• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport announced

driver116

I know it does not fit your narrative, but GT is likely historically the biggest Sony's first party contributor worldwide.

So if you think they need to have bigger control over their best studio, then think again. Reason Evolution and others were closed is that they were unsuccessful.

And reason Polyphony can do what they want to do is that they are very successful. Very simple.

Revisionist history does not help - GT5 and GT6 had tons of features, more so than any other game in the genre and customers appreciated that and that made them success.

Sure, if you're stuck in the PS2 era.
I was simply observing, that Naughty Dog sold far more units in the PS3 gen than PD.

Yes PD have introduced a lot of new features and I respect them for that, but at the same time they've been floundering in their development.

And a narrative? GTFO with that rubbish.

I know it does not fit your narrative, but GT is likely historically the biggest Sony's first party contributor worldwide.

So if you think they need to have bigger control over their best studio, then think again. Reason Evolution and others were closed is that they were unsuccessful.

And reason Polyphony can do what they want to do is that they are very successful. Very simple.

Revisionist history does not help - GT5 and GT6 had tons of features, more so than any other game in the genre and customers appreciated that and that made them success.

This also isn't taking into account that PD tends to be the one that has to push whatever bullshit Sony has come up with at the time. This time around it's VR.

Mascot

PD and Sony need to remember that GT has traditionally existed pretty much in isolation, with very little legitimate competition on Playstation. GTS will be released with Project CARS and Assetto Corsa already on the market, so potential purchasers might not cut the studio as much slack as they have done in the past, especially with the burn from GT5 and GT6 still being felt.

GHG

PD and Sony need to remember that GT has traditionally existed pretty much in isolation, with very little legitimate competition on Playstation. GTS will be released with Project CARS and Assetto Corsa already on the market, so potential purchasers might not cut the studio as much slack as they have done in the past.

This is what it boils down to basically. They need to step their game up or they will be badly exposed.

I just hope Kaz has been playing PCars and Assetto Corsa more than he has Forza though (if he plays anything other than GT all that is).

JamboGT

The thing I want most from Assetto Corsa is the realistic assists, use what they use in real life. Is a great feature. Also model the transmission and drivetrain as well as in AC and GT will be sorted handling wise :)

Juicy Bob

PD and Sony need to remember that GT has traditionally existed pretty much in isolation, with very little legitimate competition on Playstation. GTS will be released with Project CARS and Assetto Corsa already on the market, so potential purchasers might not cut the studio as much slack as they have done in the past, especially with the burn from GT5 and GT6 still being felt.
I'm a fan of GT and racing games and simracing in general, but it's true. I enjoyed GT5 for what it was, but the actual racing side of Gran Turismo has always been lacklustre.

I did a one hour GT3 race around Silverstone on PCARS earlier today with 31 cars and it was one of the most immersive and fun racing experiences I've had in a long while. If I tried to emulate something similar on GT5 of GT6 (which I never played), I doubt the actual racing against the AI would be anywhere close to as exciting as that was.

GT is great for the car enthusiast side of me, but I'm a fan of motorsport more than I am just of cars themselves. This is where PCARS shines for me. I'm looking forward to seeing how GT Sport turns out as I think it's great that Kaz is making a more motorsport-focused title, but they really need to make sure they nail all the elements that will make it feel like a real race, not just a time trial against 15 other robots.

velociraptor

I was simply observing, that Naughty Dog sold far more units in the PS3 gen than PD.

Yes PD have introduced a lot of new features and I respect them for that, but at the same time they've been floundering in their development.

It's quite clear that ND is Sony's most successful studio. PD's output is downright abysmal.

ND released what, 4 games in the same timespan as PD released 2? And that's four unique games. I'm thinking it's easier to rehash a racing title because assets are mostly the same.

I don't understand why GT takes forever to develop.

JamboGT

Naughty Dog has more than twice the number of employees and outsources art, PD does things in house. I guess a lot of it is just numbers.

Am not against Outsourcing at all, I think PD would benefit from that and increasing their workforce size, they have made enough money!

sono

Great trailer , but I dont think any of that was PS4 in game, looked like replay shots..

I want to know what this looks like in game..

spwolf

definitely not in PS2 Era - GT5:p as well as GT5 were big reasons many people got PS3. Not to mention that GT HD was probably the thing that most people played in first half year of PS3. Overall, GT sold over 22m on PS3 via 2.5 games.

Polyphony is also very influential, they have their own TV shows, race series, they introduce new vehicles to the world.

So yeah, it is weird to see it put as if they suck because they dont milk us by releasing a one game per year. If they did that, they would certainly boost sales short term but long term as we can clearly see by their competition, thats not good idea. If they released yearly games, they also would not have time to introduce these big features that years and years later their competition lacks.

According to the wikipedia, GT5 cost around $60m to make, which makes them easily the most profitable Sony studio. Both GT5 and GT5P were best selling first party games to date when they were released.

Some things are worth waiting for.

RaijinFY

I don't mind a long development cycle generally, the one thing you can be sure of with PD is that they will support the game for a long time with updates which helps when there is a long gap between releases. GT5 was being updated till after 6 came out and 6 is still getting updates now.

It is more of an issue now though with no GT on PS4, really looking forward to hearing more and hopefully seeing the game at least by E3.

That was obvious when you had GT6 released so late in PS3's life...

terrible

Banned
If GT Sport actually came out this year that would've been perfect I think. Every three years is ideal. People mention Forza but one game (main series) every two years is too much I feel. They're consistently missing a ton of features that have been on the community wishlist for years.

PD and Turn 10 should get together and figure out how to meet in the middle when it comes to development time lol.

GHG

Great trailer , but I dont think any of that was PS4 in game, looked like replay shots..

I want to know what this looks like in game..

It's all any of us want at this stage lo

Exclusive leaked footage:

Win3x_Black_Screen_of_Death.gif

driver116

So yeah, it is weird to see it put as if they suck because they dont milk us by releasing a one game per year.

And who said that? And who's said they want one per year? Because I certainly did not say or would want it.

And I did say 'probably' with Naughty Dog.

All most of us in this thread want it for PD/SCI to be more transparent instead of keeping their fans waiting bored with no info on the promised beta.

Sky Saw

Banned
definitely not in PS2 Era - GT5:p as well as GT5 were big reasons many people got PS3. Not to mention that GT HD was probably the thing that most people played in first half year of PS3. Overall, GT sold over 22m on PS3 via 2.5 games.

Polyphony is also very influential, they have their own TV shows, race series, they introduce new vehicles to the world.

So yeah, it is weird to see it put as if they suck because they dont milk us by releasing a one game per year. If they did that, they would certainly boost sales short term but long term as we can clearly see by their competition, thats not good idea. If they released yearly games, they also would not have time to introduce these big features that years and years later their competition lacks.

According to the wikipedia, GT5 cost around $60m to make, which makes them easily the most profitable Sony studio. Both GT5 and GT5P were best selling first party games to date when they were released.

Some things are worth waiting for.

I am one of those people who bought a PS3 for GT5:p and GT5 and for a preview/demo GT5P was so damn promising, but GT5 was NOT worth waiting for..I'd say Forza 4 was a better game overall and that took what? 2 years to develop? GT6 is what GT5 should have been, and by the time GT6 came out that just wasn't good enough. I mean look at the sales..clearly people were burned by 5. PD are stale and hopefully Sport will change that but man I am getting sick of waiting to find out.

Race Room's sound guy got rejected by Polyphony :(

However, I'm most proud about this is to have had the chance to meet Kazunori Yamauchi (CEO of the studio Polyphony Digital, Gran Turismo game developer) and part of his team in Amsterdam in November 2014. At that time, Polyphony Digital sound designers sought to remake the full Gran Turismo sounds and being a fan of Gran Turismo, I sent an email to the team but without much hope. In the end, they called me two weeks later to invite me to a job interview in Amsterdam, all expenses paid by Sony. I was the first sound designer received by the team as part of this recruitment, and also the first non-Japanese developer to participate in a recruitment studio. Finally, I was also the first to visit the new premises of Polyphony Digital in Amsterdam.

Cà did many early so I received honors that go with it. Beyond here, and even if I was not selected for the post, I will never forget this day and emotion of this encounter for me, the little modder and member of the RTS community that I was facing this giant video game and what's more skilled driver. I at least had confirmation that R3E had not gone unnoticed by everybody, I think Sector3 can be proud of that.

Also blanked Codemasters guy, how amazing will GTS sound if they can reject these scrubs?

dracula_x

It's quite clear that ND is Sony's most successful studio. PD's output is downright abysmal.

ND released what, 4 games in the same timespan as PD released 2
? And that's four unique games. I'm thinking it's easier to rehash a racing title because assets are mostly the same.

I don't understand why GT takes forever to develop.
3 actually — GT5, GT PSP and GT6

Also blanked Codemasters guy, how amazing will GTS sound if they can reject these scrubs?

Probably the most interesting take away there is that PD are seemingly hiring sound designers for each of their new locations. We know Mike is based in their LA studio and that Alexander guy is in Europe.

In November 2014 R3E already had the best sound in sim racing. I didn't know it back then, but they did. Everyone who's not familiar with it should look up RaceRoom Racing Experience's sound on youtube or wherever.

So they rejected a guy from Sector3, but hired a guy from Turn 10?! ...hmm
wouldn't surprise me if someone from Evolution has been stranded at PD now or during last years layoffs as well. Nothing against Forza's and Driveclub's sound, but I'd hoped that PD would want to up the ante here.

GHG

In November 2014 R3E already had the best sound in sim racing. I didn't know it back then, but they did. Everyone who's not familiar with it should look up RaceRoom Racing Experience's sound on youtube or wherever.

So they rejected a guy from Sector3, but hired a guy from Turn 10?! ...hmm
wouldn't surprise me if someone from Evolution has been stranded at PD now or during last years layoffs as well. Nothing against Forza's and Driveclub's sound, but I'd hoped that PD would want to up the ante here.

Yeh the RaceRoom's sound is something else. Forza's sound is nothing to be sniffed at but you'd hope that with all the waiting they would want to go one better and set a new standard.

Who are we kidding though... We all know deep down the sound will be shit again.

Zaptruder

Banned
Yeh the RaceRoom's sound is something else. Forza's sound is nothing to be sniffed at but you'd hope that with all the waiting they would want to go one better and set a new standard.

Who are we kidding though... We all know deep down the sound will be shit again.

There's no doubt. Someone making decisions at PD has no ear for sound. Basically someone high enough up the decision making chain is incompetent at their job, and no one is really telling them otherwise.

Mascot

If GTS audio turns out to be vacuum-cleaner samples after all this then seriously - PD should be laughed off the planet.

offshore

We all know deep down the sound will be shit again.
Am I naive in believing that they'll actually be genuine improvement in GTS? PD can't be hiring these people and not fail to beat their own bar. Granted, the bar isn't very high - in fact I think the bar is still on the floor - but still...

paskowitz

Hopefully they realize that accurate sound samples =/= accurate sound in game. We have all seen the videos of PD recording sound samples. Yet somehow when it processed by the game it comes out like a spatially accurate vacuum cleaner.

synce

Hopefully they realize that accurate sound samples =/= accurate sound in game. We have all seen the videos of PD recording sound samples. Yet somehow when it processed by the game it comes out like a spatially accurate vacuum cleaner.

I imagine that's due to speaker setups. PD should compensate for that by exaggerating the sounds but I guess they'd rather not.

Am I naive in believing that they'll actually be genuine improvement in GTS? PD can't be hiring these people and not fail to beat their own bar. Granted, the bar isn't very high - in fact I think the bar is still on the floor - but still...

At the very least it's very encouraging that the first Pitstop posts were of Kaz acknowledging the glaring issue with the sound design in the game before going on to invite people to apply for a job to fix the problem. We know that they've hired people to work on it. So only time will tell how that all turns out.

Sayad

Probably the most interesting take away there is that PD are seemingly hiring sound designers for each of their new locations. We know Mike is based in their LA studio and that Alexander guy is in Europe.
In before cars made in the Japanese studio keep the vacuum cleaner sound. :\

Double H

http://www.nuerburgring.de/uploads/media/16-04-12_Q24h_Teilnehmerliste_01.pdf said:
Code:
101  | Walkenhorst Motorsport powered by Dunlop   | SP 9 (FIA-GT3)   | BMW M6 GT3
     | Matias Henkola          | Finnland         |                  |
     [b]| Kazunori Yamauchi       | Japan            |                  |[/b]
     | George Richardson       | Großbritannien   |                  |
     | Max Sandritter          | Raubling         |                  |
Guess who features in this year's 24hr Nurburgring Qualifier entry list? The actual 24hr race isn't until late May so it'll be interesting to see how this pans out after Kaz was linked to drive an Aston Martin Vantage GT12 in 2015, but a last minute change meant he didn't participate.

June is looking pretty promising for some GT Sport news:
Code:
14–16   | e3 2016
21–23   | 2016 FIA Sport Conference
        | The FIA PD partnership was announced at the 2014 event
23–26   | Goodwood Festival of Speed
        | [URL="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/news/bmw-to-take-centre-stage-at-goodwood"]BMW is the featured marque[/URL], GT a main sponsor
26      | Pikes Peak International Hill Climb
        | [URL="http://www.ppihc.com/2016-100th-anniversary-ppihc-sponsors/"]100 Year Anniversary and GT is the platinum sponsor[/URL]

Code:
14–16   | e3 2016
        | [URL="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/news/bmw-to-take-centre-stage-at-goodwood"]BMW is the featured marque[/URL], GT a main sponsor
        | [URL="http://www.ppihc.com/2016-100th-anniversary-ppihc-sponsors/"]100 Year Anniversary and GT is the platinum sponsor[/URL]

lldnzt8.gif

We'll get another crap trailer at E3 followed by a beta announcement at the German or Paris game show.

Shaneus

Code:
14–16   | e3 2016
GT will have a platinum? ;)

Loris146

Maybe it's a "not news" but here in Italy Gamestop and other retailers started to take preorder for Gt Sports and Horizon Zero Dawn.

box3.jpg

Top Bottom