kid have resistance to cold though, being all covered in fur? He is atleast a demigod if not more seems like extreme temperatures shouldn't do much to him. I mean kratos is essentially running half naked

probably leaves a mark.

Why doesnt his kid have resistance to cold though, being all covered in fur? He is atleast a demigod if not more seems like extreme temperatures shouldn't do much to him. I mean kratos is essentially running half naked
I gotta be honest. I laughed at the second time, specially
since he did it to himself
XD

probably leaves a mark.

Probably because having a half naked kid running around would look weird and I'm willing to bet the kid's lineage and identity will be a secret for a portion of the game.

My theory:
Kid is Ullr, Mom is Sif. A lot of the game revolves around Kratos raising the kid in becoming the God he is supposed to be

I wonder how Kratos got that scar in his stomach. I think there's something off with the kid, I don't like his face.
He's had it for a while

ZSUXdH1h.jpg

I gotta be honest. I laughed at the second time, specially
since he did it to himself
XD

I never understood how that worked lol,
first time , i understand - he died and climbed out of hell, he couldnt 'die' die because he's a pureblooded god and was supposed to stay in hell as weakened i guess ,but how the hell did it work the next time?

He beat the living shit out of zeus who never returned, and there was no hell to go to.

My guess is the sword's power faded with cronos dying, and maybe the only way to truly kill gods it to overpower and destroy them physically . So kratos just healed like he would from sword wound.

It'll be interesting how they set up his interaction with other gods and detail how if these are different realms or if they ever co existed with the greek gods.
Either way, kratos becoming active again must be making them hella nervous.

Man, i just realized with all this info, we know jack shit about the actual story. Good marketing

vivekTO

Is this suggesting the Map of the game?? Like a journey through the 8 realms of Norse mythology. but where is the 9th?? It also suggest the game will still be a linear progression rather than open world type, which is good.

Code:
[IMG]http://godofwar.playstation.com/static/img/journey-map/mobile-base.png[/IMG]

I'm stoked for the game and am sure it will be great. But is anyone else disappointed that the focus is on Kratos and his kid? I'm not sure I'll like having the kid around all the time.

vivekTO

I'm stoked for the game and am sure it will be great. But is anyone else disappointed that the focus is on Kratos and his kid? I'm not sure I'll like having the kid around all the time.

Nope.there focus is still on kratos and the kid will provide a further understanding into his character, which i am pretty exciting about.

Simo

So how is there even a world left with inhabitants after GoW 3?

Cory said the Gods in the world attached to various mythologies are like politicians: each are set to govern their own realm and countries. So obviously Zeus and the rest of the Greek Pantheon only affected that realm and Greece when they fell. Also didn't Kratos unleash Hope upon what was left of Greece and it's survivors to rebuild? Wasn't that what Athena wanted for herself so she could guide them how she saw fit?

The only constant that actually ties the other gods and their realms is Kratos.

So how is there even a world left with inhabitants after GoW 3?

Well that's the million dollar question, we don't know and Cory won't tell us.
EDIT: beaten and better explained.
It would be interesting if Kratos were to return to Greece only to find
that Athena has taken over
(boom sequel hype even before this game has come out XD).

Crayon

I must echo the concern of the combat. But these guys are pretty good at what they do and we haven't seen hardly any gameplay yet.

Simo

If you look around the new site they have some new screens with captions including the Jotunn, Sindri being the name of the golden blue guy that Kratos throws the axe at etc

If you look around the new site they have some new screens with captions including the Jotunn, Sindri being the name of the golden blue guy that Kratos throws the axe at etc
Good find!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sindri_(mythology)

I've been reading a lot more about Norse mythology and one of the things that made it appealing to the writers is a lot of it is kind of ambiguous and coukd have a lot more wiggle room than some of the more fleshed out mythologies like Greek or Roman.

Simo

According to the site the woman from the trailer is listed as the Witch in the woods. Also the axe is named the Leviathan Axe.

Kotaku has a nice write up about the game being showcased behind closed doors with Cory doing Q&A.
http://kotaku.com/the-new-god-of-war-might-finally-make-kratos-interestin-1796080869

The article confirms Sindri and that he was responsible for crafting Mjolnir. He's a weapons merchant in the game and your interaction could also help to a possible reconcilation with his estranged brother, Brokkr.

Shin-Ra

Won't we have a cut anyway, whenever we go to menu and upgrade our skill. talking about upgrades, we haven't seen red orbs yet, I wonder if it'll be different this time.
The camera could just zoom in on the equipment with overlays ala Crysis or Dead Space.

I never understood how that worked lol,
first time , i understand - he died and climbed out of hell, he couldnt 'die' die because he's a pureblooded god and was supposed to stay in hell as weakened i guess ,but how the hell did it work the next time?

He beat the living shit out of zeus who never returned, and there was no hell to go to.

My guess is the sword's power faded with cronos dying, and maybe the only way to truly kill gods it to overpower and destroy them physically . So kratos just healed like he would from sword wound.

It'll be interesting how they set up his interaction with other gods and detail how if these are different realms or if they ever co existed with the greek gods.
Either way, kratos becoming active again must be making them hella nervous.

Man, i just realized with all this info, we know jack shit about the actual story. Good marketing

Don't worry about all of this. Cory already gave an answer for that:

According to the site the woman from the trailer is listed as the Witch in the woods. Also the axe is named the Leviathan Axe.

Kotaku has a nice write up about the game being showcased behind closed doors with Cory doing Q&A.
http://kotaku.com/the-new-god-of-war-might-finally-make-kratos-interestin-1796080869

The article confirms Sindri and that he was responsible for crafting Mjolnir. He's a weapons merchant in the game and your interaction could also help to a possible reconcilation with his estranged brother, Brokkr.

I knew it and I said that many times too and this just confirms it. She is not Krato's wife. She doesn't have any resemblance with Atreus at all. We know already
from the insinuation from the trailers and especially the sand story from the panel, that the wife is confirmed to be dead. She taught her kid the native language and how to hunt, then something happened to her, like her cursed son unleashing his anger/power to kill,her or she may have protected him from some threats, or from other reasons like disease. And we see just after that they burnt her as burial procedure and her death angered Kratos so much and made him fall on his knees. This is why their relations became ambiguous: not as a normal father/son relation, but as distant sir/boy one since Kratos may not have forgiven him for what happened to his wife. And then just after the death they went seeking the snake to ask him to lift the curse perhaps
You can take that for granted now.

About the axe. Now I understand why, when he got the axe thrown at him, he got a two part reaction: first he got scared by the throw, then when seeing the axe, he may have recognized it and was surprised how Kratos got it.

Btw, I think Kratos and his son are really going to eat in this game. We saw them hunting a deer last year and now Atreus trying to ignite a fire and Kratos helping him.

That enemy looks sick!

Yeah variety looks good so far.

The white wanderers? :p
I noticed in the trailer when Kratos is punching one of those enemies on the stomach, his belly got deformed by the punch (exactly like how the face and mouth of troll got deformed last year when Kratos smashed him on the ground) and he started spitting blood.

FelipeMGM

Probably because having a half naked kid running around would look weird and I'm willing to bet the kid's lineage and identity will be a secret for a portion of the game.

My theory:
Kid is Ullr, Mom is Sif. A lot of the game revolves around Kratos raising the kid in becoming the God he is supposed to be

This makes sense.
since he is teaching the kid how to hunt on the first trailer and of course, the kid has a Bow

The son looks different in this screen. Bigger too...

its concept art so thats not unusual

After further checking, I am fearing that this game won't have a jump button, let alone midair copmbos like before. The only instance we saw Kratos jumping was that slow motion stomp freezing attack we saw last year and now. Apart from that we never saw him jumping.
In previous GOW trailers we saw him jumping and performing aerial attacks and combos.
This is worrisome.
We need someone to tweet Cory and ask him about this and get a correct answer for that.

Betty

Banned
The kid is going to ruin the game and I hate how cramped and slow the combat now feels.

Still gonna buy it i guess, but some of the choices are dampening the hype.

vivekTO

The kid is going to ruin the game and I hate how cramped and slow the combat now feels.

"The kid is going to ruin the game" how so?
"cramped and slow the combat now feels" you feel this after watching the recent trailer??

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

I don't think the combat looks fully baked yet but I don't see how it's cramped or slow.

Also the kid barely says or does anything so I don't know why he's triggering people's automatic "kids are annoying companions in media" reactions.

After further checking, I am fearing that this game won't have a jump button, let alone midair copmbos like before. The only instance we saw Kratos jumping was that slow motion stomp freezing attack we saw last year and now. Apart from that we never saw him jumping.
In previous GOW trailers we saw him jumping and performing aerial attacks and combos.
This is worrisome.
If I had to bet, I think there will be some moves that freeze the enemy in the air for a period allowing Kratos to beat on them or launch them or whatever. But I think Kratos himself will remain more grounded in keeping with the game's new tone. Air combos are fun but they would look exceedingly stupid in a game with this level of realism. I mean, they looked pretty stupid already in the first GOW.

I don't think the combat looks fully baked yet but I don't see how it's cramped or slow.

Also the kid barely says or does anything so I don't know why he's triggering people's automatic "kids are annoying companions in media" reactions.

Yeah, kid will be like Ellie or Elizabeth, and not like freaking Ashley Graham.

Top Bottom