• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport announced

Fournier

Any chance this launches this year?

I'm hoping for it, since it's supposed to be a "focused" Sport stuff for GT game... with online stuff.

I hope they say at E3 it comes this year.

Maybe it means nothing but in Italy many retailers started pre-orders for GT Sport and Horizon.
I think Sony gave greenlight for pre-orders, so we can still hope.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Not to mention Project Cars was released in a timely manner on PS4! Of course the retail version (which is up to version 10.00) still feels like an Alpha for an upcoming game, one that could have done with a lot more development time.

Maybe more development time is a good thing if it means a good and polished product at the end of it.

DIRT Rally is polished. Forza 6 is polished. Gran Turismo 5 was not polished.

AMG

Neo Member
A Prologue with 20-30 cars and 10 tracks would be a great thing to release now so we have something to tide us over.

I think the next GT will be the make or break for the series' future.
Not referring to sales necessarily here, but it will highlight how much PD can innovate because I believe the PS3 games were still pretty much left in the past.

FootballFan

In my estimation this is a case of where the game was definitely on track in regards of development but Sony wants to make VR as successful as possible. And the sure way to get people on board is to give early adopters critically acclaimed software titles to purchase at or around the launch window of PSVR. Gran Turismo can be that title for Sony, the title pushes adoption rates up quickly.

A demo or a Prologue title to bide over the hardcore fans would be great but who knows where this road leads. I just want Gran Turismo back on the PS console, it has been too long indeed. GT6 should have been remastered for the PS4 anyway but maybe they did not want to put their premier franchise on the brand new console and it not looking better than the competing racers on the PS4.

FootballFan

I think the next GT will be the make or break for the series' future.
Not referring to sales necessarily here, but it will highlight how much PD can innovate because I believe the PS3 games were still pretty much left in the past.

Would you mind expanding on this? Just curious to hear you opinion, as I also have felt that GT5 and GT6 lacked in certain areas, but excelled in the more important bits(important to me).

Yiazmat

Some of the tracks in GT5 and GT6 looked quite good to be honest. I still expect more than 20 tracks at launch. Polyphony will not be denied :p

GTS is not GT7. It's more like a prologue.

That official facebook account already said it will have a reduced number of cars and tracks.

I wouldn't expect more than 100 cars and 10 tracks as well.

FootballFan

GTS is not GT7. It's more like a prologue.

That official facebook account already said it will have a reduced number of cars and tracks.

I wouldn't expect more than 100 cars and 10 tracks as well.

I was not aware, I believed that they just wanted to re-brand it to SPORT. Disappointing if that turns out to be the case. ShamePain may indeed be correct.

Would you mind expanding on this? Just curious to hear you opinion, as I also have felt that GT5 and GT6 lacked in certain areas, but excelled in the more important bits(important to me).

I played both Forza and GT somewhat at the same time during last gen.
GT had an older look due to the elevator music, standard cars and PDs lack of will to address some of the most requested features like damage while focusing on others the community wasn't too thrilled about, like B-spec.
T10 is not a much better example, look at the Nissan Silvia case, but at least their products felt more modern.

I know Forza games can be smaller in content than GT ones, but it's still impressive that while PD released 5 and 6, Forza went from 2 to 6 and oversaw Horizon 1&2. Will probably get 3 out before GT Sport, but it's yet to be concerned.
Maybe M$ focuses on launching the product more than shipping something that appeal's to a certain individual within the studio's personal level of perfection.

Oh yeah...engine sounds in GT5 were also a blast from the past and multiplayer customization...let's not even get there.

LE: Liveries! It's not something crucial to the driving experience, but I know the community wanted those in GT too.

I thought GT5 was brilliant, it looked absolutely amazing and I really enjoyed the driving model. The things I disliked were the audio (which was laughable), the alpha channel effects (tyre smoke looking so blocky), and the SP progression structure, which felt a lot less crafted (and far more of an afterthought) than previous iterations.

driver116

I played both Forza and GT somewhat at the same time during last gen.
GT had an older look due to the elevator music, standard cars and PDs lack of will to address some of the most requested features like damage while focusing on others the community wasn't too thrilled about, like B-spec.
T10 is not a much better example, look at the Nissan Silvia case, but at least their products felt more modern.

I know Forza games can be smaller in content than GT ones, but it's still impressive that while PD released 5 and 6, Forza went from 2 to 6 and oversaw Horizon 1&2. Will probably get 3 out before GT Sport, but it's yet to be concerned.
Maybe M$ focuses on launching the product more than shipping something that appeal's to a certain individual within the studio's personal level of perfection.

Oh yeah...engine sounds in GT5 were also a blast from the past and multiplayer customization...let's not even get there.

LE: Liveries! It's not something crucial to the driving experience, but I know the community wanted those in GT too.

Fixed chase cam and no livery editor was just awful for a 2010 game. I don't think GT6 has them either. Even DC had a limited livery editor.

AND they released a patch which made all races have rolling starts.

But then things like the photo mode being fully fledged - bizarre priority.

Fixed chase cam and no livery editor was just awful for a 2010 game. I don't think GT6 has them either. Even DC had a limited livery editor.

AND they released a patch which made all races have rolling starts.

But then things like the photo mode being fully fledged - bizarre priority.

Oh yeah! The fixed camera angle sucked! I forgot about that one. Why spend so much time with the premium car model if you won't let us see it during the race?

spwolf

I thought GT5 was brilliant, it looked absolutely amazing and I really enjoyed the driving model. The things I disliked were the audio (which was laughable), the alpha channel effects (tyre smoke looking so blocky), and the SP progression structure, which felt a lot less crafted (and far more of an afterthought) than previous iterations.

yep. It had its issues but it was brilliant.

driver116

They shouldn't have bothered with paint tokens, and unlocking horns etc. Just more resources wasted which could have been spent elsewhere.

DonMigs85

It would be a tremendous insult IMO if the PS4.5 actually comes out before this game, and it looking or running better on the newer hardware just rubs salt into the wound. I mean, if you're gonna release a mid-gen upgrade make sure your development cycles don't take eons.

Something GT5 had (unsure if it made it to GT6) was stereoscopic 3D, When you activated that, put the car in cockpit mode and with weather the game was on another level.

DonMigs85

Something GT5 had (unsure if it made it to GT6) was stereoscopic 3D, When you activated that, put the car in cockpit mode and with weather the game was on another level.
Yeah can't remember if GT6 had it, but Sony had this phase from 2010 to 2012 where they forced 3D into most of their games.

JamboGT

I don't mind a long development cycle generally, the one thing you can be sure of with PD is that they will support the game for a long time with updates which helps when there is a long gap between releases. GT5 was being updated till after 6 came out and 6 is still getting updates now.

It is more of an issue now though with no GT on PS4, really looking forward to hearing more and hopefully seeing the game at least by E3.

GT5 had lots of new features compare to GT4. Dynamic weather, day/night cycle, Nascar, WRC (rally was in the past games, but I don't think it was licensed), Top Gear, Karting, Course Maker and other things like damage, cockpit and ...
It was one of the most complete racing games of all time, but sadly PD can't use potential in its games. for example they got Top Gear license, but there were only 3 races in that track and nothing else. WRC and Nascar too. or Yamauchi had amazing plans with Vision GT project, but we still don't have all of 20,30 cars after 2.5 years!
I really hope that they use all of potential in GTS this time...

Mascot

I've no idea how Kaz ever earned this 'perfectionist' moniker. He's the world's worst perfectionist. I think people just lazily equate huge delays with "not releasing it until it's perfect", which we all know is so far from the truth it's a joke. Don't get me wrong, there's an awful lot I like about the GT series, but if Kaz is a perfectionist then he must lie awake at night feeling like a total failure.

driver116

Kaz just doesn't know when to stop. Maybe they actually have to strap him down and sedate him before the games go gold

Sony needs to take a firm look at restructuring PD - especially considering they have been so firm handed with their other studios SSM, Evolution etc. I think they need someone else at the top of the studio, with Kaz been some sort of consultant. At least he can focus on the competitive side of the games. Seems like he a lot of weight on his shoulders been CEO.

JamboGT

Is Kaz not also vice president of SCE? This may have changed with the restructuring, I have no idea. I think PD is one of the more intimately connected studios withing the company.

Just found out Forza has the McLaren MP4/4

giphy.gif

Says it all about the clowns at Polyphony, GT with a dedicated Senna mode gets a poxy 1988 race suit, Forza gets the goods.

There's just no hope for GT Sport, Polyphony should have been downsized and GT handed over to Evolution Studios.

JamboGT

Personally I found the 97T and the WSR F3 cars to be great. Licenses are annoying, I know that from personal experience.

Avtomat

So I think GT6 was one of the better racing games last year weather or not it topped Forza 4 is up to one's opinion. But for me the weather and time of day changes made it a stronger proposition.

After saying all that I can't help but feel Sony has issues with controlling PD. PD has had this no communication and delays issue since time immemorial. Just seems like poor management.

spwolf

Probably Naughty Dog at this point in terms of software sales and pushing hardware.

Saying that GT6 has sold 5 million copies. But I still think UC3+TLoU+TLoU:R+UCC have accrued more revenue and pushed more hardware.

I know it does not fit your narrative, but GT is likely historically the biggest Sony's first party contributor worldwide.

So if you think they need to have bigger control over their best studio, then think again. Reason Evolution and others were closed is that they were unsuccessful.

And reason Polyphony can do what they want to do is that they are very successful. Very simple.

Revisionist history does not help - GT5 and GT6 had tons of features, more so than any other game in the genre and customers appreciated that and that made them success.

I will very curious to see what happens to PD and their freedom if GTS doesn't do gangbusters.

PD have coasting on that ps2 goodwill for too long. Another GT5 sized mesd and the hammer needs to drop.

Top Bottom