• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Beta Thread

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
It feels like there was a slight lighting change similar to BrandsHatch. But no tire marks on this track or the cool rock pebble sounds/fx
But yeah way more people.

flWbyHy.png

XUXFiQI.png

Wow, I need to boot up the beta this weekend. Looks awesome.

farisr

It really wasn't that bad unless you were watching it on YouTube. No one complained untill that awful DF video.
Nah, people were calling it rough before the DF video. Very easily the worst looking track of the game so far and needs the most work. The lighting, car models, road textures and some non-natural elements like the buildings and what not looked fine.

But a few of the natural elements looked like they were ripped straight out of GT4 but rendered in HD. So I understand the ps2 comparisons that were going on. The hyperbole came when people were calling the whole thing as looking like a ps2 game rather than certain elements on the track.

For reference: Gran Turismo 4 in HD - https://youtu.be/HbNi-C6SrLo?t=197

Qronicle

So I just had two races at the Nurburgring, and I quickly noticed something was off.
Sometimes when accelerating out of corners, it would suddenly cut off the throttle. Other times it doesn't always register my steering input. Sometimes it kicks in just too late for corner entry, sometimes it just kicks in during a corner. Note that these are problems just last like only a tenth of a second, but that's way more than enough to force you into mistakes or lose loads of time after corners.

In qualification mode, I have no issues. And I checked whether all my assists were turned off before the second race, and they were...

Anybody else have these issues? I'm uploading a video as evidence, but that might take a while :)

Edit: I'm using a controller btw

So I just had two races at the Nurburgring, and I quickly noticed something was off.
Sometimes when accelerating out of corners, it would suddenly cut off the throttle. Other times it doesn't always register my steering input. Sometimes it kicks in just too late for corner entry, sometimes it just kicks in during a corner. Note that these are problems just last like only a tenth of a second, but that's way more than enough to force you into mistakes or lose loads of time after corners.

In qualification mode, I have no issues. And I checked whether all my assists were turned off before the second race, and they were...

Anybody else have these issues? I'm uploading a video as evidence, but that might take a while :)

Several people at GTP reported the same issue. The G29 is also having FFB issues after the update.

Dave_6

Yep, had those same issues last night and only in races. Never happens in any of the time trials. Controller here too.

Qronicle

Here's the video anyway, it highlights some other small issues as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIHsWt57WgA

0:17 - Car exterior flickering like crazy, the Audi has this a lot when the game is loading. Sometimes I get the feeling something is wrong with the tessellation and some normals getting ffed up.
2:54 - The game telling me I'm starting in 12th, although I'm in fifth
3:00 - Just turn self shadowing off -_-
4:48, 5:18, 6:39, ... - The game clearly goes off throttle while indicating I'm firmly on the gas
Steering input issues are hard to really spot, but they were certainly there

Loris146

Report the issue in the apposite forum too. PD staff is reading there.

Pachimari

So I've had access to the beta for a while but haven't really played much of it. How long is the beta running for? I need a setup for my wheel and pedals before I sit down with it.

Gestault

*Shit* is definitely overstating it (it's maybe not the most flattering footage). The bumper reflections and new pass of grass are looking good. There's some weirdness to iron out with the player-car shadow resolution. Some trees seem to ignore lighting, but on another high note, I'm seeing less stutter coming into turns, which came up in some of the 1.05 footage.

The stretch starting from like 3:30 shows nicely, and that's a fun bit of the track.

schaft0620

*Shit* is definitely overstating it (it's maybe not the most flattering footage). The bumper reflections and new pass of grass are looking good. There's some weirdness to iron out with the player-car shadow resolution. A lot of trees seem to ignore lighting, for example. On another good note though, I'm seeing less stutter coming into turns, which came up in some of the 1.05 footage.

The black plate on the back looks like it was cropped in via MS Paint and the Subaru logo looks like it was cropped out a PS2 and the car is as glossy as a bowling alley.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
*Shit* is definitely overstating it (it's maybe not the most flattering footage). The bumper reflections and new pass of grass are looking good. There's some weirdness to iron out with the player-car shadow resolution. Some trees seem to ignore lighting, but on another high note, I'm seeing less stutter coming into turns, which came up in some of the 1.05 footage.

The stretch starting from like 3:30 shows nicely, and that's a fun bit of the track.

I don't know why you even bother Gestault, they're clearly shitposting.

The black plate on the back looks like it was cropped in via MS Paint and the Subaru logo looks like it was cropped out a PS2 and the car is as glossy as a bowling alley.

See? None of these criticisms make even the slightest bit of sense.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
SMGDMFH

The pop-in on the trees is just egregious

This game looks so disappointing, visually
Are you on patch 1.06? Improved it quite a bit.

Edit: actually are you on a regular PS4? I'm wondering if Pro is improving those issues further than PS4.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Looks like i'm getting the bonus edition from Tesco.

GT Sport: Bonus edition, and give yourself a head-start on the track with a starting bonus of $250,000 of in-game credits, exclusive livery stickers to help you stand out on the track, a ltd. Edition in-game Chrome racing helmet and 60 unique PS4 avatars to show the world who you're driving for.

I think Dragon Side (the track everyone complains about how it looks) received some love with 1.06. Someone will need to do a before/after but at first sight it looks better.

Considering the forums are filled with a bunch of text I can only vaguely comprehend, I'm going to assume this means the JP beta has started. Thankfully google translate seems to have automotive terminology and gaming slag down pretty good these days. The last step after this would be combining all the global servers, but if it follows their current trends that'll be the next version update. Should get an info dump at E3 with any luck, at least.

I think this beta is coming to an end soon. Perhaps before E3 where the release date will be announced.

Who has access to the beta forums? Maybe we should compile a list of bugs and possible fixes and someone could submit it on behalf of all those that have played?

Who has access to the beta forums? Maybe we should compile a list of bugs and possible fixes and someone could submit it on behalf of all those that have played?
Anyone in the beta has access to the beta forums and bug reporting, and I'd probably refrain from posting details of that system on GAF. The beta gameplay proper may have sharing features enabled but everything else is internal and proprietary.

At this point just about everything you could probably think of has been reported at one time or another, and the only things other than cosmetic graphical hiccups there aren't any major issues that come up less there's been a version update. The vast majority of bug reports are duplicates or in the "suggestion" category. And, yes, the stuff does seem to get forwarded to the devs as is evidenced by things suggested and upvoted in the past appearing in future patches.

Still, there's no harm in posting things you think might be amiss, so I encourage anyone playing to report there and read though other recent submissions. It's easier to report on PC versus entering text on the PS4, so head over to https://ear.playstation.com ...If you don't have beta access you cannot access that system which is why I don't see an issue posting the link to encourage use. I'm not sure if the beta is going to end until close to launch. Yes, there's a point where the thing has to go gold, but as this has gone on for 2+ months the game has improved dramatically in every qualitative way. Good things have come of it and the feedback is getting through. To be blunt, in its original form this would have been a disaster to take to retail. Good fundamentals that you'd expect from the series, but zero personality at first. Comparison videos between versions make this extremely evident.

Double H

Actually, I take it back; I'm having a ton of fun playing with a controller, even with 200+ ping.
Similar ping here but found I needed to drive with too much caution to avoid ruining others’ races. Decided to skip the Gr. 3/Northern Isle event, not worth risking my SR.

I won 3/4 races and 1 on 1 out front was manageable with poor latency, but hate to find myself in a pack, doubt I’d make it out unscathed.

It's not a very flattering comparison :(

If you turn up the volume for GT and turn down for PC, then the other differences become more apparent: too many god rays for PC, the car bounces around too much and the steering wheel is moving unrealistically. But in GT things look precise.

Top Bottom