• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport announced

eso76

Maybe it's a "not news" but here in Italy Gamestop and other retailers started to take preorder for Gt Sports and Horizon Zero Dawn.

box3.jpg

Amazon too, listing it for December.

GHG

Polyphony didn't laser scan the TT course :(

Big Ben and Isle of Man government did for the official TT Isle of Man - Ride on the Edge game.

Well it doesn't stop then making a track inspired by the TT course.

Although I have a feeling it will take them about 20 years to design and make their own 37 mile course...

JamboGT

The quote from the press release is this:

Bigben Interactive and Kylotonn have already begun a programme to assess, record and digitally map the iconic 37¾ mile TT Mountain Course, which is run entirely on closed public roads. The TT Races is widely recognised as one of the world’s leading motorsport events and has run on the Isle of Man since 1907.

So it may have been them however I don;t think this deal has been in the works from 2014.

Either way, I can't bloody wait! The TT and Road Racing is what I grew up with used to go to all the National Road Races so I am properly excited.

The quote from the press release is this:

So it may have been them however I don;t think this deal has been in the works from 2014.

Either way, I can't bloody wait! The TT and Road Racing is what I grew up with used to go to all the National Road Races so I am properly excited.

Where is that press release saying it's exclusive though?

super.modulaire

Neo Member

There are some comments about exclusivity in this Press Release. Maybe a mistake?

Bigben Interactive and the Isle of Man Government Department of Economic Development, the commercial rights holders of the Isle of Man TT Races, has reached an agreement to exclusively produce, under global licence, TT Isle Of Man - Ride on the Edge.
http://www.euroinvestor.com/news/20...-new-isle-of-man-tt-races-video-game/13349360

JamboGT

Exclusively producing a TT game and having exclusive use of a track is a very different thing. Not saying the course will be in GT of course.

Exclusively producing a TT game and having exclusive use of a track is a very different thing. Not saying the course will be in GT of course.

This, they are exclusively making the official TT game, but hopefully the track will still be used in other games too.

Just some info on GT would be handy, I hate radio silence!

I'm out of the loop, my fault for not subscibing to this I suppose.

Do we know exactly what GT Sport is yet? If it's priced like a fully featured GT game is that what players will get?

Mascot

Do we know exactly what GT Sport is yet? If it's priced like a fully featured GT game is that what players will get?

Nobody knows fuck-all, PD are officially denying any association with Gran Turismo, Kaz says he's never even sat in a car, Sony won't confirm existence of the PS4, Donald Trump says the game is out now, Jimmy Savile's ghost says Woooo.

I think that about sums it up.

magawolaz

I remember a screenshot coming from a private conversation with Facebook pr guy saying it won't be full price, not sure if it was legit though.

PS4 has been weird for me.

Every last Sony console I just couldn't wait for the latest gran Turismo

This time, I don't even really care?

Gran Turismo 6 was so terrible, and with project cars being great and assetto corsa on the horizon I haven't felt a void of sim racing

I really hope this is a reboot of sorts that reignites my passion for gt

Less cars, premium models only, tight and focused. It's a game not a digital car museum, cut the fat and focus on the important stuff

I know at the least the graphics will be impressive

PS4 has been weird for me.

Every last Sony console I just couldn't wait for the latest gran Turismo

This time, I don't even really care?

Gran Turismo 6 was so terrible, and with project cars being great and assetto corsa on the horizon I haven't felt a void of sim racing

I really hope this is a reboot of sorts that reignites my passion for gt

Less cars, premium models only, tight and focused. It's a game not a digital car museum, cut the fat and focus on the important stuff

I know at the least the graphics will be impressive

Agreed. Dump all the legacy cars.

GHG

The very great pile of shit itself, you mean? Come on, we all know how "well made" it is. Version 10.0, lol.

Oh look another Project Cars hater.

giphy.gif

How many times does it have to be explained that the game clearly isn't "shit"? The great irony is that you are talking about version numbers in a GT thread.

DD

Oh look another Project Cars hater.

giphy.gif

How many times does it have to be explained that the game clearly isn't "shit"? The great irony is that you are talking about version numbers in a GT thread.

Is it well optimized? - No.
Is it well designed? - No.
Is it balanced? - No
Does it play well with a pad? - No, unless you spend hours til you find something that isn't so bad, and yet you'll still have to tweak it afterwards.
Does it have tons of bugs? - Yes.

I still play Project Cars, and when for a miracle the gigantic number of problems it has don't get in your way (which is very, very rare), yes, it feels great. But racing is my favorite genre, and I know when when a game deserves my respect and when it doesn't. I've played betas that felt much more like a finished product than Project Cars.

Jamesways

Is it balanced? - No
Does it play well with a pad? - No, unless you spend hours til you find something that isn't so bad, and yet you'll still have to tweak it afterwards.

I still play Project Cars, and when for a miracle the gigantic number of problems it has don't get in your way (which is very, very rare), yes, it feels great. But racing is my favorite genre, and I know when when a game deserves my respect and when it doesn't. I've played betas that felt much more like a finished product than Project Cars.

DD, I like your style, and your posts. You're a regular in the racing game threads that contributes some good stuff, and I respect your opinions.

The funny thing is despite all those things, which I can't really debate, it's still my favorite next gen circuit racing experience. But boy, you're right, it's rough around the edges. As frustrating as it is sometimes, when things work, it truly shines. It still gives me a better motorsport experience than I've played in the past. I can't wait for pCARS 2.

I'm still holding out hope that GT will be great when it finally does arrive, although I haven't been following much of the tidbits of news. I

Is it going to be a ps4.5 game? Will we need to upgrade consoles to get the most out of it? Are regular ps4 games compatible with the 4.5 aka will we need 2 damn consoles to play racing games this gen?

DD

DD, I like your style, and your posts. You're a regular in the racing game threads that contributes some good stuff, and I respect your opinions.

The funny thing is despite all those things, which I can't really debate, it's still my favorite next gen circuit racing experience. But boy, you're right, it's rough around the edges. As frustrating as it is sometimes, when things work, it truly shines. It still gives me a better motorsport experience than I've played in the past. I can't wait for pCARS 2.

I'm still holding out hope that GT will be great when it finally does arrive, although I haven't been following much of the tidbits of news. I

Is it going to be a ps4.5 game? Will we need to upgrade consoles to get the most out of it? Are regular ps4 games compatible with the 4.5 aka will we need 2 damn consoles to play racing games this gen?
What annoys me is that it really had the potential to be an amazing game, but it is so problematic that it's frustrating. Every damn time I boot the game I have to deal with some kind of shit. It feels like it is still in alpha state.

EDIT: and some things are really bizarre. For example, the AI strugles if you try to race with LMP1s in Monaco. So this is something they should avoid. And what SMS decides to do? A LMP1 race in Monaco, of course! I mean, it's not even realistic! It's not a race that exists in real live, so nobody would notice its absence, nobody would care. So why do they chose to have a race where I'll need to restart a few times until the AI decide not to clog the track? Thousands of people testing the game and yet something incomprehensible like this have a go. >.>

Jamesways

What annoys me is that it really had the potential to be an amazing game, but it is so problematic that it's frustrating. Every damn time I boot the game I have to deal with some kind of shit. It feels like it is still in alpha state.

I'm really hoping they hammer out the issues deep in the coding for pCARS2. From backer's posts thought, sounds like they might be.

Edit- Ha! Yeah, LMP1 have no business on that. Reminds me of the R1 races on Positano. tight Cobblestone turns in Prototypes. Just silly.

Is it balanced? - No

As a backer for PCars..going to have to agree. Such a shame considering some of the guys on the team made GTR2..arguably the best motorsport sim ever.

Assetto Corsa is the real deal though.

psn

+1

Backer since the first hour of PCars.

Assetto Corsa is better in every aspect except for the graphics imo. What I love about AC is the mod support. Not many games allow that today.

PCars is still a good game on PC, don't know how it is on PS4.

Mascot

+1

Assetto Corsa is better in every aspect except for the graphics imo. What I love about AC is the mod support. Not many games allow that today.

SMS are actively assisting modders now.

paskowitz

Is it balanced? - No

I agree. The biggest problem is that pCARS is undeniably inconsistent in almost all respects. Also, the first couple months after the game released it was unequivocally awful. Considering the development time and community testing... that doesn't get forgotten after patch 10. For me the biggest draw back is that there is a clear rift between the handling of race cars (IMO they are great) and road cars (they are awful). Bringing the conversation back to GT, I do feel that this is something GT does pretty well. There is a consistency (maybe at the expense of accuracy) in the way GT games drive.

I agree. The biggest problem is that pCARS is undeniably inconsistent in almost all respects. Also, the first couple months after the game released it unequivocally awful. Considering the development time and community testing... that gets forgotten after patch 10. For me the biggest draw back is that there is a clear rift between the handling of race cars (IMO they are great) and road cars (they are awful). Bringing the conversation back to GT, I do feel that this is something GT does pretty well. There is a consistency (maybe at the expense of accuracy) in the way GT games drive.

Was a PCARS backer since the start. The game has been quite a disappointment for me. Just the fact that by version 10 they still can't do decent joypad controls (and never managed in two Shift games) makes me think PCARS2 will be the same. It's such a fundamental thing for a console game.

DD

I'm really hoping they hammer out the issues deep in the coding for pCARS2. From backer's posts thought, sounds like they might be.

Edit- Ha! Yeah, LMP1 have no business on that. Reminds me of the R1 races on Positano. tight Cobblestone turns in Prototypes. Just silly.
I agree. The biggest problem is that pCARS is undeniably inconsistent in almost all respects. Also, the first couple months after the game released it was unequivocally awful. Considering the development time and community testing... that doesn't get forgotten after patch 10. For me the biggest draw back is that there is a clear rift between the handling of race cars (IMO they are great) and road cars (they are awful). Bringing the conversation back to GT, I do feel that this is something GT does pretty well. There is a consistency (maybe at the expense of accuracy) in the way GT games drive.

After NFS Shift 1, 2, Test Drive Ferrari and now Project Cars, I decided that I'll only pick PCars 2 if people start screaming "OH MY GOD, IT'S SO FRIGGIN PERFECT!!!1"

+1

As a backer for PCars..going to have to agree. Such a shame considering some of the guys on the team made GTR2..arguably the best motorsport sim ever.

Assetto Corsa is the real deal though.

GTR2 was indeed amazing.

About Assetto Corsa, I'm curious about it. Does it have nice content, especially tracks? How's the AI? Does it have a career mode? Does it play nice with a pad?

Megalo

About assetto: it has some really nice and accurate tracks (like laser-scanned nordschleife, francorchamps, mugello, zandvoort,...) but do not expect the variety of a gran turismo or a pCars, you will play mostly on real racing tracks and nothing else. after all they are a small team compared to polyphony and others.
Still, the content is great and comes at a good pace.
I play only with a xbox pad and imo the support is awesome. I've no problem being fast and precise.
The AI is ok-tier. It does the job but do not expect something incredible.

If you want the most realistic simulation out there and just drive for the sheer pleasure of driving, absolutely go for it. The feel of the many cars is awesome !
As a game tho it's kinda rough, career mode is barebone. It depends on what you are looking for.
Sorry for the off-topic btw :p

DD

About assetto: it has some really nice and accurate tracks (like laser-scanned nordschleife, francorchamps, mugello, zandvoort,...) but do not expect the variety of a gran turismo or a pCars, you will play mostly on real racing tracks and nothing else. after all they are a small team compared to polyphony and others.
I play only with a xbox pad and imo the support is awesome. I've no problem being fast and precise.

If you want the most realistic simulation out there and just drive for the sheer pleasure of driving, absolutely go for it. The feel of the many cars is awesome !
As a game tho it's kinda rough, career mode is barebone. It depends on what you are looking for.
Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it.

And I think that there's no problem in talking about similar products, since we have nothing more to discuss about GT Sport at the moment. =/

But if there's a problem, I'm sorry. ;(

Assetto Corsa is definitely the one sim I want most on the PC side. Just waiting for a nice price.

I'm a casual fan so the online-only or online-mostly offerings on PC don't really appeal to me, like Rfactor or others.

Polish is really important to me in these types of games because of that. If I can't enjoy a light experience within the simulation it's pretty much useless for me.

I think that's why Gran Turismo has such strong appeal. Even though it is a sim, and even maybe "not as good a sim as other games", it has a ton of value for just being so accessible compared to many other games.

For me and I bet a lot of other players accessibility into a sim experience is super important, just my 2 cents.

paskowitz

Uh... um... have you seen the mods of Assetto Corsa? Including mods I have roughly 150 cars and 100 tracks. Granted, not every one of those mods is of the highest quality but I would say the majority are (Any track done by Tiago Limo, 787B, Miata, Egg 1:One, various F1 cars, etc).

I do like pCARS's content mix. It is a little light on road cars but otherwise has a nice balance. The DLC has also been good (price and content wise).

This is one area GT really needs to step up. DLC for GT6 was terrible (we have the huge content plan... there will be DLC every month... :|... we all know how that turned out). IMO this left many just as sour as with the overall state of the game.

Is it balanced? - No

Instead of whining about it, you should hunker down some change so you can contribute to the Project Cars 2 alpha.

Assetto Corsa is definitely the one sim I want most on the PC side. Just waiting for a nice price.

I'm a casual fan so the online-only or online-mostly offerings on PC don't really appeal to me, like Rfactor or others.

Polish is really important to me in these types of games because of that. If I can't enjoy a light experience within the simulation it's pretty much useless for me.

I think that's why Gran Turismo has such strong appeal. Even though it is a sim, and even maybe "not as good a sim as other games", it has a ton of value for just being so accessible compared to many other games.

For me and I bet a lot of other players accessibility into a sim experience is super important, just my 2 cents.

rFactor 2 can be played offline and without a subscription. Outside of iRacing there aren't many games that require a constant connection (RaceRoom needs to verify your bought content for example, but can be played running just on your computer against AI). Pretty much all of them lack in presentation-polish compared to console games though.

When racing sim guys rant about the gamification of their glorified sims, I can only shake my head. What's weirding me out a little is that something inside me is bothered by someone mentioning Gran Turismo in the same paragraph as rFactor and Assetto Corsa and file them all as "sim experiences" (at least a little, enough so that I can feel it). Guess that calls for some self-reflection. *staring* *blinking*
I love Forza and GT, both are definitely simulating a driving experience and they are great and fun games... why........ weird...

Megalo

Paskowitz: oh yeah i forgot to talk about the mods ! I was talking only about the vanilla content. The modding community is totally awesome and I agree that there is a huge amount of quality tracks and cars. That is a big plus for AC :)

TJP

Uh... um... have you seen the mods of Assetto Corsa? Including mods I have roughly 150 cars and 100 tracks. Granted, not every one of those mods is of the highest quality but I would say the majority are (Any track done by Tiago Limo, 787B, Miata, Egg 1:One, various F1 cars, etc).
Assetto Corsa is the new rFactor - it has all the tasty mods that most PC sim racers want. I see 81 cars and 208 tracks and 3,016 liveries on RD. Just like rFactor the range of mods varies from sublime (anyone care for a laser scanned Tor Poznań) to utter tripe. Thankfully Race Department has this covered too with a ranking system and download number.

Modding may be one aspect the console user base misses out on which is unfortunate but understandable given the locked down nature of consoles.

I was all set to buy a PS4 however talk of a newer, up spec'd PSl and a lack of concrete information about GT and the future of DriveClub has caused me to cool my enthusiasm.

GHG

With consoles going iterative I don't think Kaz will ever get his shit together and actually release anything. He's always going to be saying he needs more hardware power and will keep delaying the game for the next console iteration.

Dead Man

With consoles going iterative I don't think Kaz will ever get his shit together and actually release anything. He's always going to be saying he needs more hardware power and will keep delaying the game for the next console iteration.

LOL, all too believable.

Did Kaz do qualifying for Nur24?

GTP says the GTSport decals on the BMW car were removed.

Here's the teams Facebook

13043734_1000703036680nsg8.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/walkenhorstmotorsport

They're continually posting pictures of qualifying sessions. As far as I know there's never been game specific decals on cars for the 24h races. By that I mean, they've never had something like "Gran Turismo 5" or "Gran Turismo 6" decals. It's always just a GT logo across the windshield.

Top Bottom