• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport PS4 Pro details

Mascot

What is this? Which 60fps racer do you know never drops frames ever? DF did a framerate test at 4k on Horizon 3 with a 6700k and a Titan Pascal, they said it was 60fps but it still dropped frames, sometimes to 52 fps. It's the same with COD every year, they're known as 60fps titles, until blops somewhat messed that up with some 30fps drops in frames, but if your aim is 60fps and you're generally there, then your title will be called 60fps. That's the way it has always been.

I understand people may want an unflinching 60fps for a racer and I do too. Hell, I think Kaz should ensure that he doesn't go overboard with expensive effects and heighten rez too much at the cost of framerate, but when you make such statements, you're pretending like GT5 and 6 were 30fps racers.....and we all know that not to be the case.
Am I really 'pretending like GT5 and 6 were 30fps racers' or is that something you just said, then projected on to me?

dracula_x

Cool your jets. GT5 and GT6 were promoted as 60fps, and we all know how that turned out.

it wasn't that bad – http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-vs-gran-turismo-6

What is this? Which 60fps racer do you know never drops frames ever? DF did a framerate test at 4k on Horizon 3 with a 6700k and a Titan Pascal, they said it was 60fps but it still dropped frames, sometimes to 52 fps. It's the same with COD every year, they're known as 60fps titles, until blops somewhat messed that up with some 30fps drops in frames, but if your aim is 60fps and you're generally there, then your title will be called 60fps. That's the way it has always been.

I understand people may want an unflinching 60fps for a racer and I do too. Hell, I think Kaz should ensure that he doesn't go overboard with expensive effects and heighten rez too much at the cost of framerate, but when you make such statements, you're pretending like GT5 and 6 were 30fps racers.....and we all know that not to be the case.

^ this too

Haha. Alright, I'll be more specific. They're doing nothing special. For a first party studio making a very special sequel to a very special game with a very special history, their plan for PS4 Pro is just bland. It's like they're not taking advantage of the hardware and add more to the game that they've been blaming the weak hardware for the past 15 years.

They've finally gotten a great console that's powerful enough to run a great game, and all they do is simple shit like checkerboard and 10,0000000 nits. Fucking horseshit.

Give me more detail. More vehicles. More foliage, better visuals. More. Simply making it 4K checkerboard/1800p is WEAK!! It's WEAK because it's something the console offers from the damn get go and doesn't take any effort according to all the devs and Sony themselves.

So here's to Polyphony, a fucking phony. Outdated studio with outdated vision.

As if 10,000,000,000 nits is suppose to make me piss my pants. LOL!!
Horrible horrible posts

c0de

From the article:
From a technology standpoint, Polyphony Digital has always aimed high with support for 1080p resolutions and high frame-rates, but fell short of their 60 frames per second objective as a result. 25 patches later, Gran Turismo 5 still remains perhaps the most ambitious title in the series' history, but there was always a sense that the game never fully delivered on the vision Kazunori Yamauchi set out to achieve on PlayStation 3.

Latimer

Banned
People seem to forgot GT 5 and 6 was also running near 1080 on last gen console while other motorstorm games ran 720p or sub 720p last gen that also didn't have dynamic weather and the sorts

Which was a bad decision as the framerate was bad.

Even the 720p mode couldn't hold 60 a lot of the time.

Haha. Alright, I'll be more specific. They're doing nothing special. For a first party studio making a very special sequel to a very special game with a very special history, their plan for PS4 Pro is just bland. It's like they're not taking advantage of the hardware and add more to the game that they've been blaming the weak hardware for the past 15 years.

They've finally gotten a great console that's powerful enough to run a great game, and all they do is simple shit like checkerboard and 10,0000000 nits. Fucking horseshit.

Give me more detail. More vehicles. More foliage, better visuals. More. Simply making it 4K checkerboard/1800p is WEAK!! It's WEAK because it's something the console offers from the damn get go and doesn't take any effort according to all the devs and Sony themselves.

Holy meltdown.

You do know that having a feature doesn't mean losing every other single feature on the game right? Supporting HDR "properly" is just a bonus. Maybe you expect a 3D artist to be programming that lol.

xrnzaaas

They're not preparing for Pro Pro already? ;p

Ok, enough with the long production jokes. GTS should look awesome on the Pro, but it's sad they can go further by enabling dynamic weather or time of day on the new console.

cooldawn

I'm confused about some of these games only running at 1800p checkerboard. How can more than double the GPU power only get us from 1920x1080 (assumption on my part for GTS on standard, maybe that's not the case) to 1600x1800? I feel like if a game is 1080p on standard PS4 it should be within the capabilities of the Pro to just brute force double the pixel count which is then enough for full 2160p checkerboard.

If they are making a bunch of other enhancements then fine but if not it sounds underwhelming.

So yeah...I agree. I want more, not the same on PS4 Pro. What we've learned is underwhelming so far but, at the same time, I'd argue his vision is still far too advanced for PlayStation hardware to capture everything. It's certainly not outdated, it's too much...

From the article:
From a technology standpoint, Polyphony Digital has always aimed high with support for 1080p resolutions and high frame-rates, but fell short of their 60 frames per second objective as a result. 25 patches later, Gran Turismo 5 still remains perhaps the most ambitious title in the series' history, but there was always a sense that the game never fully delivered on the vision Kazunori Yamauchi set out to achieve on PlayStation 3.
...hence the shortfalls. A combination of technology and features beyond other racing games.

Cool your jets. GT5 and GT6 were promoted as 60fps, and we all know how that turned out.
Like all games...it's not going to be rock-solid. Not in the slightest.

The Forza Motorsport games (excluding the first) hold 60fps 99.9% of the time during gameplay.

GT5 was a mess framerate wise.
A mess...nah. worse than Forza franchise overall, yes. Forza 99.9% of the time...nah.

There's a difference between dropping frames every now and now and hardly ever reaching the target framerate at all like GT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=789LTeCgjjI

Quite the difference.
I don't think anybody denies any version of Forza Motorsport has better frame-rates but Gran Turismo 5 faired well for me, especially with all the additional features other console racers lacked at the time...and still to this day!

Gran Turismo has always been about incredible graphics. In late 2013 GT6 on PS3 was looking better than FM5 on Xbox One (considering the hardware they were running on)
Gran Turismo 5 is better looking than Gran Turismo 6. Actually it's appreciably better looking and to make this distinction relevant it's like one was downscaled and the other was left to be. Gran Turismo 5 is still the most majestic racing game I've ever seen.

I can't wait to get my PS4 Pro but that means I can move my PS3 back in to the living-room and play Gran Turismo 5 again. That's just as exciting for me.

televator

There is no reason to create your assets for 2016 TVs if you are gonna release the game in 2017 and want to use the created assets for years.
And it isn't like it is more work once you established the workflow for ST.2084 and BT.2020 standards.

Also if you would read the article linked in OP the software will handle it so the game operates in the HDR and color range optimized for your TV dynamically, so there is no reason for silly concern trolling.

I didn't get that at all in the article. Nothing about a dynamic tone map that adapts things on the fly. The only thing I see is "GT tone map" which could mean anything. Please do point out something more specific and concrete that you obviously seemed to have caught in the article and don't accuse me of trolling.

Makes me wonder how the GT : Forza word ratio is in this thread.

Oh...

JP

Makes me wonder how the GT : Forza word ratio is in this thread.
Ha, I'd assume it's all the other threads that are about one or the other and it's pretty high and many of the comments will be trying to illustrate a weakness in one game or the other. Neither games are perfect ad they both try to do very different things but I'm always excited when a new game from either series is on the way and I'm glad that they're both trying to do their own thing.

Yeah, this is unfortunate. Not altogether unwarranted though. There needs to be a release date announced soon, and it can't be off in the distant future.
I’m guessing April May next year, it’s PD after all...

But yeah, the constant crapping on GT, the “Forza is better” “GT is a shell of itself” blah blah...it’s just tiresome at this point.

And then you hit them with “but why do you care if it’s so bad?” and the same response over and over again. “I’m a former hardcore fan, it’s a shame to see what has happened to my favorite series”

Just annoying...Can’t wait till the game is out and can show it to all my friends again, sure it’s going to look amazing and hopefully a lot more tracks and cars are added with the delay.

Servbot24

Banned
I’m guessing April May next year, it’s PD after all...

But yeah, the constant crapping on GT, the “Forza is better” “GT is a shell of itself” blah blah...it’s just tiresome at this point.

And then you hit them with “but why do you care if it’s so bad?” and the same response over and over again. “I’m a former hardcore fan, it’s a shame to see what has happened to my favorite series”

Just annoying...Can’t wait till the game is out and can show it to all my friends again, sure it’s going to look amazing and hopefully a lot more tracks and cars are added with the delay.
That response is valid in general. However GT5 was a great game, so I'm not sure why it applies.

Latimer

Banned
What on earth are you guys talking about?

I'm the only person who mentioned Forza and it was to do with framerates, nothing else.

A mess...nah. worse than Forza franchise overall, yes. Forza 99.9% of the time...nah.

I don't think anybody denies any version of Forza Motorsport has better frame-rates but Gran Turismo 5 faired well for me, especially with all the additional features other console racers lacked at the time...and still to this day!
I must have had a bad copy of GT5 then, the rally tracks especially were abysmal performance wise, felt 40-50 constantly with tearing all over the shop.

televator

What on earth are you guys talking about?

I'm the only person who mentioned Forza and it was to do with framerates, nothing else.

I must have had a bad copy of GT5 then, the rally tracks especially were abysmal performance wise, felt 40-50 constantly with tearing all over the shop.

Yeah 90% of the Forza "shit post" mentions are ironically from defensive shaddow boxers that came in to defend the honor of PD and the GT franchise against a supposed horde of Forza fanboys. I think Forza's alright, but I don't even like it enough to say I'm an avid fan of the series.

Noobcraft

The only reason Forza Motorsport 6 should be mentioned here is for the performance. It's probably the most consistent 60fps title available on console (if we're talking gameplay) in terms of holding that target, and it happens to be in the same genre as GT Sport. It's reasonable, especially for the pro version, to expect a locked 60 fps experience out of GT Sport. Then again it is Polyphony Digital and their last two titles haven't been able to hold steady framerates in many situations.

The only reason Forza Motorsport 6 should be mentioned here is for the performance. It's probably the most consistent 60fps title available on console (if we're talking gameplay) in terms of holding that target, and it happens to be in the same genre as GT Sport. It's reasonable, especially for the pro version, to expect a locked 60 fps experience out of GT Sport. Then again it is Polyphony Digital and their last two titles haven't been able to hold steady framerates in many situations.

Why should Forza being mentioned in a thread about support of 4K TV features like HDR and color range?

Then talk about the support of such features in the Forza Motorsport series at least. And not posting nonsense like why is Sports not open world like Horizon.

Latimer

Banned
Why should Forza being mentioned in a thread about support of 4K TV features like HDR and color range?

Then talk about the support of such features in the Forza Motorsport series at least. And not posting nonsense like why is Sports not open world like Horizon.

Because I was replying to this quote

"Which 60fps racer do you know never drops frames ever?"

from
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=223205899&postcount=147

Forza Motorpsort came to mind immediately as they're some of the most stable 60fps games in general on console.

televator

All ps4 support HDR now

Only 4k TVs have HDR but og ps4 can output 1080p with HDR to a 4k HDR set

Right, all the same if you only have a 1080p TV. HDR is for UHD 4k TVs. I'd love to have HDR in 1080p to my non 4k TV as my TV does have a higher native color range to at least experiment with.

Well, seems like we really learn somthing new every day. Now, it seems that GT 5 and 6 FPS mess weren't all that ridiculous just because reasons.

GT threads are so funny.

It is, which is why when I ask what benefits are there for 1080p only owners and someone says HDR I giggle a little.

Maybe you should realize that you won't get answers to your question in a tech presentation titled "Technical Vision for Gran Turismo on PS4 (Pro)".

Chronos24

sunshineendingmyj8q.gif

What's that from?

cooldawn

Maybe, like when I play The Division it's sometimes stutters all over the place from v1.4 but it doesn't seem to affect everyone. Saying that though...you played Gran Turismo Rally. It's awful. Why would you even go there in the first place?! Ha.

My experience wasn't choppy nor stable. It was perfectly serviceable with unobtrusive dips. Never a slide show or anything like that bad. I'm talking from it's very final update pre-Gran Turismo 6 (although it never was bad for me throughout you could tell performance got better over time). Tearing was an issue to begin with but it stabilised too.

Mind you I also preferred the IQ at 720p, so that's the mode I used.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Dolby HDR supports up to 10.000 nits (yeah, I did my homework), but for now, even the best TVs barely manage 4.000 nits. HDR10 stops at 1.000 nits. Furthermore, in order to reach 5.000+ nits, you basically need an OLED TV.

So even if a 10.000 nits TV arrives next year, it will be super-high end and expensive as fuck.

The brightest TV available is the Sony Z9 at about 1800 nits. We have a long way to go.

Top Bottom