• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport PS4 Pro details

Lixhul

Banned
I'm still so confused about PS4 Pro. If I have a 1080p screen (like 95% of PS4 owners), will I see any improvements in image quality if I buy the console over the original PS4?

Loudninja

I'm still so confused about PS4 Pro. If I have a 1080p screen (like 95% of PS4 owners), will I see any improvements in image quality if I buy the console over the original PS4?
Yes.

Infamous Second Son
. The increased resolution improves this and many other alias issues. And if you don’t have a 4K TV, you’ll still see a smoother image as the PS4 Pro will scale down to match your 1080p display
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/11/04/infamous-second-son-first-light-showcase-power-of-ps4-pro/

jett

D-Member
I think people arguing about checkerboard 4k and native 4k are gonna be hard pressed to tell the difference. Every impression of people who have seen it have said as such.

It's funny how we've gone back all the way round to the beginning of the gen with the 900p vs 1080p disucssion.

In the case of this game it's not even reaching 4K with checkerboard rendering. Whether some can tell the difference or not, it's really not 4K on any level. At least Sony seems to be fairly open to how they're rendering Pro titles.

Unknown?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was 4K. They DID get 1080 on the PS2 after all. But even if not it will still look amazing.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Screens, video would be harder to tell due to compression.
Well...
www.eurogamer.net/amp/digitalfoundr...-fCcHv32Ly4NCOPQw&sig2=KIwYlII51NwohjSCSiJvJg
At the PlayStation Meeting, Crystal Dynamics were only showing the 4K mode. We've played a fair amount of this title recently, on both the Titan X Pascal and dual GTX 1080 SLI. It is, quite frankly, one of the finest 4K gaming experiences available. PS4 Pro is compromised a touch - it looks a little softer, and quality presets are pared back - but the core of the experience, the 'upgrade factor' over 1080p if you like, is there. This was by far and away the best third party 4K title we saw at the PlayStation Meeting.
If tomb raider is running 4k checkerboard and got these impressions, im more than okay with that.
It's funny how we've gone back all the way round to the beginning of the gen with the 900p vs 1080p disucssion.
Im not saying checkerboard looks better or on par. That would be wrong to say. But i believe DF has stated you have to be very close to the screen to tell a difference.

900p to 1080p is more apparent, in my experience.

Latimer

Banned
Well...
www.eurogamer.net/amp/digitalfoundr...-fCcHv32Ly4NCOPQw&sig2=KIwYlII51NwohjSCSiJvJg
If tomb raider is running 4k checkerboard and got these impressions, im more than okay with that.

Im not saying checkerboard looks better or on par. That would wrong to say. But i believe DF has stated you have to be very close to the screen to tell a difference.

Yes, it looked softer and had more artefacts, it still looked good, but no quite native 4k good. I'm sure if you sit back far enough you'll see much less of a difference but of course you lose detail in general by doing so.

Why put 4k at the top of the post? It's not 4k.

Gy0lbzk.png

jett

D-Member
Well...

Im not saying checkerboard looks better or on par. That would wrong to say. But i believe DF has stated you have to be very close to the screen to tell a difference.

Well it's probably true if only because of the massive density in pixels. But just like 1080p vs 900p, I figure it's all about the size of the screen and how close you're sitting, heh.

Getting to 1800p probably makes more sense compared to 2160p checkerboard for the Pro. It's only a 40% increase in resolution from 1080p, means you have more spare power for further improvements. Focusing on native or even checkerboard 4K is kind of a waste for any graphically intensive game at this point in time. You look at the (early) Horizon Pro footage and it's not even reaching 30fps. Why bother?

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Sub-1080p is more apparent because of pixel density on large size screens. 1080p still looks good on 50-65" displays, anything higher is going to look that much better. It's not just about native res.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Yes, it looked softer and had more artefacts, it still looked good, but no quite native 4k good. I'm sure if you sit back far enough you'll see much less of a difference but of course you lose detail in general by doing so.
For 100 bucks more, ill gladly take it if it looks as good as they say.

Well it's probably true if only because of the massive density in pixels. But just like 1080p vs 900p, I figure it's all about the size of the screen and how close you're sitting, heh.

Getting to 1800p probably makes more sense compared to 2160p checkerboard for the Pro. It's only a 40% increase in resolution from 1080p, means you have more spare power for further improvements. Focusing on native or even checkerboard 4K is kind of a waste for any graphically intensive game at this point in time. You look at the (early) Horizon Pro footage and it's not even reaching 30fps. Why bother?
I agree. Anything higher than 1080p i think framerate starts to matter more.
Sub-1080p is more apparent because of pixel density on large size screens. 1080p still looks good on 50-65" displays, anything higher is going to look that much better. It's not just about native res.
Also true. This is very apparent when people look at the titanfall thread and wonder why they cant see a difference on their 4k phone screens.

spwolf

In the case of this game it's not even reaching 4K with checkerboard rendering. Whether some can tell the difference or not, it's really not 4K on any level. At least Sony seems to be fairly open to how they're rendering Pro titles.

lol, of course it is reaching 4K, thats why they say they are using checkerboard from 1800p. And it has nothing to do with 900p vs 1080p, plenty of screens available by now.

But please continue...

jett

D-Member
lol, of course it is reaching 4K, thats why they say they are using checkerboard from 1800p. And it has nothing to do with 900p vs 1080p, plenty of screens available by now.

But please continue...

It's already being explained in the thread. This game is using checkerboard rendering to get to 1800p, means it's running internally at 1600x1800. With checkerboard you "double" the resolution, and you reach 3200x1800. After that you upscale to get to 4K display resolution. It's like a two-step process.

Other games like, Horizon and Days Gone, use 2160p checkerboard. Run internally at 1920x2160, and with checkerboard you double that to reach 3840x2160.

I mean, with Gran Turismo it's like saying 900p games "reach" 1080p.

sja_626

I'm confused about some of these games only running at 1800p checkerboard. How can more than double the GPU power only get us from 1920x1080 (assumption on my part for GTS on standard, maybe that's not the case) to 1600x1800? I feel like if a game is 1080p on standard PS4 it should be within the capabilities of the Pro to just brute force double the pixel count which is then enough for full 2160p checkerboard.

If they are making a bunch of other enhancements then fine but if not it sounds underwhelming.

jett

D-Member
I'm confused about some of these games only running at 1800p checkerboard. How can more than double the GPU power only get us from 1920x1080 (assumption on my part for GTS on standard, maybe that's not the case) to 1600x1800? I feel like if a game is 1080p on standard PS4 it should be within the capabilities of the Pro to just brute force double the pixel count which is then enough for full 2160p checkerboard.

If they are making a bunch of other enhancements then fine but if not it sounds underwhelming.

We can only hope that's the case. Using all of the Pro's added power exclusively on resolution is a waste as far as I'm concerned.

There is 2.3x the float performance, but there isn't 2.3x the bandwidth. There's only like a 20 to 30% bump in the bandwidth, or 1.3x as much bandwidth.

You need significantly more bandwidth to render at higher native resolutions.

And it's not underwhelming at all. Expecting a $399 box coming out this soon to do any more is just a problem of mismatched expectations and reality.

Do you know that 1600x1800 is still higher resolution than 1920x1080 right? That's without even knowing the quality of checkerboard that doubles the horizontal resolution to 3200 pixels.

And do you know this title is targeting 60fps and not 30, right?

Your expectations seem a little bit high

televator

10K nits?! HDTVs aren't even capable of that yet. And wont be for a very long time. I guess it's nice to be future proof, but this is an iterative series. Plus, many current HDTVs will truncate that in some rather poor ways and cause clipping anyway...

Edit: 60fps, halle-fucking-lujah!

sja_626

Do you know that 1600x1800 is still higher resolution than 1920x1080 right? That's without even knowing the quality of checkerboard that doubles the horizontal resolution to 3200 pixels.

And do you know this title is targeting 60fps and not 30, right?

Your expectations seem a little bit high

Of course I know that. But it's not enormously higher (<40%). We're seeing other games go a fair bit higher than this natively. The Witness for example which also targets 60 is pushing a lot more pixels at 1440p (but no checkerboard, so this approach may well look better in the end).

My comment was purely that if putting all the extra resources into higher resolution I'm a little bit surprised it's not more of an increase, that's all. I'm not disappointed or passing judgement. I'm sure the developers know what will deliver the best results for their game. The reply earlier about bandwidth increases not being proportional to floating point performance improvement was a good one too, and like I mentioned, we don't really have any idea what else PD might be doing behind the scenes in Pro mode.

So it's been delayed, what's the latest on its release?

As Mascot said, not going to believe this is 60fps until I'm playing it.

10K nits?! HDTVs aren't even capable of that yet. And wont be for a very long time. I guess it's nice to be future proof, but this is an iterative series. Plus, many current HDTVs will truncate that in some rather poor ways and cause clipping anyway...

Edit: 60fps, halle-fucking-lujah!

There is no reason to create your assets for 2016 TVs if you are gonna release the game in 2017 and want to use the created assets for years.
And it isn't like it is more work once you established the workflow for ST.2084 and BT.2020 standards.

Also if you would read the article linked in OP the software will handle it so the game operates in the HDR and color range optimized for your TV dynamically, so there is no reason for silly concern trolling.

Of course I know that. But it's not enormously higher (<40%). We're seeing other games go a fair bit higher than this natively. The Witness for example which also targets 60 is pushing a lot more pixels at 1440p (but no checkerboard, so this approach may well look better in the end).

My comment was purely that if putting all the extra resources into higher resolution I'm a little bit surprised it's not more of an increase, that's all. I'm not disappointed or passing judgement. I'm sure the developers know what will deliver the best results for their game. The reply earlier about bandwidth increases not being proportional to floating point performance improvement was a good one too, and like I mentioned, we don't really have any idea what else PD might be doing behind the scenes in Pro mode.

All true, but you know that PD will be pushing the graphics big time compared to the Witness.

On standard PS4 big titles that target 60fps with super graphics are 900p (like DICE games), so if you consider that, 1800p is not surprising (at least not to me)

Again, we don't know how good checkerboard actually is yet.

Popsickles

Have i missed something because i read the 4k bit as that it renders at 1800 then upscales to 4k not that it upscales to 1800p that would be crazy.

I hope such TVs will be out next year.

Dolby HDR supports up to 10.000 nits (yeah, I did my homework), but for now, even the best TVs barely manage 4.000 nits. HDR10 stops at 1.000 nits. Furthermore, in order to reach 5.000+ nits, you basically need an OLED TV.

So even if a 10.000 nits TV arrives next year, it will be super-high end and expensive as fuck.

Well, I don't know shagg_187. It all sounds pretty special to me, I have to say.

You know that video games are made out of technical mumbo jumbo, right.

Haha. Alright, I'll be more specific. They're doing nothing special. For a first party studio making a very special sequel to a very special game with a very special history, their plan for PS4 Pro is just bland. It's like they're not taking advantage of the hardware and add more to the game that they've been blaming the weak hardware for the past 15 years.

They've finally gotten a great console that's powerful enough to run a great game, and all they do is simple shit like checkerboard and 10,0000000 nits. Fucking horseshit.

Give me more detail. More vehicles. More foliage, better visuals. More. Simply making it 4K checkerboard/1800p is WEAK!! It's WEAK because it's something the console offers from the damn get go and doesn't take any effort according to all the devs and Sony themselves.

So here's to Polyphony, a fucking phony. Outdated studio with outdated vision.

As if 10,000,000,000 nits is suppose to make me piss my pants. LOL!!

thelastword

Banned
Cool your jets. GT5 and GT6 were promoted as 60fps, and we all know how that turned out.
What is this? Which 60fps racer do you know never drops frames ever? DF did a framerate test at 4k on Horizon 3 with a 6700k and a Titan Pascal, they said it was 60fps but it still dropped frames, sometimes to 52 fps. It's the same with COD every year, they're known as 60fps titles, until blops somewhat messed that up with some 30fps drops in frames, but if your aim is 60fps and you're generally there, then your title will be called 60fps. That's the way it has always been.

I understand people may want an unflinching 60fps for a racer and I do too. Hell, I think Kaz should ensure that he doesn't go overboard with expensive effects and heighten rez too much at the cost of framerate, but when you make such statements, you're pretending like GT5 and 6 were 30fps racers.....and we all know that not to be the case.

Latimer

Banned
What is this? Which 60fps racer do you know never drops frames ever? DF did a framerate test at 4k on Horizon 3 with a 6700k and a Titan Pascal, they said it was 60fps but it still dropped frames, sometimes to 52 fps. It's the same with COD every year, they're known as 60fps titles, until blops somewhat messed that up with some 30fps drops in frames, but if your aim is 60fps and you're generally there, then your title will be called 60fps. That's the way it has always been.

I understand people may want an unflinching 60fps for a racer and I do too. Hell, I think Kaz should ensure that he doesn't go overboard with expensive effects and heighten rez too much at the cost of framerate, but when you make such statements, you're pretending like GT5 and 6 were 30fps racers.....and we all know that not to be the case.
The Forza Motorsport games (excluding the first) hold 60fps 99.9% of the time during gameplay.

GT5 was a mess framerate wise.

JP

Haha. Alright, I'll be more specific. They're doing nothing special. For a first party studio making a very special sequel to a very special game with a very special history, their plan for PS4 Pro is just bland. It's like they're not taking advantage of the hardware and add more to the game that they've been blaming the weak hardware for the past 15 years.

They've finally gotten a great console that's powerful enough to run a great game, and all they do is simple shit like checkerboard and 10,0000000 nits. Fucking horseshit.

Give me more detail. More vehicles. More foliage, better visuals. More. Simply making it 4K checkerboard/1800p is WEAK!! It's WEAK because it's something the console offers from the damn get go and doesn't take any effort according to all the devs and Sony themselves.

I'm not sure the PS4 Pro is designed for you, you're better off just waiting for the PS5 as they've been very clear from the start that you aren't going to get what you are looking for on any iteration of the PS4.

Checkerboard is simple? You have no idea what are you talking about. And we don't know about other graphics upgrades YET but they will do it.

Gran Turismo has always been about incredible graphics. In late 2013 GT6 on PS3 was looking better than FM5 on Xbox One (considering the hardware they were running on)

Top Bottom