• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gone Home |OT| I ain't afraid of no ghost!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
This is more the kind of indie game I'm interested in. I hope it's a path that continues with stuff like Everybody's Gone To Rapture.

Brick

Polygon's Review is up:

http://www.polygon.com/game/gone-home/11272

Does this review strike anyone else as weird? Danielle Riendeau, the reviewer, is close with several members of Idle Thumbs (She was on last weeks episode), which the lead designer of Gone Home, Steve Gaynor, is also a part of. The Idle Thumbs group is very close, often going so far as to follow each other to different jobs. The fact that this is posted so much earlier than any other website, as well as that it’s a perfect 10 on a website that rarely gives out perfect scores, comes across as really weird to me. Something about all of this just doesn't feel… on the level.

I love the Idle Thumbs guys, and I know they hang out here, but this seems weirdly shady.

Polygon's Review is up:

Does this review strike anyone else as weird? Danielle Riendeau, the reviewer, is close with several members of Idle Thumbs (She was on last weeks episode), which the lead designer of Gone Home, Steve Gaynor, is also a part of. The Idle Thumbs group is very close, often going so far as to follow each other to different jobs. The fact that this is posted so much earlier than any other website, as well as that it’s a perfect 10 on a website that rarely gives out perfect scores, comes across as really weird to me. Something about all of this just doesn't feel… on the level.

I love the Idle Thumbs guys, and I know they hang out here, but this seems weirdly shady.
Sounds like a conflict of interest for sure. Not because he would be handing out a 10 to a friend, just that it's bad practice in my mind. Should have given it to someone else.

I bought it through their website. I'd imagine that this sort of game would be best on the brink of discussion rather than after-the-fact.

I may give away my Steam key for the game with strings attached, like, post a five paragraph essay on why there are no ghosts in the game, or stir up some conversation in the thread a week from now. I want to foster the sort of thing this game is obviously trying to push, while offering the game to someone who wouldn't be otherwise able to buy it.

Polygon's Review is up:

They're just friends I think, you'll eventually be in such a tight-knit community. I don't they've formally worked with each other or Polygon done any specific ad promotion of Gone Home, right? Other websites have been giving it perfect scores like Giant Bomb. They barely talked about this game on the podcast, so I don't remember if their relationship was mentioned.

Polygon's Review is up:

A Polygon member doing something unethical?!? GTFO.

Brick

Sounds like a conflict of interest for sure. Not because he would be handing out a 10 to a friend, just that it's bad practice in my mind. Should have given it to someone else.

Yeah, that's how it feels to me. With all of the other sites giving it high scores, I'm sure that this is a fantastic game. But when it's from a website that does not give perfect scores that often, it comes across as a little gross, even if there was nothing underhanded going on.

Polygon's Review is up:

Not my place to make this call of course, but I don't think Danielle actually really knows Steve or the other Fullbright folks (she only met Jake for the first time ever on that podcast). I'm good friends with her—totally unrelated to Idle Thumbs—but I doubt my contribution to the game affected her review much at all.

Edit: For what it's worth, I think Danielle's life experience makes her uniquely suited at Polygon to review this game. I think it would be a bummer if that opportunity were lost because of a relatively thin other connection. That's just my perspective of course.

Oh wow I want this - I was thinking just the other day about how I'd love more games that place emphasis on exploration in well realised and heavily detailed environments.

Was wondering when this was going to release also, but will likely have to wait due to funds :[

Brick

Not my place to make this call of course, but I don't think Danielle actually really knows Steve or the other Fullbright folks (she only met Jake for the first time ever on that podcast). I'm good friends with her—totally unrelated to Idle Thumbs—but I doubt my contribution to the game affected her review much at all.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. I didn't want to stir anything up, it just felt weird from an outsiders point of view.

Either way, I've been looking forward to playing this for some time and am excited to finally get my hands on it!

iammeiam

Looks like I just barely miss the minimum specs for the game on my cheap laptop (Intel HD 3000, sigh), so it'll have to wait until I get home on Sunday to check it out. Gives me time to waffle back and forth over the cost a few times.

Yes, I recommend it highly! Already played it for around 40 minutes or so, and it's fantastic. Good job, Fullbright Company! It's exactly what indie games should be!

Twinduct

Really want to buy this ... but also need to pay rent .... might have to wait it out I guess :/
Given the game's unique nature .. I assume almost everything about boilers on Spoilers right?

I mean other than the mysterious house filled with evil and stuff.

I want to try this but $17.99 seems like a lot of money for a game like this. I'll probably end up buying it any way because the first 2 minutes of the GiantBomb quicklook were already really interesting to me.

Polygon's Review is up:

Totally agree.

I'm not sure if she knows Steve Gaynor, but she's definitely good friends with Chris Remo, who also worked on the game.

She should not have reviewed this.

Empty

so many great details in here -
the dad's shitty jfk conspiracy fiction (plus the reviews!), the adorable childrens pirate story

also i can't help but pick up and examine every tissue box, pen and coaster. i hope there's something interesting hidden in one of them!

Edit: For what it's worth, I think Danielle's life experience makes her uniquely suited at Polygon to review this game. I think it would be a bummer if that opportunity were lost because of a relatively thin other connection. That's just my perspective of course.

I hear you Chris.

But I still feel like giving the review to someone unconnected to anyone on the project would have been a better move. Especially on a game from such a small team.

Can't wait to play it though!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
This game straight up doesn't boot on my Win 7 machine. :(

Gah, the few times I buy a PC game and this happens.

AJ_Wings

so many great details in here -
the dad's shitty jfk conspiracy fiction (plus the reviews!), the adorable childrens pirate story

also i can't help but pick up and examine every tissue box, pen and coaster. i hope there's something interesting hidden in one of them!

Don't forget dad's pass code for his file locker. That gave me a good chuckle.

While I would obviously have been happier to snag this at a cheaper price, I'm totally willing to pay 20 bucks to support Fullbright and show that I want to see more games like this.

Definitely voting with my wallet on this one.

I've got the day off tomorrow, so I'm planning on playing it all in one go.

I just played through the whole game. It's fantastic. I loved loved loved it.

FUCK EUROGAMER!

I took me
2 hours (exactly)
to complete.

I just played through the whole game. It's fantastic. I loved loved loved it.

FUCK EUROGAMER!

I took me
2 hours (exactly)
to complete.

It took me about an hour and a half. A bit disappointed about that, but I felt like I was pretty thorough. I missed a few things I could think of. I wonder if there's more to it than what I got though?

jimmy5150

It took me about an hour and a half. A bit disappointed about that, but I felt like I was pretty thorough. I missed a few things I could think of. I wonder if there's more to it than what I got though?

yeah, it's a bit short, but not like Dear Esther where you have seen 90% of the game one time through. The steam community page is already full of screenshots of little things I missed.

This made me laugh:

A0FB48E62DBD3F08D3B66EFFF738C5FC725F60AE

yeah, it's a bit short, but not like Dear Esther where you have seen 90% of the game one time through. The steam community page is already full of screenshots of little things I missed.

Yea I checked it out, and I saw pretty much everything. Dear Esther worked a bit more for me, but this was good. I'm speculating more on what happened compared to DE. But DE had such a great climax/resolution.

TentPole

A little worried about Eurogamers assertion that the overall story could have fit as a plot thread in a subpar season of Dawson's Creek.

Top Bottom