• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport demo coming Oct. 9

A couple thoughts...

Although I've enjoyed my time with the demo, I've also realized that this new direction for GT is going to require more time investment, and require it consistently, in order to be at all competitive online. I'm not sure my life has room for that much dedication to one game. I can see myself giving into the hype, playing it heavily for a month, then get distracted by real life and by other games and dropping it. In the old days of GT I could screw around with upgrading cars and play races without worrying about comparing my performance to other people.

Driveclub feels like a game that understood that tension between a desire to get better at a game and rewarding you for simply playing it. You can invest a ton of time into the game and be competitive, but if like me you want to just load it up once in a while, it will still reward you with the feel of driving insanely fast and you will do so in environments that are a real (and often breathtaking) joy to look at, even if you end up not winning many races.

There's a difference of focus between these two games -- one on the feel and the emotions of driving, and the other strictly on the competitive aspect of striving for perfection -- that makes them hard to compare directly, and they really shouldn't be. They each have things they do better than the other.

But even though I want to go whole hog with the competitive aspect, I don't know if that's an honest expectation. I'm guessing that this is the case for many people thinking about picking this up. And if I'm not, am I okay with being in the middle of the pack in every race? Is that worth $60, to never feel like I'm winning? I know this is a more philosophical question, but the stark online focus of the game has me asking it.

The1Ski

Have they said how many daily events for sport mode will be in the final game?

I need more of these, the SR thing makes it work for me. I don't like having to wait so long in between races.

Not sure if it's just for the demo or what but only 3 races a day is waaaaaaaay too few. I thought after participating in all 3 events new ones would populate.

But oh man if the final release has many options with a wide variety of types I'm completely sold on the concept.

I seriously enjoyed the warm up then entry then qualify then race then repeat setup. Throw in more options and variety and I'm in

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I think I like the image quality better forcing 1080p quality mode on my Pro, even though I have a 4k tv. It could just be me thinking it looks better, but god dammit, it looks better to me. Cleaner and I can't see any jaggies.

Certified Genius
Matched Ayrton Senna's record of 65 pole positions

Oops.

They could update this before the game launches.

Maybe I'm missing what the problem is, but that was Senna's record and I think the wording is fine. Schumacher already beat that so it's not like Hamilton's new record made their trophy outdated.

edit: To be fair now that I'm seeing it in context of the neighbouring trophies it does look a little off.

KdotIX

Finished up my demo experience this evening by setting a 43.870 on The Kart event. I don’t think I’ll get the time to play tomorrow due to work, but might pop on in the morning to see if any events have changed up. But what an experience. This game oozes quality and rewards you big time for continuously pushing yourself past your pre-conceived limits. Glad PD threw us this taster, makes me even more confident that the full title should deliver on its promises.

Looking at the achievements list and it’s interesting to note that all Racing Ettiquete lessons must be completed to unlock Sport mode, hopefully this leads to better racing online.

1lzsj9.png

If those wins and poles are only added from Sport mode, freaking no one is going to get those trophies. Well, perhaps a more accurate statement would be that it's simply not possible for anyone outside the top 1% (or higher) in skill. This platinum will not be possible. Even if your DR ends up in A, since you're racing with other As only the best of the best will ever run up their numbers.

IISANDERII

A couple thoughts...

Although I've enjoyed my time with the demo, I've also realized that this new direction for GT is going to require more time investment, and require it consistently, in order to be at all competitive online. I'm not sure my life has room for that much dedication to one game. I can see myself giving into the hype, playing it heavily for a month, then get distracted by real life and by other games and dropping it. In the old days of GT I could screw around with upgrading cars and play races without worrying about comparing my performance to other people.

Driveclub feels like a game that understood that tension between a desire to get better at a game and rewarding you for simply playing it. You can invest a ton of time into the game and be competitive, but if like me you want to just load it up once in a while, it will still reward you with the feel of driving insanely fast and you will do so in environments that are a real (and often breathtaking) joy to look at, even if you end up not winning many races.

There's a difference of focus between these two games -- one on the feel and the emotions of driving, and the other strictly on the competitive aspect of striving for perfection -- that makes them hard to compare directly, and they really shouldn't be. They each have things they do better than the other.

But even though I want to go whole hog with the competitive aspect, I don't know if that's an honest expectation. I'm guessing that this is the case for many people thinking about picking this up. And if I'm not, am I okay with being in the middle of the pack in every race? Is that worth $60, to never feel like I'm winning? I know this is a more philosophical question, but the stark online focus of the game has me asking it.
In GT5 I was all about winning and won many online races. Towards the end I backed off and what I would do is not put in a qualifying lap so I'd start at the back of the grid and see how many places I could gain. It's fine not winning, just the wheel to wheel action is enough to keep me glued.

I can't compare speak to Drive Club comparisons, I didn't like it much at all.

IKizzLE

What are people thoughts on rally in this game? Never played dirt rally and it took me awhile to get the hang of rally in this but I actually really enjoy it.

Crayon

What are people thoughts on rally in this game? Never played dirt rally and it took me awhile to get the hang of rally in this but I actually really enjoy it.

I only tried a bit. Not crazy about it.

I just tried some of the rally because I wanted to see exactly what I didn't like before. I had only played it once I think.

- The dirt surface is completely static and impervious to everything. You can't blow up a burm or scatter gravel. This is a far cry from what you get in the real dirt. Here nor there really. I don't think any game does this.

- there is no surface features besides undulations of the type that you could also find on asphalt. No ruts, braking bumps, potholes, protruding rock, marbles, deep loam.... Nothing really. Just a dirt road. Which a well groomed rally course would be I guess but there should be at least some of this stuff on a rally-car type scale. There goes a lot of the fun of off road driving right there.

-theres a lack of feedback when the shoulder tread bites in. I'm a courier and some of the routes are off road. When the tire is moving sideways and penetrating the loose top layer instead of rolling forward and floating on top... You can hear it and you can feel it in the steering. This has like... None of that. I think the action is being accounted for in the game because the cars basically drives right, but you can't hardly tell.

Otherwise... It's fine I guess. The stroking of the suspension is actually pretty nice. Overall tho it is not a dynamic off road experience without the feedback and interesting surface features to drive interesting lines over.

It's not awful but it sucks a bit.

Crap. The physics are all over the place, without traction control they handle like they are on ice, can't feel the slip or bite of the surface and ultimately don't really feel like rally cars at all. I have always thought GT has done rally poorly, it's not its forte and misses a lot of the sports rules and formatting i.e. its rally in name only.

In the car class video they say they are inspired by old B class rally cars but they are nothing like them. They lack that raw power, ridiculous acceleration, brutal noise and knife edge handling.

Maybe I need to play about with the car settings more but they don't do what I expect from a rally car at all. The grip in Dirt Rally was always slightly off especially not having the feeling of digging in then catching the bite but there is nothing there at all in the rally in GT.

Neith

Banned

Seemed like garbage physics to me. Not enjoying it at all, and I have no idea why it controls like it does. Will have to try a bit more without any assists on to make a final judgement.

Neith

Banned
I have a duplicate car from gifting. I cannot sell this. Can I sell this in normal game or is this worthless? My gift car luck has been awful for my tastes lol.

Syntsui

What are these racing games that look better than GT Sport? I seriously can't understand these criticism when the direct competitors do a worse job.

I'm sure the trees and mountains would look better if they gave a fuck and made the game 30fps and I'm glad they didn't do that.

dugdug

Banned
I haven’t been keeping up. Are we sure the game won’t be crashing this often when it launches? Cause, like, I can’t even press the options button.

Syntsui

I haven’t been keeping up. Are we sure the game won’t be crashing this often when it launches? Cause, like, I can’t even press the options button.
It didn't crash once and I'm playing every single day. I can press options just fine on the main menu, standard PS4 here.

wbEMX

Wasn't having a lot of fun, despite having played GT4, 5 and 6 for over 300hrs each. The focus on online doesn't click with me very much.

44.86 is the best I can get in the karting @ Kyoto

Respect to you guys getting in the 43s!

Yeah I got into 43s
Turn off all the assists, manual gear
Flat out the whole way hug the inside line on the first curve. Everything is about the one corner where you brake and change down twice. I screw that up even for the 43s but you need to not make a hash of that to get setup for the next two corners to get a good go down the straight.. if you ride the curb you lose some oomph
Also I found it helps to turn down the traction control to 1 or 0 except for that one corner then you turn it up to 3.
This on a controller. I think a wheel with better throttle control you can get 43s reliably.

Having a 43 qualifying time puts you in pole a second ahead of anyone else's time .. at least until you get ranked up? Scared the crap out of me because I hadn't raced anyone yet just wanted to get a 43. Of course i spun half way through and finished 8th :(

Wiped89

So I downloaded this and played 40 minutes before it crashed and force closed (Pro here).

As a long term GT fan (since GT1!) I can say that this absolutely confirms my worst fears for the game's direction. I really dislike the online races, while the 'campaign' events are just the exact same licence tests from the PS1 and PS2 days. I don't mean similar, I mean they are the same tests from the old games with better graphics.

I'm not crazy about the physics or handling either.

Looks amazing graphically of course.

I'm going to give it a miss.

Downloading Forza 7 demo at the moment.

AllenShrz

Looks very good.... except the rally circuits, they look so bland, lifeless, fake.

The grass and the road are totally flat, no bumps, no nothing, just a texture applied to the mesh and that is it. And it doesn't help that the trees look sooooo 2d.

Melfice7

My god if your rating drops is it difficult to get it back up because you're banished to the lobbies where everybody goes out of their way to hit each other.

Should have never done races on that shitty oval last night.

We are brothers now, i did the same mistake of racing on a accident prone track.. and sadly im C now

Only time it crashed for me so far is selecting a video while waiting for a race to load.
It hard locked so I quit the application, then the ps4 rebooted itself. Lost some progress too, a completed license event wasn't saved.

Man I'm not a huge racing person, but picked up Forza 7 and this demo and I'm actually enjoying this quite a bit. The tone of the game is just more calm and joyful than Forza 7, and from what I played I think I enjoy the driving a bit more. I love the implementation of tracks being just marker points of where you should line up for the turns, instead of and actual line that I feel compelled to follow.

I dunno how to judge the actual physics or anything though, from what I played GT feels more responsive but that's probably just because of the cars I've played with in each game and the default tunings on them. I'll probably go back to Forza since I already own the full game, but I quite liked my time with this. I'll probably pick it up if the Car People think it's good too, else just wait for a sale.

Top Bottom